Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Probably a lot of incumbent advantage from people who aren't paying attention and don't see a reason to change it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

iirc committee-related poo poo

real useful when you can't show up to those committees

Yeah it’s this. She’s a key vote on a bunch of committees. It’s gross what’s being done to her though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel no sympathy for her as a person given she's white supremacist trash but it is gross what's being done to the american people

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Not like there was much of a choice last time, and now it came out how much of a piece of poo poo Kevin de Leon is

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh what happened to that dude. Last thing I saw was him getting into a rumble on camera.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Oh what happened to that dude. Last thing I saw was him getting into a rumble on camera.

Ironically he’s pulling a Feinstein himself and is refusing to leave office until the end of his term while activists occasionally crash his events/presentations in protest.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Did DeLeon even bother to campaign statewide? I don't remember seeing any ads or flyers or signs.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did DeLeon even bother to campaign statewide? I don't remember seeing any ads or flyers or signs.

AFAICT the CA democratic machine basically told him to shut the gently caress up, stop campaigining, and they'd take care of him down the line, which resulted in his LA city council seat. Upon which he then did a racism and yeah is refusing to step down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
DeLeon was trying enough at first that he won the primary but after that he dropped off the face of the earth and it's pretty clear that once he seemingly posed a genuine threat to Feinstein's re-election he was pulled into a backroom and told if he was actually going to try and unseat her the full might of the party was going to come down on his head and he'd find himself with gently caress all allies even if he did still pull out a win.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

luminalflux posted:

AFAICT the CA democratic machine basically told him to shut the gently caress up, stop campaigining, and they'd take care of him down the line, which resulted in his LA city council seat. Upon which he then did a racism and yeah is refusing to step down.

The CA Democratic party endorsed him over Feinstein in the general because she stopped paying attention and doing favors for the state party decades ago

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/05/dianne-feinstein-health-return-to-senate.html

quote:

It was about a minute later that I encountered Feinstein coming off an elevator, sitting in a wheelchair and flanked by staff. It’s been hard to find the senator since her return; she’s kept her movements mostly to the least-populated passageways and skipped luncheons and non-urgent committee hearings.

I asked her how she was feeling.

“Oh, I’m feeling fine. I have a problem with the leg.” A fellow reporter staking out the elevator asked what was wrong with the leg.

“Well, nothing that’s anyone concern but mine,” she said.

When the fellow reporter asked her what the response from her colleagues had been like since her return, though, the conversation took an odd turn.

“No, I haven’t been gone,” she said.

OK.

“You should follow the—I haven’t been gone. I’ve been working.”

When asked whether she meant that she’d been working from home, she turned feisty.

“No, I’ve been here. I’ve been voting,” she said. “Please. You either know or don’t know.”

After deflecting one final question about those, like Rep. Ro Khanna, who’ve called on her to resign, she was wheeled away.
On Monday, I had asked another member of the committee, Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal, whether there really was any optimism that Feinstein could return to being a fully functioning, contributing member of the committee like her old self.

“There’s one job that no one else can do for us, which is to vote,” Blumenthal said. “And she’s been doing that job in the last few days, and so far as I can tell, she’s been doing well.”

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, whom I asked separately, had a terser response: “I’m gonna leave that to the medics.”

The other reporter was from the LA Times and reported it separately; slightly different recollection of words, but agrees on the incoherence. https://twitter.com/boreskes/status/1658580390053924866

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i know they won't, but i hope everyone involved in this gets charged with elder abuse

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i know they won't, but i hope everyone involved in this gets charged with elder abuse

It’s not abuse because senators aren’t human

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think it's funny that she doesn't know where she is. The genuine concerns over elder abuse are also really funny, like she isn't getting exactly what she's always wanted.

My grandma is also in mental decline, and I'm sad about that. The difference is that my grandma didn't authorize the Iraq War or commit innumerable other capital crimes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

oh i have zero sympathy for her. i just also have zero sympathy for her staff and peers milking her for pay and power. robbing senile grandmas doesn't become okay just because its in the interests of your career to do so

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What if I got a degree in robbing senile grandmas

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

While it would be better if she could be sentenced by a people's tribunal, I suppose low-grade elder abuse is the closest thing to justice we can expect to be exacted upon Feinstein, so we might as well enjoy it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What if I got a degree in robbing senile grandmas

so, finance?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Have their even been any leaks from her office? Until I see any evidence at all that her staff are abusing her rather than pleading with her to step down and her going gently caress no, I'll assume she's got the same death grip on power that she's always had.

Shoulda been tossed out of office by the voters 2 terms ago.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
her husband died in 2022 but has her 65 y/o daughter chimed in on any of this??

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Family Values posted:

Have their even been any leaks from her office? Until I see any evidence at all that her staff are abusing her rather than pleading with her to step down and her going gently caress no, I'll assume she's got the same death grip on power that she's always had.

