Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
This is so small scale compared to everything that's being talked about but I live in a little quiet corner of the universe and one day there was an entire fleet of battleships burning down structures and a bit of a response from the locals so as a bystander I went to take screenshots.

Apparently ships lose their skins when they turn into wrecks.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Similarly, Omist fuckin rules. Providence is this weird hellhole where you can't log into a cap pilot without 150 people from six different alliances logging in to hot drop your rear end before you've even undocked. Omist? Omist doesn't give a poo poo. Go play in big ships. Teneferis loves you. Life is good. Rip a fat one and krab in your Nidhoggur. We're all homies here. Just pray that CCP turns local back on soon if you're not already fluent in constantly-smashing-d-scan-ese.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The branch war was fun times when Veritas would show up during a big fight to test TIDI. You'd see in local "things might get weird for a bit" and then then whole system froze for a few minutes "well, that didn't work" and things went back to normal.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elukka posted:

This is so small scale compared to everything that's being talked about but I live in a little quiet corner of the universe and one day there was an entire fleet of battleships burning down structures and a bit of a response from the locals so as a bystander I went to take screenshots.

Apparently ships lose their skins when they turn into wrecks.

was this aunen?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

was this aunen?
Nah, Init burning some Lowsechnaya structures in Edilkam.

It was about a hundred Navy Apocalypses and Megas with about sixty ships more in logi, command ships and other stuff. LSH response was two Ninazus and like... 20-30 Legions?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
So if I wanted to encourage/ask for people to keep an eye out and murder a real piece of poo poo person (like, a verifiably and documentedly awful bigot and more) who just started playing EVE would that be allowed?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Isn't playing Steve online punishment enough?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

pokchu posted:

So if I wanted to encourage/ask for people to keep an eye out and murder a real piece of poo poo person (like, a verifiably and documentedly awful bigot and more) who just started playing EVE would that be allowed?

since it took me a reread to get what you actually meant, it would probably be helpful to be specific about the fact that you literally do mean "in minecraft"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Yeah, put out a bounty or whatever but please don't make this more work for me here lol

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

pokchu posted:

Assuming you mean in game, there is a bounty system that already exists

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Assuming you mean in game, there is a bounty system that already exists

not anymore :ccp:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pokchu posted:

Who do you want dead in EVE online

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

kill the riddick

edit: this is a reference to popular 2004 film "chronicles of riddick" and is not an actionable threat against anybody or anything.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

That Works posted:

Who do you want dead in EVE online

https://twitch.tv/badmanlarry

This rear end in a top hat. Massive bigot, transphobe, etc. He ate a permaban from Foxhole for finally crossing the line and harassing/brigading a literal child, and apparently decided EVE was the good place to land. I'd post his crimes but it's like 8chan fever swamp level poo poo.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
They really broke the hell out of their game for the 20th anniversary! Why am I not surprised…

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Kaysette posted:

They really broke the hell out of their game for the 20th anniversary! Why am I not surprised…

Just trying to make us nostalgic about the early days.

And mid days for that matter.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Kaysette posted:

Was fun doing PI runs last night and having the same characters appear in each system in the constellation that I live in. To be fair, they have released a workaround local *but* flags and standings don't work in it, so everyone shows up as a neutral

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It has the old issue with channel lag where if you relog from one char to another char on the same account in the same system the char you logged off of is still in local

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
This just seems like it has to be on purpose…I mean it’s a chat server they’ve been running for two decades. I’m not making GBS threads on the process and I’m thankful for CCP trying new things, but like one day it worked, there was a patch, now it doesn’t work. Revert that poo poo!

I mean they tried Blackout (before my time) and it almost killed the game. Surely you can fix a fuckup this far-reaching quicker than this. OR…just announce it’s no local from now on and Globby wins.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

This just seems like it has to be on purpose…I mean it’s a chat server they’ve been running for two decades. I’m not making GBS threads on the process and I’m thankful for CCP trying new things, but like one day it worked, there was a patch, now it doesn’t work. Revert that poo poo!

I mean they tried Blackout (before my time) and it almost killed the game. Surely you can fix a fuckup this far-reaching quicker than this. OR…just announce it’s no local from now on and Globby wins.

yeah what they did is move chat services out of their data center to some third party service. they clearly didn't test the thing and now it's hosed, and they didn't properly flesh out a rollback plan. or are not being permitted to do it by management

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

yeah what they did is move chat services out of their data center to some third party service. they clearly didn't test the thing and now it's hosed, and they didn't properly flesh out a rollback plan. or are not being permitted to do it by management

Ok, that’s what I figured something was. Tbh, I don’t care one way or another as far as local goes, but if you break your poo poo either fix it or accept it—-don’t leave your paying customers hanging with uncertainty especially when you were (slowly) making up for past fumbles.

