Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
edit: I misunderstood.

sorry for snype :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Not really a thing I just realized, but I always have to be reminded the REO Speedwagon is a car as well as a band.

What is a thing I just learned is that the car is pronounced "ree-oh" instead of spelled out.

I didn't know the pronunciation either. Thinking back, I'm not sure I've actually heard anyone speak about the car company outside of the context of the band, so they probably had no reason to know better either.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

e: double post thanks to internet troubles

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Alton Brown is a white dude. Apparently the black chef I thought was named Alton Brown is actually named Ainsley Harriott. I don't really watch food shows so I've only heard the name Alton and seen the Ainsley memes (and thought it was Alton in the memes).

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

AKA Pseudonym posted:

What is a thing I just learned is that the car is pronounced "ree-oh" instead of spelled out.

Is this legit? I have never heard it this way in any form, only ever spelled out. But I am also just finding out that it was the name of a car first, so gently caress me, I don't know poo poo. :shrug:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I drive a jay ee ee peeeee!

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Ommin posted:

Is this legit? I have never heard it this way in any form, only ever spelled out. But I am also just finding out that it was the name of a car first, so gently caress me, I don't know poo poo. :shrug:

Did not know Oldsmobile was literally named after a guy named Olds. And he also did Daytona in the late 1800's.

His name is REO and he races on the sand, just lost a rivet twisting through a dusty land

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Ommin posted:

Applies only to the car, not the band. According to Wikipedia anyway.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My dad was a car guy and an REO Speedwagon guy so I was given The Talk at a young age.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Applies only to the car, not the band. According to Wikipedia anyway.
Thank you. I thought I was going mad.

credburn posted:

My dad was a car guy and an REO Speedwagon guy so I was given The Talk at a young age.
My dad was also both. This is yet another way he failed me.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Koala's March is a cookie brand :cripes:

I was in a checkout line and saw a box and must have looked like :stare:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grumio posted:

Better than having a fall down laughing fit which im not sure I could have prevented

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Ommin posted:

Yeah it's legit. The neighborhood in Lansing, MI where the factory was is still called REO Town (pronounced Ree-oh Town).

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Grumio posted:

I did the same thing last week when I saw the box on the shelf with the little koala mascot, same as their avatar.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have always been annoyed when in(now older) movies and TV, when they would fast forward a tape, it would have sped up audio. That never happens! I have used dozens of VCRs in my time, and none of them ever played the sped up audio when you fast forwarded. I get that sometimes it was done for comedic effect, but there are still plenty of examples where there is no joke about "fast talking people" or whatever. So why do producers/editors put that in there?

Well, thanks to the latest Technology Connections video, I think I found out why!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGVVAQVdEOs

If you don't want to watch a 40 minute video (but you should), here it is time stamped to the relevant spot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGVVAQVdEOs&t=2040s

The professional quality Betacam tape decks that directors/producers/editors in TV (and maybe movies, if just for watching the Dailys) DO speed up the audio when fast-forwarding. So I guess the people working with this professional equipment just get used to that occurring, so maybe feel obligated to put that Foley in there?

Edit: V V V Ahh, so it just might be a "professional-level decks did this in general" type of thing. I'm sure MAYBE there was some high-level consumer/pro-sumer one that did, but I've never encountered one. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:40 on May 10, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have always been annoyed when in(now older) movies and TV, when they would fast forward a tape, it would have sped up audio. That never happens! I have used dozens of VCRs in my time, and none of them ever played the sped up audio when you fast forwarded. I get that sometimes it was done for comedic effect, but there are still plenty of examples where there is no joke about "fast talking people" or whatever. So why do producers/editors put that in there?

Well, thanks to the latest Technology Connections video, I think I found out why!

The professional quality Betacam tape decks that directors/producers/editors in TV (and maybe movies, if just for watching the Dailys) DO speed up the audio when fast-forwarding. So I guess the people working with this professional equipment just get used to that occurring, so maybe feel obligated to put that Foley in there?

not just for beta —- I worked with SVHS decks that also did this

Edit: most machines to edit magnetic media, actually.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had a stereo that had a normal fast-forward button which was super fast, and a special fast forward button that wasn't quite as fast but would play the sped up audio for, I assume, the purpose of hearing the silent gap between tracks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

on most tape decks ive ever had, you could hit play & then push in ffw kinda halfway to get sped up audio :rock:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

on most tape decks ive ever had, you could hit play & then push in ffw kinda halfway to get sped up audio :rock:

Lol, my dad used to yell at me to stop doing that so I wouldn't wreck the tapes. And oddly enough, many of my tapes had bad, warbly sound :iiam:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You generally don't want to keep the read head down while going really fast because it can mess up the tape, especially with thinner cassette tape. If you're editing, you want to be able to cue the tape to just the right spot, and that means listening to it.

I think in movies and TV is generally just to tell the audience that they're skipping ahead or rewinding instead of pausing or stopping the tape.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Edith Prickley and Edna Boil are sisters.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I drive a jay ee ee peeeee!

And now if you look up where the term jeep (probably) came from...