Her staff ARE Senator Feinstein now, they're making the decisions, telling her what to sign and how to vote. She's obviously not capable of doing any of that herself and hasn't been for years. That's the abuse, taking advantage of her diminished capacity for their own benefit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Weekend at Bernie's

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's no way her votes could be any better if she were lucid :shrug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Family Values posted:

Shoulda been tossed out of office by the voters 2 terms ago.

Yes, cmon, do you really think she's some kind of puppetmaster controlling her staff? lmao

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I think it's funny that she doesn't know where she is. The genuine concerns over elder abuse are also really funny, like she isn't getting exactly what she's always wanted.
I mean, considering it's Feinstein... she would probably want her staff pushing her agenda as long as possible, assuming her senior staffers more or less share the same agenda. Can't give up Senate committee seniority!

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Clinging to power until death claws it away worked great for RBG.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

First of May posted:

Clinging to power until death claws it away worked great for RBG.
I mean, yeah :v:

But unless there's a Republican win for California Governor in the near future... I think the situation is much different.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Man Stabbed posted:

What are you gonna do, stab me?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

fermun posted:

Yes, cmon, do you really think she's some kind of puppetmaster controlling her staff? lmao

You misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting she's a puppetmaster I'm suggesting she's refusing to say the magic words that would allow this farce to end.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think if we didn't have someone like Mitch McConnell that would do everything within his ability to hinder and wrest power from the opposing party, I think Feinstein would probably have less of an issue resigning.

Losing that much seniority may risk a lot of the goals that people have in mind, so sticking to the status quo is probably what a lot of important people are thinking right now.

So yeah, knock on wood, this is hardly an RBG moment, but the Democratic leadership may see value in her staying in her role rather than resigning.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm not really familiar with all of the benefits of seniority beyond just reading a wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seniority_in_the_United_States_Senate

but I do know that Mitch has been in the Senate for a long time and he certainly knows how to make full use of the bureaucracy to his advantage, with one example being that he prevented putting Merrick Garland up for a vote to be on the supreme court and instead putting in 3 republican supreme court judges instead

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
It looks like letters have been sent out to 35 LASD deputies to be questioned about their involvement in the internal gangs under Villanueva.
They have 14 days to report from when the letter was sent, which was the 12th.

https://content.govdelivery.com/att...uty%20Gangs.pdf

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/la-county-inspector-general-question-deputies-gangs-sheriff-department/
https://witnessla.com/la-county-inspector-general-uses-cas-new-deputy-gang-laws-to-start-iding-lasds-gangsters-with-badges/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OC-PWs_vw

"In the letter, which was dated May 12, the Inspector General said that the sheriff's department possessed evidence that the two gangs were "exclusive, secretive" and the department could not provide them with a list detailing the membership of each group. This shortcoming prompted the office to conduct "witness interviews" to determine how many deputies are in the Banditos and Executioners. "

Sweet

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Family Values posted:

You misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting she's a puppetmaster I'm suggesting she's refusing to say the magic words that would allow this farce to end.

She’s forgotten them. It should be a family member acting on her behalf and best interests now.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

She’s forgotten them. It should be a family member acting on her behalf and best interests now.

We haven't (yet) become a hereditary aristocracy and her family doesn't inherit her office. The leadership should step in and remove her if she won't voluntarily resign. Her family has gently caress all say in it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Family Values posted:

We haven't (yet) become a hereditary aristocracy and her family doesn't inherit her office. The leadership should step in and remove her if she won't voluntarily resign. Her family has gently caress all say in it.

if you mean leadership as in the federal legislature as a whole, allowing that would seriously gently caress up our current federal model (which i wouldn't necessarily mind, but it's something that requires a rewrite of the constitution, so not trivial)

if you mean state democrat machine leadership, uh, they're in no small part responsible for her still being in office

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As a Constitutional Originalist, I believe the state legislature should simply select a different person to send to DC

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CPColin posted:

As a Constitutional Originalist, I believe the state legislature should simply select a different person to send to DC

That’s right

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

how long until we have a 40k emperor of man situation where the leader is just a corpse and the cult of divinators "interpreting his will" are the actual leaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

She's one of the longest serving Democrats in the Senate, placement on committees, she's currently on five, including appropriations (budget), judiciary, rules, and intelligence (CIA etc) those are some pretty important ones

Of note she was the chair of the intelligence committee for almost a decade, stepped down as chair in 2015/17 depending on how you count that

I would imagine as a senator you wouldn't let go of the intelligence committee chair unless there was a serious problem, wouldn't surprise me if her mental facilities started to let go in the 15/17 period

She's also still chair of the drug war committee, which, probably isn't a bad thing, that was a mistake to begin with and probably best they let her continue to chair it post humously