Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Big Early 2000s Toonami Vibes

Explains why I feel like I am increasingly living in the timeline before Mobile suits and colony drops.

What even is the Russian plan for if Bakhmut falls? Make another meat grinder and rubble pile out another minor city in a year?

Wagner and what was left of the VDV were basically their only remaining combat effective (such as it is) of their forces. This was basically their last chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1657433538143170562

Lukashenka has the chance to pull the funniest prank in his life right now

CRISIS IN INFINITE SLAV STATES

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
17th of May 2022 marks the day that the worlds former second largest army first started their offensive to take Bakhmut

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tai posted:

17th of May 2022 marks the day that the worlds former second largest army first started their offensive to take Bakhmut

So in just under 4 days it'll be a whole year to try (and fail) to take a small city.

World's 2nd 3rd 4th 5th best army!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The F-22's got the latest engine tech and power. It allows a supercruise speed that is essentially previous generations using their afterburners.
The Concorde could supercruise. So could the F-16XL variant.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Reports emerging thar Russia bombed the hometown of Ukraine's Eurovision act just before they were set to perform:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/13/ukraine-eurovision-acts-hometown-attacked-by-russia-before-performance-18779787/

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1657443786564280322

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

TulliusCicero posted:

Explains why I feel like I am increasingly living in the timeline before Mobile suits and colony drops.

What even is the Russian plan for if Bakhmut falls? Make another meat grinder and rubble pile out another minor city in a year?

Plan?? Wtf is a plan this guy is talking about?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Budzilla posted:

Yeah, but the -16XL is just a prototype that they turned over to NASA to play with, and 4th gen jets typically can't supercruise. I don't think they meant to say it was literally impossible before

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bragachaves05/status/1657434130961899520

naem
May 29, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

I don’t think russia has another year

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Budzilla posted:

Concorde was more of a ground attack plane than a fighter, though.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Cthulu Carl posted:

Concorde was more of a ground attack plane than a fighter, though.

:laffo: got me good on that one. but how does it compare in that role to the Tu-144 :ohdear:

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

TulliusCicero posted:

Probably the same plan they've been following all along. Attack on a wide front, focus on the front that appears to be the weakest. Bakhmut was the only moderate success they had, so they poured everything into it. If they take Bakhmut, they will keep attacking everywhere and hope something sticks. If they don't take Bakhmut, they will keep attacking everywhere and hope something sticks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Storkrasch posted:

Probably the same plan they've been following all along. Attack on a wide front, focus on the front that appears to be the weakest. Bakhmut was the only moderate success they had, so they poured everything into it. If they take Bakhmut, they will keep attacking everywhere and hope something sticks. If they don't take Bakhmut, they will keep attacking everywhere and hope something sticks.

-Sun Tzu

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
https://twitter.com/evanhill/status/1657418824658956289?s=20

It was always War Thunder after all.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm genuinely curious what the official strategic plan (not tactical) is for the war on the Russian side. Like what are their actual strategic goals now? Capturing Kiev? Just consolidating their hold on the donbass? making GBS threads themseleves repeatedly? It seems obvious they just expected ukraine to roll over during the initial invasion and that theyd be able to install a puppet regime, which seems pretty unlikely at this point.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Storkrasch posted:

I think the plan was to take the rest of Donetsk obl. by pushing up from the south but they got to Vulhedar and drove one-by-one into the same minefield so welp.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

I am currently watching early 2000s (summer 2000 specifically, it's Perfect Cell time) Toonami broadcasts and you are extremely correct (i have hundreds of hours of retro tv ripped to my plex server, commercials and all. Audio/visual time capsules basically.)

By any chance do you have recordings of JBVO, the show where Johnny Bravo was basically a Vtuber and took episode requests from people calling in? I refuse to die before I can see the episode where Johnny live-comments on a fast-forwarded episode of Dragon Ball Z one more time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

free hubcaps posted:

I'm genuinely curious what the official strategic plan (not tactical) is for the war on the Russian side. Like what are their actual strategic goals now? Capturing Kiev? Just consolidating their hold on the donbass? making GBS threads themseleves repeatedly? It seems obvious they just expected ukraine to roll over during the initial invasion and that theyd be able to install a puppet regime, which seems pretty unlikely at this point.
"Drop down! Increase speed! Reverse direction!"

