Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh he wasn't even the weirdest choice, here's a longer list of the actors they approached:

Die Hard starring Richard Gere :psyduck:

I'd take the Sinatra timeline over some of those.

Edit: Ford could have been fun though.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 13:30 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gnoman posted:

Note that the homophobia accusations against Fieri seem to begin and end with David Page, a former producer of one of Fieri's shows who was fired on the grounds of being extremely abusive to staff and general poor performance. The only person to have provided any support to the claims is one of Page's assistants.
Unpopular but true. It's like when you're a white teacher in a predominantly black school-- some opportunist is always going to try and use it as a wedge and it muddies the ground against actual credible problems. Always hard to say for sure with those things if the accused makes money ofc, because people can and do cover for far worse, but it's also empirically true that hate campaigns are real. Anyone who has been around here long enough to remember Helldump knows exactly how bad it can get, even here. Literally yesterday I saw some weird poo poo on reddit where a minority of people who really hate Simu Liu are both baiting him and trying really hard to make him out to be some awful guy and it's clearly motivated by salt. Liu needs to get someone to handle his socials though because I think he's starting to take the bait.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's also annoying because Holmes is frequently coded as being autistic. I like that, because it's better representation than poo poo like The Good Doctor. But then you get writers who equate not getting certain unspoken social rules with being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, and it goes all the way round to being actively harmful again.

There's a scene in Sherlock where he's at a christmas party and sees a girl who has brought a gift. He inspects her, looks at the wrapped gift and announces why it's obvious that she brought it because she has a crush on someone. Then she breaks down because she bought it for him, and he looks like a dick.

That's relatable! There's no bad intention, Holmes is just bad at reading the room on a direct emotional level. And he apologizes afterwards because it's explained to him why it's a lovely thing to do.

But then in later seasons he just becomes a superhero whose powers include being an rear end in a top hat whose behavior is justified because he's always right.

It's really frustrating and harmful, because this type of representation matters a lot when people are scared of being diagnosed so that they can get the help they need. In my case, it lead to bullshit like thinking that all the doctors were wrong because I feel a lot of empathy and in media that is something that autists can't feel.
It is an unfortunate flowchart:

1. Media about "great individuals" with a tight, central focus have favor because they're far easier to structure and produce.
2. Media about exceptional people are popular because they theoretically show off sides of humanity that your average viewer won't experience, with the flourish of "and oh I relate to their humanity!"
3. Media has no enforcing obligation to be inspirational or healthy beyond what gets them money.
4. Media is often bad at portraying examples of human negativity without making them seem positive to a huge chunk of people.
5. Most people don't know poo poo about what autism actually is, because what autism actually is is kind-of messy, not very romantic, and difficult to put in a box. Pretty much everything that happens in autism is a microcosm of what happens to everyone, and the most prominent characteristics are seen as either intellectual disability (it's not) or essentially para-humans (also not true).

Thus you end up with a lot of autistic or autistic-coded characters who are reductive and clipped to be a pathetic mix of idiotic and para-human, shown as negative examples of humanity, as exceptional people who are beloved because "teaching" the audience about social norms through a character who is clueless is the path of least resistance when getting successful media produced.

And the problem that this leads to is that actual autistics will mistake these portrayals as realistic, as they often don't have other models to go off of, and it leads to hosed up internal development. It also conditions people around them to see autistics in terms of "you're either one of the special ones whose bullshit we all just have to put up with, or we are therefore justified in neglecting/abusing you." Again this is a microcosm of what everyone experiences-- we all know the unrealistic expectations foisted upon us by superhero media, instagram influencers, media stars, etc.-- but it hits a concentrated, pernicious extreme once you put neurodivergence into the mix.

As with most things, I continue to blame Harry Potter and JK Rowling for continuing that fearful and broken worldview.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 16:17 on May 14, 2023

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can see arnold and stallone doing their own die hard that would have made perfectly fine movies but clint eastwood? Really, he was considered for an action movie? The dude whos entire thing is he can stand still and look cool, the exact opposite of what an action movie needs

Before Arnold and Stallone, Clint Eastwood was the biggest action star in the world. He wasn't always 120 years old.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Black Lighter posted:

Before Arnold and Stallone, Clint Eastwood was the biggest action star in the world. He wasn't always 120 years old.

