Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Ask me about mowing my lawn with a scythe :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Neon Noodle posted:

How do you sharpen it?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

SpannerX posted:

How do you sharpen it?

Very carefully! :dumbrim:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Jhet posted:

Not just mixed in. Entire areas of the yard were replaced in rectangular areas with large stones. I have no idea why. They even put a raised bed in the middle of one of the rectangles that are full of 1-3" stones. I want to put in a greenhouse in a spot, so one smaller section is going to get dug out and replaced with soil, but idk why it's there in the first place.
Big old "gently caress you" to the gophers? Although rocks don't seem to stop mine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe they were trying out Rapa Nui rock mulch

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Because it’s so ridiculous to me, have a picture of it before I tear it out.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

We used to harvest wheat on my Papa's historic farm using a couple of them and boy howdy, that poo poo will kick your rear end so fast.

We added a bunch of squash, cucumbers, and pole beans to this bonus round plot I tilled for the neighbor. Everything she started is dead so might as well do something with new dirt. I tried to cheer her up about her first seed starting experience but I don't think "Yeah, it never really gets better." made her feel real accomplished. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing in the dirt, some years are just star crossed. It happens.

Jhet posted:

What in the world is all of that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Looks like abandoned raised beds to me. The gravel would have been for a path between the beds.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jhet posted:

Weird. I'm sure an archaeologist could come up with an interesting story to explain it. Too bad the rocks aren't big enough to turn into a herb spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Hw5GY6OcY

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Looks like abandoned raised beds to me. The gravel would have been for a path between the beds.

Yeah, but also doesn't go all the way to the raised beds, just around the one in the middle, and in between the two in the front of the frame.

The beds aren't very full yet as it's not really been above 50F at night until this week, but it's going straight to 90F for the weekend so most of the planting will happen next week. I'm also tearing the closest one out and the spot I'm standing is getting a greenhouse instead. Middle bed has some kale and it'll get collards as well in a week or two.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jhet posted:

Yeah, but also doesn't go all the way to the raised beds, just around the one in the middle, and in between the two in the front of the frame.
That's weird. drat you, previous owner! :bahgawd:

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Deer have browsed the hell out of my aronias, which don't seem to mind. But after having killed the figs and elderberries the groundhog has been going after them now, so I put cages up. Eventually I will have a lovely garden full of fruit, but for now it's all chicken wire all the time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My parents got me some "patio tomatoes" for my apartment balcony.

None of us has ever grown them before (usually we just do garden tomatoes) so I was wondering if they need stakes/cages.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What are my best options here to keep squirrels out of my peach tree?

Collar on the trunk and trimming the branches lowest to the ground and nearest to the fence?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Annath posted:

My parents got me some "patio tomatoes" for my apartment balcony.

None of us has ever grown them before (usually we just do garden tomatoes) so I was wondering if they need stakes/cages.

Whenever I've grown a patio variety it has needed just a little bit of support. A chopstick might be enough.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Most problems in life can be solved with a fake owl

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shifty Pony posted:

What are my best options here to keep squirrels out of my peach tree?

Collar on the trunk and trimming the branches lowest to the ground and nearest to the fence?

Definitely make a squirrel detecting autoturret water gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPgqfnKG_T4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My MIL's garden grew sunflowers out of nowhere. Is it possible sunflower seeds meant for eating spit into the garden could have caused this? I would guess not, but that's her story of where they must have come from.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Birds or squirrels very well could have dropped them, and sunflower seeds are in most bird feeder mixes

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I hadn't considered that. That makes sense! I was thinking of roasted sunflower seeds.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Real hurthling! posted:

Most problems in life can be solved with a fake owl

Birds laugh at fake owls in my experience. Or crows do anyway.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Chad Sexington posted:

Birds laugh at fake owls in my experience. Or crows do anyway.

Maybe wolf/coyote urine? I know that helps with like rabbits and deer.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Bought a house late last year, and now this year I get to enjoy all the SURPRISE PERENNIALS coming up everywhere. It's pretty awesome.

The POs had a little raised bed, and plants have been coming up in there. I'm trying to figure out what's growing there. Some of them are pretty easy to figure out based on smell alone (oregano, garlic chives) but a couple have me stumped. I'm hoping/assuming they're all edible, because they're together with other edible stuff, but I'm not about to just taste them and find out.

#1:

Google thinks this is stevia.

#2:

Google thinks this is orpine/stonecrop.

Anyone able to help/confirm/warn me that I will die a painful death if I eat them? Thanks!

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Yeah those look like accurate IDs for three both of them. I’m less familiar with stevia, but it looks p darn close. Enjoy them, sedum is a real favorite.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Neon Noodle posted:

Get them a weeding knife.

PokeJoe posted:

E: agreed ^ :v:

Planting knife

Thank you!! Perfect

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Bought a house late last year, and now this year I get to enjoy all the SURPRISE PERENNIALS coming up everywhere. It's pretty awesome.

