Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/tprstly/status/1657282502669611010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Once I realized the LLMs were happily giving out legal and medical advice I figured a slew of lawsuits were inevitable. Copyright is even more blatantly obvious. Law firms and plaintiffs are going to have a field day digging for stolen content.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Vox Nihili posted:

Once I realized the LLMs were happily giving out legal and medical advice I figured a slew of lawsuits were inevitable. Copyright is even more blatantly obvious. Law firms and plaintiffs are going to have a field day digging for stolen content.

on that note:
https://github.com/thestephencasper/sd_cycle_consistency

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
so what are some examples of shrinkflation that everyone has been noticing?

ive been one of the bigger trader joes proponents but they're undergoing subflation, or substitute inflation. almost all their frozen meat products are loving gnarly now, like orange chicken, pepperoni pizza, etc, while also costing a buck extra. highly recommend sticking to vegan/vegetarian diet there.

costco has, of course, been removing the more bulk budget-friendly options and replacing them with vastly smaller single-item foofoo 'organic' stuff for 2x the price

some fun ones ive found:

(was 20lbs)

(BIGGER IS BETTER, wait...)

(used to be 24 lol)

man, not even 1-penny frozen high fructose corn syrup sticks are safe. things must be dire in america if hfcs+water is too expensive

tfw sale price means you spend more, good strategy, most americans are too dumb to notice

mar 2020 poo poo paper shortages never ended, smdh

e: going to add subsequent two posts for a one-stop-shop of shrinkflation:
Some more fun shrinkflations:

mcdonalds chicken nuggets... chicken disks

chipotle burrito, now with less food poisoning

shrinkflation masquerading as QA problems

same loads! less weight. and people are still going to fill up to the line

need more fiber

same number of crackers on the box, but thinner. smart

cereal seems to be the most egregiously lol because they often have old stock right there. imo americans shouldn't eat cereal so really, nestle/kellogs/etc is doing americans a big favor by giving them 50% less for +50% price.

drat a 2x4 is smaller than my dick now.

lol i dont even have words for this. rube-goldberg machination to hide how small it is lol

taking away 50 ml but giving you back +25ml! wow! what a deal. b u y
----

lol just blatantly lying on the weight of meat now. technically illegal but hahahahaha this is america bitch

breyers changed from "ice cream" to "frozen desert treat" a few years ago and is total dogshit terrible, the worst ice cream frozen dairy treat ever.

engineering bottles to look taller ftw

shrinkflation masquerading as QA issues

now 30% less calories per package!!

$9 for a 6" subway sandwhich of gristle and floor meat. anyone still eating subway deserves their overpriced gristle slop

gatorade now 28 oz from 32 oz for +15% more. hell yeah

i was gunna make a snarky comment that notice how most shrinkflation is mass-produced consumer junk walmart food slop??? but it's really also just everything so i can't even make that comment.

not even scotts rear end-sandpaper chafer-supreme is safe

now with 15% more water. cant even trust the same jar anymore smdh

pillsbury toaster strudels so small they cant even fit in a toaster anymore and get lost like a sock in a dryer

bankers dozen

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:55 on May 17, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

yeah you're right. lol my bad. i didnt read the thread but i forgot about that. that was stupid to say

some dick wolff being right: anti-china perverts are always lying
https://twitter.com/profwolff/status/1656698177951596546

statisticians don't lie. :colbert:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
china watchers told me having the largest ever trade surplus means immediate collapse, actually

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

china watchers told me having the largest ever trade surplus means immediate collapse, actually

Yeah, China's total balance of trade has been growing more not less in their favor since 2022 even with swelling imports.

---------

Granted, I think Trader Joes has shrinkflation for years. Their pre-made salad's many moons ago had a ton of protein in them and were fairly price and now you are paying 6.00+ dollars (probably higher, its been a while) for lettuce. It is one of those stores people want to like even though a lot of their good actually kind of suck and/or are just overpriced.

Honestly, the only way to shop at this point is to try to find some regional chain like Winco that always has had rock bottom prices or go to stores that service immigrant communities.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Xaris posted:

shrinkflation

and this is what it looks like on the balance sheets

https://twitter.com/isabellamweber/status/1657500107825184770

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look folks if you don't like shrinflation just make and sell your own giant sized high quality food bundles and sell them for a buck.

In the meantime enjoy your evening main course of a single lettuce leaf between two rice crackers.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

lol thats freaking crazy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to deploy dynamic smart shrinkflation.

As the monetary supply expands through rampant inflation a fleet of robots will roll around the super market using large shears and heat guns to chop off & re-seal 10% of each package every time the inflation rate goes up by the same, whether monthly or weekly.

In phase 2 of my plan the robot fleet will snatch the burger straight from your mouth, remove a quarter using precision cutting tools then return the remainder to you.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this "economy" loving sucks poo poo and im BROKE AS gently caress

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good news!

https://www.theirishstory.com/2016/10/18/the-great-irish-famine-1845-1851-a-brief-overview/#.ZGCeF3ZBzo8

History goes in circles which means its never too late to make number happy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The "may be transitory" in that abstract is hilarious, were workers suppose to just hold on after the cost of essential goods had skyrocketed?

I think you could argue that there was some price inflation during COVID because of the situation at hand by late 2021, this really wasn't the main issue as savings was already being drained at that point. The rise of energy prices was a whole separate issue and at the same time corporations didn't just want to break even with wholesale prices but naturally used their market power to raise prices even higher and eventually workers had to do something if they wanted to ever eat again.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

my captain obvious paper that 100% leads to zero useful public policy improvements is good

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Liberal Government cancelled the soup kitchen aid programme at the height of the famine and discontinued direct financial aid from the London government.

I'm not saying people who rely on welfare should panic, I'm just saying there is precedent.

