Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Abigail Thorn: Here's a small primer on stoicism, and how it can both adapt and non adapt to the real world, with an ending that has some really close and touching conclusions to both my life and this endeavor I'm ta-

Me: Oooooh Does that Hbomberguy gag mean he's doing something about game dificulity next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Paingod556 posted:

I was just too old for Wiggles when they first came put, so the only thing I remember from that period is every woman over 30 thirsting for Cap'n Feathersword.

'He can shiver my timbers anytime' is burned into my brain.

I was expecting something related to that during the video, just from how Feathersword was introduced at the parks in his script.

I went to a Backstreet Boys concert about a decade a go and heard things yelled by 30-something year old women that made me genuinely fear for the Backstreet Boys safety, and in the context of those adults only bar shows The Wiggles did two years ago I am now afraid for Captain Feathersword.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Lindsey Ellis posted a new Nebula exclusive about Guy Fieri. Great video, features some other Youtubers, including some guy whose face I don't quite recognize...:confuoot:

It's fantastic they've found a way to work without constant harassment from dipshits. It's a little depressing though that the secret is charging :10bux:.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

50 bux a year is good as a bulk deal, like if you really like the extended Jacob Geller, her, BigJoel and a few others its akin to following a dollar a month patreon feed (that can't be easily scrapped).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bug Squash posted:

It's fantastic they've found a way to work without constant harassment from dipshits. It's a little depressing though that the secret is charging :10bux:.

A secret lowtax learned a long time ago (may he rest in piss)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

A secret lowtax learned a long time ago (may he rest in piss)

Piss be upon him

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I knew this was going to be a dumpster fire when he used clips of random people in cosplay in the first few seconds to illustrate this supposed “Infantilization”. Yeah just demonize people for having fun in a way you disapprove of while you shill for a sleazy business that sells people's medical information to advertisers and steals the identities of real therapists to funnel patients to their service.

And having watched the whole thing I’m left with the question of what hobbies this guy doesn’t consider childish. Because apparently the term encompasses everything from the traditional punching bags like comic books and video games, all the way to watching movies about child characters, or playing the saxophone when you’re a public figure, or wearing shirts without buttons (???).

He drapes it around some valid points about millennials being in a bad state financially, and political discourse becoming more reliant on flinging soundbites back and forth, but he doesn’t even remotely manage to connect that to the harmless pop-culture stuff. He goes into it with the basic assumption that certain things he disapproves of are childish, and that more people nowadays are engaging in these activities than previous generations, and without offering any real evidence for either of those points tries to build his argument from there. And while he may state that boomers are to blame for it all he clearly implies that the kids with their drat brightly-painted rooms and cat videos are also complicit.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Probably not a lot of people here watch those but I have been a follower of the worth it series on buzz feed, and was disappointed but understanding that the whole series ended after 12 seasons last month. Just received a message from its current channel About To Eat (a buzz feed subsidiary) is indefinitely halting all content after that last worth it episode, which means I guess that show had been the thing keeping them afloat. Won't be surprised if the whole series may just disappear from youtube one day

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kunster posted:

Abigail Thorn: Here's a small primer on stoicism, and how it can both adapt and non adapt to the real world, with an ending that has some really close and touching conclusions to both my life and this endeavor I'm ta-

Me: Oooooh Does that Hbomberguy gag mean he's doing something about game dificulity next?

What I noticed is that they used One Night in Neo Kobe from Snatcher for that cameo.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Probably not a lot of people here watch those but I have been a follower of the worth it series on buzz feed, and was disappointed but understanding that the whole series ended after 12 seasons last month. Just received a message from its current channel About To Eat (a buzz feed subsidiary) is indefinitely halting all content after that last worth it episode, which means I guess that show had been the thing keeping them afloat. Won't be surprised if the whole series may just disappear from youtube one day

I absolutely adore that series, and did a big rewatch that happened to coincide with the final season announcement. I never kept up with anything else on About to Eat, but was super bummed to hear that Worth It was ending. It's so chill and wholesome and just cozy to watch, the hosts & crew really put together a perfect show :sigh:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

What I noticed is that they used One Night in Neo Kobe from Snatcher for that cameo.

It's a bop! Since that's also the Chicken Hat you wear on the easy mode, connection make sense.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Lindsey Ellis posted a new Nebula exclusive about Guy Fieri. Great video, features some other Youtubers, including some guy whose face I don't quite recognize...:confuoot:

It's so obvious in hindsight but I somehow never considered until now the similarities between Guy Fieri and Dolly Parton, right down to the reappraisal of their reputations happening around the same time.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Pachylad posted:

It's so obvious in hindsight but I somehow never considered until now the similarities between Guy Fieri and Dolly Parton, right down to the reappraisal of their reputations happening around the same time.

