Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

"This ancient seal was designed to hold back TEN terrible dragons" :smug: "There is no escape"

*Most intense back slapping and arm wrestling match ensues*

"Impossible!!!!"

Oh the man can do perfectly good, sometimes fantastic, Shonen.

It's just SDS was never interested in being anything other than that at its best.

Now, to be fair Viz isn't 100% clear of this they've cut stuff before with the WSJ app; CSM and Ayakashi Triangle in particular, and I don't think they ever restored the edits they did to OG Dragon Ball, but they are very much the outlier rather than what Kodansha and SE's doing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Started reading Ranma for the first time since I was 15 and talk about nostalgia boobs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speaking of which does Flame of Recca ever stop stripping every female character at every chance?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looks like this series called Kindergarten Wars got picked up by Viz, it's on Mangaplus for me, three chapters a week until we're caught up looks like. Pretty fun first 3 chapters, somewhere between Spy x Family and Buddy Daddies on the slapstick vs violence ratio.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Between Kindergarten Wars and Kill Blue, seems like Sakamoto kicked off a trend. (Not complaining to be clear)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
KW got a laugh out of me both times she immediately executes a guy for answering a question wrong.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

New Gash Bell 2
This witch is going to need a Saifojio to heal that emotional damage.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

That said, if Polar Opposites gets the axe, I might just lose it.

Hey, just wanted to thank you for posting so extremely about this, because I hadn't heard of it and it's pretty completely my poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

New Gash Bell 2

Hoping Witch makes it out ok.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

New Gash Bell 2

this manga is frighteningly good

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hoping Witch makes it out ok.

Hoping Witch Watches the rest of GWitch

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

New Gash Bell 2

this bit is so extremely gash bell humor and i'm glad the man still has it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Raiku is a genius at alternating between humor and serious tension. First half had excellent gags and second half got me on my toes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Witch owns

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man I wish daemons of the shadow realm wasn't on such a poo poo app, it owns

this revelation in ch18 about daemons not casting a shadow makes me wonder about how brutal that initial attack on the village was. was it actually people that were being killed over there, or were they like danji? plus I kinda want to reread now to see if anyone else is missing a shadow

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Two new series premiered today on Manga Plus, and while one is typical shonen (Nue's Exorcist), hoo boy is the other one (My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!) going to be uh, something. Spoiler for the end of the first chapter:

High schooler desperate for a thrill decides to date a yandere

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

"Do Retry" is starting to look like one of those sports mangas that don't give any shits about any technical aspects of the sport and just use it as a vehicle for the story they want to write.

Bit disappointing but hope it works out.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Fabricant 100: This seems like either end-game or an event that is going to essentially change the entire basis of the series. If this is endgame it may take the title of “coolest prematurely cancelled series with a smoking hot older woman” away from Res Hood. Also that last page is absolutely sick. Real cool expression on 100 there.

Sakamoto: This flashback continues to be so good that I’m forgetting that it’s a flashback. It almost feels like this is the story the author actually wanted to tell and the prior part was just to get serialized in Jump. Definitely the best thing running in Jump that isn’t Chainsaw Man, and it’s really close right now.

SpyxFamily: Much like Fabricant, this seems like it could be setting up for a finale or a big shakeup. But considering the popularity and the humor of the series, it’s likely just going to end with no real change to the status quo (not that this is a bad thing in this case, this series could go on forever as a slice of life and I’m fine with it).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm coming around on Tenmaku cinema I think. The position of ghost as screenwriter and possessed MC as director works to give the main character enough creative agency to not make him feel like too much of a fraud. I think some manga work best when it's just the writer nerding out hard about some subject they are into so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Two new series premiered today on Manga Plus, and while one is typical shonen (Nue's Exorcist), hoo boy is the other one (My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!) going to be uh, something. Spoiler for the end of the first chapter:

High schooler desperate for a thrill decides to date a yandere

Exorcist is in Jump proper, while Goosebumps isn't, for whatever that's worth.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Sounds like it is actually he who is trying to Give Himself Goosebumps.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Just noticed that no one posted the link for Shibatarian chapter 4 - https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016125

Spoiler - It's still really good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

"Do Retry" is starting to look like one of those sports mangas that don't give any shits about any technical aspects of the sport and just use it as a vehicle for the story they want to write.

Bit disappointing but hope it works out.

Might get more technical in the actual matches, if I wanted to be optimistic. Right now it's getting things set up, so too much detail might be thought of as an unneeded risk.

A thing that annoys me a bit more right now is the explicitly squeaky-clean nature of the Yakuza outfit in the story. Having them be good guys is important if they're going to be the supporting cast, of course, and making it clear that they're not running drugs or enslaving people eliminates unwanted moral ambiguity, but having them be a criminal organization that only fights in illegal underground boxing shows the strings too much. Especially when a post-war environment provides plenty of non-villainous ways to make money for a criminal organization that can provide plots and conflicts among the characters.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
anyone have any reccs for good reads on the Viz app, preferably from not super ubiquitous mangaka like Ito and Takahashi (nothing wrong with them, but they’re Already on my radar)? Also, are there any noteworthy (or any period) manga you can read on the Viz app with a subscription, like how you can read Fire Punch on the app with a Jump subscription?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Last Celebration posted:

anyone have any reccs for good reads on the Viz app, preferably from not super ubiquitous mangaka like Ito and Takahashi (nothing wrong with them, but they’re Already on my radar)? Also, are there any noteworthy (or any period) manga you can read on the Viz app with a subscription, like how you can read Fire Punch on the app with a Jump subscription?

