Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Deltasquid posted:

Can they not leave a voice mail?

On a collect call? I doubt it.

I got arrested back in the mid 90's and was able to reach my grandmother, who was able to facilitate things a bit since I knew she'd accept the charges (contact this person and that, etc.) but it was incredibly hard to communicate while inside and even on that call, the answering machine picked up and she was able to hear the collect call request. Not sure if now it would just go straight to VM and you'd be allowed to leave a message or not.

Other thing I just thought of is "holy poo poo, I don't actually KNOW that many people's phone numbers". They're just names in my contacts. I probably only have like 5 people maximum that I could actually remember their digits if I were in lock up - probably not even that - and I doubt they're gonna let you get your phone and look poo poo up once you're in there and they've put it in storage.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Maybe it's different from prison, but having collect called my parents a ton one summer, yes, you can definitely leave a message.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Deltasquid posted:

Can they not leave a voice mail?

Who checks voice mails on their personal phone these days? Most people I know (in their 30s, nevermind younger generations) have voicemails that just say "I'm unable to check my voicemails, please text me about whatever this is regarding". And thats if they've even bothered to record a message for it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Blut posted:

Who checks voice mails on their personal phone these days? Most people I know (in their 30s, nevermind younger generations) have voicemails that just say "I'm unable to check my voicemails, please text me about whatever this is regarding". And thats if they've even bothered to record a message for it.

Really? Also mid-30s here, I've never heard of this.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

shoeberto posted:

Same, 30 and I don't think I've ever encountered that

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

withak posted:

Yeah then they can just call you back in on your cell.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Jails these days have pre-paid phone systems where the inmate purchases credit for phone calls, so collect jail calls aren’t as much of a thing as they once were. Family members can also add credit from outside and even restrict the credit to specific phone numbers. The jail in my area has had this system for around 10 years at least.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
prison telcoms is very stupid and bad today. like the most recent bit I remember hearing about on public radio was them trying to soft ban handwritten letters to a all digital system.

also lol at people not having time to check voice mails or take actual voice calls.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OctaMurk posted:

Same, 30 and I don't think I've ever encountered that

That's just people not wanting to deal with voice communications at all, which I support. I do check voicemail, but only to read the transcript.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blut posted:

Im 42, I never check my voice mails, and the last time I actually bothered to record message for it was in the 90s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I never check voicemail and I never get any. Sometimes my SO records a short voice message to me via messenger but that's the closest I get.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

also lol at people not having time to check voice mails or take actual voice calls.

It's not really a time thing it's that no real people in my life use those forms of communication, it's exclusively advertisers. Why would i listen to that?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

shoeberto posted:

Do you use your phone for work? Or do most of your peer group? They're the only people I know of who check/leave/use voice mails.

In peoples personal lives theres just no reason to leave a voicemail instead of sending a text to explain why your were calling, or at worst a voice note. Voicemails are incredibly less convenient.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I hardly ever get voice mail. Half of it is spam, half of it is from healthcare or other bureaucracy offices, although those are starting to switch to text, too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

empty baggie posted:

Jails these days have pre-paid phone systems where the inmate purchases credit for phone calls, so collect jail calls aren’t as much of a thing as they once were. Family members can also add credit from outside and even restrict the credit to specific phone numbers. The jail in my area has had this system for around 10 years at least.

Pretty much all carriers large and small no longer provide collect call services. So like you say, all inmate phone calls are all prepaid by the inmate or the customer now. How many free calls an inmate gets is up to statute and how lenient the warden is. When COVID started, a bunch of places gave away free calls like candy because in person visitation got severely curtailed or outright suspended and it was the only way to keep the inmates from rioting.

Also some places offer voicemail for the inmates, the family calls in and leaves a message then the next time the inmate uses the phone, they get the message.

duz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 14, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been watching Better Call Saul recently and it made me think about how loving hard it must be now to make calls from prison.

I assume they still use the shared pay phone and inmates have to call collect but in a world where nobody answers their phone and 95% of everything is a text message it must be a real bitch to reach your lawyer and family members. At least initially until you're able to establish the prison phone number make your contacts.

