Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

ahahah is that what happened, makes sense now.

yup. the title of ice cream is actually quite regulated by FDA/USDA or something because it has to contain a certain amount of actual cream fat (10%?). they used to be actual "ice cream" but now it's just high fructrose corn syrup, water, and lots of gum stabilizers to pretend like it's ice cream. they don't even have to put in milk fat anymore if they don't call it ice cream, milk fat is expensive, hfcs and water is cheap. now they're even not putting in toppings. so what used to be good in the 90s/00s is now really bad. same reason american cheese can't be legally called cheese, it's american pasteurized cheese byproduct.

i didn't post the hagendaaz ones but their pint-size is now like 4oz

since this is going to be a hot rear end el nino summer, next time you're stocking up on the frozen goods to chill out, keep an eye out of which are called "frozen dairy treats" and "pint-size" and which aren't. you want ones that can be legally called ice cream and the higher the milk fat content, the better. tillimook or aldens is still a good choice for something cheap that's actual ice cream (for now).

e: also to add, actual ice cream with egg as an ingredient are usually better. though it's not entirely required if there's enough guar or arrowroot gum to stabilize it

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:08 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
my old man had that crap and i was like what the gently caress is this lol. its almost sci fi in its flakey dryness. so i just went to the store and went to the most expensive ice cream which was tillamook

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

my old man had that crap and i was like what the gently caress is this lol. its almost sci fi in its flakey dryness. so i just went to the store and went to the most expensive ice cream which was tillamook
good choice. that's my favorite widely-available ice cream for a decent price. you're pretty much getting what you pay for these days in terms of ice cream. It's more a california thing but Humboldt brand is good too.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

breyers has always been awful imo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I just get those talenti gelatos if I am hankering for ice cream, hard to overeat when they're little tiny cups vs a bigass tub

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

you'll never guess how they did it!

https://twitter.com/elbarbie/status/1657739620061265924

https://twitter.com/jomicheii/status/1657844275650916353

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the current crisis is because tuition costs have steadily and significantly increased over 40 years while wages stayed completely flat. it kind of mirrors everything else in the economy

extra infuriating that the burden on public institutions is way above private, which is just states refusing to fund public higher Ed and ensuring less poor people can get college education. Win/win. gently caress!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's basic but I like ben and Jerry's. It's gotten crazy expensjve in the last 3 years tho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

It's basic but I like ben and Jerry's. It's gotten crazy expensjve in the last 3 years tho

B&J has sucked a lot since unilever bought them out imo. used to be good pre-Unilever

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I posted about my cat food in the cat threadde and it’s hilariously shrinkflated, perfectly in keeping with the theme

50% more expensive ($40 to $62 a flat since NOVEMBER 21) and 10% fewer calories in the same serving. My cats eat better than I do!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

so what are some examples of shrinkflation that everyone has been noticing?

ive been one of the bigger trader joes proponents but they're undergoing subflation, or substitute inflation. almost all their frozen meat products are loving gnarly now, like orange chicken, pepperoni pizza, etc, while also costing a buck extra. highly recommend sticking to vegan/vegetarian diet there.

costco has, of course, been removing the more bulk budget-friendly options and replacing them with vastly smaller single-item foofoo 'organic' stuff for 2x the price

some fun ones ive found:

(was 20lbs)

(BIGGER IS BETTER, wait...)

(used to be 24 lol)

man, not even 1-penny frozen high fructose corn syrup sticks are safe. things must be dire in america if hfcs+water is too expensive

tfw sale price means you spend more, good strategy, most americans are too dumb to notice

mar 2020 poo poo paper shortages never ended, smdh

yeah this is basically everything. i had some saltines due to illness a while ago and im pretty sure they’re just unsalted sawdust these days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

holefoods posted:

breyers has always been awful imo

it was good in the 90s

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lansdowne posted:

a powell's dozen

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
lol at everything but especially the “10 oz” meat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

extra infuriating that the burden on public institutions is way above private, which is just states refusing to fund public higher Ed and ensuring less poor people can get college education. Win/win. gently caress!
tbf that's a change chart, and Private has always been really expensive to start with so it's relative change is less than private, not that private is cheaper than public.

also Public costs are a shitshow because out-of-state/international pricing has gotten massive but in-state may not have changed a whole lot. e.g. UC in-state tuition is about the same in 2023 as it was in 2013, but they're now trying to rope in far more out-of-state/international students because it's better $$$$. also depends so much by state. CSU's are still 'affordable' to the in-state public as an example

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:35 on May 14, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

bankers dozen

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

bankers dozen

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

In Training posted:

yah I used to get a little container every once in a while and then I noticed they were $5.99, then $6.99, then $7.99 and recently I saw some epstein-level brand for $9.99 lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

Tillamook is still pretty good and only costs a buck or two more.

