Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s fun! Maybe not $20 fun, but $10-$15 fun for sure.

thats what im tallkn bout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I do feel like it takes way too long for stuff to hit the ~$5 rental price. If they did that while there's still even a little bit of heat on the movie I feel like they'd get a lot more money out of it, as someone who knows zero about the financial details.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finished Guy Ritchie's The Covenant just now. I enjoyed it. It's not a slick action blockbuster or anything, and not paced or edited how you might think a Guy Ritchie military action film would be. It's pretty straight forward, funnily enough. It also doesn't really go hard with any hoorah jingoistic poo poo either; nothing too militaristically propganda-ish outside of like a spectre gunship doing its thing. It instead presents a fairly engaging premise about human resolve and empathy. And drat, the actor who played the interpreter gave a really great, understated performance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Glottis posted:

I do feel like it takes way too long for stuff to hit the ~$5 rental price. If they did that while there's still even a little bit of heat on the movie I feel like they'd get a lot more money out of it, as someone who knows zero about the financial details.

I think it just feels long because it's available the whole time. Before you would have no VOD access for like 3-5 months then it would drop as a $5 rental. Now it drops day 1 and you have to wait the same amount of time for it to hit normal rental price. You could probably argue that ticket sales fizzle out much quicker than that and it would make sense to drop it to normal rental price quicker, but no one would pony up $20 if they knew they could rent it for $5 in a couple of weeks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Upsidads posted:

When the heck did streaming rentals go from 5 to six bucks to 20 to rent 25 to own does this work at all?

I think the newest change is having the $25 to own option right away, rather than it only being rentable for $20 the first period.

But yeah, not sure that pricing makes much sense.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

I think it just feels long because it's available the whole time. Before you would have no VOD access for like 3-5 months then it would drop as a $5 rental. Now it drops day 1 and you have to wait the same amount of time for it to hit normal rental price. You could probably argue that ticket sales fizzle out much quicker than that and it would make sense to drop it to normal rental price quicker, but no one would pony up $20 if they knew they could rent it for $5 in a couple of weeks.

Probably true. Also feels like it's being pushed at me for the $20 price a lot then just disappears, maybe that's when it hits $5, and the algorithm no longer cares to promote it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

I found it easier just to buy a physical copy of 1995’s hit comedy Major Payne instead of renting it every other month

You want sympathy, you look in the dictionary between poo poo and syphilis!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I rewatched major Payne for the first time since I was like 10 years old a few months ago, and it’s honestly still very funny

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I rewatched major Payne for the first time since I was like 10 years old a few months ago, and it’s honestly still very funny

I just rewatched Down Periscope for the first time since it was out, and I'd say the same for it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

smackfu posted:

I think the newest change is having the $25 to own option right away, rather than it only being rentable for $20 the first period.

But yeah, not sure that pricing makes much sense.

It was definitely odd having the DnD movie hit streaming rentals and have it still be cheaper to get to watch it in a theater, but I get that until we finally get standardized always-on cameras in our TVs that they have to account for the rental possibly being watched by a whole family.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm going to upgrade my recommendation - Silo is a good show.

The Big Door Prize still isn't fantastic but how did I not realize before the beginning of episode 9, when it's in my face, that there's a theremin in the theme song?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

mcmagic posted:

Season 2 of Sweet Tooth is worse than the first one.

watched two episodes so far and yeah agreed. also the gopher kid is still creepy as hell

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They leaned into the schmaltz that people responded to from the first season but it does keep the horrible(in theme not quality wise) stuff they kept from the comic much worse.

At least Netflix told them season 3 will be the last when they were prepping it so it'll have a conclusion.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I just rewatched Down Periscope for the first time since it was out, and I'd say the same for it.

Down Periscope is one of those movies that I would leave on when I stumbled across it on cable. Back when I still had cable. Entertaining, and strikes just the right balance of not taking itself too serious, without going into crazy pants area.

It helps that it seems like Kelsey Grammer (and pretty much everyone else in the movie) is really having fun in his role.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ugh frasier 2 is gonna suck isn’t it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's hilarious that that's a sentence that means something, not like, a throwaway twitter joke

they better call it Frasier 2

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

watched two episodes so far and yeah agreed. also the gopher kid is still creepy as hell

he looks like the gopher from caddyshack lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I kinda recall hearing that The Leftovers gets better as it goes along? Finally getting around to it after years of raves, and the first two episodes aren't exactly pulling me in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Absolutely, and it's been obvious since well before it was announced.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Enos Cabell posted:

I kinda recall hearing that The Leftovers gets better as it goes along? Finally getting around to it after years of raves, and the first two episodes aren't exactly pulling me in.

Yes I thought each season was better than the last. It's a good ride. I recommend it to everyone

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Season 2 is the highlight. Might be one of my favorite seasons of any show ever. Three was worth watching for the residual interestingness that they set up in season 2.

Its not the type of show where you can skip Season 1, but Season 1 does get better over time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Yes I thought each season was better than the last. It's a good ride. I recommend it to everyone

Superrodan posted:

Season 2 is the highlight. Might be one of my favorite seasons of any show ever. Three was worth watching for the residual interestingness that they set up in season 2.

Its not the type of show where you can skip Season 1, but Season 1 does get better over time.

