Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there anything I should know Before I Play? My understanding is that the STALKER modding community tends toward sadism.

Edit: How do I disable the headbob? I seem to tilt left and right with every step and it gives me an immediate headache.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Sprinting everywhere is a great way to get killed and frequent saves are your friend.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there anything I should know Before I Play? My understanding is that the STALKER modding community tends toward sadism.

You can limit the sadism aspect by looking into mod options. I don't really like the survival aspect much so I just adjust up the quality of stuff and quantity of ammo dropped by enemies. You can also tone down damage received etc. I advise you to also remove the requirement of saving only in safe spaces.
On the other hand I like dealing with magazines, makes preparing for firefight a must. Also having to GTFO because all your ready mags are empty and you need to either fish more out of backpack, or load ammo to empty ones is my kind of fun.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: How do I disable the headbob? I seem to tilt left and right with every step and it gives me an immediate headache.

In Settings -> Visual -> Control, change Headbobbing Factor to 0.

Optionally, if you want far more modern headbobbing that looks and feels pretty good, also:

Go into Mod Configuration Menu -> Camera Reanim Project and check Walk/Run effects.
In-game, press tilde and type in weapon_sway on.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Headbobbing in games makes me feel nauseous for whatever reason. I've heard that changing field of view can ameliorate it, but no amount of playing around with it makes it feel right for me. I just straight turn it off. Same with the depth of field effects; my eyesight is already crappy enough, I don't need to introduce additional blur :v:. If you're like me, you have to go into MCM -> SSS settings to turn it off by the way, the DOF toggle in the graphics menu won't do anything.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

moot the hopple posted:

Headbobbing in games makes me feel nauseous for whatever reason. I've heard that changing field of view can ameliorate it, but no amount of playing around with it makes it feel right for me. I just straight turn it off.

It’s a really dumb feature because even though your head may bob around when you walk/run in real life, your brain and eyes help “smooth” things out so it’s not a completely nauseating experience. The way it’s implemented in games like this turns it into this completely jarring and disorienting experience that, ironically, is more unrealistic than if they had nothing at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

alex314 posted:

I advise you to also remove the requirement of saving only in safe spaces.

Is that in Settings or MCM?

Thanks for the info on headbob and DOF.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It’s a really dumb feature because even though your head may bob around when you walk/run in real life, your brain and eyes help “smooth” things out so it’s not a completely nauseating experience. The way it’s implemented in games like this turns it into this completely jarring and disorienting experience that, ironically, is more unrealistic than if they had nothing at all.

I suppose a more "realistic" approach would be to slightly exaggerate the weapon away as you move around.

I do appreciate there's an option to lower your weapon out of the way by pressing "B" I think.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
drat, first time going through Zaton and it is popping off with ISG shitheads. I ran into three separate squads while doing a loop around the map and got shot to poo poo with most of my limbs broken after each fight. Luckily, I came away with a ISG Nosorog and a Spartan helmet so now I'm sorted for armor for this playthrough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe I’m weird but I’ve never liked the idea of wearing power armor. It just doesn’t feel right aesthetically.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The fact that it's weird, janky power armor is why it works for me. In a game riddled with government black sites & strange R&D, I don't think it's too off-putting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

True and it’s ultimate it much more high tech than the top end SEVA-style suits I prefer to wear (currently rocking a Merc Pathfinder aka Merc ACE Jr).

But I think armor for me mentally will always be the Sunrise Suit. A homemade kit bash jumpsuit

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Power armor is cool because you can stomp around the Zone with your servomotors whirring like Robocop. Complete the cosplay by saying "Your move, creep" every time you blast a bandit in the dick with a full auto pistol.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Just make it so there's an increased number of RPG-toting bandits/kill teams spawned whenever you're in power armour.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Galaga Galaxian posted:

True and it’s ultimate it much more high tech than the top end SEVA-style suits I prefer to wear (currently rocking a Merc Pathfinder aka Merc ACE Jr).

But I think armor for me mentally will always be the Sunrise Suit. A homemade kit bash jumpsuit

I always pictured a stalker suit to be some horrible amalgamation of wetsuit, long johns, duct tape and police issue soft armor vest that fell off a truck. Coupled with parts of a poncho hood and a gas mask found in a surplus store.

