Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

malapropos, while seeing if Robert Iler had social media, there was an article about how Sirico actively protected him on set while he was a kid, and called himself "uncle Tony"

I'm starting to think he wasn't actually acting as Paulie, he just swapped his name

e:

quote:

Iler continued, “Once we did the second or third episode, Tony Sirico just came over to me and said, ‘Hey, uh, if anyone ever… bothers you, or anybody says anything, you tell Uncle Tony, okay?’ And that’s how I felt in loving school, too.”

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've told this story in the thread before but I used to live near Tony in Brooklyn and see him at the bodega up the corner. He'd always give me a "Hey, how you doin' kid?" despite me being obviously in my thirties.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

AJ with an opportunity to do the funniest thing possible.

Choppy skies today sir

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've told this story in the thread before but I used to live near Tony in Brooklyn and see him at the bodega up the corner. He'd always give me a "Hey, how you doin' kid?" despite me being obviously in my thirties.

Were his wingtips always on point?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
His hair always looked like that regardless of what he was wearing or what time of day.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have zero anecdotes about the man, but it makes me feel good to know that he took the time to treat people like that in his day to day life. it always sucks to find out someone you like on a show actually kinda sucks off-set. i guess he did have the whole mafia thing and likely did bad things then but people can change

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tony Sirico taught us many valuable lessons, such as,"Don't be an rear end in a top hat, my friend," and I think we can learn a lot from that :hai:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

ProperCoochie posted:

with great sadness I must share this

https://twitter.com/phishLL/status/1656609787646287872?s=20

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have zero anecdotes about the man, but it makes me feel good to know that he took the time to treat people like that in his day to day life. it always sucks to find out someone you like on a show actually kinda sucks off-set. i guess he did have the whole mafia thing and likely did bad things then but people can change

He gets into his history in this amazing interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxddINwarJk

- "Did you, uh, did you kill?"
- "Did I *what*?"

He also gets into his fears of being alone, and I can definitely see how that got channeled into Paulie's character

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cannot believe chris turned out to be the woke one

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmHAvgEBnsk

This is the kind of stuff he’s been doing while she’s excitedly retweeting idiots and lunatics.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmHAvgEBnsk

This is the kind of stuff he’s been doing while she’s excitedly retweeting idiots and lunatics.

Anytime you hear Imperioli talk out of character it becomes even more apparent what an amazing piece of work Christopher was. To make such a convincing fully realized character that is so diametrically opposed to yourself is really impressive.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ishamael posted:

Anytime you hear Imperioli talk out of character it becomes even more apparent what an amazing piece of work Christopher was. To make such a convincing fully realized character that is so diametrically opposed to yourself is really impressive.

James Gandolfini too, all you ever hear about him was that he was the nicest guy in the world who would apologize to people on set after he had to raise his voice or worse filming scenes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Another Bill posted:

James Gandolfini too, all you ever hear about him was that he was the nicest guy in the world who would apologize to people on set after he had to raise his voice or worse filming scenes.

I bet he could have beaten the typecast eventually if he lived. It helps that his speaking voice is pretty different from his tony voice (at least after season 1)

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Speaking of Gandolfini's career, is that TV movie remake of 12 Angry Men starring him any good?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

the weirdest about thing hearing them out of character was hearing that accent get cranked from 11 down to 2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1657794404432658434?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well she hadn't seen it. :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No idea why Twitter is censoring that on the link, but the site is basically broken at this point

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
“Boy that Cypher guy sure looks familiar…”

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Luff posted:

Speaking of Gandolfini's career, is that TV movie remake of 12 Angry Men starring him any good?

I remember thinking it was great but also kind of pointless with the original being so perfect already.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its so hilarious how the zenith of television drama is such a cartoonish comedy so much of the time. Tony and Furio intimidating Dr. Kennedy, the whole thing with Junior's reverence for him based solely on his name, and the :smuggo: face on Junior after Dr. Kennedy comes to see him after the shake down. Its just gold.

So perfectly on brand for Christopher to flip at Adriana after she tells him about blowing Penn while they were discussing past sex partners.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

No idea why Twitter is censoring that on the link, but the site is basically broken at this point

It’s anti Italian discrimination

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There were so so so many gay jokes in the Vito arc, but the most amazing one was Phil literally coming out of the closet to kill him.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
When he was always talking about greasing the union who knew that's what he meant?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"I had him pegged the whole time... and now all my guys want head!"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

There were so so so many gay jokes in the Vito arc, but the most amazing one was Phil literally coming out of the closet to kill him.

Turn that off!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

theflyingexecutive posted:

This means he’s actually gay!! (Dumbest theory ever imo)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can see why people have the theory that Phil is closeted if you read into it enough

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's more that in twenty years in prison he probably did a few things he's ashamed of and it manifests itself in his hatred. His awful wife sure doesn't help.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His wife seems to be a bigger piece of poo poo than he is, somehow.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She starts yelling about their tailor being blind "Think about that!" while Phil is trying to discuss funeral arrangements with Vito's widow.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can see why people have the theory that Phil is closeted if you read into it enough

Chase himself basically thinks he was repressed/latent. Also, lol at the bodybuilding clip. I'd forgotten about that!

https://youtu.be/dBh9Ohn4df0?t=48

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
My faith is shaken enough in Chase (knowing some of the ideas he wanted to do that didn’t make the cut) that I’m essentially willing to disregard whatever his read is in favour of my own :shrug:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Futanari Damacy posted:

My faith is shaken enough in Chase (knowing some of the ideas he wanted to do that didn’t make the cut) that I’m essentially willing to disregard whatever his read is in favour of my own :shrug:

Yeah, I hear you. If watching the fan service and caricatures in "The Many Saint of Newark" doesn't shake your belief in authorial intentionalism, nothing will!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

It's more that in twenty years in prison he probably did a few things he's ashamed of

jacked off in a tissue?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

No, he ate grilled cheese off of a radiator. See Vito was fat. Also it was steamed and not grilled, which makes it even more repugnant.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cant imagine prison radiators are very hot so that sandwich was probably out for hours in proximity to a toilet too

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

covidstomper58 posted:

No, he ate grilled cheese off of a radiator. See Vito was fat. Also it was steamed and not grilled, which makes it even more repugnant.

He compromised

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Steamed cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s a Jersey expression