Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tesseraction posted:

No he was definitely a boy.

Can you make it any more obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've noticed alot of 'secure' websites have been really slow for me lately-my Wells Fargo and capitalone credit card pages, now the AT&T website where I pay my bill. I'm using chrome on desktop, I think uBlock Origin is the only extension I'm really running. Is this a chrome problem or an extension problem or an internet connection problem or problem on the website end?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Try going to one of those sites in a private browsing window and see if things go back to normal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

McCracAttack posted:

Try going to one of those sites in a private browsing window and see if things go back to normal.

That seems to help a little bit?

E: eh, maybe not really. still stuck on a loading screen at att's website.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That seems to help a little bit?

Well if it wasn't a slam dunk then I wouldn't call that conclusive. If it had been that would mean clearing the cookies/cache or disabling some apps might fix it.

Edit: I don't have any accounts with AT&T but this page won't load for me either: https://www.att.com/acctmgmt/login

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Internet told me to try the Decentraleyes chrome extension and that seems to have helped a ton!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

When I was 18, I needed braces and my orthodontist removed four of my normal molars to make space in my mouth for the rearranging of my teeth. At the time, my wisdom teeth were just on the verge of erupting, but they were still mostly covered by gum.

I am now 30 years old and I have been to multiple dental checkups, and the resounding consensus has been "We need to remove your wisdom teeth as they will just cause issues down the line". My question to anyone familiar with dental work, why the hell did my orthodontist at 18 not just remove my drat wisdom teeth to make space? Why remove 4 perfectly normal and healthy molars? Now the prospect of removing 4 wisdom teeth makes me feel like I'm just getting rid of poo poo that I could have avoided, especially when it comes to something as important as teeth.

Maybe my orthodontist was bad at his job, because ever since I got braces, my jaw has always clicked and clacked on the right side whenever chewing. It's like there's a minor misalignment or something.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ok, i'm a complete tax idiot, so please explain how this works.

i just did the tax withholding calculator on the irs site. given my current income and current withholding settings, it said i would receive a refund of $7k. cool, but i'd rather have that $7 split up in my paychecks throughout the rest of the year, so i told it i want a $0 'refund'. it then told me i needed to withhold an extra amount by adding a number in line 4c. line 4c is where you put 'extra withholding'.

so i guess i'm confused here? if i'm projected to receive a $7k refund, but ideally neither want to owe nor receive a refund, doesn't that mean i should receive more cash per paycheck, thus meaning my employer should withhold less for taxes? why am i telling them to withhold more? wouldn't them taking more withholdings for taxes ultimately increase my refund next year?

am i simply misunderstanding what withholdings actually do?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 11, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

There should be a tax thread in BFC and they'll have people more likely to be helpful.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

When I was 18, I needed braces and my orthodontist removed four of my normal molars to make space in my mouth for the rearranging of my teeth. At the time, my wisdom teeth were just on the verge of erupting, but they were still mostly covered by gum.

I am now 30 years old and I have been to multiple dental checkups, and the resounding consensus has been "We need to remove your wisdom teeth as they will just cause issues down the line". My question to anyone familiar with dental work, why the hell did my orthodontist at 18 not just remove my drat wisdom teeth to make space? Why remove 4 perfectly normal and healthy molars? Now the prospect of removing 4 wisdom teeth makes me feel like I'm just getting rid of poo poo that I could have avoided, especially when it comes to something as important as teeth.

Maybe my orthodontist was bad at his job, because ever since I got braces, my jaw has always clicked and clacked on the right side whenever chewing. It's like there's a minor misalignment or something.

If they were still covered in gum it would have been way more traumatic to remove them. Having had my two upper wisdom teeth removed in my late 20s it was bad enough then, and they had fully exposed from the gum. My lower two are still enclosed and they are staying put, thankyouverymuch.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

There should be a tax thread in BFC and they'll have people more likely to be helpful.

oh, right. forgot that forum existed.

thanks.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
A discussion my six year old and I just had; is there any real difference between pancakes, hot cakes, and flapjacks?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Qubee posted:

My question to anyone familiar with dental work, why the hell did my orthodontist at 18 not just remove my drat wisdom teeth to make space? Why remove 4 perfectly normal and healthy molars? Now the prospect of removing 4 wisdom teeth makes me feel like I'm just getting rid of poo poo that I could have avoided, especially when it comes to something as important as teeth.

