Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Osv18 posted:

co2 isn't the problem. thermodynamics are the problem.

The world system is a heat engine no matter how much you try to 'green' it.

well, sort of. the thermodynamic part of the co2 problem is thermodynamic. ocean acidification is an actual carbon problem with thermodynamic influence but you can't just get rid of it if you "fixed" all the heat related parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Koirhor posted:

obviously the solution is to have more meetings
finally, an idea

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Osv18 posted:

Well sure but it was a heat engine long before humans turned up and it was plenty green then

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah but then we came along and found Number and then we found we could measure the rate at which we increased Number and it was all down hill

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

blatman posted:

i still cant believe society has collectively decided that someone as dumb as me is allowed to drive my own car, just cruising along at 60km/h in my 2 ton steel-and-plastic chariot powered by explosions and fuelled by ancient corpses and everyone is just fine with this

to me the most fascinating bit is the social conditioning around saftey and risk. every suburban mom that insists on living in a "safe neighborhood", every fox news psycho that gets their gun when the doorbell rings, every dipshit you've ever heard complain about crime in the cities or the 'risks' of a vaccine... they all 100% trust dozens to hundreds of strangers a day with their lives.

they will drive their 2-ton chariot at 50mph directly at a conga-line of other people driving their 2-ton chariots at 50mph, with often less than a yard between them. every single person trusts every single other person to not gently caress up. to not sneeze. to not have a stroke. to not get distracted by the radio or a txt. to not have an itch or a twitch that causes their wrist to move the wheel just 2 - 3 degrees. and thats just in straight-aways. in curvy roads we all trust each other to perfectly execute the inner and outer turn curves near flawlessly. and its not just a personal trust, everybody puts their loved ones right in the car with them. every single errand a mother goes on she is putting her childs life in the hands of... whoever the gently caress just whizzed by in that kia and the 50 randos behind him.

its absolutely insane. a perfect proof point in how "normal" is just what you grew up with, no matter how psychotic. people will get used to anything.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slow News Day posted:

Buying an EV if you can afford one and can charge it at home makes sense IMO, when your current ICE car expires.

If you use your ICE til the wheels come off then you're clear to buy a used EV, yeah.

Edit: MBM might have a conniption if I quote him but I, for one, don't trust my fellow drivers and make a sport of being as isolated from other drivers as possible. And drive defensively, for the same lack of trust.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 14:00 on May 13, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MightyBigMinus posted:

to me the most fascinating bit is the social conditioning around saftey and risk. every suburban mom that insists on living in a "safe neighborhood", every fox news psycho that gets their gun when the doorbell rings, every dipshit you've ever heard complain about crime in the cities or the 'risks' of a vaccine... they all 100% trust dozens to hundreds of strangers a day with their lives.

they will drive their 2-ton chariot at 50mph directly at a conga-line of other people driving their 2-ton chariots at 50mph, with often less than a yard between them. every single person trusts every single other person to not gently caress up. to not sneeze. to not have a stroke. to not get distracted by the radio or a txt. to not have an itch or a twitch that causes their wrist to move the wheel just 2 - 3 degrees. and thats just in straight-aways. in curvy roads we all trust each other to perfectly execute the inner and outer turn curves near flawlessly. and its not just a personal trust, everybody puts their loved ones right in the car with them. every single errand a mother goes on she is putting her childs life in the hands of... whoever the gently caress just whizzed by in that kia and the 50 randos behind him.

its absolutely insane. a perfect proof point in how "normal" is just what you grew up with, no matter how psychotic. people will get used to anything.

actually you'll find that i am extremely good at driving so none of that matters for me. also get the gently caress out of my way before i run you off the road

