Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Philippe posted:

It's really distracting to watch a movie and hear a stock sound effect like helicopter.wav

There's a shitload of these stock sound effects that get used over and over in videogames and TV shows and movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-HUM65Wwig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm always torn when I hear the Wilhelm scream. Sometimes it's brilliant homage. Sometimes you're like, really?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hyperlynx posted:

The "ribbit" sound of frogs is only the cry of one very specific kind of frog that you find around Hollywood. Different species make all kinds of noises, which sound nothing like movie frogs

The same is true of movie birds too!

The raptor/eagle scream is the cry of a red-tailed hawk, and only a red-tailed hawk. Other raptors have very different cries. Bald eagles sound more like sea gulls than proper large raptors.

The generic owl hoot is only made by the great horned owl. Other species of owl make very different noises.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

The same is true of movie birds too!

The raptor/eagle scream is the cry of a red-tailed hawk, and only a red-tailed hawk. Other raptors have very different cries. Bald eagles sound more like sea gulls than proper large raptors.

The generic owl hoot is only made by the great horned owl. Other species of owl make very different noises.

I gotta say though, red-tailed hawks live in my neighborhood and it's pretty cool to hear them.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I'm always torn when I hear the Wilhelm scream. Sometimes it's brilliant homage. Sometimes you're like, really?

A little while ago, somone found the complete recording session for the Whilhelm scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hE7dXLhcE

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I gotta say though, red-tailed hawks live in my neighborhood and it's pretty cool to hear them.

Oh definitely! We have a mated pair living at our apartment complex and we see (and hear!) them quite often. :) We love them.

I've heard great horned owls too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Philippe posted:

It's really distracting to watch a movie and hear a stock sound effect like helicopter.wav
Oh, yeah. I've been rewatching some Silent Hill LPs with my kid and now I keep hearing the door-open and door-close SFX in various TV shows.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Silver Falcon posted:

The bald eagle one was especially weird to find out, because there was one vacation as a kid where we were out in the wilderness watching some eagles around their nest, and I specifically remember hearing that classic screech. I guess there was a red-tailed hawk out there too, doing foley work from out of sight.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The hawk screech is always jarring to hear in real life because it’s such a stock sound.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The hawk screech is always jarring to hear in real life because it’s such a stock sound.

Sitting in my backyard suddenly wary of an impending gunfight.

Well, that's not totally out of the realm of possibilities I guess.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"Pulling out all the stops" refers to the drawknob 'stops' on pipe organs which are used to regulate the amount of pressurized air allowed into particular pipes. The more stops that get pulled, the more ranks of pipes & effects you get during play

Some of the biggest pipe organs have over 500 stops so if you pulled them all out you'd get some crazy poo poo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Pulling out all the stops" refers to the drawknob 'stops' on pipe organs which are used to regulate the amount of pressurized air allowed into particular pipes. The more stops that get pulled, the more ranks of pipes & effects you get during play

Some of the biggest pipe organs have over 500 stops so if you pulled them all out you'd get some crazy poo poo

And that reminds me of this fantastic instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihbIgXBsMU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Loon calls are another ubiquitous sound effect you often hear in spooky settings even though it makes no sense for a loon to be there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFBUIGfcJk

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just realized that this sound isn't meant to be a really lovely coyote sound effect.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

The "ribbit" sound of frogs is only the cry of one very specific kind of frog that you find around Hollywood. Different species make all kinds of noises, which sound nothing like movie frogs

Pacific tree frog if I'm not mistaken.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
That loving police radio chatter. Sounds like,

"Seventy six car, code six, one oh fourth, avenue, sixty-four" whatever, I don't know. It was the sound effect that happened whenever you moved a policeman around in Spider Man Cartoon Maker which I spent a LOT of time on. I can't believe how it's used in -- no joke, hang on, let me check, yup 100% of media that features cop radio chatter

e: typo

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:03 on May 14, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Swords don't actually make a metallic sound coming out because that means something is rubbing the edge and making it blunt.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

credburn posted:

That loving police radio chatter. Sounds like,

"Seventy six car, code six, one oh fourth, avenue, sixty-four" whatever, I don't know. It was the sound effect that happened whenever you moved a policeman around in Spider Man Movie Maker which I spent a LOT of time on. I can't believe how it's used in -- no joke, hang on, let me check, yup 100% of media that features cop radio chatter

Spider Man Movie Maker ftw

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

sebmojo posted:

Swords don't actually make a metallic sound coming out because that means something is rubbing the edge and making it blunt.

