Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

mycot posted:

I think it's more that western audiences really did not wrap their head around roguelikes yet.

"dude wtf you lose all your progress when you die"

Yeah, it was before the boom, and quite a few outlets didn't like the game. That and on the Mystery Dungeon end of things, Pokemon's one of the more simple ones.

Sky is really good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've said this before, but the fundamental premise of rtwp is that large chunks of your combat system are so tedious and uninteresting that you shouldn't have to pay any attention to them, to which I say, I do not want to play your terrible battle system and I'd rather do anything else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If i ever replay nwn2 im gonna count how many orcs you kill because im almost positive itd reach 4 digits

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

If i ever replay nwn2 im gonna count how many orcs you kill because im almost positive itd reach 4 digits

Which expansion is your favorite?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*in AI intonation* so many years ago today

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

I think BW is pretty popular with gay video game players. Probably precisely because they were willing to do this poo poo pretty early on in the Western AAA scene and risk the wrath of Fox News and poo poo.

Genuinely you are incredibly stupid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I bought DA I and ME:A on sale for like 10 bucks together and played them both for about 5 hours and realized they're actually the exact same loving video game and the only memory I have of either of them is the trans lady in Andromeda just deadnaming herself so you know she's actually trans, honest for real! within like 3 dialogue boxes of meeting her and i'm sorry you have to be just clapping baby levels of engagement to think that's good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the DA2 guy who got raked over the coals for saying "when you press a button, something awesome should happen" was 100% correct and he was talking about how garbage RTWP was

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My fav bioware thing was all the dragon age 2 backpatting about how they're going to 'explore the different beauty standards of the races of dragon age" and used this picture lol

invisible high heels ftw.

Also that when asked if you could gently caress varrick david gaider was like "no thats disgusting"

e: fixed teh image

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 14, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

I've said this before, but the fundamental premise of rtwp is that large chunks of your combat system are so tedious and uninteresting that you shouldn't have to pay any attention to them, to which I say, I do not want to play your terrible battle system and I'd rather do anything else.

Yeah the D&D level of complexity and prep and poo poo only really works in D&D where there's usually 3 other people handling 1/4th of the work load. Making one person do it all just turns it into always eventually breaking down into a pre-flight check of poo poo you need to do before an encounter and then automating at least half of every fight. poo poo sucks rear end.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My fav bioware thing was all the dragon age 2 backpatting about how they're going to 'explore the different beauty standards of the races of dragon age" and used this picture lol

invisible high heels ftw.

Also that when asked if you could gently caress varrick david gaider was like "no thats disgusting"

e: oh i guess wikia has anti hotlink tech since the image is not a thumbnail if you click the link...

lol. tiny invisible high heels

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dragon Age 2's marketing was incredible.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Pathfinder: Kingmaker became my favorite CRPG when it let me switch to turn-based combat like 5 minutes in. Being able to set the character chatter to anything between "non-existent" to "Xenoblade" was nice too

the genre should just have copied FF12 as much as possible the moment that came out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

catgirlgenius posted:

the genre should just have copied FF12 as much as possible the moment that came out

Finally, someone who understands me, thank you!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

Seriously. One of the biggest arguments I see in favor of RTWP is that it's great at letting you churn through chaff fights and uninteresting combat encounters faster than a full turn based system.

Maybe you don't need to have chaff fights and uninteresting combat encounters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best way to handle chaff fights is to have incredibly cool looking hack and slash combat imo

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

rtwp is fine actually

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
we all hate rtwp

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

counterpoint: it is

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think it is, Glenn Greenwald.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rtwp is good in some war games but should be kept far way from rpgs

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

rtwp is good in some war games but should never be kept far way from rpgs

wow, agreed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont even like autoattack in MMO combat its a miracle i liked basically everything in xenoblade that wasnt the basic combat system (and it was legitimately fun once you actually get moves which do interesting combos)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
real time with pause is great. get a better space bar you children. hammer that thing like it's a whammy bar.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

mycot posted:

I think it's more that western audiences really did not wrap their head around roguelikes yet.

"dude wtf you lose all your progress when you die"

never trust gaming sites.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

real time with pause is great. get a better space bar you children. hammer that thing like it's a whammy bar.

That does not make it seem appealing or fun.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just finished Wild Arms 2. What a good game. Better than the original in every way except perhaps the soundtrack isn't quite a strong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

Yeah no I do it's not fun. It's all the shittiest parts of real time and turn based and it would just be better turn based in the first place.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Freedom Force is real good at justifying its version of rtwp.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dead genre..... almost as bad as point-and-click adventures!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The only dead genre in here is “good posting”!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Arivia posted:

hooking up one of those bootleg-rear end N64 controllers with "slow mo" toggle that spams Start over and over and getting ready for combat

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

dead genre..... almost as bad as point-and-click adventures!!!

:( I like to point and click :'(

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think more turn based games should have combos you can setup, I like when they do that

Lemme knock a dude into position to slam another dude into them then aoe nuke the both of them or whatever, that stuff rules

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like real time with pausing because it feels like a good middle ground between real time being too fast for me to keep up with, and turn based feeling too slow to me. My lizard brain has a difficult time with a lot of the traditional combat mechanics of RPGs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

ranking bioware games on their gay content is like ranking KFC on their vegan options: they theoretically exist but why would you do this

I actually liked the gay male options in Inquisition fwiw. Bull and Dorian are fun.

Edit:god loving damnit should have refreshed the page.

Edit2: I like rtwp that has gambits cause I really enjoy setting up ai conditionals and then only directly controlling one character/big high cost stuff as my AI pawns do my bidding. Makes my dumb rear end feel smart.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 14, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think my beef with rtwp is that my brain hates anytime devs encourage/expect me to moderate my own difficulty in games beyond selecting an initial difficulty. rtwp is always going to be easier the more Pause you use for obvious reasons so i always feel like i'm playing worse when i don't pause constantly. i know a lot of people like that sort of freedom to dictate their own pace or difficulty but for me it just makes me second guess my own playstyle choices or think the game is balanced poorly/weirdly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its kind of the same reason i absolutely can not play RTSes, my brain just goes into the "i should be doing something right now" mode and can't just set up autoattacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think more turn based games should have combos you can setup, I like when they do that

Lemme knock a dude into position to slam another dude into them then aoe nuke the both of them or whatever, that stuff rules

I Believe In Larian.