Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

luminalflux posted:

It’s good but Chipotle Cholula is better

This is the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1656376934996099072

she clearly had a stroke

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve had shingles in the eye. It looks a bit like that. It’s the worst thing in the world. Feels like your eye is about to explode. This is an unusually long recovery period, though.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vegetable posted:

I’ve had shingles in the eye. It looks a bit like that. It’s the worst thing in the world. Feels like your eye is about to explode. This is an unusually long recovery period, though.

are you a thousand year old supporter of the confederacy?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
thats a stroke op

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I’m not exaggerating when I say that both eyes look equally bad in different ways, so I can’t begin to guess which one had shingles

Did the side of her mouth also get shingles?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm looking forward to having her steady hand back on the tiller of the ship of democracy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I’m not exaggerating when I say that both eyes look equally bad in different ways, so I can’t begin to guess which one had shingles

Did the side of her mouth also get shingles?

Shingles can effect one side of the face yes.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

quote:

“There has been no slowdown,” Feinstein wrote in a statement last week. “I’m confident that when I return to the Senate, we will be able to move the remaining qualified nominees out of committee quickly and to the Senate floor for a vote.”

She is just awful.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I wonder if we can ever get to the point where instead of electing people to positions, we just use AIs. The code and training models will be open source.

The AI reads every bill up for a vote and summarizes it into a page. There can be three modes by which people vote.

The first mode is that every citizen gets presented a summary of each individual bill, and can vote yea or nay.

Some people may simply not want to vote on every bill, so the second mode is that they tell their general opinions about different issues to the AI. Before voting, the AI sends them a digest of all the bills they're voting on and the voter can choose to review its decisions and the voter's approval or disapproval is used for fine-tuning future decisions.

The third mode is a mixture of the other two, where someone can choose to review all bills on a specific topic and default to the AI for everything else. Maybe you really want to manually review and vote on environmental bills but don't care about kidney dialysis. If you regularly review and vote on bills in a specific area, you can be noted as an expert and other voters can also choose to go with your decisions.

E: ironically I think this would converge back to a representative democracy, as people defer decision making to authorities, but the difference of this system is that representatives are chosen and eliminated much more easily and quickly.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 12, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

there's a lot that I could say about this (novel ways of doing stuff are always great avenues for misinformation) but the idea of a centrally controlled AI which learns from your voting patterns is one that must be trained on your past preferences, from which people could reasonably derive the trends of your voting history.

Keeping your actual vote anonymous is essential to running elections with less fear of coercion or retaliation.

The alternative, of course, is a popular app that people just keep on their phones (or print out and carry on voting day but can keel their choices secret) and can keep their likely voting decisions private.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

America Inc. posted:

The AI reads every bill up for a vote and summarizes it into a page. There can be three modes by which people vote.

Rephrase that to "your AI" and we're on to something.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Yeah the more I think about it the less I like the idea of an AI making decisions for you. Perhaps the AI would be more of an assistant that summarizes bills and provides explanations and context.

The broader idea is to do away with voting in people every few years or so and to instead have a system where people are continually choosing their representatives (if they choose to have someone represent them) and they can be recalled at any time.

Then you have the separate issue of who is proposing the bills in the first place and lobbying for them.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

America Inc. posted:

I wonder if we can ever get to the point where instead of electing people to positions, we just use AIs. The code and training models will be open source.

The first mode is that every citizen gets presented a summary of each individual bill, and can vote yea or nay.

Some people may simply not want to vote on every bill, so the second mode is that they tell their general opinions about different issues to the AI. Before voting, the AI sends them a digest of all the bills they're voting on and the voter can choose to review its decisions and the voter's approval or disapproval is used for fine-tuning future decisions.

The third mode is a mixture of the other two, where someone can choose to review all bills on a specific topic and default to the AI for everything else. Maybe you really want to manually review and vote on environmental bills but don't care about kidney dialysis. If you regularly review and vote on bills in a specific area, you can be noted as an expert and other voters can also choose to go with your decisions.

E: ironically I think this would converge back to a representative democracy, as people defer decision making to authorities, but the difference of this system is that representatives are chosen and eliminated much more easily and quickly.

This sounds like something a 12 year old would come up with for social studies

B-

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
"AI" is text prediction engine like autocomplete, that fully depends on underpaid human beings for everything it does.

It's not actually AI. But boy are people eager to condede their entire lives to an idea from techbros.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

America Inc. posted:

We already have this with the proposition system pretty much. Advertising and Social Media (the other advertising) will dictate how the majority of the votes are done. Corrupt politicians are bad, but as we found out advertising and direct democracy on an untrained voter is worse. I suppose the only advantage here is the bills won't be cemented in place like propositions are. How many people actually read the proposition summaries currently? Those are less than a page and often go unread.

Further, I have a lot of complaints about our state government, but the committee process is not one of them (Well, I have complaints there too, but only because they're not as thorough as they could be). Sometimes the committee process results in bullshit, but many times it helps shape bills to be better based on feedback from various groups.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if "AI Assistants" are eventually developed in the private market for elected representatives. Tools that can summarize feedback, pools, opinions, and create highlights along with drawing scores to further influence decisions in voting for various legislation. I'd say the parties are probably working on this, but the more I think about it why would they give up their power and coercion to an AI? They'd embrace the current systems; if anything they'd only develop analytical AI at the top level and keep such out of reach of elected party members.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 12, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

AI is fake, OP.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

whats the ai equivalent of "there is no cloud, it's just someone else's computer"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Remember how we were going to have real self-driving cars by 2018? Uber remembers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ranter posted:

Remember how we were going to have real self-driving cars by 2018? Uber remembers.