He was 58 years old in 1988 but he was still making Dirty Harry films, he still had a lot of gas in the tank. On the other hand he was already getting 'gruff old man' roles such as Gunnery Sergeant Highway in Heartbreak Ridge.

E: Willis was only 27 when he filmed Die Hard???? What the gently caress he looked 40

E2: I hosed up my math, he was 32. :eng99:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:43 on May 14, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E: Willis was only 27 when he filmed Die Hard???? What the gently caress he looked 40
That was no joke part of the appeal and part of what sold Die Hard as believable-- Willis had a young man's energy and agility, with the face and voice of a much older and seasoned patriarch-type.

Without that quality, McClane's impudent, controlling attitude towards his wife and the LA culture she's immersed in would have come across as either bratty or hopelessly retrograde, instead of endearingly piggish. The whole movie's subtext of "Papa Bear knows what's best" really requires that alchemy, and Willis was a hell of a get.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

He was 58 years old in 1988 but he was still making Dirty Harry films, he still had a lot of gas in the tank. On the other hand he was already getting 'gruff old man' roles such as Gunnery Sergeant Highway in Heartbreak Ridge.

And like five years later he started making movies about how old he was.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Black Lighter posted:

Well, i mean even when he was young, when i think of like, Unforgiven or a fistful of dollars, most of the action to me feels swift and brutally efficient in a way action movies of the 80s just...arent? I can not see him picking up a machine gun and blazing people ya know

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Black Lighter posted:

He wasn't always 120 years old.

I’m going to go lay down, this simply cannot be true and we all need to go take a break :stonklol:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh wait, holy poo poo unforgiven was 1992. drat i thought that movie was from the 80s, well. Huh wierd to think im older then it

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well, i mean even when he was young, when i think of like, Unforgiven or a fistful of dollars, most of the action to me feels swift and brutally efficient in a way action movies of the 80s just...arent? I can not see him picking up a machine gun and blazing people ya know

I mean, I could totally see Dirty Harry machine gunning a bunch of people and then quipping about it afterwards. It's just that action movies got a lot more hyperbolic as the 80's went on and the studios threw more money at them, with more expensive and intricate set-pieces. Just look at Dirty Harry vs Lethal Weapon, or any Bond movie from the 70's vs Licence to Kill - totally different vibe for reasons that don't really have much to do with the actors.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

According to Wikipedia, Willis was born in March 1955 and filming of Die Hard began November 1987 so he was 32. Still.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In DS9 I just finished the episode with Lxwana Troi and Odo being trapped in the lift together and while there are a lot of aspects that have not aged well like the Ferenghi's whole schtick (although I know DS9 rehabilitates them with some ironies like in their later years it's JAKE being a toxic influence on Nog and not the other way around) and Troi's constant schtick of sexually harassing half the characters, the show does do a lot to show how the characters really react when the chips are down, and that helps flesh them out early on, like when Qwark, after most of the alien board game being kind of cavalier about the situation when it seems that he's winning, realises the real stakes, and after trying to play more carefully gets made to make the decision which of his pieces/crewmates will die so the others can complete the game, and that level of responsibility just crushes him completely because while he pretends otherwise he does care about his compatriats.

Similarly, after a bunch of odious behaviour towards Odo, when they are trapped in the turbolift together Lxwana finally shows some reality when she asks if she can talk even if he won't respond and Odo recognises that for her it's a coping mechanism, and after starting to open up and his body starting to fall apart because he's hit his shape-shifting time limit, she shows him the same compassion and understanding as he can no longer hide the mess his body is becoming from her and she allows him to see her as SHE truly looks outside her glitz and glamour. It's very well done storytelling. I also loved the episode with Kira and the farmhand who refused to leave his property even at the expense of his life, and when confronted with the fact that she's now having to be the oppressor in this situation she admits that she's hating every minute of it because she knows how he feels.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AceOfFlames posted:

According to Wikipedia, Willis was born in March 1955 and filming of Die Hard began November 1987 so he was 32. Still.

Ah yep, for some reason I was thinking of First Blood which came out in '82

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Gran Torino is one of those movies where at the time I thought it was a thoughtful critique of an old racist cop, an unforgiven for Dirty Harry, but have come to believe the vibe you’re supposed to get is “we need let racist old white dudes run everything because they get things done!”

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Gran Torino is one of those movies where at the time I thought it was a thoughtful critique of an old racist cop, an unforgiven for Dirty Harry, but have come to believe the vibe you’re supposed to get is “we need let racist old white dudes run everything because they get things done!”

