Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Turmoilx, you should try to (with the thread’s help) to figure out your gear range. The combination of the hub, cog, and chainring. Then it’d make sense to pick between 104 vs 130 bcd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know where I can source a 46/30 or 48/31 104bcd chainring set? Apparently they exist(ed ?) because power2max sold a crankset with them.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

kimbo305 posted:

Turmoilx, you should try to (with the thread’s help) to figure out your gear range. The combination of the hub, cog, and chainring. Then it’d make sense to pick between 104 vs 130 bcd.

lucky for me the frames site provided that they recommend 24t rear and 46t front i didn't even have to ask it was just there :D

vikingstrike posted:

Whats the bike the crank is going on? You have to have a belt drive compatible frame/bike to use that part which I’m not sure you have.
yeah i ordered the wolverine 4.0 b type from soma. the only crankset that i can find that would be the right size i think, is the gates brand itself but thats not very cool :smith:

FSA makes 104bcd spiders

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 14, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This is good and flexible, I have used it quite a bit when life gets in the way of things like the Zwift plans which don’t allow much leeway:

https://sparecycles.blog/2022/01/02/sustainable-training/

This is essentially the training structure I used in the buildup to my third and fourth national titles.
It's objectively better than any of the trainerroad plans, but is not as varied so I know some folks find it boring. poo poo works tho

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cutty Cap scavenger cap is next weekend
https://ridewithgps.com/news/8137-the-2023-cutty-cap-challenge
You just need to sign up for RideWithGPS to get the notification email.

My unsuccessful trip report from last time:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3933902&pagenumber=35&perpage=40&highlight=cutty,cap#post523985825

This yeah, I might try harder and bike down inside what I hope will be the perimeter right, waiting at 8a for the launch.

Turmoilx posted:

lucky for me the frames site provided that they recommend 24t rear and 46t front i didn't even have to ask it was just there :D

What hub are you going to get? You going single speed?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 14, 2023

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
for now the shimano 8 speed alfine hub to keep the cost down some, later on if i like the way this works then ill dive into the rohloff (years later)

https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/products/cranksets/s550-black-cdx cant find it online for sale, checked their listed sellers not a single one.. :colbert: thats upsetting,. ill see if bike shop can order it

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 14, 2023

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Turmoilx posted:

450g full carbon forks for under $300, why do they have an option to "add headset lower" to the cost though, that comes with a headset doesn't it, confused on that. looks like a good choice though
https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/frames/products/state-bicycle-co-carbon-fiber-black-label-gravel-fork

I think they're referring to an adapter so that you can use the tapered steerer tube in a straight 1⅛ headtube.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Turmoilx posted:

Ok. You can play around with your expected cruising cadence and see what kinds of speeds that works out on this calculator:
https://www.ritzelrechner.de/?GR=SHA8&KB=46&RZ=24&UF=2170&TF=80&SL=2.6&UN=MPH&DV=speed

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

looks fine to me, do you think it's bad?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Hit up some nice gravel and did my second imperial century this week. ~85% of the ride was on nicer paved roads mind you, but it's nice to get some variation in and pretty blissful to ride along a 10k gravel section with not a single car (nor even another person) in sight.
Very used to 100k rides by now but the jump up to add those extra few hours on top to get to a hundred miles has been surprisingly difficult - mainly due to failing to fuel enough for that back half, since the "get home real hungry after four hours" plan falls apart a bit! Just gotta start actively eating more earlier I figure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Turmoilx posted:

looks fine to me, do you think it's bad?

It seems decent, though I’d probably err a lower gearing so I wouldn’t have to mash up the occasional steep hill. Really depends on your fitness and cadence preference.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Anybody got a lot of experience with leg injury recovery ?

6 weeks ago I broke my ankle (lateral maleolus) while skiing, I spend nearly 4 weeks with the ankle in a cast. I have been doing almost home trainer session, gradualy increasing from 10min to 1 hour and also increasing power a little. I can ride without pain for 1 hour as long as I spin fast and stay on the saddle.
After getting the greenlight from the physio, today I went outside for the first time since the accident, an easy 30km loop with only 1 short 10% hill and odly enough, my assioma pedals are saying that my injured leg is putting out more power than the healthy one.
Gets to a 54/46 split on average while I was expecting the exact oposite.