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cuttlefush posted:

because it would still take energy to move your gas up the chimney against gravity. and to concentrate the co2. or to get it all into a fluid with fundamental force breaking values of surface tension and use capillary action or whatever. can't be done. pretty sure space chimney is some class of perpetual motion machine if you take it apart

ok, scrap that

next idea: nuclear powered space garbage guns. we can shoot garbage into the sun with nuclear power and that includes the nuclear waste too. the sun is huge so it should handle our little garbage patch nbd. thoughts?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

MightyBigMinus posted:

i grew up driving, went on super long road trips all the time in my 20s

then i moved to nyc, didn't have a car for nearly ten years, never drove

i bought a car a couple years ago. i was terrified. surface streets were enough, but getting on the interstate???? jesus christ. i still can't bear to reduce my insurance coverage because it feels like driving is just loving INSANE

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ruggan posted:

ok, scrap that

next idea: nuclear powered space garbage guns. we can shoot garbage into the sun with nuclear power and that includes the nuclear waste too. the sun is huge so it should handle our little garbage patch nbd. thoughts?

best i can do are those theoretical anti-alien weapons where we dig a deep hole then set off nukes underneath giant metal plates that are launched into space

maybe we could pour garbage into the metal disks and also pack it in around the nuclear bombs so they incinerate it. Just putting a bunch of garbage on top of the disks would spread it all over the place.

it would work now but you don't really know where the garbage plates will end up so you might have a giant lead disc of K-cups land on a city somewhere in 30 or 40 years

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ruggan posted:

ok, scrap that

way more energy to send it actually into the sun than to just get it far enough away it wont matter. also you really can just kinda bury them. one launch mishap with your nuclear waste payload is probably like tens or hundreds of years of average current nuclear waste disposal fuckups. if you want to do space nuclear just do a project orion or something.

im surprised nuclear plowshare poo poo doesn't see more play in zany geoengineering schemes. there have been kind of a lot of modeling papers on nuclear winter recentlyish that https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2006JD008235 started up

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Cuttlefush posted:

im surprised nuclear plowshare poo poo doesn't see more play in zany geoengineering schemes. there have been kind of a lot of modeling papers on nuclear winter recentlyish that https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2006JD008235 started up

Some nerd journal posted:

Nuclear winter revisited with a modern climate model and current nuclear arsenals: Still catastrophic consequences

Oh good, still bad. I've been a bit concerned about the "maybe a little global winter would kill some but save the rest" thinking that's been making the rounds recently.

I guess that's why some react to strongly to Malthusian musings - it's not pleasant to realize that everyone is disposable to someone else. Probably everyone else. Personally I feel it is my duty to hold out with my bean horde long enough that my remains can be composted so I can make a positive contribution to the biosphere instead of being lofted into the sky as just another bunch of greenhouse gases.

Am I being too doomer? Is this bad?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's lame but it's not very doomer, no. pretty standard kind of hope-i-don't-leave-cringe-in-the-soil kind of take most people are going to state if pressed. but hoping to "make a positive contribution to the biosphere" by composting your corpse after presumably living a western lifestyle is a funny as gently caress sentiment to express if you're from the us or western europe or similar

totally fine though compared to people who go "yeah actually we do need a nuclear winter" and kinda mean it

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Despite the guillotine, I make a point of trying to tell people "not them, us" when discussing the problems. The extreme overconsumption and waste of land by the wealthy is illustrative of our problems, but not THE problem, we're all living the problem. Helps curb people's impulse to just blame some "other" for our plight, which of course leads to the idea we can just kill this or that group to redeem ourselves.