It's got a lot going on but the story is pretty clear that he made the situation worse when he tried to initially fix things, and his only viable solution is to be killed in order for justice to finally be served.

That and the baldfaced contempt for his kids and grandkids expecting to cash in on his estate, to the point of making sure they get completely and publicly hosed in the will.

The last thing is he really seems to play it that being the whole ~hero-veteran~ mythos is just that, and war fucks you up and everything you do will follow you for the rest of your life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sounds like a good movie for bitter assholes who want to feel justified in having a martyr complex

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s not the passion of the Christ

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Much like Terminator was created around the single image of a metal skeleton emerging from a wall of fire, I wonder if Gran Torino was made around the image of Clint Eastwood growling "Get off my lawn" while pointing a shotgun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's been his brand at least as long as most of us have been alive

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Most of Clint Eastwood's 'badass' characters have the opposite of a villain monologue, where the real life consequences of say, a 70 year old dude calling three black guys 'spooks' are ignored, in favour of them cowering in fear because he's so tough.

The very worst example is the beginning of Sudden Impact, where he just waltzes into the middle of a robbery unarmed and chats poo poo at four armed men, who watch casually as he tells them he's here to stop them. He reaches into his jacket pulls his gun, while still monologing, and the robbers courteously wait unti he shoots one of them before opening fire.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You know what hasn't aged well is the Tom Hanks version of Gran Turino, A Man Called Otto.

70 year old fuckin curmudgeon living in a gated community who goes out of his way to find reasons to hate everyone is going to be accepting of a trans person who just shows up. Come on.

Also, it's a harem fantasy for lonely old men. Oh how I wish I was an angry undeserving dick that everyone would shower me with such love and affection for no fuckin reason

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
You're mad or disappointed that a movie character isn't transphobic?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

InediblePenguin posted:

On one hand, I'm super happy that there is a trans person and he wasn't introduced along side a frontload of old-man-learning-about-trans-people. It's great that Old Man is just like, Oh you are? Okay!

However, everything about this old man sucks, but the movie does obnoxious poo poo to show you how he's just a grumpy man and not all the other stuff that comes with it. He has black friends! He has latino friends! He has trans friends! He has gay friends! But besides that he's a loving dick, and I don't buy any of what the movie is trying to sell me. He's an entirely unbelievable character in an obnoxious pandering way.

I mean, it's a Tom Hanks movie and I was really surprised to find it wasn't directed by Ron Howard because it feels like his style of middling garbage

I know it's a remake, but I've not seen the original.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

In DS9 I just finished the episode with Lxwana Troi and Odo being trapped in the lift together and while there are a lot of aspects that have not aged well like the Ferenghi's whole schtick (although I know DS9 rehabilitates them with some ironies like in their later years it's JAKE being a toxic influence on Nog and not the other way around) and Troi's constant schtick of sexually harassing half the characters, the show does do a lot to show how the characters really react when the chips are down, and that helps flesh them out early on, like when Qwark, after most of the alien board game being kind of cavalier about the situation when it seems that he's winning, realises the real stakes, and after trying to play more carefully gets made to make the decision which of his pieces/crewmates will die so the others can complete the game, and that level of responsibility just crushes him completely because while he pretends otherwise he does care about his compatriats.

Similarly, after a bunch of odious behaviour towards Odo, when they are trapped in the turbolift together Lxwana finally shows some reality when she asks if she can talk even if he won't respond and Odo recognises that for her it's a coping mechanism, and after starting to open up and his body starting to fall apart because he's hit his shape-shifting time limit, she shows him the same compassion and understanding as he can no longer hide the mess his body is becoming from her and she allows him to see her as SHE truly looks outside her glitz and glamour. It's very well done storytelling. I also loved the episode with Kira and the farmhand who refused to leave his property even at the expense of his life, and when confronted with the fact that she's now having to be the oppressor in this situation she admits that she's hating every minute of it because she knows how he feels.

God I fuckin love DS9, I really do. Maybe I'll watch it again, it's been at least a year.

I am full of hyperfixation opinions about the Vorta

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just saw the episode with Gul Darheel. I loved the reveal about what he really was and what he was doing, and how it was the start of Kira starting to see Cardassians as just... people. A mess of a race who nonetheless have a few good people who are it's only hope of fixing their society, only for the episode to end in tragedy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

HopperUK posted:

God I fuckin love DS9, I really do. Maybe I'll watch it again, it's been at least a year.

