Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm back in the thread, after ducking out for a while to avoid spoilers, I've had a couple days with the game and I'm loving it as much as I'd hoped so far :toot:

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Just got to the first dungeon. Leadup is basically a Mario level.

I got there just before I quit last night, it really was quite a trip to get there. I'm psyched to go in, I managed to avoid knowing anything about what they're doing with dungeons this time around so I'm excited to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Damnit, didn't take a screenshot of the dialogue options "I have the crabs" and it doesn't word it the same trying to prompt it again

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Bruceski posted:

https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/1657495871754473472

I'm beginning to see the Matrix. That came out of frustration when I broke another box halfway through trying to figure the "legit" method.

I don’t understand what’s happening in this pic. Can someone explain the matrix for me?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Wildtortilla posted:

I don’t understand what’s happening in this pic. Can someone explain the matrix for me?

They built an impromptu staircase with ultra hand and he can presumably ascend to it by going through the slab glued to it. I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wildtortilla posted:

As in the movie; The Matrix.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

i must compose posted:

They built an impromptu staircase with ultra hand and he can presumably ascend to it by going through the slab glued to it. I think.

Yeah it's this. They are coming up with really creative ways to break the game.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Wildtortilla posted:

At an abandoned hotel, a police squad corners Trinity, who overpowers them with superhuman abilities. She flees, pursued by the police and a group of suited Agents capable of similar superhuman feats. She answers a ringing public telephone and vanishes.

Computer programmer Thomas Anderson, known by his hacking alias "Neo", is puzzled by repeated online encounters with the phrase "the Matrix". Trinity contacts him and tells him a man named Morpheus has the answers Neo seeks. A team of Agents and police, led by Agent Smith, arrives at Neo's workplace in search of him. Though Morpheus attempts to guide Neo to safety, Neo surrenders rather than risk a dangerous escape. The Agents offer to erase Neo's criminal record in exchange for his help with locating Morpheus, who they claim is a terrorist. When Neo refuses to cooperate, they fuse his mouth shut, pin him down, and implant a robotic "bug" in his abdomen. Neo wakes up from what he believes to be a nightmare. Soon after, Neo is taken by Trinity to meet Morpheus, and she removes the bug from Neo.

Morpheus offers Neo a choice between two pills: Taking the red pill, which will reveal the truth about the Matrix, or the blue, which will make Neo forget everything and return to his former life. Neo takes the red pill, and his reality begins to distort, awakening in a liquid-filled pod among countless other pods, containing other humans. He is then brought aboard Morpheus's flying ship, the Nebuchadnezzar. As Neo recuperates from a lifetime of physical inactivity in the pod, Morpheus explains the situation: In the early 21st century, a war broke out between humanity and intelligent machines. After humans blocked the machines' access to solar energy, the machines responded by enslaving humankind and harvesting their bioelectric power while keeping their minds pacified in the Matrix, a shared simulated reality modeled on the world as it was in 1999. In the years following, the remaining free humans took refuge in the underground city of Zion.

Morpheus and his crew are a group of rebels who hack into the Matrix to "unplug" enslaved humans and recruit them; their understanding of the Matrix's simulated nature allows them to bend its physical laws. Morpheus warns Neo that death within the Matrix kills the physical body too and explains that the Agents are sentient programs that eliminate threats to the system, while machines called Sentinels eliminate rebels in the real world. Neo's prowess during virtual training cements Morpheus's belief that Neo is "the One", a human prophesied to free humankind. The group enters the Matrix to visit the Oracle, a prophet-like program who predicted that the One would emerge. She implies to Neo that he is not the One and warns that he will have to choose between Morpheus's life and his own. Before they can leave the Matrix, Agents and police ambush the group, tipped off by Cypher, a disgruntled crew member who has betrayed Morpheus in exchange for a deal to be plugged back into the Matrix to live a comfortable life.