Unless you're somehow posting from a natural state in the third world. You get to blame us. Do the needful, noble savages!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Gonna return all my microplastics to the soil, as nature intended.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm going to genetically engineer an azolla event in the Mediterranean

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
I was gonna get a drivers license a couple years ago and it all went pretty good doing the lessons etc but i scrapped the idea because i really dont need it and dont really want it and every now and then i lie in bed with some anxiety about how they allowed me onto the road after only one one-hour lesson on finding gears etc.

how the hell do they just let you onto a road like that lmao

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 16:58 on May 13, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

People routinely drive 2-ton death machines that are so big an entire kindergarten class can hide in their forward blind spots and some of those people had literally zero training.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

If you don't use a car in the USA then you'll be walking or biking at approximately the same distance away from those cars as driving in one but without all of the crash safety protection afforded by a ton of plastic and steel. Hopefully your motor driven fellows on the road don't hate bikers or pedestrians or even just gently caress up.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fanfic insert posted:

I was gonna get a drivers license a couple years ago and it all went pretty good doing the lessons etc but i scrapped the idea because i really dont need it and dont really want it and every now and then i lie in bed with some anxiety about how they allowed me onto the road after only one one-hour lesson on finding gears etc.

how the hell do they just let you onto a road like that lmao

Paradoxish posted:

People routinely drive 2-ton death machines that are so big an entire kindergarten class can hide in their forward blind spots and some of those people had literally zero training.

a national driver retraining would probably reduce emissions some amount

sure we should eliminate car culture entirely but if we demand to have hundreds of millions of cars then we shouldn't also be creating massive amounts of traffic for no reason because people who demand to drive don't understand how to

properly cycling at greenlights, explaining that yield signs are conditional and you only yield FOR something if it exists, re-explaining what the fast lane is, how speed limits work and basic concepts like merging would keep people from creating 3 mile traffic jams when 50% of the drivers going through a roundabout don't understand how it works

I guess the problem is we would go to an armed civil war in the united states if some liberal demanded mandatory government certification of their driving skills. Florida and Georgia would remove the need to even have a driver's license at all.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This year there are a lot of weird orange flies I've never seen before. They mostly just hover & the spider webs are completely jam packed with their bodies. Very strange.

The birds are a bit different too. Haven't heard the wood pecker in a while

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I mean, yeah. The ideal solution to the driving problem would be some combination of transitioning to EVs, massively expanding public transport, mandating that companies promote remote work where feasible, yearly driver recertifications, and some kind of federally enforced per-mile tax with waivers up to a certain limit. You will never eliminate cars in America, but you could possibly limit their usage without actually tearing out all of our existing infrastructure. You'd probably even encourage suburbs and poo poo to build out into more reasonable places to live if it was harder for people to drive 20 miles away to go to Applebee's.

Of course, Americans have responded to "you can buy an EV if you want to and can afford one" by literally making their trucks run worse, so I don't think we'll ever manage even one of those things. It's unbelievably hilarious that we can't even acknowledge that maybe you should need to jump through a few hurdles to drive 2 tons of steel around in public.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

People costing themselves money excessively burning up fuel and tires to own environmentalists is a pretty good metaphor for things and a clear path to "lol.lmao"

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Koirhor posted:

obviously the solution is to have more meetings

whoa now, let's not get too hasty. first we need to have a series of exploratory pre-meetings before jumping into the meetings

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
who wants to be on the pre-meeting planning committee

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

BRJurgis posted:

Despite the guillotine, I make a point of trying to tell people "not them, us" when discussing the problems. The extreme overconsumption and waste of land by the wealthy is illustrative of our problems, but not THE problem, we're all living the problem. Helps curb people's impulse to just blame some "other" for our plight, which of course leads to the idea we can just kill this or that group to redeem ourselves.

i say we try the guillotine thing anyway. what's the worst that could happen? it's not like we've got much to lose at this point

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ELTON JOHN posted:

if we are talking about the COP summits I volunteer

thousands of lobbyists take hundreds of private planes to big week long pre-meeting meetings in the best cities in the world and i'm a big enough piece of poo poo i'll pretend that is environmentalism like all of the politicians in the world

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i say we try the guillotine thing anyway. what's the worst that could happen? it's not like we've got much to lose at this point

:hmmyes:

ELTON JOHN posted:

Im willing to commit to a maximum of 40% of the projected necessary meetings, implemented over the next 30 years.

