Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Khanstant posted:

Wish I had an instrument or item to turn storms in and off at will. They aren't as bad in TotK, but still, sometimes you need it to rain or be dry and it'd be sick to do a quest to gain the power to control rain or okay a song of storm/destorm

give me my goddamn ocarina

seriously though, a playable musical instrument is maybe the single thing keeping this from being the ultimate zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what the heck does this icon mean on the world map? It's above lookout landing, in the southwest corner (not the northwest where the tower is).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I think that's just an island

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deki posted:

I think that's just an island

I've looked and haven't seen anything in that location, unless there's stuff so far up it's out of draw distance?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tunicate posted:

what the heck does this icon mean on the world map? It's above lookout landing, in the southwest corner (not the northwest where the tower is).

it's a special type of sky island but I don't know what purpose it serves

Tunicate posted:

I've looked and haven't seen anything in that location

they're pretty small

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it’s an island

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Item duplication glitch

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7232777205200244011

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think those are the islands that have tablets in the middle with ancient Hyrulian text or whatever? I've found a few of them but I haven't yet found any clues as to how to be able to read them or what they do for you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SettingSun posted:

No comment section anywhere is worth reading. Hell even SA is questionable.

That said though there is a growing population of people who consider that sort of performance a requirement and not a luxury.

yeah, i remember when the game leaked and people were like "yeah its cool but sometimes these frames are unforgivable, the switch wasnt ready for this" and i was preemptively tempering my expectations

and then i got to play it for real and i realized that the frame rate and occasional frame dips in busy areas were exactly the same as botw, and they were just used to PC gaming with high end computers.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Game is excellent. Scratches the same itch games like Prey or Death Stranding do in its problem solving. It's more or less Little Big Planet/Garry's Mod mushed up with Elden Ring.

Speaking of rings: no ring on the shrines.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

yeah, i remember when the game leaked and people were like "yeah its cool but sometimes these frames are unforgivable, the switch wasnt ready for this" and i was preemptively tempering my expectations

and then i got to play it for real and i realized that the frame rate and occasional frame dips in busy areas were exactly the same as botw, and they were just used to PC gaming with high end computers.
The biggest frame drops I've noticed are whenever the game needs to make something transparent, so like climbing into a leafy tree will make it chug.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im climbing a wall and then it starts raining. i notice some building materials nearby so i use them to build a ladder. then i accidentally drop the ladder off a cliff. by this time ive spent so much time building the ladder that the rain stopped. congrats to me :confuoot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Augus posted:

After the second phenomenon finished I found something about it in the starter town, I haven't followed that quest yet. Eveery time I try to head that direction I get sidetracked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In BotW on WiiU the only place I had truly bad framerate was fighting moblins on Death Mountain. For some reason making them go floppy (second swing of a two-hander for example) while embers were on-screen turned it into a slideshow. Don't know if Switch had the same issue or if that's re-creatable in some way here.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BotW on the WiiU had really bad performance whenever you activated magnesis or were fighting too many monsters at once.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I do kinda agree that, while the game runs much better than BotW and it's a miracle that it runs this well, Nintendo shouldn't charge 70 bucks for a game that the console ultimately struggles to the maximum to run.

Also, about those islands with tablets in Ancient Hyrulean, they're for a quest. I really recommend you take pics so you don't have to go back.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Bruceski posted:

After the second phenomenon finished I found something about it in the starter town, I haven't followed that quest yet. Eveery time I try to head that direction I get sidetracked.

Yea you need to finish a phenomenon and lookout point explains them to you. Wish I hadn't found a few beforehand, but so goes.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I made it inside the storm. That was a hell of a journey.

Can't believe they charge $70 for this game.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also, about those islands with tablets in Ancient Hyrulean, they're for a quest. I really recommend you take pics so you don't have to go back.

The pics I thought to take beforehand didn't detect for the quest for me

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Blaziken386 posted:

The 1.1 patch improved performance a lot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As much as I'm loving this game I don't think it should get a free pass on the performance front. The Switch can't handle it unless you're fighting a single enemy in a cave.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually started TotK yet but is the performance worse than BotW? I did not have a problem with BotW even if it hitched occasionally.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hateno Village question
does your botw save affect your house? My save for some reason doesn't work, my old horses didn't show up on the stables system, but it kinda looks like Zelda took your house and threw away your cool swords collection??

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Popete posted:

I haven't actually started TotK yet but is the performance worse than BotW? I did not have a problem with BotW even if it hitched occasionally.

