Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

victrix posted:

first, do not let your party sit on high stress

Yes I get how it works, it just feels lovely and I don't like it. That's so much stuff to have to do just so I can avoid a mechanic that's annoying. I really don't like having to use items to do stuff as well (as per my posts about when I stopped playing the first game)

Like I get what you're saying, but the idea "it's easy to manage" is silly when it's so much stuff you've gotta look at.

The random side is yea, them saying poo poo to each other (or having a trait that does it)
It's just eh. Ironically I think I'd have liked it more with the old style, like having relationships build up in your solid teams in the first game seems like it would have been cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I thought about posting some tips after someone a while back asked about relationships.

The biggest impact on relationships is with encounter choices because they are so frequent and have clear outcomes. Its always going to be a risk and trade-off.
Stress management is important long term in a region. However, the game always tries to add more stress so keeping stress low is often unsustainable
Inn items are good for leveraging resources and gambling to get relationships managed. Try to check if there are multiple relationship items before using the %good/%bad relationship items. Use multiples to average the negative gains with the positive so the characters who need it hopefully improve. Use the positive relationships items last to fix any glaring negative pips.
Combat actions can raise or lower affinity but its inconsistent and dependent on other factors like stress. If there's an action combo (switching places and dancing tends to work well), then exploit it. Keeping a buff skill for each character helps to fish for positive interactions as well. The rules are supposed to be based on follow-up actions. So buffing or healing someone after they are attacked should give a positive pip, attacking a target that just attacked a character should give one. But its not always successful. Some characters don't have heals, so buff skills work in their place.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Quirks also play a factor because many negative quirks cause stress barks and many have 4+ stress threshold to have a negative affinity bark when traveling.

Node decisions push you towards a majority call, because while agreeing gives +1 affinity disagreeing gives -2. Again quirk management plays a factor here because some negative quirks cause a hero to be the lone holdout in resist or assist encounters.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I personally like the relationship mechanic itself, but I really wish hovering over a hero in the inn or during event decisions also shows their relationship value with the other heroes. It's pretty troublesome to have to go into the menu every time I wanna check which heroes need the relationship boost.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Taear posted:

Yes I get how it works, it just feels lovely and I don't like it. That's so much stuff to have to do just so I can avoid a mechanic that's annoying. I really don't like having to use items to do stuff as well (as per my posts about when I stopped playing the first game)

Like I get what you're saying, but the idea "it's easy to manage" is silly when it's so much stuff you've gotta look at.

The random side is yea, them saying poo poo to each other (or having a trait that does it)
It's just eh. Ironically I think I'd have liked it more with the old style, like having relationships build up in your solid teams in the first game seems like it would have been cool

feels fine to me? there's only a really small amount of actual randomness, the player is responsible for most of it through managing the party. when your party has good relationships and starts just destroying poo poo because of it the system feels pretty good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

when you first start playing you won't know or possess all the best stress management stuff in terms of not only upgraded skills but also stuff like the pets and other inn items/wagon tools. Later on you'll be able to boost good relationship chances alongside items that will help that. Once I unlocked some stuff I got ahead of the game by immediately applying as many positive relationship items at the first inn as I could. Puts a lot of characters at like 14/20 or 15/20 and sometimes you can get Respectful or Hopeful between 2 heroes incredibly quickly, thus helping negate a lot of nastier poo poo further down the line.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

johnny park posted:

Anyone else getting BSODs with the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT? I've had 3 so far

That's a common error when overclocking your CPU. Your computer may be overheating.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

3 times now I've had the Coward trait hit my front liner (and all 3 on a Mixed Trait roll) which immediately kills the run. Full stop. I've tried to push through before but if you don't see a field hospital in the next like 3 stops it's just a slow bleed, and the worst kind too where you're dudes are all just fumbling around each other and at best not being efficient and at worst just treading water with sustain.

This is not what I would call "making the best of a bad situation." This is what I would call "A misanthropic dungeon master who uses no-save lethal traps with a huge hardon"

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I like the relationship system mostly, but it compounds my real problem with the game which is how limited/conditional the heals are. Like, I take the MAA for stress relief, but I can't use it until people are at 5 stress, oh now they're at 4 but I can't do anything about it because there was no laudanum at the last inn. Or the vestal's heal, which I usually can't even use, and if I do, I better hope nobody else needs it in the next three turns (they will, because all the bosses do AOEs except sort-of the Leviathan).

Basically I feel like I keep getting punished for problems I see coming but the game won't allow me to deal with.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Taear posted:

I mean, maybe if you're good? It happens for me all the time

It was true of DD1, it's true of DD2 : health doesn't overly matter, 1 HP is plenty enough. Stress has to be managed at all times, for it is a slow and patient killer
. Doubly true now that heroes will start ragging on each other and tanking affinities over time when they're at stress 4+.

victrix posted:

pay attention to route choices, especially if going one way will push any party members above 3 stress

That's the one thing I really don't like about the system, because your path through the zone is usually quite clear from the opener - you want to only go through so many wheel/shield decreases or back-to-back fights, you have your hero goals, you want to hit as many shrines or free candles as possible to unlock long term benefits, you may or may not want to beeline the boss or the hospital, you want to avoid the Loathing like the plague it is etc etc.

