Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Dev takes 3 seconds to add the wear-and-tear timer...

wear_and_tear_time = time_now - spawn_time;

Citizen X spends 336 minutes of their life tesing different activities, to determine what minimises wear and tear. Amazingly, the only successful approach is to avoid spawning the ship in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/s0JtvCn.gifv

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Mr Fronts posted:

Dev takes 3 seconds to add the wear-and-tear timer...

wear_and_tear_time = time_now - spawn_time;

Citizen X spends 336 minutes of their life tesing different activities, to determine what minimises wear and tear. Amazingly, the only successful approach is to avoid spawning the ship in the first place.

3 seconds? More like 3 months of research and brainstorming about thinking about possible implementations of the potential first tier bullet list broad overview

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The only wear and tear this game implements are on wallets and the internet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

The only wear and tear this game implements are on wallets and the internet.

Also the tears in the eyes in small children as they one day discover that their fathers left them an inheritance of nothing but green blue ever-oscillating pixels.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Play TLoZ: Lacerates Of The Kingdom (on an emulator, on your PC), an actual game, that's, er, out.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Only Kindness posted:

Play TLoZ: Lacerates Of The Kingdom (on an emulator, on your PC), an actual game, that's, er, out.

quote:

The time and money are kinda not great points as far as measuring progress.

Nintendo for example, is a 52 BILLION dollar corp who took 6 years to make BoTW (A jumped up mobile game if we're honest) and 6 more to make ToTK despite having the engine, ai, assets, enemies, world, etc all already built from BoTW, clocking ToTK in at arguably 12 years of total development for a single player game that runs on (outdated) mobile phone level hardware.

Meanwhile CIG had to bootstrap an entire studio from the ground and build something several orders of magnitude more complex WHILE keeping it in a state that we can keep playing with it while they work on it.

Honestly if it takes ANOTHER 10 years, I will understand. I will be drat near 50 .... but I will understand.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Kinda astounding that they’ve managed to run a more complex and realistic world, physics and chemistry model at higher frame and tick rates than SC on said outdated mobile device. Fires won’t continuously burn when the atmospheric conditions don’t support it in TOTK, for example.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah, I remember that quote, you have to admire their dedication to getting it backwards.

All this, on phone hardware, like some caveman! I'll have you know shart citizen gets 14fps on a beefy rig, and that's how we like it!

(They always use words like "beefy" and "rig" too. Ugh.)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Yeah, I remember that quote, you have to admire their dedication to getting it backwards.

All this, on phone hardware, like some caveman! I'll have you know shart citizen gets 14fps on a beefy rig, and that's how we like it!

(They always use words like "beefy" and "rig" too. Ugh.)

TOTK even features coloured bounce lighting on objects, fully dynamic shadow casting and volumetric interactive fog effects. It’s definitely limited by the hardware but holy poo poo are they pushing right up against it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLlZBwN_-C4

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Plus, if you think about it (by which I mean, don't think about it, like a backer) Zelda 2 took 134 years and 52 billion dollars to develop, and costs 70 bucks, so by that metric, a project to build a broken Crysis mod, that doesn't work, taking 12 years and half a billion dollars, that costs thousands of dollars to buy into, and you get nothing, is actually great value!

Don't look into the fact "the project" (their words) failed like eight years ago and is just a walking corpse now, just gib munny.

Zelda's the kid with the green hat, right?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Yeah but does ZELDA have deformable beds and hotdog vendors? CHECKMATE.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
lol the new ship is a cockpit with guns on it that doesn't even have a warp drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy13R8VJsKM

these guys are like reverse deadpool. MINIMAL EFFORT

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So it's a B5 Starfury with more greebles and less realism.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tippis posted:

Babylon 5 is my entire personality. I love that show so much.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tippis posted:

Literally, right down to the name. They just went ahead and called it the "Fury", like, in the game. They're even avoiding talking about that by saying that it's the SC equivalent of the TIE fighter, which is the other thing it's copying.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Was it true that NASA contacted JMS to ask about the Starfury, since it was apparently such a great design for a potential IRL starship?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Was it true that NASA contacted JMS to ask about the Starfury, since it was apparently such a great design for a potential IRL starship?