I really liked that, too! It's a really great comparison. Growing up I had no idea Dolly Parton was a singer because I only ever heard her name as a punchline

Bug Squash posted:

After everything Lindsey's been through I don't blame her.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bug Squash posted:

Always has been.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmO2cdTU7EM

I have no idea who that is, but the THE ALgorItHM showed it to me.

He explains a bug in Quake 3 by explaining what the code is doing. It is really well done.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bakeneko posted:

He drapes it around some valid points about millennials being in a bad state financially, and political discourse becoming more reliant on flinging soundbites back and forth, but he doesn’t even remotely manage to connect that to the harmless pop-culture stuff. He goes into it with the basic assumption that certain things he disapproves of are childish, and that more people nowadays are engaging in these activities than previous generations, and without offering any real evidence for either of those points tries to build his argument from there. And while he may state that boomers are to blame for it all he clearly implies that the kids with their drat brightly-painted rooms and cat videos are also complicit.

I don't know how you didn't catch this, but he mentions how because of the current financial situation people are being driven into childish hobbies and mindsets as a way to escape real life pressures. And companies are cultivating the worst traits of this escapism in order to sell more poo poo, which totally checks out if you take a look at Funko hoarders and the metric fuckton of adults buying merch based off of stuff they enjoyed as kids. He ends the video on the note of you don't have to change yourself, just be more aware of when you're being talked down to and who benefits from treating you like a kid. Which are corporations :capitalism:.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Gabi Belle talks about Indiana Jones's hat and the extremes fans have gone to to document and reproduce it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZEBekXS8jE

Atun-Shei talks about the history of Absinthe and New Orleans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_RfoRXJXLI

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grondoth posted:

The level of wiggling was simply unsustainable.

Also

That's loving weird, right? Defunctland talked about the wiggles for a little bit, enough to understand the phenomenon and the history required for the ride's context. Why would Quinton just go "well what the gently caress else is there" after he spent a couple years getting stuff to make a video on them?

all quinton does anymore is just explain what something is and what happened over the course of 27 hours, defunctland explained the basic arc of the band and what happened over the course of 30 minutes. its not like quinton provides any insight or commentary.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
spending hundreds of dollars on wiggles merchandise only to give up on my 40 hour documentary because the theme park guy made a 30 minute video covering a wiggles theme park ride

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think he got those things bc of a video.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
im going to kick his rear end

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CelticPredator posted:

He literally says that's why. I don't think anything has made me consider the man to be hollowed out by the algorithm more than "I spent years putting down actual money on this and now a guy scooped me so I give up instantly".

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1656679052273676291

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This should be a wakeup call to him, it will not be

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

If he didn't literally say so, I wouldn't have even thought about it. I actually had to read it several times before I realized what he was saying, I at first took it as a joke. Like, "oh, Defunctland mentioned The Wiggles? Funny that, I've got all this WIGGLES merch just SITTING around!"

But no, his tweet says that he got all that stuff to do something and now he's not gonna do it. That's so strange.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Wiggles were world famous for like a decade. It’s not like he would have been exposing a totally unknown pop-culture obscurity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think he’s lying and he got that stuff because he keeps holding on to the weird things in your childhood that don’t age super well or grow with you

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Did he ever once consider that Defunctland's video might make people more interested in his vid?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I honestly think it's an interest check to see if people would want his produced wiggle content and showing off his purchased merchandise is to present what he will feature.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

SovietWomble, who make Bullshittery videos, has done a video essay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUWg905fGTA

I'm loving speechless.

this was awesome and my first video of his. I love survival horror games but I hate playing them so something like this is right up my alley

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
*Quinton looks downwards and slightly to the side, deflated and morose*

*and surrounded by Wiggles merch*

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's such a weird mentality because both defunctland and yesterworld have covered the exact same subjects constantly and neither renders the other obsolete.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I don't think it matters that much.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i actually dont think im gonna watch hours of footage about this lovely rear end loving band gen x parents inflicted millenials with. instead i am going to watch cool things. like IZWF. AEW. steph curry highlight reels. things we all love

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Archer666 posted:

I don't know how you didn't catch this, but he mentions how because of the current financial situation people are being driven into childish hobbies and mindsets as a way to escape real life pressures. And companies are cultivating the worst traits of this escapism in order to sell more poo poo, which totally checks out if you take a look at Funko hoarders and the metric fuckton of adults buying merch based off of stuff they enjoyed as kids. He ends the video on the note of you don't have to change yourself, just be more aware of when you're being talked down to and who benefits from treating you like a kid. Which are corporations :capitalism:.

