Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Total Meatlove posted:

The UK Christmas this year was a soft reboot and so might be worth a watch, fell between Australia and the US quality wise, Noah Kumar could be polarising as a host but brings a lot more of the fun, jocular style.

The trouble with the UK xmas one was that there weren't any actual good at Lego people there. I was just left thinking that Horne isn't as funny without his format and jesus christ what does sophie ellis bextor's husband look like if both her kids look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh heck I forgot to post my Xmas special thoughts:

Cute first episode. Robin Thicke can gently caress off but Boone is great. It’s so awesome he got a job at Lego! Everyone else was lots of fun. Snowman/carrot and scared ornaments were both great designs, loved when everything fell out of the latter immediately. lmao that Cheryl and Dom only won the distance challenge because everything flew off except the plate. Boone and Robin’s was the better aesthetic/story imo but they both looked pretty nice

Second very fun, full of nonsense. Leslie is such a delight, RIP. I’m glad Mel got his redemption, he did a great job. Boone and Robin’s was a little boring but the wreath was great and the performance speaks for itself. Really liked the steampunk one. Not a lot more to say here, it’s funny when they break and stuff. I’m watching these specials while home for Christmas and my mum kept getting annoyed when they would put stuff in the middle at first instead of on the side. Correct winner.

Got distracted during the third ep when my train got cancelled. The board game is great!!!! The lemur thing ain’t so hot. Castle is a bit poo poo too. The last one was a little low-effort but the pitch was great. It definitely deserved to win over Robin and Boone’s thing. Wait I just remembered I was probed during the Jeffrey meltdown how am I even going to post this? Boone’s snow globe is gonna be so cool if he nails the movement. I still have no idea who this Finesse guy is. Yeah the Boone one is fuckin awesome, definitely the best. Mel and Leslie’s is decent but the trunk is a bit plain. Finesse and Natalie’s characters look great and I think it would have looked excellent with the sign, shame. Miami one definitely isn’t the best build but I really like the backdrop and I think it worked the best with the snow added. Best one won of course. Fun specials!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Unkempt posted:

The trouble with the UK xmas one was that there weren't any actual good at Lego people there. I was just left thinking that Horne isn't as funny without his format and jesus christ what does sophie ellis bextor's husband look like if both her kids look like that.

They each got an expert though?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh I didn’t realize there’s a new version of the UK one. I don’t dislike Nish, and always up for Horne. I guess it must be under a different listing on tvdb as the original looked like it was marked as having 2 seasons only. I shall investigate, thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I ended up skipping through most the new UK one too, but wanted to see the end as we were trying to work out where it was filmed. Didn’t look like the US set, closer to AU, thought maybe they took the set to London while not being used for filming down there…

Nope, Poland. Was not expecting that.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Oh wow, thanks. That tempers my enthusiasm for a potential new series with Nish hosting if they didn't even bother to make their own set.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
A lot of work to build it for a one off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think the hope was that it wasn’t just a one off and a full series being shot but I’m guessing not. The UK format of being more kid based and not proper builders doesn’t interest me in the slightest anyway so no loss here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yessss so hyped. Exactly what I was hoping for now they have a whole bunch of known good teams in the archive and everyone naturally wanting to know who the best between them is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L7kmkdtAbY

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yessss so hyped. Exactly what I was hoping for now they have a whole bunch of known good teams in the archive and everyone naturally wanting to know who the best between them is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L7kmkdtAbY

lmao, loving Kale is back

missing a few names like jackson but otherwise that's a great lineup

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 11, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jackson and Alex came up a few times in the IG comments, people say they have a big exhibition in the works at the moment. So a shame they’re not there, but for a great reason at least. Maybe they’ll swing by for an episode?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are the winners from Season 1 back? Because I feel like no one has been as good since

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda. Henry from that team is paired with Sarah who was with Fleur in s3. Cade isn’t there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kinda. Henry from that team is paired with Sarah who was with Fleur in s3. Cade isn’t there.

Oh, you know what, I didn't see the Australia in there. I thought this was a U.S. series.

The U.S. is probably at the point they should just do a "grandmasters" series because the well seems to be dry on good builders here. It was pretty bad last year.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm by far the most excited for that team. Sarah and fleur had great ideas but couldn't execute too well, so Henry + Sarah could be awesome. Or just fail to complement each other. Who knows!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

There is also a Finnish version of this show, hosted by the same guy who is our local Taskmaster with some dude who works at LEGO as a creative lead.

The second season just started and it has dropped under-18 yo. teams.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've figured out why AU is so much better than US: Hamish actually wants to be there. He's hosting a show. On the other hand, Will Arnett - whom I enjoy otherwise - doesn't really seem to want to be there. He's playing a character who's hosting a show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Grand Masters has been so good and Hamish is constantly hilarious. Good job finding someone who can remain stoic during the eliminations when everyone else is a blubbering mess too.

Something that amused me is on Bilsy’s twitch stream they all talk about how they want less Hamish on screen and more building, it’s like my dudes you’re in too deep and if the show didn’t have that balance it’d never be as popular as it is.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah Hamish is just doing improv the whole time and its loving great.

Finals Spoilers
S&O's build was by far the best of any season. When they connected everything you could see the moment when the other teams were like yeah we lost

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Still catching up but can't stop thinking about that oscillating fan.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Is there a way for US goons to watch LM Aus?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Habibi posted:

Is there a way for US goons to watch LM Aus?

Tubi on your Roku?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
LM Aus plays on the nigh-ungoogleable Channel 9:
https://www.9now.com.au/lego-masters/season-1

You'll need to make an account (it's free, just a hoop to jump through), and you may need a VPN, I dunno. Also for me personally, their video player just won't work unless you disable your adblocker.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching the Aussie version. Really good stuff. Just got to the episode where the really cocky guy tries t build a 1/8th scale Delorean and :lmao:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

HootTheOwl posted:

Tubi on your Roku?

