Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

Now surely you've learned your lesson to childproof your home so your kid doesn't get her hands on scissors or chemicals under the sink, right? Right???

Next Time: Five Minutes to Destruction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 13-15, 1941)

Ouch, this hits home.

About 80 years ago an industrial problem like this was a “told you so”. We talk about cheap overseas manufacturing, but they are still 80 years ago in industrial hygiene some places. If you lost a finger you could lose your job.
This is why manufacturing costs less in some places, because they have a company janitor working a the nurse, and dont have OSHA (the US safety standards) or Unions watching out for you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storefri

manero
Jan 30, 2006

No Nancy 1943 for today, so all you get is Pluggers

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

manero posted:

The punchline is Pluggers are close to death.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vargo posted:

The punchline is Pluggers are close to death.

bonus punchline: Pluggers go to Gatlinburg

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

bonus punchline: Pluggers go to Gatlinburg

I had to look up Gatlinburg, it looks like the Wisconsin Dells of the south.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JethroMcB posted:

A strip where, apropos of nothing, the punchline is "Dustin is such a little cuck bitch beta poo poo." Ziggy doesn't have the level of contempt for its titular character that Dustin does...and the conceit of Ziggy is "He's a loser."

Which reminds me, I recently ran across my old book of Snake comics and have been meaning to scan and post it. Let's just say it turns the whole "everybody hates the loser protagonist" thing up to 11.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

manero posted:

Are we being punished for something?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Kevin and Kell

Get Fuzzy 5/12/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 12/18-20/50

Smokey Stover 8/15/54

Everyday Movies 5/29/36

"That Mister Murray shure has a foine figger of a man from a woman's standpoint of view, Mrs. Clancy."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/16-18/41

Bonus Comic! Here's Bill Holman doing another "shiny serge suits" gag.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/16-18/41

It loving owns I never know what this strip is going to throw at me. Not once would I have predicted "villains kill calf, calf gets memorial death panel".

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Editor's note: In the final panel, the part of the villain is being played by "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:ohdear: Not the lil calf.

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

Is it just me or is "AI = Skynet" getting to be very tedious and lazy? Especially since the popular media stories are just about a chat bot that can churn out EssaySpeak(TM) paragraphs and if you're a bit more internet hip you know about AI Art. It's just "hmmm I need to make a cartoon, oh AI is in the news, time to auto-pilot a Terminator joke."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "13 - Jucika and the Comet"

Posting the companion piece courtesy of Kennel in an earlier thread.

"14 - Jucika's Stiletto Heels."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cyborgs infiltrating our underground bunkers to spam unhinged reactionary screeds

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

readingatwork posted:

Why does she look like she's about to throw herself into traffic over this? :confused:

She primarily inhabits a fantasy of perfection and finds any intrusion of the real, no matter how minor, to be a personal attack against her.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Doomykins posted:

Is it just me or is "AI = Skynet" getting to be very tedious and lazy? Especially since the popular media stories are just about a chat bot that can churn out EssaySpeak(TM) paragraphs and if you're a bit more internet hip you know about AI Art. It's just "hmmm I need to make a cartoon, oh AI is in the news, time to auto-pilot a Terminator joke."

always has been; its just the most recent "what if the slaves became the masters" kyriarchist anxiety

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I asked one of the chat AIs to write a story about Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald getting drunk and spending the day starting trouble. It threw back a few paragraphs of them skimming rocks across a lake until a cop ran them off. The day it gives me a story that ends in a fist fight (at least) is the day we're truly doomed.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 15, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 13, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 16-18, 1941)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Is this a new writer taking over for Browne or is this clearing out the rest of Browne's backlog before he died?

I always generally get a smile out of Hagar but the past few weeks have been particularly good.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
RE: AI, it doesn't help that people have a bad habit of anthropomophizing what at present is essentially a very fancy autocomplete. ChatGPT doesn't "know" anything or have the ability to judge if something is correct, it's just spewing out what its training set says is a statistically likely set of words for your query. (plus some attempted safeguards against various things the devs don't want you making it say)

Just say you don't feel like waiting for ??? minutes before getting seated, it's a valid reason not to go someplace! You don't have to claim it must actually suck and all those people are idiots for going there!

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Why does she look like she's about to throw herself into traffic over this? :confused:

If it were me, I'd be horrified that my unattended toddler could have done serious damage to an eye or a digit because of my carelessness, but I guess Ellie is upset that her hair is kind of messed up now.

Luann

Up. Yours.

Gil Thorp

Sunglasses guy is from a past plotline before I started posting this here. He's blind. So that's why all this "feel your heartbeat and listen to your surroundings" stuff.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

It's so childish and stupid, and I can't stop laughing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

...I guess Lucky Eddie would know.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

cyborgs infiltrating our underground bunkers to spam unhinged reactionary screeds

There's a good joke in the glossy fakeness of AI-generated hentai and the line about the T-600s having rubber skin in The Terminator but that requires knowing things beyond the surface about popular culture and modern tech, not skills newspaper readers or most comic artists have.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Oh gently caress you Cooper.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Gatlinburg, home of the Salt and Pepper Shaker Meusum, featuring over 20,000 shakers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I kinda want a crossover with Invisible Scarlet and FOOB and how she takes care and saves all the kids and John and the dogs from the insane mother.

as for Dustin, of COURSE it's a fancy "foreign" place with tiny servings and not real American food like pizza fried cheeseburgers and milkshakes with chunks of cookie in them like the dad likes. Women like foreign French food (foreign like other white people not weird other people) and men like good food! With waitresses in skimpy outfits! Sports on every TV! So hard to enjoy things these days!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

as for Dustin, of COURSE it's a fancy "foreign" place with tiny servings and not real American food like pizza fried cheeseburgers and milkshakes with chunks of cookie in them like the dad likes. Women like foreign French food (foreign like other white people not weird other people) and men like good food! With waitresses in skimpy outfits! Sports on every TV! So hard to enjoy things these days!

It's this.

It's also "Lazy servers can't even handle bussing a few tables (not real work like being an attorney) but they expect to be paid a living wage?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 13, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's this.

It's also "Lazy servers can't even handle bussing a few tables (not real work like being an attorney) but they expect to be paid a living wage?"

i want to know what Ed's first job was.

and it was a real job, not like Dustin being a sub teacher!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/18-20/50

Archie 5/15-17/47

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Cowslips Warren posted:

i want to know what Ed's first job was.

and it was a real job, not like Dustin being a sub teacher!

Caddy at his dad’s country club.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zelda kept me busy yesterday so here's a catchup.

F Minus

:lol:

Mark Trail

Here's a fun game: try to figure out exactly what is physically occurring in panel 2 in the second strip.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Would've been funnier if that was the Harwoods.

Andertoons

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

quote:

When David Crosby met Melissa Etheridge

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Pieni = small
Eläin = animal
Vastaanotto = reception
Pieneläinvastaanotto = Small animal reception/small animal service, veterinary services for smaller animals

No ANSU tonight because I need to scan more.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

“Welcome to Hilbert’s Hotel, where we always have room”