Naw it's better than BotW.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
spent like 20 minutes bashing my head against a puzzle in the zora dungeon only to realize that the game wasn't letting me complete the puzzle because i hadn't actually pressed the dungeon start button. Apparently you can't just intuit that you need to fix the water pumps, you need a mysterious voice to TELL you that before you can fix them, otherwise Sidon will just stand around like an idiot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Totk runs way smoother than botw dreamed of. But totk also lets you press a button to tank fps to 20 and make a car with rockets.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Both of the games' performances are excellent. I've only had noticeable dips in a) Korok Forest in BotW, for a sec then it's fine b) when there were like ten enemies, lots of assets AND a bomb arrow explosion in BotW, and c) once, for one second while skydiving in TotK.

I literally don't believe people when they claim to noice the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I mean, I think they think they notice a difference, but a movie is 24fps and no one claims those look choppy.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

Hateno Village question
does your botw save affect your house? My save for some reason doesn't work, my old horses didn't show up on the stables system, but it kinda looks like Zelda took your house and threw away your cool swords collection??
Yes, but as far as I can tell the only carry-over is the framed picture of all the champions if you finished that DLC. I wonder if the house is still there if you never built the house in BotW? There's other things that tie into the house in TotK so I assume it would still be there.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I literally don't believe people when they claim to noice the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I mean, I think they think they notice a difference, but a movie is 24fps and no one claims those look choppy.
I've played games on other consoles that allow you to select between 30fps and 60fps and the difference is immediately noticeable. 24fps in movies looks fine between there's motion blur, I guess?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The idea you can’t tell the difference between 30 and 60fps is some of the most hilarious gaslighting that’s ever happened. You can certainly tell from the other direction, in that movies played at 60fps look weird as heck, and audiences don’t want to see it

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

The idea you can’t tell the difference between 30 and 60fps is some of the most hilarious gaslighting that’s ever happened. You can certainly tell from the other direction, in that movies played at 60fps lood weird as heck, and audiences don’t want to see it

Yeah I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that claim

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

they're pretty small

Take a picture of the text of them whenever you manage to land on one. You'll need em eventually

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Whenever it plays the animation for a shrine entrance opening up, all I can see is Goatse.

Every. Single. Time.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ToTK is delightful but I can't help but imagine how much better it would look and play on a Series X. I wonder if the next Nintendo console will be at least in that ballpark.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also screw the old Hateno house, Dream House is where's it at

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MorningMoon posted:

Hateno Village question

That's what happened with me, and my old save worked.

Holy poo poo the Natak shrine. In the sky, using the catapult to throw you into the giant Death Star, and then positioning the globe inside to move so that you can get the crystal out of the Death Star and back over to the island. I could not get to work, and even when I would line the hole up just right, wiggling the crystal to unattach them would always unalign it. I finally got it after like 30 minutes, and I got very lucky because the crystal fell right into the base of the catapult, if it had landed on the catapult and flown away, I would have lost it.

Is there a better way to unattach things, so that you're not wiggling absolutely everything?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm starting to think that it's like supertasting or tetrachromacy or soemthing w/r/t framerate issues. My brain doesn't perceive frames above 60.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

ToTK is delightful but I can't help but imagine how much better it would look and play on a Series X. I wonder if the next Nintendo console will be at least in that ballpark.

No way they're ditching the handheld thing, so their next thing will presumably be inline with the handheld computers like Steam Deck

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

stev posted:

As much as I'm loving this game I don't think it should get a free pass on the performance front. The Switch can't handle it unless you're fighting a single enemy in a cave.

I haven't noticed any issues on handheld mode

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's so easy to underestimate how high stuff is in this game. thought a sky island was close above me and I could just reach it with a hot air balloon but I couldn't even get close. recalling some falling rubble barely got me halfway. after a while I managed to get just close enough to see a Thunder Gleeok circling above it and realized I should maybe leave this for later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

That's what happened with me, and my old save worked.

Holy poo poo the Natak shrine. In the sky, using the catapult to throw you into the giant Death Star, and then positioning the globe inside to move so that you can get the crystal out of the Death Star and back over to the island. I could not get to work, and even when I would line the hole up just right, wiggling the crystal to unattach them would always unalign it. I finally got it after like 30 minutes, and I got very lucky because the crystal fell right into the base of the catapult, if it had landed on the catapult and flown away, I would have lost it.

Is there a better way to unattach things, so that you're not wiggling absolutely everything?

You don't need to wiggle hard, just jiggle the stick quickly in a small little radius. It's not momentum or anything, just detecting rapid alternating inputs.