Score! Thanks!

Who is this clown in the red suit. "People have used the word...DILF." Which people? Had they been hit in the head?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

Watching the Aussie version. Really good stuff. Just got to the episode where the really cocky guy tries t build a 1/8th scale Delorean and :lmao:

Kale & Bilsy are such phenomenal season 1 characters. It's frankly pretty cool to see someone go big and fail horribly and realize how excellent everyone else is at nailing time management vs scale.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

Kale & Bilsy are such phenomenal season 1 characters. It's frankly pretty cool to see someone go big and fail horribly and realize how excellent everyone else is at nailing time management vs scale.

It was a wonderful reveal about halfway through the build when the brickman said "Yeah, we actually did a car about that size once. It took 7 people over a hundred hours."

:lol: they did it again in the very next episode. "Kale scale". I think I must have missed in their intro how they knew each other because I only remember that Kale is some hotshot social media Lego guy (or so he claims). Usually, when it's a strong designer/weak helper team, the helper is just along for the ride and has no idea what the build will go like. But this dude seems to know every time that they're loving up and he just goes along with it, grumbling that they're loving up the whole way. Put your foot down, you pushover! He's acting like he's a mercenary that Kale hired just as another pair of hands for the show.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 15, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
AUS Season 1 finale thoughts:

3 very cool builds. I think the space battle is the weakest of the 3, which is crazy because it's awesome. Ultimately though I hate the necessary evil of the transparent bricks to gain 3 dimensions. I wish there was a better way, but these are top builders using them, so there probably isn't.

Theme park is excellent. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego puts out an expandable theme park kit series that's a lot like this. In the end, it is a bit predictable for a final build, but the fact that it moves makes it special.

Poseidon vs. Sea Serpent is my favorite of the 3. It looks like an action movie scene in static. The boat is icing on the cake that adds so much chaos.

The frontrunners actually converted on the win, which I feel like is somewhat rare in these reality competition shows. Most shows allow a lot more time on the grand finale contest, and it levels the playing field between contestants who are really good at time management and those who aren't. Project Runway would be like "OK, final 2 or 3, we'll see you in a loving month. Go home and make a whole collection." All of a sudden the contestants who have been kicking rear end the whole season are losing in the finals.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Jackson and Alex came up a few times in the IG comments, people say they have a big exhibition in the works at the moment. So a shame they’re not there, but for a great reason at least. Maybe they’ll swing by for an episode?

Yeah they have a big exhibition which is on at a local museum. I'm gonna have to take an afternoon off work and walk down to it.

Also loving hell that finale build was astounding. I loved how both this one and the castle/drawbridge/Dragon one had Brickman doing his best to dissuade them from it because he thought it would fail, only to be gobsmacked when they manage to pull it off.

And yes, Hamish is a national treasure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like how in AUS they start with a couple of non-elimination episodes instead of deploying their non-eliminations for drama randomly throughout the season in the US one. Gives the brickman some time to evaluate the teams better and give them fairer shakes in the elimination episodes.

Also this host is great

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The single hanging brick challenge in AUS Season 2 might be the best episode of either show. These builds are loving insane, even the solo builder crushes it.

Edit: Oh I didn't realize how small the solo build is. OK maybe only having one builder was a huge impediment here.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 16, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Finally watched the season 3 finale and wow, the deer/wolves build is incredible. I usually don't like brick built people but the animals work so drat well

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Senor Tron posted:

And yes, Hamish is a national treasure.

God I hope this is really the case?

My wife and I became fans of Hamish and Andy after watching Lego masters and tracked down everything they've done but have always had a worrying suspicion that they're regarded like the Australian version Ant and Dec in their home land

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

God I hope this is really the case?

My wife and I became fans of Hamish and Andy after watching Lego masters and tracked down everything they've done but have always had a worrying suspicion that they're regarded like the Australian version Ant and Dec in their home land

They're both popular, but on an individual level Hamish more so.

It helps that their reputation for being nice dudes seems upheld by tons of people.

I've just started listening to Hamish's podcast on being a dad where he interviews other dads and up to now it's so dang wholesome.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 1, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One of the grandpas from season 3, Kerry Woo died this past Sunday.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finished up Season 3 AUS. Realllllll strong Top 4 there. Didn't agree with Brickman on the last team in the finals over the one he dropped. Despite everyone seemingly pretending the opposite, that swing motion was pathetic.

3 very different builds in the finals. I think the right team won (poo poo they must have won half the weeks)

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

Finished up Season 3 AUS. Realllllll strong Top 4 there. Didn't agree with Brickman on the last team in the finals over the one he dropped. Despite everyone seemingly pretending the opposite, that swing motion was pathetic.

3 very different builds in the finals. I think the right team won (poo poo they must have won half the weeks)

I think it's my favorite season of any of the shows - the top 4 were delivering great concepts pretty much the entire time. And yeah, the winners were incredible. Their talents were just enabled by the unlimited bricks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, something else about Season 3. Brickman sometimes talks about how he builds the scenes and landscapes they compete on, and I'm sure he doesn't do it alone and has tons of time, but good lord the tree for the semifinals is astonishing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

His YouTube channel shows timelapses of big builds, it’s all done by a crew working off of laptop plans and he’s not involved in that aspect from what I’ve seen. Some of the contestants in the past have been employees of his before too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

His YouTube channel shows timelapses of big builds, it’s all done by a crew working off of laptop plans and he’s not involved in that aspect from what I’ve seen. Some of the contestants in the past have been employees of his before too.

Oh, these are cool. I wish they were longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irlJRPFc-0o