I have heard about this as well, JMS confirmed it in an interview, but I don't believe it actually went anywhere. Truthfully it is a ship that probably cannot actually exist in real life.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's a cool ship but there's nothing realistic about it so I can't imagine why NASA who makes actual spacecraft would think it could be any use to them. For instance there's essentially no room for fuel and no way to dissipate heat and whatever makes the power for it has to be incredibly compact and not put out any radiation.

If NASA wanted to make a combat spacecraft (for some reason) and needed help (for some reason) they should contact the Children of a Dead Earth guy who put together a physics simulation that models realistic near-future techs and figured out some approximation of what would actually work. Long and thin to keep the crew away from the nuclear reactor and nuclear rockets, glowing hot radiators that dissipate the megawatts of waste heat those things make, 50%+ of the mass and most of the internal volume devoted to fuel, and sloped armor wherever possible to maximize the effectiveness of the thin layers of aluminum or graphite that can be carried without annihilating what little fuel efficiency the ships have.

I think the aesthetic is loving badass but it probably wouldn't make for good TV or movies

edit: Here's my best custom ship using the stock modules (module design is pretty intense), the Crater-class Corvette, it has a pointed nose and square cross section to try to slope the armor on approaches and broadsides, and the armor configuration is okay but not as much as you might think since the graphite aerogel is only one step up from empty space, though it does protect against nuke flashes fairly well. It uses a fixed nuclear rocket for main thrust with resistojets that use the same water reaction mass for maneuvering, because that gives it a better turnabout than a gimballed rocket by about 10 seconds

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 14, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The “realism” part should be interpreted in the context of a mid-'90s off-brand-channel sci fi series. It was designed and made to do things that were rarely shown, if at all, anywhere else, such as giving a token consideration to thruster distribution (one in each corner), 6-DOF fighting (moving off-axis and rotating around itself to fire rather than being a space airplane), zero-g cockpit design (strapped in standing up because a chair would be a waste of everything, and also the cockpit is the escape mechanism), and the combined arms role of small ships screening for larger strikers.

It wasn't physically realistic so much as TV scifi realistic. :haw:

As for the NASA contact, iirc, it was more that JMS was an early and avid user of the internet to connect with fans, and unsurprisingly there were NASA people among those who, as it happened, were also avid usenet users. Combine the two, and at some point the phrase “hi, I'm with NASA and we love your designs because [see previous reasons]” is bound to come up.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The Spaceship designs of Terra Invicta is also pretty realistic (within the limitations and tech proposed in the game) The devs also let's you fit a hundred different engines to your ships from chemical rockets to the endgame anti matter drives and it's pretty mind boggling.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Neurophonic posted:

TOTK even features coloured bounce lighting on objects, fully dynamic shadow casting and volumetric interactive fog effects. It’s definitely limited by the hardware but holy poo poo are they pushing right up against it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLlZBwN_-C4

Nintendo generally makes good games and it’s amazing that they got it running on on the Switch at all. But man those visuals are rough… 720p to 900p native upscaled to 1080p via FSR, objects blurred out to a pixilated mess in the background, while still struggling to maintain 30fps.

I just wish I didn’t have to shackle myself to mobile hardware that was outdated 5 years ago and their lovely ecosystem just to play their games. I’ll probably wait to play this on an emulator someday.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm playing it now and it runs fine and looks great 99% of the time, but you do you I guess

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Drakkel posted:

Yeah but does ZELDA have deformable beds and hotdog vendors? CHECKMATE.

It does now!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sandweed posted:

The Spaceship designs of Terra Invicta is also pretty realistic (within the limitations and tech proposed in the game) The devs also let's you fit a hundred different engines to your ships from chemical rockets to the endgame anti matter drives and it's pretty mind boggling.