Something is better than nothing this is an important foot in the door. It's called progress maybe you should grow up :smug:

BRJurgis has issued a correction as of 17:52 on May 13, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

edit: why did i add the word earth, gently caress

https://e360.yale.edu/features/as-ocean-oxygen-levels-dip-fish-face-an-uncertain-future

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 19:36 on May 13, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Osv18 posted:

:sickos:

Hubbert posted:

now that everyone seems to be on board for seeing energy, materials, and other resources as the ur-commodity that makes everything possible, here's a cursory look at the basic tenets of neoclassical vs. ecological / biophysical economics :hmmyes:

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Osv18 posted:

There's a bunch of thinktanks full of econ majors right now trying to tease out how to hack entropy with a financial instrument. I'm sure they'll save us.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Ocean bdeath is certain.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Sanlav posted:

There's a bunch of thinktanks full of econ majors right now trying to tease out how to hack entropy with a financial instrument. I'm sure they'll save us.

Pff that one's easy. If the inhabitants of the future temporary goldilock zones shut the borders to all those trying to move from uninhabitable areas in the decades to come, the resultant pile of shiny skulls should [medium confidence] produce adequate albedo to counteract a +-2% overall energy consumption growth rate for quite a while still.
Alternatively, we could opt to strive towards global cybernetically managed communism or something, but eh, effort also produces waste heat.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Species homogenization is something we need to talk more about. As conditions worsen, the one or two animals who can survive the changes will thrive and crowd out the others, if they haven't already left. I've seen it happen recently with penguins, trees, corals, and some others I can't remember. Pretty soon there will be like 50 species who can survive the new world, and that aint good

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

4d3d3d posted:

Species homogenization is something we need to talk more about. As conditions worsen, the one or two animals who can survive the changes will thrive and crowd out the others, if they haven't already left. I've seen it happen recently with penguins, trees, corals, and some others I can't remember. Pretty soon there will be like 50 species who can survive the new world, and that aint good

Survival of the fittest is how nature works. Who are we, as mere humans, to try to second-guess it or interfere? Blinded by hubris much?!?!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Slow News Day posted:

Survival of the fittest is how nature works. Who are we, as mere humans, to try to second-guess it or interfere? Blinded by hubris much?!?!

Actually I think Mark Lynas brings that up in 6 Degrees. One thing (long shot) we might be able to do is encourage invasive pests to multiply so we can use them as food sources and to build up what's left of the environment

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

video game worlds do just fine with maybe three types of fish, two different domesticated animals, and like two dozen mutated mockeries of our current fauna
that rabidly attack all humans on sight, so I don't even know why we keep all these unnecessary animals around

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

4d3d3d posted:

Sounds like climate change is a hoax if multiple species can survive it...

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/12/environment-agency-pulls-50m-scheme-to-protect-homes-in-england-from-flooding

quote:

Environment Agency pulls £50m scheme to protect homes in England from flooding
Businesses that put together bids for flood doors, non-return valves and waterproof floors say they have spent tens of thousands

“We have written directly to the suppliers who have submitted bids to advise them of this decision and the grounds for this decision.”

The ford at Lands End in the Berkshire village of Charvil overflows.

The EA said they were pulling the scheme because they had not received enough competent tenders to provide value for money. But Simon Crowther, who runs one of the companies that bid for the work, said the EA had made the process so complicated and costly it had put people off bidding.

Crowther, a civil engineer and chartered water and environmental manager, said his company had spent tens of thousands of pounds over the past six weeks preparing its bid. He said the failure of the agency would impact on climate emergency resilience, and leave an increased number of communities exposed to flooding.

“I feel I have to speak out about this. The actions of the Environment Agency will delay the protection of thousands of homes. Flood victims do not have a voice and they will not know that these protections were coming or that they are now being delayed because of the actions of the EA. So I feel I need to raise awareness about this failure.”
God we can't even get efforts to mitigate the coming apocalypse right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the raccoons shall inherit the earth