So in my latest play session, I learned that you start to slowly die of dehydration when you're down to 3 of the 6ish bars on your thirst meter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

So in my latest play session, I learned that you start to slowly die of dehydration when you're down to 3 of the 6ish bars on your thirst meter.

I should probably figure out where to obtain water.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
In vanilla STALKER getting an exoskeleton is just an end-game upgrade with zero downsides, and in that context it's not very interesting. But in Anomaly and GAMMA, it's finnicky and requires constant and expensive upkeep, I like the idea of taking it out for a specific mission/goal, then back in the stash it goes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

In vanilla STALKER getting an exoskeleton is just an end-game upgrade with zero downsides, and in that context it's not very interesting.

In ShoC it made you unable to sprint, and had insufficient radiation protection for the endgame (which took place in the power plant itself).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
In GAMMA at least you can sprint after an upgrade. Exos in GAMMA also require a PSU and special batteries to keep them charged. However, there's a special PSU that you can craft with the Battery artifact which passively recharges (and I suspect the charge rate for it is bugged because I'm sitting at 400/300 charge and it hasn't dipped despite running all over the place).

Speaking of upgrades, what I've been doing more often in this playthrough is disassembling any gear that has the upgraded arrow symbol on the top right corner (if I don't intend to use it for myself, of course). There's always a chance to recover an upgrade kit this way. Mercs seem to especially have a good chance of carrying around upgraded gear. I haven't needed to craft any 1st tier yellow upgrade kit for a while, and you can sell the excess for good money to ecologists.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are upgrade kits an alternative to paying mechanics for it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, you can install them on a workbench if you have the relevant tool level. I wouldn't bother using them for cheap upgrades but if you have equipment or a specific upgrade that is expensive at the mechanic they're a good thing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i've been running around in a wastelander suit i found in a stash. it's basically the loner's top of the line non exo outfit, even if it ain't no merc ace, but nothing is.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Wastelander is great because of its belt slots, plus it looks like a swamp ninja getup.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wastelander has really weak hazard resists though. Which AFAIK also makes something like a Volat Emerald weaker since Artefacts just act a mutliplier to base suit stats IIRC?

Also its biggest problem is I haven't found one. :colbert:

Honestly I wish there was a Loner equivalent of the Merc Pathfinder SEVA. Not an ACE level super suit, but still really good. Just change it up and bit and include fluff text how its a Pathfinder suit gifted/sold to a talented Loner from Clearsky (Who make the Merc Pathfinders) or a pathfinder looted by a Loner and repaired/customized.

Its really weird how the game has been set up so Loner has really mediocre choice for "endgame tier" own faction armors

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Which AFAIK also makes something like a Volat Emerald weaker since Artefacts just act a mutliplier to base suit stats IIRC?

Not in my experience. When I first crafted my current Volat Emerald (which is at 99% efficiency for reference), I was using a Heisted Exoskeleton, the weak Bandit version of the exoskeleton which has single digit elec resistance, plus a titanium grid and the other suit attachment that both have a negative elec resist. I could still walk into electro anomalies without taking any health damage, just limb damage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There is an over/under version of the Chimera Hunter? :stare:

I might have to give this thing a try... but I can't see it really beating out my Carabiner.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The Chimera Hunter is part of what I've been calling my big game hunter loadout. 4 guns, 14 high caliber shots between them :clint:

I've been facing off against more UNISG and SIN at this point of my playthrough so it's actually less gimmicky than it seems. Delivering a big fuckoff round to defeat SIN forcefields and also one-shot UNISG (can't teleport/blink around if you're already loving dead) has been very effective.

My level of escalation has been .357 for weaker mutants and lowly bandits, 23mm Shrapnel for bigger mutants, 23mm Barrikada and 12.7 FMJ for standard stalkers, 12.7 AP for more up-armored stalkers, and .338 reserved for UNISG/SIN shitheads. Most things die in one shot if I'm on top of my aiming, and it's super satisfying seeing bodies ragdoll and go careening head over feet most of the time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The bandit exo is toothpaste green? gently caress, making me feel drab & dreary in my Monolith grey.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah I think thats a UNISG Nosrog.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why the hell had I never considered running a pistol in both vision and melee? :psyduck: I guess I was stuck in some rigid mindset of ONLY ONE PISTOL AT A TIME like I'm following some iteration of CoD's create a class.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is an over/under version of the Chimera Hunter? :stare:

I might have to give this thing a try... but I can't see it really beating out my Carabiner.