Iirc there's also tech trees or variants that explicitly aren't great or long term solutions for various reasons or end up as dead ends, but are good short term options to get ahead of the curve while you solve other issues

It's a neat game and I've been meaning to pick it up

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Terra Invicta is really great, and my favorite part other than that it has the "glowing radiators" aesthetic that I like, is that in spite of the aliens' ultratech they're bound by the same physical constraints as we are so their ships follow the same basic layouts. Aside from the Mothership hull type, their ships are all long and thin, with radiators and main engines at the back and attitude thrusters at both ends. Their ships maneuver in exactly the same way except that they start with high-power fusion engines that can fling their heavily armed and armored ships around effortlessly at several Gs with delta-Vs in the hundreds or thousands of kilometers per second... and you have to figure out how to beat them starting with 2022 technology.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want a space sim that is more like the Expanse. Stuck to one solar system is more in line with how real space travel is likely to work even into the far future.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

That's basically Children of a Dead Earth posted above. Combat is really close to The Expanse books.

It also has a hell of a learning curve.

The game hits home Alex Kamal was just short of superhuman.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To add to the list of space games

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...kWovEqNjMAkKMev

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I said come in! posted:

I want a space sim that is more like the Expanse. Stuck to one solar system is more in line with how real space travel is likely to work even into the far future.

NEBULOUS: Fleet Command

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hgvYs2GQ8

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Chronojam posted:

Iirc there's also tech trees or variants that explicitly aren't great or long term solutions for various reasons or end up as dead ends, but are good short term options to get ahead of the curve while you solve other issues

It's a neat game and I've been meaning to pick it up

The devs even put an entire weapons research tree in there that is a little bit better than what you have if you can unlock it early but its kinda bad even at midgame.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 14, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This one is more of an RTS, but I have it on my wishlist for when its out of early access. All of the cool space games coming out are all vastly superior to Star Citizen.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Babylon 5 is my entire personality. I love that show so much.

https://i.imgur.com/FFSu0PM.gifv

TonyMcS
Aug 31, 2018

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/babylon-5-reboot-happening.html

But will it happen before SC releases?

Almost certainly 🤪

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

It's a cool ship but there's nothing realistic about it so I can't imagine why NASA who makes actual spacecraft would think it could be any use to them. For instance there's essentially no room for fuel and no way to dissipate heat and whatever makes the power for it has to be incredibly compact and not put out any radiation.
]

Theres a strong tradition of scifi writers writing things and then engineers being inspired to make it a reality.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

colonelwest posted:

I’ll probably wait to play this on an emulator someday.

why wait?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aramoro posted:

Theres a strong tradition of scifi writers writing things and then engineers being inspired to make it a reality.

Okay, but it's not a good design for a real life spacecraft unless the laws of physics change.

That doesn't mean it isn't badass, that doesn't mean it's wrong to be inspired by how cool it looks on the screen - I love Babylon 5 too. You're just never going to build one (notice how the thing that came into real life out of Star Trek was not the warp drive or transporter or phasers but the much more attainable handheld communicator). And I don't think that's actually a problem, it's okay for fictional stuff to not be buildable in real life. People inspired by the Starfury (or X-wing, or Viper, or Rocinante, or Enterprise, or etc.) are going to probably go on to work on something a lot more like the Children of a Dead Earth spacecraft, if humans ever have the poor sense to build combat spacecraft in real life without aliens to fight.

Of course, it sounds like the actual story of some NASA people saying "it's cool that Babylon 5 shows off something resembling how things move in space" morphed into "scientists and engineers asking TV people for help to build a real spacecraft" though

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 15, 2023

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Larz posted:

I swear he does this on purpose, like some kind of performance art.

That would explain the "Skyrim V"

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

RuckusRouser posted:

That would explain the "Skyrim V"

Has nobody on those boards tried to correct him? Or can nobody ever get far enough into his posts to see where he actually mentions it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I said come in! posted:

This one is more of an RTS, but I have it on my wishlist for when its out of early access. All of the cool space games coming out are all vastly superior to Star Citizen.

I play it right now! Game good even in early access.

I reckon that any realistic "Expanse-like" space game is going to seem like an RTS even if it's realtime because space is so god damned big and your firing window is so short that you're just programming computers to shoot for you in between engagements.

Big starships only shoot at eachother within visual range in frou-frou science fantasy like Star Trek.

And I said
Bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish
That's the way we do things, lad, we're making poo poo up as we wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhAq3F8NCE

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 15, 2023