Why can't the techbro dorks in Silicon Valley invent self-delivering burritos?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen the delivery robots in soma in a few years.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why can't the techbro dorks in Silicon Valley invent self-delivering burritos?

Introducing soylent, now available with authentic burrito flavor

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jokes posted:

They should remove all identifying characteristics from political candidates.

Democrat and Republican are technically identifying characteristics

OMGVBFLOL posted:

whats the ai equivalent of "there is no cloud, it's just someone else's computer"

There is no AI, it's just someone else's homework

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Democrat and Republican are technically identifying characteristics

All elections should be decided based on:

Burrito preference
1d6 dice roll
Vibe Check

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

BeAuMaN posted:

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if "AI Assistants" are eventually developed in the private market for elected representatives. Tools that can summarize feedback, pools, opinions, and create highlights along with drawing scores to further influence decisions in voting for various legislation. I'd say the parties are probably working on this, but the more I think about it why would they give up their power and coercion to an AI? They'd embrace the current systems; if anything they'd only develop analytical AI at the top level and keep such out of reach of elected party members.

This is a hilariously bad idea since the force or law and it’s exact meaning often turn on the usage of a small set of specific words (“may” vs “shall”).

A summary of a law is as good as dogshit because whether it explodes in your face or not is dependent on extremely specific wording.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

jokes posted:

All elections should be decided based on:

Burrito preference
1d6 dice roll
Vibe Check

I'm running on the mandatory pineapple on Al Pastor tacos platform

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

America Inc. posted:

This is literally a world-building data point in Helldivers, the game where mankind wages an endless imperialistic campaign of expansion in WH30k amor suits.

Managed Democracy, they call it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FilthyImp posted:

This is literally a world-building data point in Helldivers, the game where mankind wages an endless imperialistic campaign of expansion in WH30k amor suits.

Managed Democracy, they call it.

Democracy As a Thank You For Your Service

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

El Mero Mero posted:

This is a hilariously bad idea since the force or law and it’s exact meaning often turn on the usage of a small set of specific words (“may” vs “shall”).

A summary of a law is as good as dogshit because whether it explodes in your face or not is dependent on extremely specific wording.

yeah; the kind of legal clerking they're describing is extremely advanced stuff. natural, meat-based intelligences go through decades of education to even begin to be able to do it, and it's a lifelong practice they never perfect. ai can't even drive a car without crashing, something that takes a couple hundred hours of instruction and practice for even the most inept morons

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Its funny about AI and law when iditos computer engineers assume that law and legal principles are actually what they say they are. The actual realization is that governance and legality is a form of calvinball for the whims of the powerful. You need only watch the supreme court pervert the legal process to deny someone their rights or to pile on hypocrisy to protect the status quo. Saying that you can use these processes to subvert this and bring equality to the masses must be the greatest form of naivete, or the rankest form of political subservience, knowingly entrenching power in the hands of the rich while saying the opposite.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rolling Stone has an in-depth on Feinstein's dementia.

quote:

One person who did not want to be named recounted Feinstein asking a staffer for a memo, then responding with bewilderment when the memo was turned in the next day. These issues are longstanding: last summer, almost a year ago, one person who had worked with her and asked not to be named said “her days are all bad days now.” Feinstein’s acuity gets worse as the day goes on, multiple people told Rolling Stone, and staff have long tried to avoid her having any engagements after mid-afternoon.

Purley said Feinstein’s office began noticeably restructuring around her mental limitations in 2019. He said that year formerly large staff meetings were cut down to only senior staff and people working on legislative issues. “Junior staff were making jokes about her cognitive decline. Interns were noticing it,” he said.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She's functionally a potate after 1pm but man, from 4-8 she can pretty much potty by herself!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

See also

quote:

Multiple sources tell Rolling Stone that in recent years Feinstein’s office had an on-call system — unbeknownst to Feinstein herself — to prevent the senator from ever walking around the Capitol on her own. At any given moment there was a staff member ready to jump up and stroll alongside the senator if she left her office, worried about what she’d say to reporters if left unsupervised. The system has been in place for years.

“They will not let her leave by herself, but she doesn’t even know it,” says Jamarcus Purley, a former staffer.
I hated this when Thurmond was propped up while senile, and I don't hate it any less when a Democrat is.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I'm no fan of Feinstein but this is elder abuse.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

First of May posted:

Yeah it's just really sad and frightening, as pretty much all dementia/alzheimer's/etc is. Feinstein is a terrible person with terrible opinions who's done terrible things but those are just more reasons she should be out of the halls of power, not justifications for her to be marionetted around by staff.

It's loving stupid too because Feinstein not being around has actively hosed over the Dems' nomination agenda and it's not like she's senator for some conservative shithole state with an R governor who would gleefully replace her with somebody from the GOP: she's from loving California and after the Padilla poo poo he will parachute in whoever the party wants to replace her. I honestly do not understand why there hasn't been a more concerted effort from the party itself to dislodge Feinstein, it's not like they haven't locked ranks to force one of their own to resign before. Maybe it would have been a difficult prospect a decade ago when Feinstein was one of the primary power brokers of the DNC but now I cannot imagine somebody who by all accounts is functionally a vegetable by midday would be able to put up much of a fight.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

First of May posted:

Same except "and" instead of "but"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sydin posted:

I honestly do not understand why there hasn't been a more concerted effort from the party itself to dislodge Feinstein, it's not like they haven't locked ranks to force one of their own to resign before.
Seniority. Precious precious seniority. She's 3rd in the Senate overall.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Seniority. Precious precious seniority. She's 3rd in the Senate overall.

What does that mean, functionally? What does seniority specifically get you in this regard?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
iirc committee-related poo poo

real useful when you can't show up to those committees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
And yet people vote for her