So basically there is an optimal path for what you want to be doing, which is usually quite obvious and non-negotiable because veering from it by just one node shunts you to a different path altogether. Thus you don't really give a poo poo about party crossroad votes, or at least the cost of following them reaaally isn't worth "just going with it" and foregoing all of your objectives ; and the fact that it can gently caress you over doesn't sit right with me.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm still a long ways off as I just beat Act II, but I am curious -- do all subsequent Acts follow essentially the same structure as Act II (3 paths after valley, not counting sluice, same areas, same rough amount of stops?)

After you beat Act V, do you just do additional rubs, possibly with the dark torches to up difficulty or is there any sort of ng+ at this moment?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Memnaelar posted:

I'm still a long ways off as I just beat Act II, but I am curious -- do all subsequent Acts follow essentially the same structure as Act II (3 paths after valley, not counting sluice, same areas, same rough amount of stops?)

Yes. What changes for each Act is the bonuses Ordained enemies have and what exactly the Cultist Altar provides its allies.

All of the Act bosses are radically different and require different team comps and different preparation. Act III in particularly is an absolute motherfucker, and they are attempting to tune it in the Experimental Branch with some adjustments. I brute-forced Act IV Boss but it required some insane luck and I had only two characters standing. Act V Boss is super-long.

Leatherhead posted:

I like the relationship system mostly, but it compounds my real problem with the game which is how limited/conditional the heals are. Like, I take the MAA for stress relief, but I can't use it until people are at 5 stress, oh now they're at 4 but I can't do anything about it because there was no laudanum at the last inn. Or the vestal's heal, which I usually can't even use, and if I do, I better hope nobody else needs it in the next three turns (they will, because all the bosses do AOEs except sort-of the Leviathan).

Basically I feel like I keep getting punished for problems I see coming but the game won't allow me to deal with.

In the earliest Early Access of DD2, Stress relief skills had no conditions, and it made Stress management absolutely trivial. Kill everything except the last enemy, use all of your Stress relief skills.

In DD1, stalling fights to use all of your heals and stress heals was similarly a problem that required a number of adjustments and patches.

Warden fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2023

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

RVWinkle posted:

That's a common error when overclocking your CPU. Your computer may be overheating.

I haven't overclocked it and this has only ever happened in DD2. Thanks though

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I have been slain by the Obsession boss, and gained zero comprehension of how I'm supposed to fight it in the process.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DD2 feels like I'm constantly losing unless I get lucky. In DD1 on normal difficulty, I was constantly winning unless I got unlucky. Even on Stygian, the game felt much easier than this, because you had more choices available.

Has anyone modded a relationship system into DD1?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Taear posted:

I really don't like having to use items to do stuff

lol

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Xalidur posted:

I have been slain by the Obsession boss, and gained zero comprehension of how I'm supposed to fight it in the process.

Phase 1:
This is a prep phase. The eyes place a mark on the party member opposite of their current position and continue attacking the marked member until they are fully evolved. Fully killing an eye in its least evolved form removes their currently marked target. Taunt does not work here so you need to either Dodge, Guard, or move party members or an eye into position. The phase transitions once all 4 eyes are fully grown. You do not want to spend much time in this phase because of the stress damage unless you're fishing for Resolute procs, which will help in the final phase

Phase 2:
DPS race, good luck. Ideally got all of the marks on your tankiest member or split between 2 of the tankiest last phase because they are going to be on death's door constantly

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, I just played through something like five runs before I realized you could buy stuff at the first inn.

I am not very smart.

And boy is healing so much harder to do in this game.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

In combat healing is harder, but you regen HP while travelling so it's not as necessary anymore. The game generally encourages more proactive strategies, even during boss fights, and healing should only be done in emergencies (hence why they're often only usable on targets below a certain %)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Applying the bonus effect on an enemy and then having the Hellion do their basic attack that deals 50% extra damage if the bonus is on, is deeply satisfying every single time. Just absolutely tears through everything.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Evil Canadian posted:

Applying the bonus effect on an enemy and then having the Hellion do their basic attack that deals 50% extra damage if the bonus is on, is deeply satisfying every single time. Just absolutely tears through everything.

Demon's Pull+ and Wicked Hack+ on an enemy that used to be in Rank 4 is incredibly satisfying.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Well that was frustrating. Got up to the first act boss and it killed everyone but Dismas, but was down to one, the denial of arms. So we ended up in a stalemate where dismas couldn't damage it, but it also couldn't kill him because he had a quirk that made him heal at the start of every round. I played out like 40 rounds to see if he would go resolute, but after 3 meltdowns I got bored and abandoned the run. At least I know to take out that guy first next time.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Well that was frustrating. Got up to the first act boss and it killed everyone but Dismas, but was down to one, the denial of arms. So we ended up in a stalemate where dismas couldn't damage it, but it also couldn't kill him because he had a quirk that made him heal at the start of every round. I played out like 40 rounds to see if he would go resolute, but after 3 meltdowns I got bored and abandoned the run. At least I know to take out that guy first next time.

