Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
$50m to protect homes from flooding? Lol wait until the real price is calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Wheeee posted:

the raccoons shall inherit the earth

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-09-05/the-next-ten-billion-years/ posted:

Meanwhile, in the tropical forests of what is now southern Siberia, the descendants of raccoons who crossed the Bering land bridge during the last great ice age are proliferating rapidly, expanding into empty ecological niches once filled by the larger primates. In another thirty million years or so, their descendants will come down from the trees.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

err posted:

$50m to protect homes from flooding? Lol wait until the real price is calculated.

Haha yeah that's barely anything. Notice that even our token efforts to prepare/mitigate the coming apocalypse are failing or being cancelled? Hmm

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

i will marxishly insist that energy, land and raw materials do nothing without labor inputs. the energy process starts at the sun, but labor is a load bearing moment in that process.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

number... not go up...?

https://twitter.com/JimBair62221006/status/1657479303939125250?s=20

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ruggan posted:

ok, scrap that

next idea: nuclear powered space garbage guns. we can shoot garbage into the sun with nuclear power and that includes the nuclear waste too. the sun is huge so it should handle our little garbage patch nbd. thoughts?

We're orbiting the Sun at 108,000 km/h and you would need get to 108,000 km/h in the opposite direction to counteract that and "fall" into the Sun.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I probably described that wrong but I'm still right, in the spirit of it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

brakeless posted:

video game worlds do just fine with maybe three types of fish, two different domesticated animals, and like two dozen mutated mockeries of our current fauna
that rabidly attack all humans on sight, so I don't even know why we keep all these unnecessary animals around

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

actually you'll find that i am extremely good at driving so none of that matters for me. also get the gently caress out of my way before i run you off the road

its ideological siblings with "good guy with a gun" and "a polite society is a well armed society". I trust any and every american in a car on the road because they're just as likely to die in an accident as they are to kill me. mutually assured destruction with 10 - 100 strangers a day, every day, as a lifestyle.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i grew up driving, went on super long road trips all the time in my 20s

then i moved to nyc, didn't have a car for nearly ten years, never drove

i bought a car a couple years ago. i was terrified. surface streets were enough, but getting on the interstate???? jesus christ. i still can't bear to reduce my insurance coverage because it feels like driving is just loving INSANE

it is insane. now get used to it. hahahahaha.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 21:30 on May 13, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Osv18 posted:

i will marxishly insist that energy, land and raw materials do nothing without labor inputs. the energy process starts at the sun, but labor is a load bearing moment in that process.

me, staring ruefully at marx for not exploring the metabolic rift further

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I probably described that wrong but I'm still right, in the spirit of it.

sorta. pretty sure you'd just use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v_budget?useskin=vector to compare this unless you want to use something that isnt a rocket to get off earth. i think you have a few paths to get to eventually impact the sun so the initial direct sun transfer which is very expensive is misleading. it would probably be an actual very difficult problem to find the cheapest way to impact the sun if you were allowed to use every orbital/physics trick you could and there was no time limit.

im guessing one of the various solar probes. or i guess just the parker solar probe? i thought there were more...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0094576520306512

im not sure how much of that is complicated because they wanted multiple flybys at specific points but compared to actually getting into the sun orbit adjusting that stuff is extremely cheap. so probably however they got that probe into the sun's orbit is the cheapest realistic way.

edit: Ulysses probe is probably a better example. all the papers showing the orbital mission poo poo are ancient/busted or just a bit poo poo though. https://sci.esa.int/web/ulysses/-/31043-orbit-navigation

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 21:46 on May 13, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Our first contact with aliens will just be us finding a big garbage bag.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
And being asked to get in it?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Osv18 posted:

the sun does not extract surplus value and is therefore part of the working class. energy is the sun's labor

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Hubbert posted:

me, staring ruefully at marx for not exploring the metabolic rift further

labour is just anthropomorphized energy.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ah earthlings! Please recycle this space freighter of meta trash, our space time continuum is dyin.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ah earthlings! Please recycle this space freighter of meta trash, our space time continuum is dyin.

Sure, we can "recycle" that no problem. :10bux:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

And being asked to get in it?

Are you telling me to get in the bin?