Gokurakugai, kind of new and monthly so not many chapters but whats there is real good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t find it. Does it have an official name that’s different from that title?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/gokurakugai
Im not a region covered by Viz so i cant check availability on the app, but I do know viz carries it.

Otherwise theres Black Lagoon and Frieren, if you havent already read those.
While ive not read it ive heard good things about insomniacs after school.
Viz also has the Urasawa comics which are always a pro-read. Pluto is very strongly recommended.

Viz's catalogue is pretty wide and of generally decent quality from what i can see, you can probably randomly pick and land on something worth a read.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 15, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, it’s on the Jump app. Thanks for the recommendation! I don’t think the Urasawa stuff is there for free reading though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Last Celebration posted:

“How do we relationship” is on the Viz app and is really good. They’re missing a chunk between chapters 70 and 90 at the moment though.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

I just finished Cross Game on there. It's a slow burn story about love, grief, and baseball.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

If you like horror they've got some stuff by Kazuo Umezu, specifically Drifting Classroom, which originally serialized in the 70s. It follows an elementary school in Japan that one day just completely vanishes. The students and faculty find themselves transported to a vast and seemingly endless wasteland with the school building the only structure. Warning, it is a super bleak story that doesn't pull any punches just because the majority of the cast is little kids.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

“How do we relationship” is on the Viz app and is really good. They’re missing a chunk between chapters 70 and 90 at the moment though.

Oh yeah, I’ve been collecting the physical releases since someone recommended it to me before.

Alacron posted:

I just finished Cross Game on there. It's a slow burn story about love, grief, and baseball.

Tried that, it does seem pretty slow but if it gets more interesting then I’ll try some more, thanks.

muscles like this! posted:

If you like horror they've got some stuff by Kazuo Umezu, specifically Drifting Classroom, which originally serialized in the 70s. It follows an elementary school in Japan that one day just completely vanishes. The students and faculty find themselves transported to a vast and seemingly endless wasteland with the school building the only structure. Warning, it is a super bleak story that doesn't pull any punches just because the majority of the cast is little kids.

Sounds really cool!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Another feather in Dandadan's cap: it pulled off a mid-fight flashback that was good and interesting and has me hungry as gently caress for next Monday's chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Might get more technical in the actual matches, if I wanted to be optimistic. Right now it's getting things set up, so too much detail might be thought of as an unneeded risk.

A thing that annoys me a bit more right now is the explicitly squeaky-clean nature of the Yakuza outfit in the story. Having them be good guys is important if they're going to be the supporting cast, of course, and making it clear that they're not running drugs or enslaving people eliminates unwanted moral ambiguity, but having them be a criminal organization that only fights in illegal underground boxing shows the strings too much. Especially when a post-war environment provides plenty of non-villainous ways to make money for a criminal organization that can provide plots and conflicts among the characters.

I think they are a Gambling Outfit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Fire Force anime is coming back for a third season:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-16/fire-force-gets-3rd-anime-season-original-smartphone-game/.185670

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Coming back to this, about halfway through and man is it good, but I sure wasn’t expecting manga Lord of the Flies with Occasionally hosed Up post-apocalypse stuff. Definitely wasn’t expecting virtually all the adults to mass suicide with a bunch of first graders to look after, seriously what the Christ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yo what the *gently caress* is with the scene in Magi where a random dude shows up and beat Morgiana so hard she can't have children anymore? (????) That came completely out of left field and that is saying something for the series with the random extreme closeup of pierced nipples.

Is that some idiom that didn't translate? It is otherwise incredibly weird and offputting and feels absurdly out of place. Does the series have more stuff like that?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

ImpAtom posted:

Yo what the *gently caress* is with the scene in Magi where a random dude shows up and beat Morgiana so hard she can't have children anymore? (????) That came completely out of left field and that is saying something for the series with the random extreme closeup of pierced nipples.

Is that some idiom that didn't translate? It is otherwise incredibly weird and offputting and feels absurdly out of place. Does the series have more stuff like that?

It's an uncomfortable scene, and one that the anime wisely omits (the entire fight is gone and replaced with an anime-original one instead.) I can't think of any other scenes like that off the top of my head, even though there is some dark content later on.
I think the dude is mainly showboating there, but it's real hosed up. If it's any consolation, though, (vague spoilers) much later in the series, there is speculation on what a possible family with her could look like in the future, which does include children, so I don't think we're meant to take that poo poo literally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beefstew posted:

It's an uncomfortable scene, and one that the anime wisely omits (the entire fight is gone and replaced with an anime-original one instead.) I can't think of any other scenes like that off the top of my head, even though there is some dark content later on.
I think the dude is mainly showboating there, but it's real hosed up. If it's any consolation, though, (vague spoilers) much later in the series, there is speculation on what a possible family with her could look like in the future, which does include children, so I don't think we're meant to take that poo poo literally.

That is kind of a relief. I was just really taken aback, it felt like something from an entirely different series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So with the viz Manga app splitting, I need to subscribe to a second viz plan if I want access to the older library of titles (like the rumiko Takahashi stuff)?