Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal, you have entered the Linux fugue. Objects in the monitor may appear more aggressive than they are. Getting pissed off and being told your working fix is wrong by people who may also be pissed and wrong is a feature, not a bug. Cunningham's Law is your new best friend, own it. ("the best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer.")

priznat posted:

I have one of those too, it's how I imaged my deck after drive swap.

It is alarming how hot they get when transferring files, lol

Have one like this and I try not use it because it gets too hot to handle. Don't have an infrared camera on-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

Don't have an infrared camera on-hand.

Shameful

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I am above all of your petty arguments about which way is best to transfer files from your PC onto your deck because my deck is my PC.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I am once again petitioning this thread for help setting up Tale of Two Wastelands (Fallout 3/New Vegas) onto a Steam Deck. Anyone have experience with it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Set it up on windows then copy the folders over

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I havent really had to mess with plug-ins or anything but I picked up midnight suns and Im pretty sure I get like 30 minutes of battery life. Ive tried turning everything down to medium, anyone have any tips to get a little more playtime out of it? I dont really care too much about all the graphics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
You shouldnt be getting 30 mins battery life on anything

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you get 30 minutes of battery life, your deck is probably on, actual fire pulling 80W. If you bring up the performance overlay what kind of wattage are you drawing?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If battery life is what you're prioritizing though, general advice is set a wattage limit based on how long you want the battery to last, set your refresh to 40hz, then turn down settings to get to an acceptable level of performance. I don't have Midnight Suns but if it has FSR2 you can crank down the resolution in-game and the text should still be legible. You can also do that with the system level FSR but you won't be able to read poo poo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

DildenAnders posted:

I am once again petitioning this thread for help setting up Tale of Two Wastelands (Fallout 3/New Vegas) onto a Steam Deck. Anyone have experience with it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/up2ag2/managed_to_get_tale_of_two_wastelands_running_on/

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

homeless snail posted:

If you get 30 minutes of battery life, your deck is probably on, actual fire pulling 80W. If you bring up the performance overlay what kind of wattage are you drawing?

I may have not been tracking time correctly while I was playing, turns out it's close to about 1:15-1:30. Looks like battery is about 25W draw, CPU/GPU consistently at around 85C and it does get pretty warm in the middle back part but I guess my hands aren't really too close there.

I don't think I've ever even had to look at this overlay before, I'm probably going to limit the refresh rate and lower the fps to see if i can squeeze a bit more out of it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

:wth:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nam Taf posted:

I am above all of your petty arguments about which way is best to transfer files from your PC onto your deck because my deck is my PC.

The chosen one

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hi everyone, I want to play breath of the wild on my steam deck but I'm a Luddite. What is the best path forward for me?

Edit: I own a switch but I don't really like using it and much prefer the feel of my steam deck. Plus nice having everything in one platform

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Wii U version in CEMU until you get too frustrated to continue trying to get it to work and just go back to playing it on your switch

Edit: https://youtu.be/Iq-pgYlK7Ow

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 14, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Im trying to connect my Deck to a 4K Samsung TV via HDMI. What Im doing is routing it through a USB-C dock: TV to dock via HDMI, then dock to Deck via USB-C.

When it connects, the image is super zoomed in to the point where I can only see like the top left corner of the UI. I dont see any settings on my TV to fix this. My TV normally plays nice with any laptops or external devices. Not sure if theres an easy fix for this.

e: extremely dumb, but found the solution on reddit. You have to connect the deck to the dock to the TV, but the dock cannot be connected to external power. This establishes a regular connection, then you can connect the dock to power. Works.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 15, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what about emulating zelda on pc and then streaming it with moonlight

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Super No Vacancy posted:

what about emulating zelda on pc and then streaming it with moonlight

Works awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wii U BotW also gives native resolution and 40fps support though. It is a gigantic pain to get going though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
well the deck was nice, but this new handheld is just blowing it out of the water

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I can't tell if you're joking or not but a single board 386sx machine with built-in CF reader that can run off battery seems pretty neat.