15% of the population died btw. (game show jingle) This could be yooouuuuu.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Palladium posted:

my captain obvious paper that 100% leads to zero useful public policy improvements is good

reading that abstract got me so loving pissed off lmfao. gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SilingWu/status/1657406911430418433?t=MogEnizVQVFysf-ZKfTD_A&s=19

DEDOLLARIZATION!!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Thailand is a pretty big catch considering they have been semi-neutral in much of the geopolitical events of recent years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Thailand is a pretty big catch considering they have been semi-neutral in much of the geopolitical events of recent years.

The USA has been trying pretty hard to flip Thailand too. Must have sent the B-team.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris posted:

It's hard to tell for me, but I guess that's just the point. Less food, more trips to the store, more money spent. I remember seeing JIF peanut butter at Safeway for $9. Prices are insane.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

ive been one of the bigger trader joes proponents but they're undergoing subflation, or substitute inflation. almost all their frozen meat products are loving gnarly now, like orange chicken, pepperoni pizza, etc, while also costing a buck extra. highly recommend sticking to vegan/vegetarian diet there.

costco has, of course, been removing the more bulk budget-friendly options and replacing them with vastly smaller single-item foofoo 'organic' stuff for 2x the price

some fun ones ive found:

(was 20lbs)

(BIGGER IS BETTER, wait...)

(used to be 24 lol)

man, not even 1-penny frozen high fructose corn syrup sticks are safe. things must be dire in america if hfcs+water is too expensive

tfw sale price means you spend more, good strategy, most americans are too dumb to notice

mar 2020 poo poo paper shortages never ended, smdh

Goddamn that is brutal.

Any shrinkflation among Costco/Kirkland products? I always buy the gigantic gently caress-off boxes of stuff but I don't really pay attention to the total volume.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

The USA has been trying pretty hard to flip Thailand too. Must have sent the B-team.
All we got are second stringers now

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

cool av posted:

most interesting thing about this is the single like and 0 replies to what is presumably an official NYT account tweet what an absolutely dead platform lmao

NYT twitter is just like that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Legacy media is getting upwards of 80% of their funding via government sources just to keep the lights on and repeat The Narrative. It'll continue so long as there are no metrics to measure how much result the money gets. In the meantime some people who work in those legacy institutions may have a misplaced sense of self worth and importance. Still, zero engagement is pretty funny. Not even a handful of bots to play make believe with.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

cool av posted:

most interesting thing about this is the single like and 0 replies to what is presumably an official NYT account tweet what an absolutely dead platform lmao

:sad:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hey consumer spending is up for some reason...that is good right?

But yeah something like shrinkflation is a little difficult to capture in statistics as total consumption may be shrinking, but it is only partially capture higher prices. In the US, someone may try to make the argument that this is a good thing (in terms of food) because how many calories people eat, but it is probably going to meat less consumption of fruits, vegetables, and proteins, and more consumption of sugars and processed foods because people need something in them.

The cheapest way to consume calories, in the US specifically, quickly is usually through sugars.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:29 on May 14, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

increasing prices on falling volume for food seems like something the government should address

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Palladium posted:

key to success for academics in social sciences: describe social ills with great precision and gravity, raise moral concerns, and don't recommend anything that would threaten your grants, postivive news coverage, publishing deals, or tenure track

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

euphronius posted:

increasing prices on falling volume for food seems like something the government should address

It's good, actually. Good for number.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Xaris posted:

some fun ones ive found:

This is more hosed up than anything Verhoeven could have imagined.

e: that pringles one is blowing my mind. Wasting extra material (cheaper by volume than chips, apparently) just to dupe your customers into thinking they're getting more. This isn't legit business, it's a con. Those chips now take up more space on a truck, which means more trucks to ship the same number of chips, which means more gas, more road wear, longer truck driver hours....

Gorson has issued a correction as of 13:13 on May 14, 2023

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Ardennes posted:

Hey consumer spending is up for some reason...that is good right?

But yeah something like shrinkflation is a little difficult to capture in statistics as total consumption may be shrinking, but it is only partially capture higher prices. In the US, someone may try to make the argument that this is a good thing (in terms of food) because how many calories people eat, but it is probably going to meat less consumption of fruits, vegetables, and proteins, and more consumption of sugars and processed foods because people need something in them.

The cheapest way to consume calories, in the US specifically, quickly is usually through sugars.

Shrinkflation affects processed/prepared foods not fresh foodstuffs sold by weight. Those just get more expensive FTW

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Gorson posted:

e: that pringles one is blowing my mind. Wasting extra material (cheaper by volume than chips, apparently) just to dupe your customers into thinking they're getting more. This isn't legit business, it's a con. Those chips now take up more space on a truck, which means more trucks to ship the same number of chips, which means more gas, more road wear, longer truck driver hours....

That probably has something to do with potato crops being low the last couple of years. No potatoes means no leftover potato starch to make Pringles. Or whatever those things are made of.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Boy it sure looks like the insane Russian sanctions backfired.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Gorson posted:

could be all their fabrication machines aren't adjustable to shorten the container. that said, just sell less containers and fill them to the top

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Malleum posted:

isnt the front row the one that all the diehard film fans love sitting in? has every movie theater preroll been lying to me this entire time

front row is the best

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Palladium posted:

she's an interesting economist (her book about Deng's reforms is pretty good). don't have that many around

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only country in the world i ever came across the odd number of gum in a packet is the USA, which is sure means something but i’m not sure what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, the only way to shop at this point is to try to find some regional chain like Winco that always has had rock bottom prices or go to stores that service immigrant communities.

Just gonna keep reposting this

If they can't raise prices (because the customers are loving broke) then they just degrade poo poo in other ways. And for some reason they cannot mark it as such on the Googs.