Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/ijMnyY4.mp4

edit for spicy rubiks cube

https://i.imgur.com/I66F2Bq.mp4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1656931513311567873?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

hosed around

Found out

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

mycrimes.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

These David Blaine escape tricks are getting weirder and weirder.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know the answer is " he didn't have one", but what's the thought here?
Is the plane so cheap that getting more viewers is worth crashing it? If you post the videos you sure as hell aren't getting any insurance money, because clearly it was your fault and not posting the videos doesn't increase your viewership. And the crash wasn't even cool.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I think he assumed that his brilliant ruse of "oh no the engine just died, better immediately bail out without attempting anything else" would convince everyone that it was an authentic malfunction and not just him shutting the engine off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Hel posted:

I know the answer is " he didn't have one", but what's the thought here?
Is the plane so cheap that getting more viewers is worth crashing it? If you post the videos you sure as hell aren't getting any insurance money, because clearly it was your fault and not posting the videos doesn't increase your viewership. And the crash wasn't even cool.

Just looked, and the market rate seems to be $20-30k for a WW2 era model of that plane. IIRC Trevor bought that one as a junker and swapped the engine out, I speculate for a better trade value. That amount seems workable if you can pull in millions of views.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Is that being quenched in water? What's the source of the flames? How do they keep coming up after it's submerged?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Forgot to refuel 4/10

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

nomad2020 posted:

Just looked, and the market rate seems to be $20-30k for a WW2 era model of that plane. IIRC Trevor bought that one as a junker and swapped the engine out, I speculate for a better trade value. That amount seems workable if you can pull in millions of views.

The possible 20 years in jail may incur an opportunity cost that was not factored in.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

The possible 20 years in jail may incur an opportunity cost that was not factored in.
I think you mean 21,900 free meals?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, I agree. There's 0% chance he thought that his clever ruse would fail.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

GotLag posted:

Is that being quenched in water? What's the source of the flames? How do they keep coming up after it's submerged?

It's probably being quenched in oil.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

GotLag posted:

It's SO hot it sets the water on fire.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i've watched enough forged in fire to know an oil quench. i'm sort of a blacksmith by proxy you see.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
To be clear, he's facing jail time not for crashing the plane, but for obstructing the NTSB investigation. He told them he didn't know where the crash site was, despite filming himself visiting it, and retrieved and disposed of some of the wreckage. And this is all coming out because he made a plea deal and admitted it so he probably won't get the full 20 years

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/05/youtuber-who-crashed-plane-admits-he-did-it-for-money-and-views/

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 13, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
He will get nowhere near 20 years. It's standard for reporters to just talk about the statutory maximum to tart up their stories, but hardly anyone receives the statutory maximum.

https://www.popehat.com/2013/02/05/crime-whale-sushi-sentence-eleventy-million-years/

quote:

Federal sentences are calculated using the United States Sentencing Guidelines. (The usually very user-friendly United States Sentencing Commission site is under construction at the time of this writing; usually I'd link you there.) The guidelines are a very complex set of rules used to calculate a federal sentence based upon the crime charged, the circumstances of the case, and the criminal record of the defendant. Calculating a very simple sentence is like completing a very simple tax return under, say, 1040-EZ; a complex sentence is like completing a tax return for a troubled entity engaged in questionable tax practices. Or, for you old-school geeks, like creating a Runequest character for a friend who is an argumentative rules-lawyer. From the enactment of the guidelines in the 1980s until United States v. Booker in 2005, the guidelines were binding upon federal judges — they had to follow the guidelines unless there were grounds for a "departure," meaning the rare circumstance not contemplated by the guidelines. Guidelines-application litigation was time-consuming, tedious, and generally despised by trial and appellate judges. In 2005, the Supreme Court decided to construe the guidelines as mere recommendations which federal judges must consider, thus avoiding the Constitutional dilemma of the sentencing judge making findings of fact driving the sentence without a jury's input. Now, federal judges calculate and consider guidelines sentences, but make their own determination, taking into account the factors required by federal statute. Appellate courts review trial judges' sentences for "reasonableness," in which adherence to the guidelines is one factor. Sentences within the guidelines are presumed reasonable. Most federal judges tend to issue sentences close to the guidelines; some impose sentences below, but it's rarer to see one impose a sentence above.