I'm not an expert but I did have 4 unexposed wisdom teeth removed and it was basically surgery with a long-ish recovery period. So maybe the orthodontist couldn't do that. They would have to refer you to an oral surgeon, it might be really expensive depending on your insurance, and you'd be out of commission for several days.

Also, I'm not even sure if the part of the jaw where wisdom teeth are is suitable space for usable molars.

Now, like I said, I'm not an expert so maybe they were just a hack. But I could be convinced that removing wisdom to make room for braces would either be needlessly complicated or it might not make room where it's needed.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Leave posted:

A discussion my six year old and I just had; is there any real difference between pancakes, hot cakes, and flapjacks?

Nope.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have this set in my phone's assistant settings:

But it still talks to me. Is there another setting somewhere I've missed or is it just broken? How do I make it shut the gently caress up?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

I didn't think so, and I'm mildly disappointed.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Qubee posted:

I don't know why they removed the molars, that seems weird.

That said I've had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 13 for braces + lower jaw surgery. The wisdom teeth were still just little tooth nuggets in my jaw bone and they had a procedure where I was properly sedated for an afternoon to get them out.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Leave posted:

Not usually, but if there is it's about thickness. Like hotcakes could be like an inch thick or whatever, and I feel like it's usually hotcakes that are the thicker ones if someone was going to make a distinction.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Leave posted:

Fun fact: a "flapjack" in the UK is a sort of soft oat bar, e.g. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/british-flapjacks-357510

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thickness is the distinction between American pancakes and real pancakes, which you helpfully call crepes

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a way to permanently omit certain websites/domains from search results in either duckduckgo or google search?

I tried searching this answer but ironically it was mostly copy-pasted articles on tech/ad websites for removing one's PII :v:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The easiest way I've found is to build a custom search engine with -site:pinterest.com repeated as necessary with sites. It's bit of a hack but it works.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Inceltown posted:

The easiest way I've found is to build a custom search engine with -site:pinterest.com repeated as necessary with sites. It's bit of a hack but it works.

Ugh. Pinterest and Quora are the worst.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Highlight or Hide Search Engine Results is the name of a browser add-on that does what it says. Infuriatingly the same add-on for Firefox is technically called Block or Highlight Search Engine Results on the website but uses the other name internally.

You can also grey out undesirable domains instead of disappearing them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BonHair posted:

Thickness is the distinction between American pancakes and real pancakes, which you helpfully call crepes

This is Dutch erasure

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

alnilam posted:

This is Dutch erasure

That's more of a feature though. Although the Netherlands are quite like a pancake I guess.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What's hmbol?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

What's hmbol?

Not much, what’s hmbol with you?

Howling my butt off laughing

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Highlight or Hide Search Engine Results is the name of a browser add-on that does what it says. Infuriatingly the same add-on for Firefox is technically called Block or Highlight Search Engine Results on the website but uses the other name internally.

You can also grey out undesirable domains instead of disappearing them.

Thanks!

Inceltown posted:

This sounds like a cool project but looking at my list of stuff to try, I'll only get around to it in a couple years at this rate :negative:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I just got charged $7 for some moron to wipe paint thinner on my car to remove a (what I thought was) a scratch someone had left from banging their door hard into the side of my car. The guy finessed me and said he'd "polish" out the scratch, and that it costs $7. I figured fair enough, paid it, and then saw the guy wiping the 'scratch' mark off with a cotton pad. I told him to stop and had a whiff of the thing he was wiping on my car, then asked him if it was the same thing women use to remove nail polish. He said no.

To cut a long story short, the Middle East is stupid, and did I just pay $7 to have some guy wipe a surface stain off of my car body with paint thinner (it was actually paint thinner, I checked) that will damage the actual body paint of my car? Or do cars have a strong outer coating? Feeling like a moron myself tbh

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

tuyop posted:

Not much, what’s hmbol with you?

Howling my butt off laughing

Haha, really? What's the story behind this? I've never seen it anywhere but here, but there's no SAclopedia entry about it. I thought it was a local catchphrase... even a Google search barely comes up with anything about this acronym.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Haha, really? What's the story behind this? I've never seen it anywhere but here, but there's no SAclopedia entry about it. I thought it was a local catchphrase... even a Google search barely comes up with anything about this acronym.