It works no matter the context

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1657433538143170562

Lukashenka has the chance to pull the funniest prank in his life right now

I can't wait for the very smart geopolitics-understanders to explain why Putin attempting to Annex Belarus after giving Luka the ol' spicy tea is actually cool and very moral. And Ukraine's fault, obviously.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

kemikalkadet posted:

I think the plan was to take the rest of Donetsk obl. by pushing up from the south but they got to Vulhedar and drove one-by-one into the same minefield so welp.

It just seems like if there was a more coherent plan, there would have been a fallback if some key part failed. Instead they spent six months engaging in urban warfare in order to ????.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

NATO gets to grab Ukraine, so Russia gets to grab Belarus, it's only fair.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

NATO gets to grab Ukraine, so Russia gets to grab Belarus, it's only fair.

Grab em by the Belarussy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Deki posted:

I can't wait for the very smart geopolitics-understanders to explain why Putin attempting to Annex Belarus after giving Luka the ol' spicy tea is actually cool and very moral. And Ukraine's fault, obviously.

I think the better question is if Russia could do that given all the disasters Russia suffered in Ukraine in the past 15 months

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The F-22's got the latest engine tech and power. It allows a supercruise speed that is essentially previous generations using their afterburners.

An F-22 pilot was talking about this scene and how it has some obvious hollywood aspects to it. But he says the reaction is completely accurate. He's been on both sides in a previous generation and flying the F-22 in battle drills where a 5th gen fighter will do something that seems completely impossible and you get shocked into complacency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMb3v5P1t-s

I remember someone saying what would have really happened is that the AA missile would have just happily detonated next to it and that would have been scratch 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I remember someone saying what would have really happened is that the AA missile would have just happily detonated next to it and that would have been scratch 2.

Something something something lol Iran would be the response. They have to simultaneously have super dangerous enemy technology but also unreliable second rate chaff when the narrative calls for it.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cartoon Man posted:

Grab em by the Belarussy.

And when you're a nuclear power, they let you do it. You can do anything.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

free hubcaps posted:

Hold on to as much of what they've taken so far as they can until Trump is back in the White House and starts sending military aid to Russia instead of Ukraine.

Or just hoping war fatigue sets in across the west more generally, aid to Ukraine tapers off and Russia can overmatch their Ukrainian opponents.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What’s the chance of big luc bites it that the military does a coup and tells everyone to gently caress off.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

pablo gbscobar posted:

Reports emerging thar Russia bombed the hometown of Ukraine's Eurovision act just before they were set to perform:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/13/ukraine-eurovision-acts-hometown-attacked-by-russia-before-performance-18779787/

So was this confirmed as a thing

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

War .... War Thunder never changes

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Paracausal posted:

Really good and detailed breakdown of the development of the f35 if anyone is interested
https://youtu.be/YQgNwrtVoZ4

this was really interesting thanks

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

What’s the chance of big luc bites it that the military does a coup and tells everyone to gently caress off.

I'm extremely curious what the typical Belarusian officer thinks about the special military operation. Obviously it says a lot that Belarus didn't join the invasion but I dont think theres a pro-EU supermajority in Belarus, especially in the military

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Such powerful words.

Ukraine War: Remain adequate and do not engage in hat-throwing

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Belarus arrested a bunch of wagner mercenaries in the country a few years ago accusing them of planning a coup

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/07/29/what-were-russian-mercenaries-doing-belarus-wagner-group/

So things aren't 100% copacetic between Belarus and Russia, though expecting any official shift towards the west in the immediate future is probably wishful thinking

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm extremely curious what the typical Belarusian officer thinks about the special military operation. Obviously it says a lot that Belarus didn't join the invasion but I dont think theres a pro-EU supermajority in Belarus, especially in the military

I don’t think they’re pro EU, but I wonder how much they’re pro-I don’t want to die in Ukraine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Storkrasch posted:

It just seems like if there was a more coherent plan, there would have been a fallback if some key part failed. Instead they spent six months engaging in urban warfare in order to ????.

The last time russia had a coherent plan was a week before the invasion. (It was a bad plan, but it was at least coherent.)

Everything after that has been increasingly desperate throwing of poo poo at the wall to try to find what sticks. Their war operations are not being driven by military strategy anymore, but by politics.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Deki posted:

Let me link you to blackandredliberationblog.blogspot.com for unbiased reporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Deki posted:

Well you see when the West does it, it's BAD but when Russia does it well that's just self-defense by a heroic member of BRICS who is FORCED to make these hard decisions for SURVIVAL.

*Can't comprehend why conservatives have adopted a "own the lib" reactionary nonsense as primary policy*