Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

4d3d3d posted:

I think they felt justified in new oil exploration (among other things) because of the IRA, which was met with a lot of empty-headed triumphalism. Political capital

I thought Biden was just playing up the whole having Irish ancestry thing, I didn't know he's digging for oil with the IRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Don’t forget IRA includes massive increases in tax credits for pumping co2 underground to use to extract more oil lol

that's minuscule compared to the massively positive effects of the bill

like im as cynical as anyone here but IRA is very very good. the problem is it's just baby steps and way too late

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

like im as cynical as anyone here but IRA is very very good. the problem is it's just baby steps and way too late

lol you're wrong as gently caress. the IRA will most likely do nothing to help the climate, with a significant chance of making things worse.

please tell us, what's the part of IRA that's "very very good"? The EV tax credits? 45Q? the funding for blue hydrogen? the ITC? the PTC? what?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

you're a dumbass

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:goofy:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've had several arguments about the inflation reduction act i just abandon because I'm too lazy to look at the math of it's supposed benefits

I do know that it was represented as overly optimistic because all of the fossil fuel industry handouts worked into the bill weren't actually quantified. Just undefined unspecific future amounts of deals, permitting and drilling in exchange for what everyone points to which is a non-zero amount of immediate positive actions.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:cawg:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

There was only ever one good IRA

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

lol you're wrong as gently caress. the IRA will most likely do nothing to help the climate, with a significant chance of making things worse.

please tell us, what's the part of IRA that's "very very good"? The EV tax credits? 45Q? the funding for blue hydrogen? the ITC? the PTC? what?

https://www.evergreenaction.com/blog/evergreen-explains-the-climate-impact-of-the-inflation-reduction-act

quote:

According to an analysis from Senate Majority Leader Schumer’s office, the IRA will help cut climate pollution by 40% below 2005 levels by 2030. The Biden Administration has calculated a similar 40% estimate. These estimates have also been corroborated by independent experts. One analysis, conducted by the Rhodium Group, offers a 37.5% reduction as its central estimate for emissions reduction by 2030. A second analysis, conducted by the firm Energy Innovation, found a central estimate of a 39% reduction in emissions by 2030, and that “further, for every ton of emissions increases generated by IRA oil and gas provisions, at least 24 tons of emissions are avoided by the other provisions.” And a third analysis, by the Rapid Energy Policy Evaluation and Analysis Toolkit (REPEAT) Project at Princeton University, found that the IRA would deliver a 41% reduction in emissions by 2030.

Furthermore, expert analysts also point to this bill delivering massive economic and public health benefits. The IRA would reduce inflation, according to Moody’s Analytics and other economic experts, and help Americans cut their energy costs by $200-$1000 per year by 2030, according to Resources for the Future and Rhodium. An analysis commissioned by the BlueGreen Alliance, from the Political Economy Research Institute (PERI) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, found that the bill would grow the workforce by 9 million jobs over the coming decade. And the aforementioned Energy Innovation analysis also showed the IRA would help prevent up to 3,900 premature deaths by 2030.

These analyses show that the IRA, evaluated as a whole, will deliver enormous progress towards meeting U.S. climate goals, and in building a just and thriving clean energy economy. The IRA, combined with greater federal executive action and continued leadership from state and local governments, could put the U.S. on the path to meeting President Biden’s target of a 50-52% reduction in climate pollution by 2030.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gotta be honest "rhodium group" & "Blue green" sound like slightly ominous front organizations

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

quote:

According to an analysis from Senate Majority Leader Schumer’s office, the IRA will help cut climate pollution by 40% below 2005 levels by 2030. The Biden Administration has calculated a similar 40% estimate.
lol

quote:

These estimates have also been corroborated by independent experts. One analysis, conducted by the Rhodium Group, offers a 37.5% reduction as its central estimate for emissions reduction by 2030.
lmao:

quote:

Daniel H. Rosen (born 1967) is an American business executive, academic and author. He is an expert on the Chinese economy, and writes and publishes on the topic of China's marketplace. A contributor to public debate, he has advised key policy-shaping government bodies.[1][2][3]

Rosen is a partner at Rhodium Group, LLC, a New York-based advisory firm which he founded in 2003.[4] He is also a visiting fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a nonpartisan think tank based in Washington, D.C.[5] In addition, he is an adjunct professor at Columbia University, where he has taught a graduate seminar on the Chinese marketplace at the School of International and Public Affairs since 2001.[6] Rosen is also a Member of the Council on Foreign Relations and Board Member of the National Committee on United States-China Relations.[6]

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this is one of my favorite slight of hand:

quote:

puts the U.S. on a path to roughly 40% emissions reductions by 2030

notice how it doesn't say "the IRA may reduce emissions by 40%" ?

the 40% number includes all existing reductions too that's not saying the IRA may reduce the emissions by 40%, that's saying in the best possible post IRA world emissions may be reduced by 40%, the optimistic scenario for the IRA only contributes a fraction to that number.

and that's still on a baseline of assuming things like for 45q assuming no oil & gas companies will do EOR (bad for climate) but everyone will max out the CDR (good for climate) credits (and that it will all work with no leaks of course).

meanwhile the oil and gas companies are saying "we're so excited to expand EOR thanks to the increased 45q credits" (bad for climate)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Well, at least someone is doing something, right? :unsmith:

:smith:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently rhodium is tied to Blackrock & blue-green alliance is ran by ex Obama admins & democrat commerce department people.