Billy BobJ
Jul 13, 2022

DerekSmartymans posted:

didnt you hear man, ccp is trying blackout again

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

never ever stop :ccp:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That makes sense that this is a networking issue rather than a code issue. They flipped the thing over and did the whole Icelandic management thing of having no roll back.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Big bang deploy, straight to prod traffic, not in increments, from an old data center monolith, to a new third party service cloud service, with no rollbacks

I'm racking my brains but I can't actually think of a way to do that more wrong

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

A CRAB IRL posted:

Big bang deploy, straight to prod traffic, not in increments, from an old data center monolith, to a new third party service cloud service, with no rollbacks

I'm racking my brains but I can't actually think of a way to do that more wrong

brick your customer's PCs in the process

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I thought the change to AWS or whatever done a while ago, not now?

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
ey, create a application for goons in eve, mention my long year membership in the forums, but keep it short, don´t create a wall of text
ChatGPT

Subject: Application for Membership in Goonswarm Federation

Dear Recruitment Team,

I am writing to apply for membership in Goonswarm Federation, expressing my interest in joining your esteemed organization. As an avid EVE Online player with years of experience, I have dedicated myself to mastering the art of space combat and contributing to the success of my chosen corporation.

Having been an active participant in the EVE Online community for a considerable period, I have established a reputation for my dedication, teamwork, and strategic thinking. I have had the privilege of being a long-standing member in various alliances, consistently proving my commitment to the collective goals of my comrades. My experience has allowed me to acquire valuable knowledge in fleet operations, logistics, and resource management.

I am well-aware of Goonswarm Federation's prestigious history, renowned for its prowess on the battlefield and its influential presence in the EVE Online universe. Joining your organization would not only provide an opportunity for personal growth and development but also allow me to contribute to the continued success of Goonswarm Federation.

I eagerly await your consideration and the chance to prove my worth within your ranks. Please find attached further details of my experience and achievements within the EVE Online forums. Thank you for your time and attention.

Fly safe!

[Your EVE Online Character Name]
User
make it shorter
ChatGPT

Subject: Membership Application - Goonswarm Federation

Dear Recruitment Team,

I am an experienced EVE Online player seeking membership in Goonswarm Federation. With years of dedicated play and a proven track record in various alliances, I bring valuable expertise in fleet operations, logistics, and resource management.

As an active and respected member in the EVE Online community, I am eager to join Goonswarm Federation, renowned for its battlefield prowess and influential presence. I am confident that my skills and dedication will contribute to the ongoing success of your organization.

Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the opportunity to prove my worth as a valuable asset to Goonswarm Federation.

Fly safe!

User
write that as a forum member
ChatGPT

Subject: Membership Application - Goonswarm Federation

Hey everyone,

I'm thrilled to apply for membership in Goonswarm Federation, the powerhouse of EVE Online! With years of experience in the game, I've been an active and respected member of the community, known for my dedication and skill.

I've had the privilege of being a part of various alliances, honing my fleet operations, logistics, and resource management skills along the way. But now, I want to take my gameplay to the next level and contribute to the legendary success of Goonswarm Federation.

I've always admired Goonswarm's reputation for dominating the battlefield and shaping the EVE universe. Joining your ranks would be an honor and an opportunity for me to learn from the best and contribute to your ongoing triumphs.

Thanks for considering my application, and I can't wait to show you what I'm capable of as a proud member of Goonswarm Federation!

Fly safe, o7

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
gently caress ai, how do I rejoin?

demonicon fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 13, 2023

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Do not post an introduction thread in gbs. I repeat don't do that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Posting it in GBS, you are not my dad!

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Not posting in gbs because you might be my dad and I wouldn't want to disappoint papa

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You're supposed to post it in fyad, not gbs

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Everyone always gets a good laugh out of the banme flag as well, so be sure to use that to make a big splash

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hazdoc posted:

brick your customer's PCs in the process

This happened

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

the local thing is loving weird, because it seems to work after downtime, then break, then completely break so you see no-one and can't connect to any chats, and then after a few hours it will come back with a list of people in local from hours ago

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
this is why corp mail is the superior form of communications in eve online

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Turn on alliance mails

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The only evemails I get are my moon tax and rental bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

the local thing is loving weird, because it seems to work after downtime, then break, then completely break so you see no-one and can't connect to any chats, and then after a few hours it will come back with a list of people in local from hours ago

Was noticing atypical chat issues for a 1-2 weeks before it went on fire. Weird things like people being multiple systems or two private channels being merged. Maybe it’s hard to rollback because the changes were done further back and it took a while to become a dumpster fire. SISI is fine.