To buy time for the others, Morpheus fights Smith and is captured. Cypher exits the Matrix and murders the other crew members as they lie unconscious. Before Cypher can kill Neo and Trinity, crew member Tank regains consciousness and kills him before pulling Neo and Trinity from the Matrix. The Agents interrogate Morpheus to learn his access codes to the mainframe computer in Zion, which would allow them to destroy it. Neo resolves to return to the Matrix to rescue Morpheus, as the Oracle prophesied; Trinity insists she accompany him. While rescuing Morpheus, Neo gains confidence in his abilities, performing feats comparable to those of the Agents.

After Morpheus and Trinity safely exit the Matrix, Smith ambushes and kills Neo. While a group of Sentinels attack the Nebuchadnezzar, Trinity confesses her love for Neo and says the Oracle told her she would fall in love with the One. Neo is revived, with newfound abilities to perceive and control the Matrix; he easily defeats Smith, prompting the other Agents to flee and he leaves the Matrix just as the ship's electromagnetic pulse disables the Sentinels. Back in the Matrix, Neo makes a telephone call, promising the machines that he will show their prisoners "a world where anything is possible." He hangs up and flies away.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone know if you need to talk to a specific person to have Hetsu show up? Went to where he should be at first, but the fella ain't anywhere to be seen. Did beat the Fire Temple before trying to find him, so maybe that changed his location...

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Anyone know if you need to talk to a specific person to have Hetsu show up? Went to where he should be at first, but the fella ain't anywhere to be seen. Did beat the Fire Temple before trying to find him, so maybe that changed his location...

He probably moved to lookout landing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I have heard of Evermeans before but I thought they would be like tree monsters with a face or something, but no these a literal loving trees uprooting themselves from the ground to gently caress up Link.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I didn't meet him at all until I went to great deku tree

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I have heard of Evermeans before but I thought they would be like tree monsters with a face or something, but no these a literal loving trees uprooting themselves from the ground to gently caress up Link.

Also they appear to be deciduous

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainJuan posted:

Also they appear to be deciduous

if you chase down the yiga-related plot you find out that every single one of them are just yiga in tree costumes trying to ambush link

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Khanstant posted:

I didn't meet him at all until I went to great deku tree

I was actually wondering about this myself. I feel like I've been gaining Korok seeds faster than in BotW thanks to the transportation puzzles, but I haven't turned them in anywhere yet. I actually like those puzzles a lot, too, unlike all the returning ones.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
You can fuse a Minecart to your shield and turn it into a skateboard that will work anywhere
10/10, 100/100 best game BEST GAME

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Got up to the sky temple. It felt like it took a solid hour of platforming. Tulin rules and I immediately liked him as a character.

All in all I'm having a blast with ToTK

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Wildtortilla posted:

no one can tell you what the matrix is, you have to see it for yourself.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

FrickenMoron posted:

Where the gently caress are sunset fireflies, I fast travelled all across the map at night but I can't find any and I've seen them previously but can't remember where.

I spent a long time just wandering around the tutorial sky island and managed to get about a dozen of them through various night time cycles. I only just started the main plot of the game so I dunno where else they are, but it's a safe place to look for them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Evermeans are great because they result in you actually collecting wood naturally without having to stop doing fun things to waste a weapon on twenty trees.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wood is useless unless there's a way to turn it into planks

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

these outfits are so pricey, I’m too stingy and spicy peppers are just growing there free for the taking

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

By the way, for people who talked about the Great Plateau quest: the initial part isn't in the depths, you gotta bomb a wall at the outer wall bottom part. This opens a path inside the plateau and a statue that actually starts the real quest.

Selane
May 19, 2006

mistermojo posted:

these outfits are so pricey, I’m too stingy and spicy peppers are just growing there free for the taking
To be fair, this game has mad free armor lying around for the taking.

Speaking of which, I rode some random sky block in Hebra to an island and it led to a skydiving challenge, after which some robot gave me the loving wingsuit.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Selane posted:

To be fair, this game has mad free armor lying around for the taking.

Speaking of which, I rode some random sky block in Hebra to an island and it led to a skydiving challenge, after which some robot gave me the loving wingsuit.