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:57 on May 13, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the sun does not extract surplus value and is therefore part of the working class. energy is the sun's labor

the sun is an alien waging thermodynamic war on earth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A bunch of warehouses just finished being built over by the nearest highway here because a few years ago the farmers who owned those acres of land saw the writing on the wall and sold :rip:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zodium posted:

the sun is an alien waging thermodynamic war on earth

Maybe if we allowed one person to own the Sun. Then they could profit from it directly. Capital could finally be appeased.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Maybe if we allowed one person to own the Sun. Then they could profit from it directly. Capital could finally be appeased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LbxDZRgA4

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

My brain is tired -all I'm seeing is goatse in figs 3.1 & 3.2

More goatse.

Is this continuing the problems Durham wheat producing areas are having? Italians are already really unhappy with the spike in pasta prices. I don't want to think what will happen if Kraft Dinner prices itself out of reach.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Has anyone seen The Great Global Warming swindle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhCQv5tNsQ

This old CHUD guy at the dog park who shares his weed with me asked me what I'd do about NYC's "immigration problem" and I explained I wouldn't know at all what to do - whereas previously simply not doing imperialism would've done the trick, these days you need to literally fix climate change to address the problem. And then I noted that that's not possible.

Obviously he said that that's non-sense and promised to forward me this video, which he did. Now I can watch it and debunk it that way, not watch and not respond, or someone can summarize what's stupid about it and I can just respond using that.

I am curious but my guess is I last 5 minutes.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/CollapseSurvive/status/1657506110348177409

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

maybe those doomer teens should stop reading this thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

Is anyone else having a massive problem with ticks already this year in the U.S?

We're in Mid Missouri. Tick season has been kinda bad for the past 3 years out here, but this year is already shaping up to be something else and we're only in the start of the season! I thought it was bad last year, but no. This year is so much worse!!!

We just had our neighborhood meeting at our local informal farmers/hobby/homes crafts market and it's a problem everyone is having a hard fight against. Mowing isn't helping, pesticides are kinda useless with the rains. Pet and animal medications both topical and the other forms just isn't being very effective. Most people's chickens and guinea fowls are loaded with more ticks eating at them, than the birds are eating themselves. I just got done helping our chicken neighbor with processing a few birds (start to finish.) And mother of god those birds were just..... Like a really gross version of a cloved Christmas orange. We gave in after 3 birds.

I've sticky taped around windows and doors because so many are crawling in. I'm still changing out the tape dozens of times a day because the tape get so loaded so fast, that ticks use the stuck ones as a bridge!

We are on constant tick checking and cleaning ourselves and pets (this isn't just my family. All of us around here is dealing with this.) Using the various brands of high deet ticks repellent sprays doesn't seem to work on the black legged or lone star ticks at all anymore. (Seems to still help on the gray deer and dog ticks.) And maybe it's just me, but the drat things seem like they hurt and are just burying themselves in deeper when you or your kids/ dogs/cats get one attached!

The last thing anyone out here wants to do is start burning off land because even with the rains drought season is starting too . But some people are so fed up, they've started burning against the ban.

Even worse is they're everywhere out here! Not just the woods, fields and places most people expect or are use to. Cars, school buses, stores, schools. I took my 16 month old for a doctor's appointment and the receptionist came out with a hand vac to "sweep" all around the chairs, tables, frames, etc. When I asked her what she was doing she said "Trying to suck up the ticks getting in."

Anyone else got this going on? And if so, how are you dealing with it in your area? I suspect this is nature's punishment for going on two or three years of pretty mild winters.

ticks ftw. america is founded on parasitic blood sucking, might as well die by it imo

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This old CHUD guy at the dog park who shares his weed with me asked me what I'd do about NYC's "immigration problem" and I explained I wouldn't know at all what to do - whereas previously simply not doing imperialism would've done the trick, these days you need to literally fix climate change to address the problem. And then I noted that that's not possible.

Obviously he said that that's non-sense and promised to forward me this video, which he did. Now I can watch it and debunk it that way, not watch and not respond, or someone can summarize what's stupid about it and I can just respond using that.

