Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yup! BTW, a couple of years back, thousands of bottles of wine, including winemakers' "libraries" (bottles from all their vintages, for comparison) were lost when a customer set fire to another company's warehouse in order to hide his wine forgery.

At least they must have been insured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

starkebn posted:

I've been using Edge almost since it was released and it's pretty flawless. I tried to switch to Firefox a month ago but it was missing some functionality I preferred in Edge, so now I'm back to all Edge. I think the legacy of Internet Explorer stink is stopping a lot of people from trying it, but I don't know what's wrong with it other than Microsoft being one of the big bads.
I used Edge on my work laptop for a while and it was fine until like that other poster I got hit with the obnoxious Bing chat button that was impossible to remove. I said to myself "ah Microsoft, back on your bullshit I see" and installed Vivaldi, which seems much more user-friendly once you get everything set up just how you like it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe they were insured by a techbro that reinvented insurance but better.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TACD posted:

I used Edge on my work laptop for a while and it was fine until like that other poster I got hit with the obnoxious Bing chat button that was impossible to remove. I said to myself "ah Microsoft, back on your bullshit I see" and installed Vivaldi, which seems much more user-friendly once you get everything set up just how you like it.

I used the bing chat button only once, and that was to ask it how to disable the bing chat button. It kind of felt like asking the AI to draft its own obituary.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

I used the bing chat button only once, and that was to ask it how to disable the bing chat button. It kind of felt like asking the AI to draft its own obituary.
this is every user searching "chrome installation" on edge the first time they power on their PC

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Installing Chrome on my new laptop had Edge literally pathetically begging me to not install a new browser.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The intersection of wine collector and techbro must be an absolutely exhausting person to deal with, the sort of person who might make you wonder if jumping off a tall building or cliff might be a viable alternative to engaging in a conversation.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

this is every user searching "chrome installation" on edge the first time they power on their PC

going to ninite.com is a way better use of edge on a new installation

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aware posted:

Oh god ninite makes getting a new computer feeling usable so much easier. First thing I do after getting the internet connected.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mr. Nemo posted:

Been noticing adds for Chrome lately.

Is their dominance slipping due to Bing related reasons or something?

Microsoft have started going hard for chrome users. You even get a pop up in edge now when you visit the chrome download page.

It's war!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
CEO Speedrun.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/11/elon-musk-says-hes-stepping-down-as-twitter-ceo-will-oversee-product.html

:rubby:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"I will abide by the results of this poll." :lol::lol::lol:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Twitter gets hit with a legal torpedo within a month of her taking the job and this is just to get a fall guy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Crain posted:

Twitter gets hit with a legal torpedo within a month of her taking the job and this is just to get a fall guy.

Elon's tangled with regulators often enough he can see the writing on the wall. Hiring a fall guy is exactly the sort of thing he would do but it's not going to help him or Twitter in the long run.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Genuingly curious who is insane enough to take this job

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Marissa Mayer?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

Elon’s mom?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Fall guy / toe cutter is pretty much a role description.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Any manic chud wanting a bit of clout and status?

It's not like there's ever consequences for them, other than maybe getting some flack from their own base for not being based enough, until you say or do something to piss off the libs, at which point you turn into a living deity.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kwyndig posted:

Elon's tangled with regulators often enough he can see the writing on the wall. Hiring a fall guy is exactly the sort of thing he would do but it's not going to help him or Twitter in the long run.

Oh for certain. But he's dumb enough to think he can just "It's all her" and walk away.

Granted he probably will unless he pissed the Saudis off enough.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mega Comrade posted:

A Trumpist, supposedly.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1656801175855931393

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Crain posted:

Oh for certain. But he's dumb enough to think he can just "It's all her" and walk away.

Granted he probably will unless he pissed the Saudis off enough.
chairman mbs my country yearns for musk dismemberment

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not in love with Firefox, but it allows plugins to block advertiser trackers, which Google is planning to forbid in Chrome.

Have you always wanted to store your wine in the cloud? Underground Cellars has the solution for you.

Well, had, actually.
lmao, spending thousands of dollars on internet wines that definitely totally exist in the cloud company's cellars. It's transparently true that the strategy would be to count on the fact that many users will never actually redeem a lot of the wines they buy (like how stores push gift cards because around half don't get redeemed).