I am full of hyperfixation opinions about the Vorta

DS9 that aged poorly:

The one Vorta (the first in the show iirc) that had telekinetic powers completely unexplained and how no other vorta did.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Humerus posted:

DS9 that aged poorly:

The one Vorta (the first in the show iirc) that had telekinetic powers completely unexplained and how no other vorta did.

Eris!

It's fan canon now that she was a specially engineered one-off for that specific mission.

Either that or they could all do that and just didn't because it'd be impolite.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I still can’t believe they just had Iggy Pop in there as a Vorta for one episode.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Iggy Pop did a lot of cameos, especially in the 90s. He was a regular on Pete and Pete as well.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Baron von Eevl posted:

Iggy Pop did a lot of cameos, especially in the 90s. He was a regular on Pete and Pete as well.

Can't believe Michelle Trachtenberg was allowed to be around him tho

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

credburn posted:

You know what hasn't aged well is the Tom Hanks version of Gran Turino, A Man Called Otto.

70 year old fuckin curmudgeon living in a gated community who goes out of his way to find reasons to hate everyone is going to be accepting of a trans person who just shows up. Come on.

Also, it's a harem fantasy for lonely old men. Oh how I wish I was an angry undeserving dick that everyone would shower me with such love and affection for no fuckin reason
All my Scandivaian friends hate that movie so much lmao.

InediblePenguin posted:

Apparently the original Swedish "A Man called Ove" is exceptionally good and the US version is well, what the US always does when importing culture and retrofitting it to Wal-Mart sensibilities. That's why all my Scandinavian friends hate it so much.

HopperUK posted:

Eris!

It's fan canon now that she was a specially engineered one-off for that specific mission.

I mean it makes sense for the Vorta, they're canonically designed to be the ultimate race of weasel-submissives.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

On one hand, I'm super happy that there is a trans person and he wasn't introduced along side a frontload of old-man-learning-about-trans-people. It's great that Old Man is just like, Oh you are? Okay!

However, everything about this old man sucks, but the movie does obnoxious poo poo to show you how he's just a grumpy man and not all the other stuff that comes with it. He has black friends! He has latino friends! He has trans friends! He has gay friends! But besides that he's a loving dick, and I don't buy any of what the movie is trying to sell me. He's an entirely unbelievable character in an obnoxious pandering way.

I mean, it's a Tom Hanks movie and I was really surprised to find it wasn't directed by Ron Howard because it feels like his style of middling garbage

Can't forget how useless all the youth are with their cell phones and social media!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hallo spacedog posted:

Can't believe Michelle Trachtenberg was allowed to be around him tho

I think off stage, and especially by that point in his career, he was just Jim from Michigan, old friend of Dan Erlewine and fan of surfing.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

He was very convincing as a pedophile in Tank Girl

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

credburn posted:

It felt like the intention was almost to say to the target audience “hey, look, all these people who are different from you are actually really nice, so don’t be a dick to them, and enjoy their presence in your life,” but instead of doing that, it said “hey, look, all these people who are different from you are actually really naive, and will put up with you being a dick to them, so use them to fill the void in your life.”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phylodox posted:

I still can’t believe they just had Iggy Pop in there as a Vorta for one episode.

They were actually blindsided that he really wanted to play an alien and did him up as a Vorta last minute apparently.

HopperUK posted:

Eris!

Their creators are specifically masters of genetic engineering, makes sense.

More of an irritating moment but they had a whole thing with Bashir turning out to be genetically augmented and totally missed the opportunity to do at least some compare-and-contrast with the Dominion's projects. Heck, a book even apparently posits that the Changelings used to be 'solids' of some kind but genetically engineered themselves into shapeshifters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That whole plotline felt weirdly half-baked, yeah

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only real change to his character is that he’s good at doing math in his head.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More of an irritating moment but they had a whole thing with Bashir turning out to be genetically augmented and totally missed the opportunity to do at least some compare-and-contrast with the Dominion's projects. Heck, a book even apparently posits that the Changelings used to be 'solids' of some kind but genetically engineered themselves into shapeshifters.
That does come up eventually I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

There's a name I did not expect to see here. Are we going after ol' Dusty Dan for a dubious refretting video or something?