Related, it's interesting to watch a lot of older movies now and realize how many of them just entirely fall apart if they're in a world that has cell phone communication, surveillance cameras and that sort of thing. Must make it harder to write certain suspenseful plots nowadays and more than half the time the solution is just "dead battery, no coverage, phone gets wet/damaged"

This reminds of all the old Law and Order episodes where the cops would talk to so-and-sos bookie.

With the legal gambling boom, do underground bookies have a market anymore

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This reminds of all the old Law and Order episodes where the cops would talk to so-and-sos bookie.

With the legal gambling boom, do underground bookies have a market anymore

Mole people.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Thank you for using gtl

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Basically the only non spam voicemails I ever get are one's my mum will leave, and they tend to be just her saying "call me back when you get chance", which is already implied by me seeing I have a missed call.

Otherwise it's those weird robocall spam messages.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The only time in the last three-five month I've gotten a call that wasn't from a scammer is calls at 1-3:00 am on weekends from drunk mates looking to chat. Everything else from friends/family/work is through some online messenger thing or another. If I hear my phone making a incoming phone call noise during the day probably not going to bother check it, if I hear it making one of the messenger incoming chat noise I definitely am.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I disabled voicemail probably 15 years ago.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Even when I get a voicemail, I just read the speech to text, I don't actually listen to it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No one I want to talk to would ever leave a voice mail.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Estate Agents and Recruiters love leaving voicemails, when I ignore the call from some random number

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you call someone and it goes to voicemail then the correct thing to do is hang up and send a text message

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

We're about to spend the equivalent of around $60,000 on a solar roof, and one of the primary reasons we chose the company we did is because it was the only one who actually read our description that a) we prefer communication by email, and b) we are not going to agree to a home visit before we have a preliminary price estimate range. We had two companies come out before we made these demands, and they basically took a walk around the house and glanced at the roof, and then gave prices that were stupid high ($130,000+). I don't need to rearrange my day to wait at home for you to come by and then talk to you for a half hour to finally hear your outrageous price. Look at the roof on googlemaps, and send your best estimate by email.

I am getting five or six calls a day from the companies that aren't bothering to read our very basic requirements.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
60,000 for a solar roof? Are those normal prices wherever you are or is this a really huge setup for producing surplus power for the grid?

My parents paid 8k (€) I think for this setup, maybe it was 7k, last autumn. It produced 50kWh yesterday.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Solar roof I think is when the slates are solar panels. I guess sometimes there are planning requirements but I prefer in-roof solar using standard sized PV panels as it makes it really easy to swap things out in future.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

60,000 for a solar roof? Are those normal prices wherever you are or is this a really huge setup for producing surplus power for the grid?

My parents paid 8k (€) I think for this setup, maybe it was 7k, last autumn. It produced 50kWh yesterday.

It's normal here :denmark: , from what we can tell. It's for a fully integrated solar roof (the kind where the roof is the panels, not solar panels on top of a normal roof), and we're completing replacing the existing roof because it's 80 years old.

It's about 100 m2 of roof with a 50o pitch, and the price includes new underlayment and dismantling and disposing the existing roof (super heavy clay tile).

€8000 also sounds very cheap, if you're talking about a whole roof, and not just a few panels plopped on top of an existing roof. Though 50kWh per day is a lot of panels, and the price still sounds very cheap. When I was still living in the States, I had to get new roof shingles after a hailstorm, and just that without any kind of carpentry needed was around $10000, if I remember right (insurance paid it, so I didn't care much).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

60k for a new roof, solar panels and the inverter system is about right I would have thought, including all the labour and sales taxes.

I'm looking at these for our south facing garage roof, should hopefully be able to do it without much in the way of re-roofing as the existing roof is only about 30 years old and looks dry and everything seems square https://www.viridiansolar.co.uk/solar-products-roof-integrated-pv-fusion.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Right I thought solar panels on top of a roof and not a whole new roof.

Those old tiles if they are anywhere remotely usable they can probably be sold since there are in my experience always people looking for old clay tiles for their old houses. Even if you would have to give them away it's less stuff to dispose of.