Is this common ? what black magic is this ?
maybe due to increased awareness of the injured leg ?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I ended up doing nothing to the bent seatstays. They are bent as it is. I assembled the bike. It had 600 arabesque full set originally. Every goddamn part in the bike has SHIMANO - even the chromed dropouts have SHIMANO stamped on them, and the chain guide on bottom bracket has SHIMANO stamped on it..

Now I've removed nearly all of the 600 arabeqsque set, only the headset bearings are still there, just with new loose balls.

Maybe someone likes the 600 arabesque but I don't. Now I it has Dura-ace FC-7410 cranks, 130BCD and 52-40t chainrings. Tange BB. 2x11 Ultegra 8000 deraileurs and 11-32t casette, Shimano 105 shifters. H+Son Archetype rims, bargain bin Tiagra 36h hubs and Sapim D-Light spokes, except Sapim Race in rear on deraileur side.

Continental GP 5000 tyres + Schwalbe aerothan innertubes. The tyres are now INCREDIBLE. I can't sing enough praise about them. At 85psi it felt like I was flying on a magic carpet, compared to my Peugeot with similar sized Continental Touring tyres and regular butyl innertubes at 65psi...

The same Ultegra BR-6600 brakes are so much better with the new rims and 105 shifters. I bought the 105 shifters instead of Ultegra because Ultegra was available only in black, and black deraileurs are already nearly too much for me..

Stem was misaligned, but it was so tight I could not get it loose on the road. So I straightened it at home after a test run, straightened the handlebar too, and lowered the stem by 1cm. It felt it was a bit too high. Need to true the wheels again, my wheelbuilding skills are not good enough that the wheels stay true, no matter how much I follow Sheldon Brown's instructions.

e: another photo from the wall:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 14, 2023

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

that's pretty.

there's some real fat sales on 2022 bikes i see right now

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 15, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for the training suggestions! I’ll give the sparecycles plan a shot, the flexibility/simplicity seems good. Will see how good I am at judging what’s an all out vs just under all our effort :)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day.

This weekend's weather was poo poo for riding--hot and muggy isn't a problem, but the atmosphere was notably unstable, so the forecast was for scattered thunderstorms that just popped up whenever and wherever without much notice. Cut to me deciding that it looked good enough for a ride yesterday, and I set out in the early afternoon. The sun went away quickly, but the forecast said overcast but dry, so screw it, I thought. My wife followed my progress with RWGPS's live updates. I got a text a few minutes in from my wife: "omg be careful out there," but I figured that was because I wrecked a couple weeks ago. On I went. Half an hour later, I got one that actually stopped me: "Turn around!".

In front of me it was just overcast and hazy, but because of that message, I looked back, and the sky in that direction was dark with flashes of lightning. I was on a bike trail along a canal with no roads nearby, so I turned around and rode a few miles to a place she could easily pick me up at. If it were just rain, I'd have carried on, but I was not about to be the tallest object moving atop a levee in a thunderstorm; there are no nearby trees or structures anywhere near the berm to distract the lightning from your presence. The heavens opened a few moments after we were on our way. The storm was epic. For, oh, seven minutes or so.

On the plus side, the gravel section of that trail looks like it's been cleaned up, re-sealed, and re-chipped. Last year, that section literally blistered my rear end. This time, the first couple of miles weren't bad at all. Definitely not smooth like pavement or crushed limestone, but nowhere near the driveway-gravel-adorned, bone-rattling hellscape I dealt with last year. I'm going to go back next weekend I get a chance to see if they've "fixed" that whole section.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

My road bike is cool and fun and I've done a lot of optimisation to it to make it perfect for me, but I also don't like the way it looks and it's pretty beaten up so I've been looking at bikes that are of a similar era and spec

Someone talk me out of this this

You're basically leaving cash on the table if you don't buy that bike.

It's probably already gone, you dithered about it too much.

Oh well, could have been cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I looked at it in person and surprise! It was owned by a lead poisoned boomer who drastically overstated the condition (it was poor, including crash gouges on the aluminium fork, itself a terrible idea I simply could not live with), badly overestimated the price, and then went into full on denial when I pointed out the three inch crack in the down tube emanating from one of the shift cable perches. I feel bad for anyone who hits buy now on that thing.