The POs had a little raised bed, and plants have been coming up in there. I'm trying to figure out what's growing there. Some of them are pretty easy to figure out based on smell alone (oregano, garlic chives) but a couple have me stumped. I'm hoping/assuming they're all edible, because they're together with other edible stuff, but I'm not about to just taste them and find out.

#1:

Google thinks this is stevia.

#2:

Google thinks this is orpine/stonecrop.

Anyone able to help/confirm/warn me that I will die a painful death if I eat them? Thanks!

Looks like fleabane and orpine (stonecrop).

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Lord Rupert posted:

Yeah those look like accurate IDs for three both of them. I’m less familiar with stevia, but it looks p darn close. Enjoy them, sedum is a real favorite.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Looks like fleabane and orpine (stonecrop).

Thanks, both of you! Looks like fleabane is slightly toxic so maybe if it's unclear I'll just wait until it flowers to get a better confirmation of what it is.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
All my buckets have finally sprouted!

I also seem to have a basil sprout in the Dukat dill. I am not surprised. Those basil seeds get everywhere.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Anyone have any insight into fig trees? For the first time in the last five years my fig tree hasn't leafed out fully. It's some sort of an LSU purple variety, and in years past it's been incredibly productive; I'm talking gallons of figs every year, even if the birds/squirrels got most of them last year. This year there are leaves at the tips of the branches and some immature figs starting to show, but it really looks bad.

There has been some sort of fungus going around the neighborhood that has mostly affected flowering plants and I've controlled it as necessary on things like peas, but I didn't see any evidence of it on the fig.

I'm in New Orleans, so water hasn't been an issue and until recently it hasn't been that hot either.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ID help needed: some sort of squash or melon for sure. Previous owner says might be zucchini but it is already showing tendrils so I'm thinking pumpkin.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Holy gently caress the bite pressure this year is insane. I knew it was a meek winter and expected as much but my goodness. The deer flies are immediate and relentless, actually biting my arms this year. It's obnoxious having to dress like a hostage rescue team to water some loving vegetables but here we are.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

ID help needed: some sort of squash or melon for sure. Previous owner says might be zucchini but it is already showing tendrils so I'm thinking pumpkin.

Looks like you have some blossoms starting, so it should be easier to figure out soon. Looks like a pumpkin of some kind to me, too, though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mischief posted:

Holy gently caress the bite pressure this year is insane. I knew it was a meek winter and expected as much but my goodness. The deer flies are immediate and relentless, actually biting my arms this year. It's obnoxious having to dress like a hostage rescue team to water some loving vegetables but here we are.

These are the dumbest drat things but they loving work. Basically double-sided tape that you stick on a (preferably dark-colored) hat. The deer flies like to land high up on animals and they see the light tape, land thinking it is skin, and get solidly stuck. you can get them on Amazon as well.. They can leave a residue so don't use them in a favorite hat.

If you are driving in the woods you can stick one on the top of each side mirror and then wait a couple minutes before getting out, almost all of the flies will have trapped themselves.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'll have to give them a try. Local horse farms all use the inflatable ball + tanglefoot but we have so many birds on our land I always talk myself out of it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Was checking on my beds this morning when I found a couple dead opossum joeys. 99% a neighborhood cat got them, because the fox would have eaten them. loving cat owners man. Keep those shits inside!!!! My neighbor came by the same day and told me about all the animals their cat brings home, including endangered bats!!! !!!! I don’t know them well enough to have this convo but man it was upsetting.

Beds are doing great though. Lettuce and onions are sprouting, and the peppers look very happy. :3:

Edit: found new one. That’s four! :argh:

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 18, 2023

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My goddamned strawberries are taking forever to sprout, I'm really hoping the seeds aren't duds. In case they are, would anyone be able to recommend a decent place where I can get white soul and alpine strawberry seeds?

I have a lil pepper sprouting, but it's having trouble getting out its seed casing. Should I leave it alone, or try to cut the casing off? This is it after a minimum of a week.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It'll be fine either way but you should be able to just slide the casing off easy as you please.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Old Ganon posted:

I have a lil pepper sprouting, but it's having trouble getting out its seed casing. Should I leave it alone, or try to cut the casing off? This is it after a minimum of a week.

Should take care of itself eventually. You can remove them by hand, but it's pretty finicky. Especially with pepper seed leaves (beans like to do this, for example, but their cotyledons are a lot sturdier).

The ~*ye olde probably bulleshite*~ trick is to wet your thumb and forefinger with a little spit, rub it on the seed casing, wait a little, and then try to split the seed casing. The idea being that ~*enzymes*~ will mumble mumble mumble, making the casing easier to remove. For whatever that's worth.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Once the true leaves start on the pepper you can just take it off without worrying about harming those leaves anyway. They’ll end up dropping in another week or two, but it’ll eventually wiggle off just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've had lots of pepper seedlings die from the casing not popping off but it probably would have happened already for that one. Spray it with a little water and wait 10 mins or so and it will soften a little and become easier to remove. Or you can just do nothing.