If you have a local creamery they may make something also, but they're often insanely bougie.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I posted about my cat food in the cat threadde and it’s hilariously shrinkflated, perfectly in keeping with the theme

50% more expensive ($40 to $62 a flat since NOVEMBER 21) and 10% fewer calories in the same serving. My cats eat better than I do!

pet food inflation ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

If you have a local creamery they may make something also, but they're often insanely bougie.

they're bougie but you definitely get what you pay for w/r/t ice cream these days. with a few exceptions like jeni's brand which is just expensive and not great (not bad though). so usually paying $10/pint for a local creamery means you do actually get something really good with actual real bountiful toppings. which is a lot but isn't out of line with the $8 hagendaaz or B&J "4 oz pints"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there was a really good local place near me that tried to expand exponentially after like 3 years of success, ate poo poo on their debt and got purchased by a crane manufacturer Lol.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

there was a really good local place near me that tried to expand exponentially after like 3 years of success, ate poo poo on their debt and got purchased by a crane manufacturer Lol.
this happens way too much. the downfall of most local businesses have been always trying to expand which just results in them going under, so many bespoke-filled donut, alcohol, bespoke hot chocolate, bespoke mochi bakeries, sandwich, etc places all ate poo poo after tryiing to expand and end up collapsing. the only one that's actually made it (from my local area) was Cinnaholic and C.R.E.A.M. and even then I think that's doing bad now that they've had to jack up prices to support paying all the new debt.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:52 on May 14, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think Breyer’s was always a little weird tasting but it looks like they just added a bunch of water to it? It isn’t smooth like actual ice cream.

The US is starting to get a bit uncomfortable to watch.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:08 on May 15, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I think Breyer’s was always a little weird tasting but it looks like they just added a bunch of water to it? It isn’t smooth like actual ice cream.

Imagine living here!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

if you're not actively working on your cooking skills right now you are going to get eaten alive. Processed food has never been shittier and never been more expensive. We all have to take control of our food, now, not later imo.

It's been tough world wide, I recently had a conversation with a French dude and he was saying how the bread culture of France is starting to die because high quality loaves and other baked goods are becoming too expensive to buy in quantity. The high quality stuff you associate with the region is becoming more of a special occasion thing. Which made me really sad. If you can't get a decent price quality loaf in France then we're all hosed.

It feels really obvious to me that unless something drastically changes, the entire food structure of the world is changing for the worse. The only way I can think of to keep eating healthy food is to cook it yourself.

even the Costco thread's getting Doom-y

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

these are mostly brand names

if you make your products from scratch in your spare time, you can mostly avoid these issues

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

not just water! also air.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ardennes posted:

the experiment has failed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

your spare time
lmfao nice one. good joke.

most americans are working 2 jobs or 60+ hours a week. no one has spare time except the wfh big figgie computer touchers

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

these are mostly brand names

if you make your products from scratch in your spare time, you can mostly avoid these issues

Ingredient prices are also skyrocketing. But it's still by far the best way to make food if you can spare enough time away from selling your labor to afford rent.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I love how every single product you interact with increased by 100% but inflation is recorded as 4%.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ardennes posted:

don’t worry, you’ll soon have to subscribe to america+ if you want to keep watching

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

I love how every single product you interact with increased by 100% but inflation is recorded as 4%.

Food is too volatile. Also gasoline. Also cars and rentals and mortgages. Therefore we exclude these prices and focus on the truly essential product to American living: the television set.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Food is too volatile. Also gasoline. Also cars and rentals and mortgages. Therefore we exclude these prices and focus on the truly essential product to American living: the television set.

what is the most recent inflation tracking breakdown anyways? ofc they change it every month

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

for pet food what you do is wait for rakuten promos where its like universal 15% cash back+abuse promo codes auto shipping deals and stack em up one at a time, boom back down to pre covid pricing!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

what is the most recent inflation tracking breakdown anyways? ofc they change it every month

CPI and PPI was last week

We have FOMC in a month then the May CPI/PPI a week after(?) that

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Homeless Friend posted:

for pet food what you do is wait for rakuten promos where its like universal 15% cash back+abuse promo codes auto shipping deals and stack em up one at a time, boom back down to pre covid pricing!

That sounds great, but I would prefer not to have to eat cat food.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Centrist Committee posted:

don’t worry, you’ll soon have to subscribe to america+ if you want to keep watching

I have been trying to cancel, it keeps on billing my card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Xaris posted:

they're bougie but you definitely get what you pay for w/r/t ice cream these days. with a few exceptions like jeni's brand which is just expensive and not great (not bad though). so usually paying $10/pint for a local creamery means you do actually get something really good with actual real bountiful toppings. which is a lot but isn't out of line with the $8 hagendaaz or B&J "4 oz pints"

we have a local place that yeah sells an $11 pint and I don’t even really enjoy sweets but god drat is their ice cream good. with actual "treats" or desserts in america there’s some additional pastiche of pathology overlaid wrt being BAD for you or treating food like it should be a reward that really fucks people up.

like, four bites of this extremely good ice cream is divine.