Instead I found a slightly cheaper, newer bike that looks like it has a semi intentional factory malboro colour scheme, I will post it when I've got it in my hands.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Instead I found a slightly cheaper, newer bike that looks like it has a semi intentional factory malboro colour scheme, I will post it when I've got it in my hands.

Like Marlboro racing livery? The old poo poo?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah

You can't tell me that's a total coincidence (that is a google pic btw)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

As someone who owns an actual Marlboro branded bike, I approve

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Hey red Specialized Allez comp buddy

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

As someone who owns an actual Marlboro branded bike, I approve

Somebody smoked a loooot of cigs to earn the miles for that bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Somebody smoked a loooot of cigs to earn the miles for that bike.

2,200 Marlboro miles, and you got 5 miles per pack so 440 packs. Then you had to pay an extra $110 on top of that, in 1996 dollars.

The stock parts are all horrible, absolute trash tier boat anchors but the frame is decent. Gets some looks when you roll up on it.

https://youtu.be/q-8fAnGOpqI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

2,200 Marlboro miles, and you got 5 miles per pack so 440 packs. Then you had to pay an extra $110 on top of that, in 1996 dollars.

The stock parts are all horrible, absolute trash tier boat anchors but the frame is decent. Gets some looks when you roll up on it.

https://youtu.be/q-8fAnGOpqI

:psyduck:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

An Allez of that vintage is just modern enough it can take mostly everything short of disc brakes wheels (not that I even like them on a road bike) and is going to be such a better platform than that GT frame, despite the cool rear triangle thingy.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

somehow they (universal cycles response email) found me a crankset that i can use the arms off of .. they responded with 3 different ones but only one of em i saw that would work +being the right size im aiming for of 170mm

and its not expensive, cost less than the $350 gates option to get the crankset+gates sprocket so :toot: its the Shimano FC-M640 ZEE Crankset (104mm bcd no idea how i couldnt find it before i looked pretty hard there

now to hope all these random parts line up the belt to be straight ..i don't know how that works so in the end maybe my only option is the gates crankset ..this should be okay for now.
i think i can center it with some rear hub tweaking of the axle? or spacer rings on the bb/sprocket area if thats needed when the time comes.
i also sent a ticket to gates telling them nobody uses 104/130bcd and that they should make direct mount chain rings instead :colbert: and also make the s550 crankset available to buy more places

share'n this cool frame design i came across that i would if i could, because no frame fishing for chains/belt. just checked its a $4500 frame set lol bike frames need more competition!

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 16, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Does anyone have thoughts on this Beeline Velo 2 tiny bike computer? https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-cycling

I've been thinking about getting some kind of turn-by-turn-capable bike computer, but I've been put off by some of the prices, and my Brompton's M handlebars kind of limit what I can mount to it:

I could get a handlebar bridge to mount more stuff (e.g. https://www.clevercycles.com/och-brompton-handlebar-bridge-extender.html), but figured since this is both a cheap and tiny option I should ask if anyone here has experience with it. Reviews seem somewhat polarized, though most of the recent ones note the software has improved a lot since the initial launch.

So far I've just been using my iPhone + Apple Watch for tracking (using the WorkOutdoors app), but I have an iPhone 13 Mini and the cheaper watch that relies on the phone for GPS, so as you can imagine it burns through battery pretty quick. I would just use a phone mount for my turn-by-turn but I want to do some longer trips this year, and I'm a bit worried that even with an external battery I'd be having trouble staying charged.

was surprised to see that that bike was by fuji; i had previously read about bmw's mid-90s folding bike, which was by montague: https://steel-vintage.com/products/bmw-mtb-faltbar-kauf-200506-02-01

wild that there were multiple companies getting weird cobranded folding bikes in the mid 90s. not only that, but bmw somehow has a new one?? maybe a tern or dahon? https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6436/BMW-FOLDING-BIKE

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 16, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Wahoo's Elemnt Roam v1 is on sale for $200 pretty much everywhere. I got one last year when the bike shop was marking them down to make room for the v2 model, which is naturally better. But, the Roam isn't bad at all, as long as you don't have the Re-Route to Path option selected. That option sounds great--go off path, and it'll get you back to the path. But two times it simply routed me back to the start of the route I'd mapped, and that's no good because it will not give you any other directions.