With few exceptions — usually relating to murder, or terrorism, or huge drug cases — guideline sentences are far less than statutory maximums.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If he had just not tampered with the wreckage and lied to federal agents, he probably could have gotten away with surrendering his pilot certificate and not going to jail.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if only he had some way to take to the air and travel long distances so as to escape the long arm of the law

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
A little pre-OSHA via the comics thread:

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 13-15, 1941)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Hkeam8X.mp4

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

TjyvTompa posted:

You are a woman then? They told me women feel like they are peeing themselves while men feel like they are making GBS threads themselves. Something to do with the amount of nerves in the prostate vs. the clitoris. At least that's what I was told.

They lied to you.

The Lone Badger posted:

"This stuff is so dangerous we refuse to even hold the syringe with our actual hands. Now which arm do you want it in?"

Its injected at pressure so that it will perfuse your whole body quickly. Depending on the scan it is only in the right place for a few tens of seconds at most.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Somewhere, mustard man shudders.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

haveblue posted:

To be clear, he's facing jail time not for crashing the plane, but for obstructing the NTSB investigation. He told them he didn't know where the crash site was, despite filming himself visiting it, and retrieved and disposed of some of the wreckage. And this is all coming out because he made a plea deal and admitted it so he probably won't get the full 20 years

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/05/youtuber-who-crashed-plane-admits-he-did-it-for-money-and-views/

Knowing how these things so often go, the NTSB will probably proudly announce that he ended up with 120 hours of community service and a fine of $1500 like they loving caught Al Capone or something.

He’ll then post a video on YouTube titled “120 HOUR GATED COMMUNITY CROSSING GUARD LIVESTREAM CHALLENGE???” with a thumbnail of him making the 😱 face and make ten times the fine.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm always delighted by people with incredibly poor motor planning.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I always feel incredibly sorry for them… we’ve all been there but on a much smaller scale spilling a drink or something.

Like Kevin’s chili from the office lol

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

It'd be really loving dumb and a mockery of the law if some rich white kid could just purposefully crash a plane with no real punishment.

lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

action is being taken because america was once traumatized by planes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kith posted:

action is being taken because america was once traumatized by planes

You're right, this could be America's 9/11

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Mother in law suite. Best view in the family and the first to die in a rollover crash. Win win.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The tow bar made me think this was just a stationary contraption, but no, the thing sticking down in to the hood of the Suburban is apparently connecting the steering up in to the Aerostar according to this article: https://autos.yahoo.com/bp/top-minivan-stacked-suv-ultimate-hunting-party-ride-143928128.html

Also props to Google Lens for not only finding that article but correctly identifying both vehicles.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1657592253085360128?s=20

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1657596862159806464

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
Re: MRI chat. I was never told it'd feel like i was pissing myself, only that it'd feel a little warm :shrug:. CT the on the other hand makes my was more and throat itch, so they don't give more that anymore.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Re: MRI chat. I was never told it'd feel like i was pissing myself, only that it'd feel a little warm :shrug:. CT the on the other hand makes my was more and throat itch, so they don't give more that anymore.

To be clear ct contrast makes it feel like you pissed yourself. MRI contrast usually gives a metallic aftertaste.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
The fun thing is humans don't have a sense that tells us something is wet. Our brain figures it out from temp, textures and circumstances. That's why a spreading warmth in your crotch makes your brain say "I think we pissed ourselves". It's also why I hate when coworkers would leave the heated seats on in a vehicle and I would feel them as I started down the road.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Atticus_1354 posted:

The fun thing is humans don't have a sense that tells us something is wet. Our brain figures it out from temp, textures and circumstances. That's why a spreading warmth in your crotch makes your brain say "I think we pissed ourselves". It's also why I hate when coworkers would leave the heated seats on in a vehicle and I would feel them as I started down the road.

I hate to break it to you this way, but those seats were never in working order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

All that needs is a few yards of duct tape and it'd look like something from the Red Green Show.