There's a non over/under version?

I found one on a random clear sky guy, it's very good, you only get two shots but by god do they hit like a truck.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

aniviron posted:

The bandit exo is toothpaste green? gently caress, making me feel drab & dreary in my Monolith grey.

That's the ISG Nosorog, arguably the best exo armor. Before that I was rocking the bandit exo and lamenting the fact that I could only find the worst exo. Thank you to the kind UNISG master sergeant in Zaton who donated his only slightly blood stained armor to the cause.

Arrath posted:

Why the hell had I never considered running a pistol in both vision and melee? :psyduck: I guess I was stuck in some rigid mindset of ONLY ONE PISTOL AT A TIME like I'm following some iteration of CoD's create a class.

The fun thing is that my second pistol is actually a quasi sniper rifle because it's the 'Dhampyr' variant of the Desert Eagle which can be rechambered into a single shot 12.7mm and topped with the 3.5 ACOG. It sounds gimmicky and it admittedly is to some degree, but it's great to have a punchy, secondary light sniper to takedown unaware, lone stalkers or guaranteed blast through the first enemy in a group fight when I don't want to waste more expensive .338 with my traditional Deer Hunter sniper rifle. 12.7mm and .338 actually share the same reloading components, however the Deer Hunter can only chamber .338 Lapua Magnum, the AP variant, so I'll usually reserve AP rifle tips for .338 and use up FMJ tips for 12.7mm. Even then I'll have to outright buy ammo since heavy rifle components are harder to come by and even my Chimera Hunter shotgun demands heavy rifle powder. Luckily 12.7mm is available at Warsaw Pact traders and .338 from NATO traders so there's something to be said for diversifying my ammo needs. At least I can buy 23mm Shrapnel cheaply from Butcher and craft .357 for days with my stockpile of scrapped handgun/light rifle ammo components.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DEagles are a gun for wannabe posers. Which is why half the mercs seem to carry them. :colbert:

OwlFancier posted:

There's a non over/under version?

I found one on a random clear sky guy, it's very good, you only get two shots but by god do they hit like a truck.

The only version I had ever found before was a side-by-side. Might’ve been from an old version of the game.

Sadly the TOZ Chimera Hunter doesn’t seem visually different from a standard model, which is slightly disappointing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's got polymer furniture? Or the chequering is slightly different, I do recall it looking slightly different from the dark wood over under you can sometimes find.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah but the barrels and shells being loaded in are the same as far as I can tell. It’s a very minor thing but I am ruled my aesthetic brain worms.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Galaga Galaxian posted:

DEagles are a gun for wannabe posers. Which is why half the mercs seem to carry them. :colbert:

Again, it's not a Desert Eagle, it's a goddamn pocket sniper rifle. If you can't see the cool factor in that, then I feel sorry for you :colbert:

I like to think that my current setup is what a Warhammer Ork would wield if he was transported into the Zone. Why yes, my shotgun is two anti-aircraft gun barrels welded together that launches a spray of metal or huge whopping chunks of lead. So what if my pistol is a single-shot scoped blaster that knocks down people like bowling pins? Who cares if my standard Rem 700 has been torture-fit into this unrecognizable tacticlol monstrosity firing blistering hot rounds that melts my barrel as well as the exo armor it's aiming it? I'm out here safari hunting UNISG and SIN punks :orks101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The actual deagle is also pretty good, takes a sight and fires 357 semi auto.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Building a .50cal hand cannon is cool, but that is the lamest base you could’ve made it out of. .357 is cool, use a Rex or Coonan.

The Desert Eagle is overrated Hollywood crap. It is, as the kids say these days, “Cringe”.

:colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Grok please add a .500 S&W tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I looted a gold Desert Eagle on a merc last night.