Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

King's Field clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bloodsouls.

Bloodborne gets top billing because it's the best video game period

Hwurmp posted:

King's Field clones

But I'll also accept this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bloodborne sucks I played a random part at my friend's house for twenty minutes, if I wanted to see boring victorian horror ruins I'd watch BBC News

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
watch dogs legion is the prequel to bloodborne

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Bloodborne sucks I played a random part at my friend's house for twenty minutes, if I wanted to see boring victorian horror ruins I'd watch BBC News

no insight, maidenless posting

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Bonfire Respawn games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Everyone thinks victorian london when talking bloodborne but it looks and feels much more like Central Europe to me. I don't understand it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fridge corn posted:

Everyone thinks victorian london when talking bloodborne but it looks and feels much more like Central Europe to me. I don't understand it

Yeah I got much more of a Germany vibe

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wanna say it's aesthetic in Yahrnam was most inspired by Prague

https://imgur.com/a/nEuQx

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 14, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

the proper name for them are Berserk clones

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bone emulator posted:

Bonfire Respawn games

no idea why anyone would immolate Titanfall 2, but okay have a normal one i guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Makes sense
https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1656846655814004737

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crossposting from the shmups thread.

I don't know how many of you all here are aware of FRAXY. It's a free Japanese indie shmup boss editor from the 2010s, last updated in 2015. For the last, god, years, I've been technically in charge of the remnants of the FRAXY community - notable alumni of our little circle include Eboshidori and eebrogzi (ZeroRanger) and all three members of Team D-13 (Monolith). I'm extremely proud of all of them.

A few days ago, I got a bug up my butt about how little I've been doing to help keep things going. And now, I'm happy to announce that I've finished translating and sprucing up an English version of the FRAXY reference manual! There's still more that can be done, some decent tutorials would be nice for a start, and I haven't touched the whole scripting language side of it at all, but you should have enough material here to make one boss of any complexity, from parts simply stuck together and left to their own devices to see what happens, to an intricately plotted dance of lasers with four and a half distinct phases.

The latest full release of FRAXY can be found here. The english version of the reference manual can be found here. If you want to ask questions in person, we also have a Discord, which can be found here, and technically a forum too but I basically just keep that around for the sake of preservation.

If you have any interest in trying your hand at making shmups, there's a lot worse places to start than FRAXY.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 14, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I finished Twilight Princess.
That was amazingly good. This year I will have played three Zelders - just like last. :3:

I was doing the final fight a bit wrong. Very embarassing. Not nearly as embarassing as starting Super Mario Sunshine and being utterly, wildly, incapable.

Goodness this is going to be a tough one. I am going for 96 shines. :hai: 5 down so far after 2 hours. This could be tricky.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dabir posted:

Crossposting from the shmups thread.

I don't know how many of you all here are aware of FRAXY. It's a free Japanese indie shmup boss editor from the 2010s, last updated in 2015. For the last, god, years, I've been technically in charge of the remnants of the FRAXY community - notable alumni of our little circle include Eboshidori and eebrogzi (ZeroRanger) and all three members of Team D-13 (Monolith). I'm extremely proud of all of them.

A few days ago, I got a bug up my butt about how little I've been doing to help keep things going. And now, I'm happy to announce that I've finished translating and sprucing up an English version of the FRAXY reference manual! There's still more that can be done, some decent tutorials would be nice for a start, and I haven't touched the whole scripting language side of it at all, but you should have enough material here to make one boss of any complexity, from parts simply stuck together and left to their own devices to see what happens, to an intricately plotted dance of lasers with four and a half distinct phases.

The latest full release of FRAXY can be found here. The english version of the reference manual can be found here. If you want to ask questions in person, we also have a Discord, which can be found here, and technically a forum too but I basically just keep that around for the sake of preservation.

If you have any interest in trying your hand at making shmups, there's a lot worse places to start than FRAXY.
i messed around with fraxy a lot back in the day, its awesome that theres' still a little community for it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How are people liking the new Diablo?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh did it come out?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

Oh did it come out?

They did a pre release weekend beta thing that ended today. It doesn't come out till the 6th of June.

I didn't play much cuz of Zelda but it's pretty fun, definitely a weird casual MMO-y take on the series but that's fine, I have PoE for actual hardcore/challenging stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

How are people liking the new Diablo?

This weekends beta test completely nerfed every single fun build and made the game feel miserable to play. Throw in a few exclusive FOMO cosmetics you can only earn this weekend, and it made for a frustrating weekend that killed a lot of peoples enthusiasm for the full release in a few weeks.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What's FOMO

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Fear of Missing Out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Fear of Missing Out

Huh. Thanks I had no idea

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The stuff in D4 is like a backpack and a title. I can't imagine giving a poo poo tbh.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't play much cuz of Zelda but it's pretty fun, definitely a weird casual MMO-y take on the series but that's fine, I have PoE for actual hardcore/challenging stuff.

That already sounds like diablo 3?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

It's an evolution of what they tried with d3 yeah. Now you have like world bosses and events and crap that you'll see other players at.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

There was nothing really MMO-like to D3 at all. The player cap was no more than 4 to a room and everything was instanced. D4 has a persistent open world and a few bosses that take 10-20 players to kill. There are overworld events that random players will just join in with you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If anything I wish it would go more MMO-ey rather than do this halfway thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyways, I got to turn into a werewolf and shred demons and that's all I want out of a Diablo game. Definitely do not play a mainline Diablo game for anything more complicated than that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anyways, I got to turn into a werewolf and shred demons and that's all I want out of a Diablo game. Definitely do not play a mainline Diablo game for anything more complicated than that.

Druid is back?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Druid is back?

yeah. they rule.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last Celebration posted:

Have fun aimlessly exploring for dozens of hours, do the main story for at least until Hateno Village to avoid a gotcha that nails a lot (like, a lot a lot) of new players.

Thanks for the advice, I'd just gotten the quest to go there and figured,"Huh, sounds like a good time to start loving about exploring!"

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Been waiting for another ARPG werewolf since D2 and I think I've thoroughly extinguished that desire for the great price of "free" thanks to this weekend

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

There was nothing really MMO-like to D3 at all. The player cap was no more than 4 to a room and everything was instanced. D4 has a persistent open world and a few bosses that take 10-20 players to kill. There are overworld events that random players will just join in with you.

D3 definitely still felt like some weird MMO where they limited it 5 visible people at a time while you waited for dungeon finder.

It makes sense, they're both loot treadmill games at the end of the day and that's what they know how to make most.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

D3 definitely still felt like some weird MMO where they limited it 5 visible people at a time while you waited for dungeon finder.

I don’t get what you mean by this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Diablo 3 has a lot more in common in its online play with Diablo 2 rather than any MMO, which makes sense, because they are the exact same type of game. There's no persistent overworld, no non-instanced content, no raids nor any form of super organized group play that would I think be the absolute minimum requirements for what you'd consider to be a "massively multiplayer" RPG.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this feels vaguely like the people that insist destiny isnt a mmo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If things like "large persistent online world" and "can see more than 3 other players at a time" are no longer defining features of an MMO then the word has probably ceased to convey any meaning. Either way it's no more helpful for describing Diablo than it is Elden Ring.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diablo IV is anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011