Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Don't like the new system for power selection. Just because I switched to a new power doesn't mean I want to use it now, I just want to have it selected when I do want to use it.

Agreed it’s kind of irritating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Almost all of my deaths have been from misjudging explosion radius/damage

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Fighting near a cliff? Try putting a silent shroom on your weapon. Makes your last hit in a combo send enemies flying.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Danaru posted:

My latest one was I was in the sky having been launched from the tower near the castle and I spied a tiny sky island so I glided/dived towards it and forgot that X deployed your glider and instead dove full speed into it with my face :v:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Off the plateau, gimme my glider you assholes!! :argh:

I guess I gotta do some quests? I found purah, off to Hyrule Castle now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have a Zelda question. I have never played a Zelda game. I'm curious about whether I'd have fun. I suck at platformers, and in general I suck at reflex-based games. How good at combat do you have to be to enjoy this version of Zelda?
I, too, suck at platformers and reflex-based games, but I beat BotW and I'm having fun with TotK FWIW.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Fighting near a cliff? Try putting a silent shroom on your weapon. Makes your last hit in a combo send enemies flying.

I think it's any mushroom. I found out because I got sent off a cliff fighting some weak bokoblin with a mushroom on a stick. I didn't even try to block because lol it's a stick and then whap! Banished to the ground floor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Danaru posted:

I've died a couple times from trying to do way too high of an aerial strike.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This Rising Island Chain has me saving every time I reach a new island. I actually haven't fallen at all, but my hands are sweating like they are. And I keep on mixing up the controls from Star Wars Jedi Survivor and this. Why can't Link double jump and then dash, drat it!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I got involved in local politics and all i got was this lovely hat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Amazing hat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I need to fight a boss using a contraption next. Just figured out you can stick a wheel to one of those little hover blocks and then a laser on top and it'll sit in place and be a rotating laser turret

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

haven't really seen anyone talking about the temples/dungeons, which people were dying to have in BOTW. i've only played the "first" one--the wind temple--and it really reminds me of old school Zelda in all the best ways

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
greatest game of all time??

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey I wonder what's in the old Colosseum? :v:

OH.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I think it's any mushroom. I found out because I got sent off a cliff fighting some weak bokoblin with a mushroom on a stick. I didn't even try to block because lol it's a stick and then whap! Banished to the ground floor

Could be, I fused a silent shroom on accident. Fun mistake though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

epic bacon posted:

haven't really seen anyone talking about the temples/dungeons, which people were dying to have in BOTW. i've only played the "first" one--the wind temple--and it really reminds me of old school Zelda in all the best ways

Haven't gotten around to them yet. I told myself I would go towards Rito village first but I got distracted by like a dozen other things lmao
probably the case for a lot of other people

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There’s a story?!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One detail that I love: in BotW, the Shiekah Slate was clearly supposed to be the Wii U tablet. Now the Purah Pad uses the Switch form factor instead.

Also the koroks who just want to meet their friends are the best and I love them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'm at Zora's Domain and was asked to meet a king at the top of the waterfall. How do I get up it? In BotW, if I remember correctly, wasn't there a quest that rewarded you with something that took you up this same waterfall?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My route right now is taking me to Kakariko Village because I heard there was some cool Zonai poo poo over there

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

epic bacon posted:

I just got there. I thought everything leading up to it would be the wind temple and that I would be meeting a boss on the giant ship at the middle of the storm. An actual temple, I'll be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nihonniboku posted:

I just got there. I thought everything leading up to it would be the wind temple and that I would be meeting a boss on the giant ship at the middle of the storm. An actual temple, I'll be.

They knew exactly how to slow-walk you in and deliver with an unceremonious "WIND TEMPLE" :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
too much game

every loving direction i take locks me into another "just one more thing, just one more thing, just one more thing" loop

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Is it the rarity of the monster part or the number of critters that determines the strength of an elixir?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The game seems to want me to go to the Rito area first. Is that actually recommend or can I just pick a direction and gently caress about?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RandolphCarter posted:

Is it the rarity of the monster part or the number of critters that determines the strength of an elixir?

if it works the same as in BoTW, the amount and rarity of the critters affect the strength of the potion and the duration, monster parts don’t affect potion strength but add more time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

too much game

every loving direction i take locks me into another "just one more thing, just one more thing, just one more thing" loop

For real though like I was just walking around when I see a huge shadow pass me by look around and figure out it's a lonely sky island casting a shadow from the moonlight and now I'm trying to figure how to get up there.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

stev posted:

The game seems to want me to go to the Rito area first. Is that actually recommend or can I just pick a direction and gently caress about?

The upgrade you get is really handy

Rarden
May 20, 2012
There's no reason not to hare off in whatever direction seems fun. (Post-paraglider get) Rito village is this game's Kakariko, in that there's a bunch of intro stuff sprinkled along the route there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

Yes, iirc the stuff like Dragon Scales would make any potion a minimum 30 120 min time(unless that's the max)

Otherwise each 'status' element is some amount of +effect and +time, but there's diminishing returns. I think it usually way better to use 2-3 critters and one medium time monster part for the best effect/time versus cost.

For food though it's just combining as much as possible. You can't mix peppers and bokoblin guts.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

i want there to be precisely one (1) save data bonus and i want it to be the stables having your horses from botw

Fifty Three posted:

:hmmyes:

Mr Horsey, Melman, Sanic, Ke$ha, and Shaq must ride again.
How the gently caress did you call this lmao this owns

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Lakbay posted:

The upgrade you get is really handy

Speaking of upgrades, I started the Goron main quest and it looks like the upgrade is going to be unlimited bombs

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

stev posted:

that's the route i took and it is very satisfying so far

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So. I ended up clearing all 12 Dragon Tears. Got the fourth on the way to Gerudo and decided "hell, why not, I can get towers on the way". (MASSIVE STORY SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY, you've been warned, I'm making every paragraph a separate spoiler to minimize damage in case of accident, I just can't wait sorry.)

At first I was pretty disapointed. The story of the past seemed even more barebones than Zelda's memories in BotW and I was expecting some kind of twist, like Sonia being the Evil Zelda in the present causing problems because malice or smth. But nope, she gets killed in a dumb scene and all hell breaks loose.

And then I got to the last two ones. Holy poo poo, I can't believe Nintendo went there.

Now I'm kinda confused. Do I try to find Impa? Is there somewhere I can go to meet her? Or I unlocked something somewhere?

...or do I start farming Zelda horns to cook a new Master Sword? :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i keep forgetting ascend exists because it's such a weird power and it has made me waste so much time looking for solutions only to realize 'oh i need to use ascend'

game good, me dumb

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i keep forgetting ascend exists because it's such a weird power and it has made me waste so much time looking for solutions only to realize 'oh i need to use ascend'

game good, me dumb

Yeah the amount of times I've gone down a well and then fast travelled out because I can't climb out and forgot ascend was a thing

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Does this game have something equivalent to botw's 120 shrines?

Not gonna lie, if it does, everything else is just a bonus.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ChocNitty posted:

Yeah, it has its own sets of shrines. And they're all on different places to boot so even if you memorized BotW's, it's still new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wonder how much of the game could theoretically be completed while completely ignoring Lookout Lift. No glider, no towers, no upgrades to your pad.

stev posted:

I recommend at least starting to go in that direction because you'll find Hestu along the way and then he'll move to Lookout Lift.

ChocNitty posted:

yes. yes it does.