We where considering solar panels but due to trees it's not a good fit, instead we optimized our energy usage, improved roof insulation, fitted a heat pump in the garage instead of direct electric, and got down from 11,000 kWh per year to 7100 kWh (at last check).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Right I thought solar panels on top of a roof and not a whole new roof.
It seems we are in the midst of the imgur-pocalypse, because I can't see the image you embedded in your first reply on my laptop, but I can see it in awful app. Weird.

We need a new roof, anyway, and the cost of a new normal roof plus a solar installation on top is about the same as an integrated solar roof. The kinds with them on top also have a higher incidence of leaking, because the sealing around the mounting points tends not to be as durable as the roof itself, assuming they are even sealed properly in the first place. Plus, we think the integrated roof looks nicer, and there is a 20 year guarantee on it. I doubt we will stay in the same house that long, so I think the better aesthetics will pay off in the resale value of the house when we sell.

quote:

Those old tiles if they are anywhere remotely usable they can probably be sold since there are in my experience always people looking for old clay tiles for their old houses. Even if you would have to give them away it's less stuff to dispose of.
I don't know if there is such a market around here. It's also much more expensive to get the clay tiles dismantled for re-use, because then they need to actually carry each one down to make sure it doesn't break, rather than just tossing them from the roof into an open dumpster below.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blut posted:

I'm 29 and while leaving voice mails is rare outside of a professional context, it's not unheard of. It's standard routine in a professional environment. If a person told me they couldn't access their voice mails they might as well be telling me they don't have access to e-mail: I can certainly work around it, but it's a little bit weird.

If I called my lawyer and his voice mail went "sorry, I can't access voice mail. Text me!" I'd be pretty pissed

Family members, well, it might take them a few hours but I'd expect them to actually see the "1 missed call. You have 1 new message. Call 1230" sms (or whatever the number is for voice mails with your provider) when they actually get around to picking up their phone.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How much more does it cost to redo your roof if you have solar panels attached to it? I keep thinking about it but I don't think we're more than 5-7 years from needing a new roof and I don't want it to be a nightmare.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
Buying clay tiles reminded me of this wonderful thread that I was recently introduced to:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999215&pagenumber=37&perpage=40

Lots of high quality tile content

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Blut posted:

Do you use your phone for work? Or do most of your peer group? They're the only people I know of who check/leave/use voice mails.

In peoples personal lives theres just no reason to leave a voicemail instead of sending a text to explain why your were calling, or at worst a voice note. Voicemails are incredibly less convenient.

I guess for my peer group it's all almost exclusively text or other chat. I don't use my phone for work, but when dealing with vets, pharmacies, doctors, or really any professional services, it involves something going to voice mail at some point. I do usually use visual voice mail or read the transcripts though.

I guess I don't really use it, but it's hard to imagine disabling it outright. Just like I don't use the postal service to snail mail stuff, but that doesn't mean I don't want a mailbox or that I've stopped checking the mail. Important stuff still comes that way.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Professor Beetus posted:

How much more does it cost to redo your roof if you have solar panels attached to it? I keep thinking about it but I don't think we're more than 5-7 years from needing a new roof and I don't want it to be a nightmare.

If you are in the US, it's better to do the new roof at the same time. Pretty sure you can get the tax rebate on the roof replacement as well if it is part of the solar install. My roof is at the point where it is getting ready to replace, just waiting on a hail storm to push it over the edge so the insurance will pay.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I got solar panels and will need to replace my roof in the next few years. I am not looking forward to it at all. Maybe getting a contractor won't be a herculean task by then like it is right now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Papercut posted:

Even when I get a voicemail, I just read the speech to text, I don't actually listen to it

... except the only relevant voicemails I get have numbers, names, dates and/or times in them, all of which speech-to-text is liable to butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Google's doing this new thing where arXiv papers themselves don't come up, but instead its always this "arxiv-vanity.org" that does this broken pdf-to-html thing that totally fucks up the math formatting. I'm guessing its because google prefers html over pdf, but it's just another new annoyance I get to have on a daily basis now.