Oh yeah, there's multiple of that. I'm pretty sure there's 3 that each gives you one piece, the second one was at the east between Naceda and Akkala I think?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This video may have been posted already or seen by many, but these pro tips blew my mind and helped open my eyes to what all is possible. I was doing stupid poo poo like attaching a steak to my shield, but this stuff is extremely useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Hl1IDSTlI

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just started playing, game is dope. Kinda wish I didn't play BotW on WiiU so I could get those sick bonuses. Little question though: does the game go into any detail about how long Link was knocked out getting the arm graft in the opening? I figure it was a while since Link's rocking quite the mane but it's hard to pin it down.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All it's probably doing (napkin coding, etc) is retaining a list of prior x/y/z coordinates and rotation (maybe velocity too) for the past 30-odd seconds of activity... It's a simple bit of functionality that'll be running under the hood standardized across every object in the game.

Dumb programming thoughts: Could be something like a History Manager that tracks this on any moved interactable object, or any moved object could track itself (but you probably don't need to track history of objects before they move). If it tracked velocity, when you unfroze time thrown objects would continue their trajectory rather than fall straight down.

A History Manager could also handle only tracking one history when you're tracking one large fused object, rather than each part tracking its own unique history, so that's probably what I'd do without a compelling reason otherwise.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So is it me or are rupees and arrows hard to come by this time around?

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Frankston posted:

Plenty of arrows in crates and barrels. I've never had this many arrows in BotW.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Frankston posted:

I've barely found rupees, arrows I've been pretty low but I seem to always find some when I need. For money I'm just selling poo poo.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Frankston posted:

For Arrows I found a decent free source, in Rito village there's a lady with a sidequest who will trade glowing fish and brightshrooms for 10 arrows each time and it's repeatable. I think it's 5 shrooms or 3 fishes for the arrows and she only asks for what you have.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

This video may have been posted already or seen by many, but these pro tips blew my mind and helped open my eyes to what all is possible. I was doing stupid poo poo like attaching a steak to my shield, but this stuff is extremely useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Hl1IDSTlI

oh my god the shield will literally stick to rails to let you grind on them

Traps are going to be insanely OP, the enemy AI seemingly can't recognize them and will keep running at you.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 14, 2023

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Frankston posted:

I'm still early in the game, but i've found very little rupees in chests compared to botw. Which means all of the money chests were already discovered by me in the first game. Curse you, past me!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Atoramos posted:

Dumb programming thoughts: Could be something like a History Manager that tracks this on any moved interactable object, or any moved object could track itself (but you probably don't need to track history of objects before they move). If it tracked velocity, when you unfroze time thrown objects would continue their trajectory rather than fall straight down.

A History Manager could also handle only tracking one history when you're tracking one large fused object, rather than each part tracking its own unique history, so that's probably what I'd do without a compelling reason otherwise.

Braid did it with key frames and diffs but that was rewinding everyone at once. A ring buffer of position vector and timestamps would work fine for this.

EDIT:

CJ fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 14, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Yeah, I haven't had more than fifty arrows and I'm constantly broke on the rupees front. Barely found any gems, and if I find em, I sell em.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

oh my god the shield will literally stick to rails to let you grind on them

Traps are going to be insanely OP, the enemy AI seemingly can't recognize them and will keep running at you.

I cleared all of Lurelin village primary with some rocket launchers glues to a wheel glued to a hover block. The hardest part is I had to spend forever finding one lizalfos who got flung way into the ocean out of aggro range. Or didn't even know I was ever there, just activating my cannon wheel of doom. The laser does nothing.

Full disclosure: died several times bc I didn't change armour and kept blasting myself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I bust every crate I find and I have around 300 arrows after the first dungeon

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Beat the rito dungeon relying entirely on throwing pinecones into fires, only realizing once it was over that ascend is a thing :doh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Me: I'd like to pick up this one crab I snuck on.

The squad: STORM EARTH AND FIRE HEED MY CALL

Here is your blackened crab sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Beat the rito dungeon relying entirely on throwing pinecones into fires, only realizing once it was over that ascend is a thing :doh:

Lmao I'm wondering if that's where all the "took me an hour to get up" wind Temple posts are coming from

You also have rockets, spring boards, hot air balloon, fans, gliders, rocket shields, and bombshield launch.