Take out the one that heals the others upon death first, then either the melee or ranged attack denying one based on your party comp and skills.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Look at you all posting about bosses and acts, and my nemesis is the drummer guy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Drummer guy is definitely a dick, but not that hard to focus down?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wafflecopper posted:

Probably just lacking skills ATM, but he has a way to chain “cover me” pips, at least on my last run.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Probably just lacking skills ATM, but he has a way to chain “cover me” pips, at least on my last run.

I don’t recall exactly but probably only one token per round right? I guess that’s an issue if you don’t have multiple heroes that can hit his rank. I’ve been rolling with leper/highwayman/graverobber/vestal, the last three of which can hit any rank, so drummer and other rear-rank jerks haven’t been a major problem

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

does he have some sort of specialty the have him do his turn action before DOT? I just fought one who had bleed, and he still buffed his crew with an Order before the DOT killed him.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

haldolium posted:

does he have some sort of specialty the have him do his turn action before DOT? I just fought one who had bleed, and he still buffed his crew with an Order before the DOT killed him.
Yeah he seems to have a free drummer action at the start of each round that isn't affected by DoTs and the like.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

(final boss spoilers)

:getin:

I still wanna play around with a Blight comp but I think I'm gonna try switching out the GR for Jester next. I didn't get as many opportunities to make use of the Scourge's Sepsis as I thought I would, and maybe Jester will help in that regard.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

(final boss spoilers)

:getin:

I still wanna play around with a Blight comp but I think I'm gonna try switching out the GR for Jester next. I didn't get as many opportunities to make use of the Scourge's Sepsis as I thought I would, and maybe Jester will help in that regard.

Hell yeah.

I beat that on Friday with Confessor Vestal/Alchemist PD/basic Flag without all the skills unlocked/Ravager Hellion.

I went "oh poo poo" at the first stage with that comp, but things turned around near the end.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Got into DD2 with 1.0 and it's great but it feels a little overwhelming having so many abilities this time and being locked to a team-comp for a whole run. Are there any decent team compositions I should aim for to invest candles in? Kind of just spending randomly right now.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Affinities locking onto a skill I don't even have on my build is the most annoying feature of the new system, the previous while a bit random at least felt more like the party was made of competing personalities

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Exodee posted:

Yeah he seems to have a free drummer action at the start of each round that isn't affected by DoTs and the like.

just had the same situation again, and DOT triggered normal before he could do anything, really not sure whats up with him. I know he gets an extra round start turn but that should not be related to when the DOT triggers...

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Forget all these cosmic horrors, my most hated enemy so far are these fukkin dogs
https://i.imgur.com/7eLqChi.mp4
Made it to the inn anyway but sheesh!

haldolium posted:

just had the same situation again, and DOT triggered normal before he could do anything, really not sure whats up with him. I know he gets an extra round start turn but that should not be related to when the DOT triggers...
I thought it was just his free special drum act that doesn't get the triggers? Not sure tho, but he doesn't have the split action-bar that bosses get so he's definitely an outlier

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Can someone explain what Bleed Out is for? It feels like it hurts you SO MUCH for what it does

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Taear posted:

Can someone explain what Bleed Out is for? It feels like it hurts you SO MUCH for what it does

It is niche skill, meant for long fights against big nasties with multiple turns in the front rank, like the Exemplar. You spam it for three rounds straight to build up Bleed, then use Bloodlust to remove the Winded condition and get a damage boost against bleeding enemies.

Alternatively, if you run Carcass Hellion, you're gonna have to rely on Bleeds to do any damage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ah I guess it's "you haven't got enough skills unlocked to use this" for me then

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

obsession boss not that bad with the right team and a ton of setup.

Was at 20/20/20/17 with every character goin in to the Mountain. ran it with a pd/occultist/flag/MAA. Pumped up deathblow resist on MAA and flag to 90% with trinkets and Nightshade Concoction. brought in a stack of spring water, healing salve, milk soaked rags, and stimulants. Gave the MAA two Stimulating Poultices. Ate 6 rounds in phase 1 to ensure that only the MAA was hit by Seen, kept his stress down with the spring water and healed with the salve and PD. Used Guard on MAA to take Seen tokens and killed eye stalks to target the seen tokens on the Guard. on round 6 i hosed up and my Occultist got tagged, so went into phase 2 with MAA and Occultist with Seen tokens.

used Stimulants right away to make sure the MAA went first, started spamming guard to get 75% damage resist and dumped the second salve into him away because of the heal debuff. Occultist died round 2 like an rear end in a top hat, and the flag/PD just blighted him down while the MAA tanked all the damage. Got a Resolute proc on the MAA which was nice but really just gave him one extra hit. He started at 90% deathblow so he tanked like three death's door and the boss ticked out to blight with the MAA still alive and PD/Flag untouched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Taear posted:

Ah I guess it's "you haven't got enough skills unlocked to use this" for me then

Hellion has several moves that delete her Winded tokens. Only one she starts out with is IIRC the mastered version of Toe to Toe.