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was dimly aware some decks did that, but had the same thought yesterday while watching. It's not strictly necessary to show that it's rewinding/fast-forwarding (if the video is moving rapidly too), but I wouldn't be surprised if people put it in because it didn't occur to them how many consumer devices don't do that. It's like the dial tone as soon as someone hangs up on you: I forget the exact details, but apparently it really does (or did) work that way in California or some part of it, so movie and TV editors put in what they knew, not realizing most of the country didn't experience identical hangups. Hmm. Did I learn that from TC too?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

These ubiquitous things were Tupperware

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh man, I remember those from childhood. When you had put all the cheese slices into the box and shook it, it made a hella noise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I thought they were the matrix from the transformers

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

These ubiquitous things were Tupperware

hitting a primal memory about gumming on those shapes

Grognan has a new favorite as of 08:10 on May 13, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grognan posted:

hitting a primal memory about gumming on those shapes

We have so much microplastics in our system because it's so fuken tasty!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Harvey TWH posted:

And now if you look up where the term jeep (probably) came from...

I was dimly aware some decks did that, but had the same thought yesterday while watching. It's not strictly necessary to show that it's rewinding/fast-forwarding (if the video is moving rapidly too), but I wouldn't be surprised if people put it in because it didn't occur to them how many consumer devices don't do that. It's like the dial tone as soon as someone hangs up on you: I forget the exact details, but apparently it really does (or did) work that way in California or some part of it, so movie and TV editors put in what they knew, not realizing most of the country didn't experience identical hangups. Hmm. Did I learn that from TC too?

Movies use unrealistic sounds effects all the time for all sorts of different things; animals, firearms, cars, tools, etc. Its not a case of the sounds editors being big dummies who can't tell a bald eagle from a red tailled hawk; there was just a decision made at some point that one sound effect was more satifying and communicated more clearly when paired with the footage. In this case, the sound editor or whoever thought (correctly imo) that sped up/reversed tape audio sounded better than a quiet click-whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr-clunk.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hardcordion posted:

Movies use unrealistic sounds effects all the time for all sorts of different things; animals, firearms, cars, tools, etc. Its not a case of the sounds editors being big dummies who can't tell a bald eagle from a red tailled hawk; there was just a decision made at some point that one sound effect was more satifying and communicated more clearly when paired with the footage. In this case, the sound editor or whoever thought (correctly imo) that sped up/reversed tape audio sounded better than a quiet click-whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr-clunk.

Remember when bullets always made gigantic "kapwiiing" sounds? And yeah, gun firing sounds especially are routinely faked, typically by making the gun sound bigger than it ought to. This is also one of those things where the sound designers have to play to the audience's expectations, though. The little "chirp" sound made by a silenced gun is of course laughably unrealistic, but it's also what a significant body of the audience understands to indicate "a silenced gun was just fired". So even if you know it's unrealistic and they know it's unrealistic, if what you're trying to communicate is "silenced gun firing", you gotta use that chirp. Or teach the audience "hey, in this movie, silenced guns sound like a staple gun firing".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Remember when bullets always made gigantic "kapwiiing" sounds? And yeah, gun firing sounds especially are routinely faked, typically by making the gun sound bigger than it ought to. This is also one of those things where the sound designers have to play to the audience's expectations, though. The little "chirp" sound made by a silenced gun is of course laughably unrealistic, but it's also what a significant body of the audience understands to indicate "a silenced gun was just fired". So even if you know it's unrealistic and they know it's unrealistic, if what you're trying to communicate is "silenced gun firing", you gotta use that chirp. Or teach the audience "hey, in this movie, silenced guns sound like a staple gun firing".

One of my favourite stereotypical uses of cinematic sound language is when characters enter a dingy alleyway in the bad part of town where they're certain to bump into some unsavoury characters and the sound design guys inevitably throw in a sound clip of a screeching cat to indicate that the situation is tense and danger is just around the corner. Once you start noticing it you'll hear it pretty much every single time any characters walk down a dingy alley, it's really ubiquitous.

The other cliched use of a screeching cat is as a jump scare to defuse a really tense situation ...... the hero will be approaching the door where they think the killer might be hiding and the creepy music swells to a crescendo and then they throw open the door and SUDDENLY ..... a cat jumps out with a screech. Whoops no killer here, we got you all worked up for nothing!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxauTJpY-hg

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

*Puffs away on tobacco pipe, sound of match being struck plays with each puff*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dip Viscous posted:

*Puffs away on tobacco pipe, sound of match being struck plays with each puff*

In front of a small fireplace that sounds like a bonfire full of sticks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My favorite movie and TV gun sounds are how pistols are just constant noisemakers. Not just racking the slide or something, the constant stream of tactical clicky-clack noises they make whenever someone holds them up or aims them at anything.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Every knife makes a shweeeen

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Night vision goggles make a tcheeeeeee

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Every computer monitor makes a dededede

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Every rusty gate / locker door makes the exact same sound when opening

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Splendid posted:

Every rusty gate / locker door makes the exact same sound when opening

It's really distracting to watch a movie and hear a stock sound effect like helicopter.wav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The "ribbit" sound of frogs is only the cry of one very specific kind of frog that you find around Hollywood. Different species make all kinds of noises, which sound nothing like movie frogs