I don't think it'd run Doom as advertised, but putting Planet X3 on that page tells me the seller knows their market, even if 8bit guy is a shitter.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nancy posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not but a single board 386sx machine with built-in CF reader that can run off battery seems pretty neat.

I don't think it'd run Doom as advertised, but putting Planet X3 on that page tells me the seller knows their market, even if 8bit guy is a shitter.
A second gen 486 version would literally kill gaben.

Yeah it's neat and I think there's a demo vid with wolf 3D

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'd probably be tempted to buy that if it was 386dx. i had really bad experience trying to do things on a 386sx after years of using the family pc which was a 386dx lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

No Turbo button. 0/10

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
An errant rock, plus my $500 insurance deductible, shattered my windshield alongside my dreams of a 2TB Steam Deck for the time being.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ouch. Im glad in my state theres some law where insurance companies are required to replace windshields with no deductible. The windshield companies usually even offer cash or free steaks for using their company. Last time I changed my windshield I got $100 cash.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ouch. I’m glad in my state there’s some law where insurance companies are required to replace windshields with no deductible. The windshield companies usually even offer cash or free steaks for using their company. Last time I changed my windshield I got $100 cash.

drat. I'm super jealous. I could go for a nice steak (or a nice $100).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Annath posted:

An errant rock, plus my $500 insurance deductible, shattered my windshield alongside my dreams of a 2TB Steam Deck for the time being.

That's a hell of an impact. Were you driving when it happened? That'd have scared the poo poo out of me!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

FishMcCool posted:

That's a hell of an impact. Were you driving when it happened? That'd have scared the poo poo out of me!

Yeah, I was going about 45MPH on VA-2 when it happened. Scared the absolute poo poo outta me, I had to pull over and catch my breath.

No idea what it actually was - I didn't actually see the object. The car in front of me was just a normal sedan, not like a work/construction vehicle.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I fell behind on the thread, was there discussion of TotK running on Steam Deck? Is the PC emulation plus moonlight solution actually the preferred one?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah its never gonna run on the deck even as well as it runs on the actual switch hardware

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Bit the bullet and got a 2TB drive from AliExpress because the downside of avoiding file transfer method hell by using my Deck as my PC is that my emails, etc. all take up a lot of space. 512GB is plenty usable if I only have a few games installed, but a couple of Doom/Dota/CSGO-sized games put an end to that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
is there like... a general advice guide on how to use the Steam Deck as your for real PC? bc Id like to retire my desktop since the whole thing + desk + chair takes up so much space and the Deck just tucks under nicely my living room tv

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The general advice seems to be dont.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Detective No. 27 posted:

The general advice seems to be dont.

ok, gotcha. 😬

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some nerd will come tell you thats fake news, ignore their lies

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean, just try using it like that for a while to see if Linux Is Ready for the Desktop

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
In desktop mode, SteamOS updates wipe anything not installed via flatpak so yeah it's pretty fuckin annoying as a "desktop."

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

loquacius posted:

I fell behind on the thread, was there discussion of TotK running on Steam Deck? Is the PC emulation plus moonlight solution actually the preferred one?

Yeah go for that. You can get better frame rates and resolution already. But I'm saving that for a second playthrough in a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It's not my main PC, but I do have my Deck set up at a desk and docked to two monitors for productivity tasks that are more annoying to do on my laptop and its one 1080p screen.

It's fine as long as all of your apps are available as flatpaks. I do also have a couple of Windows-only apps set up through Bottles, and it's a bit clunky, but functional (for example, there might be a solution to this issue, but I have two apps set up through Bottles and pinned to my taskbar. But when I open either of those apps, a new taskbar icon appears instead of using the pinned one). But you don't have to open the apps through Bottles, you can add them to your app launcher just like native apps.

I haven't done anything super CPU-intensive on it yet, but the main difference is just not knowing how everything works in KDE like I do in Windows (although less and less of what used to work in Windows does anymore). Desktop mode is just like any other PC desktop, as long as you have a m/kb setup.

I don't know if I would recommend it if you also want it to be your main AAA gaming machine on a monitor/TV, since the Deck's hardware specs are tuned to 720p/30-60.