It's contrarian climate denier poo poo made specifically to argue against "An Inconvenient Truth"

The core concept based on the summary and the few minutes I watched seems to be saying that climate change is natural by pointing at a natural shift in the climate (the little ice age warmup) and a series of other natural points in history where the climate changed while suggesting people are only worried about it for financial gain.

I skipped around and at 35 minutes they are dropping "Global Cooling in the 1970s" as a way to cast doubt on the science.

44 minutes a scientist is saying they have to say they are doing global warming research to get money. This is presented as suspicious and a suggestion that climate change itself is all about money, so everyone talking about it has something to gain.

I'm not sure if you want to waste your time trying to debunk this to someone that is forwarding it to you. The argument to debunk that is a complex one that the world can actually go through a natural warming period and we can cause climate change on top of that making it worse. The people eating this poo poo up don't understand the little ice age lingering around probably helped to temper our impact on the climate, it doesn't prove some other independent phenomenon is happening instead of climate change.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

you can't fix people who believe that sort of poo poo, either they'll come around to reality on their own or not

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Without even looking at it I'll just take the premise face value; humans are too tiny and insignificant to do anything to the planet and what's happening is all natural forces... which still means that human civilization is about to face the same forces which caused the Permian Extinction in 10,000 years in only a couple centuries. It still means that the biosphere is collapsing globally with unprecedented alacrity, for whatever mysterious reasons totally unrelated to human civilization (god did it I guess). Also this doesn't address ever decreasing ROI on energy production and what that'd about to do to global industrial civilization all on its lonesome but hey again we can just ignore the causes and look at the effects. Denialism on the causes doesn't matter - business as usual is still a dead end. The only people that care about anyone getting the causes right at this point are hopeless pedantic nerds like me because we're well beyond the point where that matters.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

get some possums dumbass

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's what I figured. And you're right, explaining/convincing with respect to solar cycles and Little Ice Age is definitely far more effort than it's worth.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Simply direct them to Something Awful Discussion (SAD) for tips on how to fix that

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

those teens need to post more about video games and less about sad things

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
if they are engineer brained you can try getting them to look at modeling. if they actually do look at modeling studies they'd see that the orders of magnitude breakdown between heating sources and sinks very clearly shows that most of those natural oscillations end up being very small compared to the heating from co2. also they can be deconvolved or convolved and you can pretty much see what the min and max scenarios are and whether a big little ice age would do anything. if they don't trust the models that's their problem. people who heard milankovitch cycle mentioned once and then never investigate it or any of the other natural variations and just assume they're big. can't help those people. they don't actually want to find anything out.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh he's... he's a friend. I wouldn't describe him as bright.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
There's like 86 concurrent wildfires in Alberta, it's only getting hotter this week. How's Hell Niño hitting Cali?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Puppy Burner posted:

There's like 86 concurrent wildfires in Alberta, it's only getting hotter this week. How's Hell Niño hitting Cali?

toasty today, 77-92 depending on region, but not bad yet. no fires yet, but things are still pretty damp/green from rains and haven't dried out into turbo-fire kindling. usually takes a month or two. i expect late august thru sept-oct is going to be the turbo fire season where the state burns down.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wheeee posted:

the raccoons shall inherit the earth
the raccoons will all have their arms broken by Cyril Sneer’s hired thugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Agronox posted:

get some possums dumbass

For years we've had a watch for possums on Vancouver Island. They've managed to make it to a couple of neighbouring Gulf islands but not the main one yet and we're kind of terrified about their arrival.

otoh if they eat ticks I might have to rethink my position. A lot more useful than Trash Pandas, time for alien invasive species to occupy vacant niches.

Puppy Burner posted:

otoh I feel sorry for the people in Alberta having their homes and livelihoods threatened by wildfires. otoh it's hilarious listening to the complaints that the face-eating leopards they keep electing have cut anti-wildfire programs to skeleton crews and are now eating faces.

A heat wave is hitting the coast. Everything in the garden is either bolting to seed or curling up and dying. The heat is melting off the snowpack early and turbocharging the floods in the Interior. Can't wait until the water disappears and things start getting really dry. We'll see if B.C.'s commie socialist government does any better. Hopefully it will be a while before we have to ask our firefighters to come home from Alberta.