I’m not sure. I recall first learning about it in, I think, CSPAM’s climate change thread. Like, in the context of ironically laughing at absurdly counterproductive or ineffective responses. “My balls, I’ve bowled them into orbit.” We would say, and lol and hmbol our way to mental health yessir

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Qubee posted:

the Middle East is stupid

I think this is a very weird conclusion to draw from this. The guy who did it is obviously smarter than you since he both saw the nature of the scratch, and what you'd pay.
But then again, not that smart, since he didn't have the good sense to tell you to come back in half an our.
In Europe or North America, they would have done the 'repair' out of sight. And charged A LOT more for it

Qubee
May 31, 2013

EricBauman posted:

I think this is a very weird conclusion to draw from this. The guy who did it is obviously smarter than you since he both saw the nature of the scratch, and what you'd pay.
But then again, not that smart, since he didn't have the good sense to tell you to come back in half an our.
In Europe or North America, they would have done the 'repair' out of sight. And charged A LOT more for it

I really don't think it's common practice in Europe or America to apply paint thinner to someone's car to remove leftover paint from someone slamming their door into your car body. They would have taken the extra effort route and buffed it out or something. poo poo, I wish I took the extra five minutes to try and buff it out myself, instead of expecting any better from a garage. Or better yet, I could have bought paint thinner for $1 and damaged the car myself.

The Middle East is stupid, there's a million little businesses that are run with borderline slave-labour. Professionalism and expertise is akin to a myth here. Why pay extra money to an employee who is properly versed in his line of work when you can just hire someone with almost zero experience to do a bunch of dodgy work and pay him peanuts each month, as long as it means more money is funneled to your own pockets. I'm not even miffed over the $7 charge, that'll cover the guy's lunch for the next few days. I'm miffed that he did something damaging to the car.

PS: I'm a Middle Easterner and the Middle East is stupid, or at least this particular corrupt and third world Gulf country is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

So I just got charged $7 for some moron to wipe paint thinner on my car to remove a (what I thought was) a scratch someone had left from banging their door hard into the side of my car. The guy finessed me and said he'd "polish" out the scratch, and that it costs $7. I figured fair enough, paid it, and then saw the guy wiping the 'scratch' mark off with a cotton pad. I told him to stop and had a whiff of the thing he was wiping on my car, then asked him if it was the same thing women use to remove nail polish. He said no.

To cut a long story short, the Middle East is stupid, and did I just pay $7 to have some guy wipe a surface stain off of my car body with paint thinner (it was actually paint thinner, I checked) that will damage the actual body paint of my car? Or do cars have a strong outer coating? Feeling like a moron myself tbh
It could be that it was some paint transferred from the other car. In which case some paint thinner or something similar could help soften it and get it removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzq5f8x5f4

If it was a small scratch, he could've polished it out with some polishing compound on the rag.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Qubee posted:

I can't comment on the nature of this scam, but I had a buddy get some rust off of my car with acetone (the active stuff in nail polish remover) and the paint was fine.

I don't know why I feel compelled to mention this every time the word acetone come up, but acetone dissolves superglue, so if you superglue your fingers together just track down someone with nail polish remover instead of freaking out and going to the hospital.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Poldarn posted:

I can't comment on the nature of this scam, but I had a buddy get some rust off of my car with acetone (the active stuff in nail polish remover) and the paint was fine.

I don't know why I feel compelled to mention this every time the word acetone come up, but acetone dissolves superglue, so if you superglue your fingers together just track down someone with nail polish remover instead of freaking out and going to the hospital.

It can also treat ringworm if you can't get to any sort of place with anti fungal treatment.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I just feel like $7 is barely even a scam amount of money.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It looks like YouTube is subverting ublock in Firefox. Is there an alternative ad-block that still works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

It looks like YouTube is subverting ublock in Firefox. Is there an alternative ad-block that still works?

are you using just plain ol' uBlock? 'cause that one's no good, they let webpages pay money to get themselves off their adblock list which defeats the entire point. "uBlock Origin" is what I use and it's still working fine for Youtube for me.