Right on, I'll stick with it. Wasn't exactly disliking it, but the backlog of content is an ever looming threat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Enos Cabell posted:

Stick with it. It starts slow but picks up toward the end of the first season and seasons 2 or 3 is some of the best TV you will ever watch.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

The Leftovers is one of the best shows of all time. Just watch all of it and you won’t disagree. You’ll say the same thing to the next person I promise.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's pretty funny to look back at all the stuff Lindeloff did other than the Leftovers and how mostly dumb it all is.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Inside is on Peacock. I liked it but I can see why it's divisive amongst critics. It looks like a survival thriller but it's more of a Willem Dafoe one man show that does sort of get boring at times despite a really good performance. I think slicing about 20 minutes off would have helped it a lot.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I went into the Leftovers having heard the hype and being skeptical because I didn't really care for Lindeloff's other stuff and I came away thinking it was a masterpiece. It's probably one of if not the best examples of setting up a universe and then taking it to completely new places each season but doing so in a cohesive way.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

A MIRACLE posted:

Hey maybe it will lead to a spinoff cheers sequel.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Inside is on Peacock. I liked it but I can see why it's divisive amongst critics. It looks like a survival thriller but it's more of a Willem Dafoe one man show that does sort of get boring at times despite a really good performance. I think slicing about 20 minutes off would have helped it a lot.
Yeahhh, I saw it in theaters and thought it was pretty eh. Mediocre director. Plus it's not Willem's fault but everyone has this image of him fixed from like 20 years ago but the man is 67 years old now and watching him attempting the stuff the character does in the film just felt comic for me. Like hey dude he's not getting out, he's more likely to have a fall and not be able to get up. Feels more like something they should've gotten say, Michael Fassbender for.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The main thing that surprised me is how little actually happens. The premise is so good, it makes you wonder about all the crazy places the story could go, and and the answer is "nowhere". If you have seen the trailer you have basically seen a much less drawn out/tedious version of the entire movie. with the only looming question being whether or not he gets out. It hints at a few twists and turns, but all of them amount to nothing.

Also the apartment just like, doesn't seem like a real place that would exist or someone would live in. So much of the events of the movie hinge on this place malfunctioning in ways that seem totally outlandish so you end up with this thing that is so bare bones but still feels like fantasy. Also so much of it doesn't work considering the building is full of other tenants and staff.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So he's not, like, actually in hell or being subject to some postmodern art project or something? Because halfway through those were the only interpretations I could come up with for how thoroughly the apartment seems to have been set up to gently caress over someone trapped inside. Starting to think I might not bother finishing it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Random recent watchlist:

AIR on Prime is an incredibly standard biopic but the performances are good. Nice to see a fresh Affleck + Damon teamup again. Also, if if bothers you as much as it did me: the shoe designer with a slight lisp also voiced Wade in GTAV.

Shiva Baby on HBO is a 70 minute Jewish millennial bisexual panic attack, which is kinda funny and kinda annoying depending on how much that sounds interesting to you.

Poker Face the show on Peacock absolutely owns, everyone is firing on all cylinders. Conversely, Poker Face the movie on Hulu is Russell Crowe writing and directing babby's first movie and is pretty bad, but there's some unintentionally comedy in Liam Hemsworth in old age makeup so he can play someone the same age as Crowe.

We got Showtime for a few months so my wife could watch the new season of Yellowjackets (same plodding slow reveal mysticism BS as the first season, Christina Ricci still hot, you get the gist), so out of curiosity I watched the first two seasons of Brotherhood and...it kind of sucks? It's good actors performing the most boring material possible, like if the Sopranos forgot to have a sense of humor or be about the sickness of America's 21st century cultural collapse.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, a lot of people felt that way after the first two episodes, especially when the show first aired, so when I recommend the show to someone I advise reserving judgment until watching the first three episodes.

Odds are good the third episode will help pull you in.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Random recent watchlist:

AIR on Prime is an incredibly standard biopic but the performances are good. Nice to see a fresh Affleck + Damon teamup again. Also, if if bothers you as much as it did me: the shoe designer with a slight lisp also voiced Wade in GTAV.

Shiva Baby on HBO is a 70 minute Jewish millennial bisexual panic attack, which is kinda funny and kinda annoying depending on how much that sounds interesting to you.

Poker Face the show on Peacock absolutely owns, everyone is firing on all cylinders. Conversely, Poker Face the movie on Hulu is Russell Crowe writing and directing babby's first movie and is pretty bad, but there's some unintentionally comedy in Liam Hemsworth in old age makeup so he can play someone the same age as Crowe.

We got Showtime for a few months so my wife could watch the new season of Yellowjackets (same plodding slow reveal mysticism BS as the first season, Christina Ricci still hot, you get the gist), so out of curiosity I watched the first two seasons of Brotherhood and...it kind of sucks? It's good actors performing the most boring material possible, like if the Sopranos forgot to have a sense of humor or be about the sickness of America's 21st century cultural collapse.

Shiva Baby was really good. I went in blind and was pleasantly surprised. I also watched the Year Between last night which was really depressing but a good look at bipolar.

That said, I only watched it because my service mislabeled Steve Buscemi as Steve Carell.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

eighty-four merc posted:

Yeah, a lot of people felt that way after the first two episodes, especially when the show first aired, so when I recommend the show to someone I advise reserving judgment until watching the first three episodes.

Odds are good the third episode will help pull you in.

Yup, that's exactly what happened. Still don't fully have my bearings yet, but things are moving along in a satisfactory way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh RRR is the greatest movie of all time. I've been incredulously cackling for an hour and a half.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Shageletic posted:

Uh RRR is the greatest movie of all time. I've been incredulously cackling for an hour and a half.

Id like to see the greatest movie of all time, but I can’t sort out what RRR is

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basic Poster posted:

Id like to see the greatest movie of all time, but I can’t sort out what RRR is
I think RRR is the actual title of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Shageletic posted:

It seems like every bombastic movie from India from Shankar's Robot all the way to Shankar's Eye