Oh I know what he was trying to say, I just think his argument was full of holes. He has no real definition of “childish”, basing it entirely on whatever he happens to think is silly or uncool, and he doesn’t manage to show that these so-called childish things are a modern phenomenon, and that all previous generations didn’t have their equivalent interests.

Yeah, companies play to people’s sense of nostalgia and escapism in order to sell merch but that doesn’t mean either of those things are by themselves childish or unique to millennials, or that this is connected to the other random stuff he complains about like cat videos and shirts without buttons and brightly-painted bedrooms. Regardless of what he’s directly stating, there’s a not-so-subtle implication throughout the video that ordinary people are partly to blame for having interests or tastes that he considers silly.

And he does this complaining about predatory corporations while advertising loving Betterhelp, of all things :ironicat:.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stunted childish generation. Previous generations knew how to deal with bad financial situations in a mature and adult manner: substance abuse and dying.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

jackofarcades posted:

this was awesome and my first video of his. I love survival horror games but I hate playing them so something like this is right up my alley

Having your introduction to SovietWomble be his serious essay instead of his random bullshittery series must be wild.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

Oh I know what he was trying to say, I just think his argument was full of holes. He has no real definition of “childish”, basing it entirely on whatever he happens to think is silly or uncool, and he doesn’t manage to show that these so-called childish things are a modern phenomenon, and that all previous generations didn’t have their equivalent interests.

Yeah, companies play to people’s sense of nostalgia and escapism in order to sell merch but that doesn’t mean either of those things are by themselves childish or unique to millennials, or that this is connected to the other random stuff he complains about like cat videos and shirts without buttons and brightly-painted bedrooms. Regardless of what he’s directly stating, there’s a not-so-subtle implication throughout the video that ordinary people are partly to blame for having interests or tastes that he considers silly.

And he does this complaining about predatory corporations while advertising loving Betterhelp, of all things :ironicat:.

Kinda talking out of my rear end here but every generation's just gonna get more and more childish as time goes on. Now with Amazon and the internet being better than it used to be, you can get mechandise of whatever the gently caress you like. You like Art? Have a poseable Scream or The Thinker or Davide di Michelangelo.

A lot of games are coming with statues of some kind when you buy the collector's edition, or something. Yakuza 6 had bar glasses and ice stones and Doom Eternal came with a helmet. Or people'll just keep doing what they have been and stick a big Middle Earth or Game of Thrones or Witcher Map framed on their wall. I guess be as close to having a house that looks as close to Patrick Bateman's is the goal instead?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
poo poo, actually look at what your own parents or grandparents do with their leisure time, especially once they retire.

I dunno about you but my grandpa basically watches sports (particularly baseball and football), westerns and Fox News.
Or put another way, sports he played in his youth, a genre of movie that was immensely popular when he was growing up, and a news outlet that tells him what he wants to hear all day.
It’s all deeply rooted in nostalgia! But because it’s stuff his or his parents generation do, it’s coded as socially acceptable and ‘adult’.

When people make these arguments about millennials being childish for liking cartoons or video games or genre fiction, it’s mostly because there’s not been that same drive to declare “this is ACTUALLY the domain of adults”, and more pushback against the weirdos who do say that. In its place there’s more people making the argument I am here: no poo poo it’s stuff for children, but that doesn’t MEAN anything. Anyone can enjoy it as long as they aren’t trying to take it away from children.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh God I was looking at this big discussion without even clicking the video, thinking "Is this... Wisecrack. It sure sounds like their kind of stupid poo poo to say" and sure enough I was right about it.

On another argument, I'd say that we do have a pretty good example of "Should other people cover the same stuff others did before" on our thread because for nearly 15 years, you could call Research Indicates's LP of Trespasser the best video there is of the game, but KJ builds on the whole thing in such a way that it surpasses it, with the help of research and development done after that lp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Bakeneko posted:

Honestly I don't think he's even making an argument, he's making content. There's no cogent point, no insight, because the goal is just to poo poo out a video that pushes a few buttons to get people to watch and push a garbage sponsorship or two.