What was the point? You can't open a bottle whenever you want since it isn't physically there, and you can't be a fancy man that impresses friends with their wine cellar.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Amphigory posted:

At least they must have been insured?
That doesn't actually matter for a wine library. The point of a library (apart from showing off rare bottles to special customers) is so that you can crack open a bottle and say "Okay, the 2015 was really tannic when we bottled it, but it's awesome now, so we shouldn't worry about that in the next high-tannin year." (Making this up because I know nothing of winemaking.) When a vineyard loses its library, it's losing half its winemaking records.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Aware posted:

*chocolatey.

run the install script and then:

choco install googlechrome firefox vlc -y

(and anything else)

followed by choco update all -y

whenever.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Installing Chrome on my new laptop had Edge literally pathetically begging me to not install a new browser.

This is basically why I refuse to use Edge. If Microsoft can't respect my decision not to use Edge, then rest assured I'm never going to give Edge a shot.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That doesn't actually matter for a wine library. The point of a library (apart from showing off rare bottles to special customers) is so that you can crack open a bottle and say "Okay, the 2015 was really tannic when we bottled it, but it's awesome now, so we shouldn't worry about that in the next high-tannin year." (Making this up because I know nothing of winemaking.) When a vineyard loses its library, it's losing half its winemaking records.

Well I've learned something today, thank you :)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

*chocolatey.

(and anything else)

whenever.

Why can’t I just download it from their websites and then install it and let it auto update

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

notwithoutmyanus posted:

*chocolatey.

(and anything else)

whenever.
Download a script
To run a packet manager
To run an executable
To later update
By hand

Touching computers it's my job, I only run prompts if someone is paying me

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

starkebn posted:

you can just turn it off, the options page shouldn't scare you

Oh hey, Ninite has RealVNC. We use that at work, the Viewer app is extremely high performance compared to the open source VNC clients I've used, they did a bang-up job with the code..

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why can’t I just download it from their websites and then install it and let it auto update

No. It's the children who are wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Agents are GO! posted:

This is basically why I refuse to use Edge. If Microsoft can't respect my decision not to use Edge, then rest assured I'm never going to give Edge a shot.

It certainly didn't discourage me. Last think I need is a whiny web browser of all things.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm also skeptical of the amount of tracking garbage potentially in Edge. MS is usually giving away copies of Windows for free these days and collecting poo poo-tons of "Telementry" (user data), which takes a considerable time to disable if it's even possible to disable it all. Every new auto-update they attempt to make it harder to disable as well. Ever try modifying a Windows file by running Powershell as TrustedInstaller (the highest permission level) and still getting "Permission denied"? Cause that's been happening for a while now.

You also have to sacrifice security to disable this poo poo unless you're taking hours out of your day to figure out how to disable it all again, because you can be sure they're re-enabling all of it with every update or even update check.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 14, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Unless you're using Firefox or such that's just trading one devil for another. Google's entire business model is sucking up user data, after all, and Chromium underlies every other major browser out there. (Including Edge itself)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah I'm using a variant of Chromium that strips out all the Google stuff, (the ungoogled variant at https://chromium.woolyss.com/#windows). It could also still have tracking stuff left in there too though I suppose. I'll have to give Firefox a try though cause I hear it's a lot better now. Originally switched to Chromium because it would load pages like this forum way faster.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I wish Firefox mobile was a bit less clunky. It's perfect on Desktop for me but I wish I could love it on mobile the same way I do Chrome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been watching Better Call Saul recently and it made me think about how loving hard it must be now to make calls from prison.

I assume they still use the shared pay phone and inmates have to call collect but in a world where nobody answers their phone and 95% of everything is a text message it must be a real bitch to reach your lawyer and family members. At least initially until you're able to establish the prison phone number make your contacts.

Related, it's interesting to watch a lot of older movies now and realize how many of them just entirely fall apart if they're in a world that has cell phone communication, surveillance cameras and that sort of thing. Must make it harder to write certain suspenseful plots nowadays and more than half the time the solution is just "dead battery, no coverage, phone gets wet/damaged"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Inmates get the one free call and then yeah its collect from there. Usually its a good idea to call someone who knows ur in prison so they wont ignore it. Lawyers have their numbers tied to land lines usually. That ways it obvious if the call is for a case.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Can they not leave a voice mail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah then they can just call you back in your cell.