For $200, a full-function GPS bike computer that can sync to sensors and works great with several route-planning & navigation apps isn't a bad deal. And, who knows? Wahoo might even still be in business by year's end!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wahoo is probably vaporware at this point

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The bolt and roam bike computers are solid hardware and up untill now were well supported. Apparently their trainers are good too.
I don't know what the gently caress they are doing wrong to be going bankrupt unfortunately, might be that buying speedplay wasn't such a good option and so is their triathlon watch.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Krogort posted:

I don't know what the gently caress they are doing wrong to be going bankrupt unfortunately, might be that buying speedplay wasn't such a good option and so is their triathlon watch.

I think it's mostly that they looked at their trends from 2020-2021 and decided "yes, this is how the market will be for the next 5 years" and of course it was not.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vando posted:

I think it's mostly that they looked at their trends from 2020-2021 and decided "yes, this is how the market will be for the next 5 years" and of course it was not.

They also have pretty much zero reason to upgrade any of their products, and nothing to differentiate then from far cheaper options.

Their high end computer is not really very fancy, and the newest version released is barely different to the old one - compared to Garmin they’re lagging well behind in fancyness & features.

Their lower end trainers are far more expensive than the competition, their higher end and smart bike options are both worse AND more expensive than alternatives. Smart trainers are now a generic commoditised zwift interface, used ~half the year at most by the vast majority of users.

Speedplay stuff has always been stupidly expensive, has some big design problems (far worse with mud than Shimano road cleats). They introduced a new bearing issue when they released new pedals after the acquisition that meant multiple warranty returns for most users of their $$$ pedals.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, they're a high end brand without a USP, lots of competitors, and sell things that most people buy only once every 5-10 years.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just got a Garmin 1040 and it rules. So huge.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I have a Garmin running watch from 2013/14 which still gets updates and I can use it as a bike computer with all my sensors in a pinch. That kind of longterm support is what drove me to get the Edge 1040.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I overlooked the convenience of being able to hit bigger buttons on the bigger screen while on the move.
I could do with a little smaller, but it makes sense if you're doing a primarily touch interface.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

wahoo is probably vaporware at this point

For the lifespan of the gadget, $200 for a static firmware with upgradable maps is still ok, imo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

abraham linksys posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on this Beeline Velo 2 tiny bike computer? https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-cycling

I've been thinking about getting some kind of turn-by-turn-capable bike computer, but I've been put off by some of the prices, and my Brompton's M handlebars kind of limit what I can mount to it:

I could get a handlebar bridge to mount more stuff (e.g. https://www.clevercycles.com/och-brompton-handlebar-bridge-extender.html), but figured since this is both a cheap and tiny option I should ask if anyone here has experience with it. Reviews seem somewhat polarized, though most of the recent ones note the software has improved a lot since the initial launch.

So far I've just been using my iPhone + Apple Watch for tracking (using the WorkOutdoors app), but I have an iPhone 13 Mini and the cheaper watch that relies on the phone for GPS, so as you can imagine it burns through battery pretty quick. I would just use a phone mount for my turn-by-turn but I want to do some longer trips this year, and I'm a bit worried that even with an external battery I'd be having trouble staying charged.

was surprised to see that that bike was by fuji; i had previously read about bmw's mid-90s folding bike, which was by montague: https://steel-vintage.com/products/bmw-mtb-faltbar-kauf-200506-02-01

wild that there were multiple companies getting weird cobranded folding bikes in the mid 90s. not only that, but bmw somehow has a new one?? maybe a tern or dahon? https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6436/BMW-FOLDING-BIKE

This isn't really bike computers exactly, but OCH parts has some good brompton stem mounts for phones:

https://ochparts.com/

I personally use this one, but it's specific for a peak design case.

https://ochparts.com/products/adjustable-peak-design-stem-adapter-for-brompton?variant=43492026188006

There are other more generic ones you could use instead like this which should work universally for phones if you get the corresopnding phone mount:
https://ochparts.com/products/brompton-stem-adapter-for-gub-85-phone-holder
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799GXHMZ?tag=favorites090-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 16, 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Yeah, really been enjoying mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

For the lifespan of the gadget, $200 for a static firmware with upgradable maps is still ok, imo.

Will it still work if wahoo dot com is unreachable? A couple of years ago the app for my kickr made me create an account with the company to keep using it for calibration and firmware updates