So idk probably not entirely fake news but :shrug:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1657792188649025538

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Look, it is theoretically possible that with careful oversight, enforcement, self sacrifice from patriotic private industry and the public, and cooperation from all branches of government at every level that every dollar will be used with 150% efficiency for the stated goals of the bill. This will have the effect described.

Since we can't know that won't happen we can only assume that it must or else we're left brown eco racist utopian wrecker doomers

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've learned from a lot of experience having my hopes dashed by politics that any thing that says it "may" do something definitely wont.

If there is no mechanisms to actually enforce something, it may as well just be wishes.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

maybe is just a passive no

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Koirhor posted:

I am completely convinced that capitalism is the great filter and that humanity will just be another failed species among millions of others in the universe. Just enjoy what you can while you can I guess.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I love being put on a little path to roughly

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i've seen projections that have turned out to be wildly optimistic over and over in my professional life, whether it's about costs or time or people or just about anything you can imagine. i've seen the same with people and personal projects. i very much doubt that i'm the only one, and honestly i'd say that if anything they're the norm

but this bill with immediate negative consequences and positive consequences later that may or may not happen and may or may not even be possible depending on technology and which is filled with weasel words and has no real way to ensure the positive consequences happen will definitely achieve the most optimistic projections

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Remember when the baseline used to be 1990 levels instead of 2005? Pepperidge Farm loving remembers.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Pepperidge farm implicated in illegal methane disposal, settles out of court for $5,000 & the CEO pinky swearing to not do it again.

Abnormally high cringe levels determined to be unrelated

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Koirhor posted:

I am completely convinced that capitalism is the great filter and that humanity will just be another failed species among millions of others in the universe. Just enjoy what you can while you can I guess.

This guys page was linked in the thread a while back, you may have read this article but if not check it out:

http://www.paulchefurka.ca/Fermi.html

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
was there someone here really defending the IRA? I shouldn't check this thread anymore

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

we don't need thatcherites in here anyway

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hubbert posted:

me, investigating the environmental impact of tires

the invention of the wheel and its consequences have been a disaster for all species

Not having the wheel didn't stop mesoamerican civilizations from destroying themselves through environmental degradation

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This guys page was linked in the thread a while back, you may have read this article but if not check it out:

maximum power principle, baybeeee :coolspot:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

4d3d3d posted:

was there someone here really defending the IRA? I shouldn't check this thread anymore

Thorn is still D&D at heart

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Personally I'm looking forward to the extinction of coffee within the next decade or two lol. That's gonna be hilarious.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Gravid Topiary posted:

if you evacuate down highway 43 i'll give you a cheery wave to build your morale up, assuming i'm not actively on fire at the time
let me check the government wildfire map around my place:

ftfy

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

excited to try some single estate Yukon coffee

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wheeee posted:

excited to try some single estate Yukon coffee

im all about that Ilex vomitoria

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i've seen projections that have turned out to be wildly optimistic over and over in my professional life, whether it's about costs or time or people or just about anything you can imagine. i've seen the same with people and personal projects. i very much doubt that i'm the only one, and honestly i'd say that if anything they're the norm

but this bill with immediate negative consequences and positive consequences later that may or may not happen and may or may not even be possible depending on technology and which is filled with weasel words and has no real way to ensure the positive consequences happen will definitely achieve the most optimistic projections

Hofstadter's law consumes all

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I have no sources or reasoning for this beyond gut feeling and my general comprehension of the world, but the U.S. is not going to cut emissions by 40% over the next seven years. If it does happen it won't be because of the IRA but because of a massive and sustained campaign of people blowing up fossile fuel infrastructure.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

harder, wetter, faster, hotter

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Just a Moron posted:

I have no sources or reasoning for this beyond gut feeling and my general comprehension of the world, but the U.S. is not going to cut emissions by 40% over the next seven years. If it does happen it won't be because of the IRA but because of a massive and sustained campaign of people blowing up fossile fuel infrastructure.

Pff, are you kidding? It'll be easy. Our finest accountants are already on the case inventing entirely new climate instruments to ensure that the US's stated emissions hit every target set.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Just a Moron posted:

an odd way to refer to global thermonuclear war, but i suppose it is technically accurate that it'll be done by people and it will blow up fossil fuel infrastructure

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
this thread is where hope comes to die