I think I've always pictured the scabbard having one of those lovely built in sharpeners like some cheap knives come with when I hear that sound.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The 1992 Emilio Estevez/Mick Jagger movie Freejack uses James Brown's scream from "I Feel Good" as the sound of a future gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMR-RgH86y4

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The electric motor / buzzing sound you hear from a jet engine are the shockwaves from the fan tips moving at supersonic speeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tDiVtpNIK8

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 23:58 on May 14, 2023

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Splint Chesthair posted:

The 1992 Emilio Estevez/Mick Jagger movie Freejack uses James Brown's scream from "I Feel Good" as the sound of a future gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMR-RgH86y4

Lol

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We have so much microplastics in our system because it's so fuken tasty!

I used to chew on these pen caps in school like they were gum when I was a kid, just going to town chewing on them until they were unrecognizable. Looking forward to finding out what kinda cancer that's gonna get me.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Hardcordion posted:

Movies use unrealistic sounds effects all the time for all sorts of different things; animals, firearms, cars, tools, etc. Its not a case of the sounds editors being big dummies who can't tell a bald eagle from a red tailled hawk; there was just a decision made at some point that one sound effect was more satifying and communicated more clearly when paired with the footage. In this case, the sound editor or whoever thought (correctly imo) that sped up/reversed tape audio sounded better than a quiet click-whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr-clunk.

This is probably really helpful for blind folks who want to enjoy a show with their sighted friends. "Oh, I know that sound means they're fast forwarding a video cassette."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wifi Toilet posted:

I used to chew on these pen caps in school like they were gum when I was a kid, just going to town chewing on them until they were unrecognizable. Looking forward to finding out what kinda cancer that's gonna get me.

That looks like one of the lovely pens that came with something and never worked even out of the box. (Like a board/card/dice/swine game that includes keeping tally. Or a Readers' Digest junk letter where it's supplied so you can make the CHOICE to tick the box that leads into you losing a lot of money and gaining a lot of lovely books no-one is going to read.)

We only used pencils in school, so I know the taste of graphite and cedar quite well. (Pencil cases don't smell as they used to, because most pencils these days are made out of non-scented wood.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

dobbymoodge posted:

This is probably really helpful for blind folks who want to enjoy a show with their sighted friends. "Oh, I know that sound means they're fast forwarding a video cassette."

Actually they're enjoying the latest hit by The Chipmunks. Okay, now they're fast-forwarding.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The LA Lakers are originally from Minnesota... the land of 10,000 lakes :aaaaa:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I just realized we're on page 420 and no one has posted anything about weed.

For content, ummm... I just realized I haven't seen a bud with seeds in it for years now, and have no idea where new plants come from. Used to be a pleasant, relaxing ritual for me in college, getting an 8th on a Friday night and sorting the good stuff from the seeds and stems while listening to live house music mixes on the radio.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

The LA Lakers are originally from Minnesota... the land of 10,000 lakes :aaaaa:

Minnesota is also sometimes called the North Star state, and the team now known as the Dallas Stars began life as the Minnesota North Stars. At least they bothered to change the name in that case.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In the inverse of that, the much more fittingly named Houston Rockets and Detroit Pistons were not originally based in those cities.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I also enjoy the path of the Charlotte Hornets who moved to New Orleans, but then Charlotte got another team and called them the Bobcats. Then the New Orleans Hornets changed their name to the Pelicans, so then Charlotte changed their new team back to the Hornets.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
This isn't so much a thing I just "realized" as it is something pointed out to be in another thread, but I've learned today that POV now means the opposite of POV.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Depends on your perspective

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

credburn posted:

This isn't so much a thing I just "realized" as it is something pointed out to be in another thread, but I've learned today that POV now means the opposite of POV.

da fuc? What's the change? Do we need to be angry at zoomers and clouds now?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

da fuc? What's the change? Do we need to be angry at zoomers and clouds now?

Effectively I think POV switched from a first-person concept to a second-person one. Your POV is now watching another person see stuff you don't see.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

credburn posted:

Effectively I think POV switched from a first-person concept to a second-person one. Your POV is now watching another person see stuff you don't see.

I'm most likely over complicating this, but isn't the camera the POV? So watching someone else would still be first person, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

Do you have any examples of this, where people called it POV?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

credburn posted:

this photo was literally called tired-millenial.jpg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In 2019 when that form of TikTok was emerging they originally had titles more like POV: I'm your boyfriend but over time they just became shortened to POV Boyfriend even though that would mean it was coming from their point of view and not yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I never even got the "Nobody:" meme format