Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Chasing the dream of '84, The Profitable Olympics
The Dollop did a good episode about them and about how that Olympics prompted the era of extremely rough policing that would be the hallmark of the LAPD going into the 1990s

That's not even factoring in how they made lives miserable for homeless people (which will certainly happen again this time too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Dollop did a good episode about them and about how that Olympics prompted the era of extremely rough policing that would be the hallmark of the LAPD going into the 1990s

That's not even factoring in how they made lives miserable for homeless people (which will certainly happen again this time too)

Especially since homelessness has gotten even worse in LA since then, or more obviously visible, which would be a problem in the IOC's eyes

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

I mean, that was probably a win for Chicago. Historically, the Olympics are huge money wastes for the host cities.

Oh definitely, I was happy too, but national politicians rooting against a US city seemed particularly garish.

LA might not get hit so bad with the Olympics. The IOC has struggled to find prospective cities because everyone has wised up to how awful they are to host cities. LA doesn’t need to build that much stuff. I think that’s why Paris and LA were chosen.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They should just perpetually be in Athens and Innsbruck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

Like it's possible if you don't have to build anything for it to be profitable.

But very annoying for residents

Tokyo renovated a stadium, built a couple more permanent facilities that will be needed, and a bunch of temporary stuff that was supposed to all be budget-friendly and still soared past its budget. That Olympic grift is strong.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://youtu.be/sd3lDhyM21M

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Chasing the dream of '84, The Profitable Olympics

No its kickbacks from overpriced contracts all the way down. The reason the olympics are wastes of money are also exactly why everyone wants them.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1658210668099584000?s=46

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Malcolm McDowell has had a strange career.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I dream of a day where people actually realize that Chicago isn’t even in the top 10 for crime rate. Doesn’t fit right winger’s narrative though.

The other city that weirdly gets brought in to this is Portland. Like the city has some issues but it's one of the safest major cities in the country.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Malcolm McDowell has had a strange career.

The man works—some good stuff, some great stuff, some straight trash.

The “rough policing and Olympics” comment made me immediately think of that movie.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

The other city that weirdly gets brought in to this is Portland. Like the city has some issues but it's one of the safest major cities in the country.

This is because it’s been loud enough long enough on liberal/progressive issues. George W Bush nicknamed us “Little Beirut” not for nothing. So if Chicago is about danger from race, referring to Portland as a war zone (it’s not) is more about painting anybody left of Obama as a reincarnation of Che Guevara, AK47 in tow. As with all things in Oregon race may still play a part, but this is mostly dog whistling to the suburbs about the People’s Republic of SE Portland.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Both Chicago and Portland have the "liberal city dominating the mostly red rest of the state", and there's lots on outrage and money you can wring from that if you stir the pot enough

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Both Chicago and Portland have the "liberal city dominating the mostly red rest of the state", and there's lots on outrage and money you can wring from that if you stir the pot enough

isn't that true of every big city in the US though? The electoral map is just a sea of red counties around blue islands where most of the actual people live.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
for dickhead conservatives, portland is where their classic cowardice comes out. antifa will give you purity tests in the street and beat you up if you like the american flag. chicago is good old fashioned racism more than anything else

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dr_Strangelove posted:

The man works—some good stuff, some great stuff, some straight trash.

The “rough policing and Olympics” comment made me immediately think of that movie.
That man has done "A Clockwork Orange", "Caligula", "Tank Girl", a live action version of "Fist of the North Star", and...."Tom & Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes"???????

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

That man has done "A Clockwork Orange", "Caligula", "Tank Girl", a live action version of "Fist of the North Star", and...."Tom & Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes"???????

A workin’ man. No paycheck rejected.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Oh definitely, I was happy too, but national politicians rooting against a US city seemed particularly garish.

LA might not get hit so bad with the Olympics. The IOC has struggled to find prospective cities because everyone has wised up to how awful they are to host cities. LA doesn’t need to build that much stuff. I think that’s why Paris and LA were chosen.

The amount of people living on the streets of Los Angeles and dying on the streets of Los Angeles have surged in the last ten years. In the late 70's into the 80s the poverty rate jumped in LA county mirrored a massive loss of jobs in multiple sectors in LA county coupled with what was effectively the end of Federal public housing and on top of all that millions of units were actually taken off the market in LA. The number of homeless in LA county according to last years count was at 69,000 but that is a number that is assumed to be an undercount as it does not take into account people are bouncing around places but ultimately have no permanent home. What will sadly happen is a brutal and ineffective sweep when the Olympics come to town that will ultimately cost taxpayers so much money.

On top of that the 84 Olympics passed a short term resolution banning truck deliveries during the day because they were afraid of traffic jams among other things for people trying to get around town going to events. Around 2.5 million more people now live in Los Angeles county than they did in 84. While they won't have to build a bunch of single use venues it's hard to imagine them not spending insane amounts of money that will be hidden in various contracts. I"m just very pessimistic about the entire thing and really wish they weren't coming.

Also in terms of "scary big cities" stuff it's very funny to be in Minneapolis right now and you look on twitter posts about Twins games and people who live in the suburbs are like "it's loving scary in downtown minneapolis. You better bring your body armor" and poo poo like that. I was downtown on Sunday for a mothers day lunch and I saw thousands of Twins and cubs fans walking around on a beautiful sunny day. Also last year when Fox News was in town they were reporting about what a hellhole warzone minneapolis has become and I literally just had kayaked on a lake in Minneapolis and spent the rest of the day walking around and enjoying the weather.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1658548867577552896?s=46

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I don't know why you fire Dan Lebotard to go and get more expensive and worse Dan LeBotard.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I tried a few times to watch Pat and couldn’t do it for more than a couple minutes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LionYeti posted:

I don't know why you fire Dan LeBatard to go and get more expensive and worse Dan LeBatard.

Firing and hiring expensive people validates someone's cost as CEO, because they are "making big decisions".

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

LionYeti posted:

I don't know why you fire Dan Lebotard to go and get more expensive and worse Dan LeBotard.

i thought dan simply quit after they laid off chris cote without notifying him first (among other things that had been building up)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

i thought dan simply quit after they laid off chris cote without notifying him first (among other things that had been building up)
No they didn't renew their contract. There were always a lot of issues between Dan and ESPN over the different stunts he and the show would pull, and I don't think it was ever going to work if Disney was going to keep insisting on a decent amount of control. Particularly over when the show would sometimes dip into politics (which was bound to happen when Trump spent so long attacking the NFL or Kaepernick, or ESPN itself).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The blood money tour is going great

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1658964871990444032?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still don't understand why they insisted on a TV deal. The whole reason this league exists is to launder blood money, not actually make it profitable. There's no way in hell it's profitable if they are paying some of these golfers hundreds of millions of dollars.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know that's the purpose but still don't understand how it's supposed to accomplish the sportswashing, literally every mention of it is about exactly that.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Also, didn't they give Nexstar CW the broadcast for free?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Also, didn't they give Nexstar CW the broadcast for free?
Yes nobody offered anything for the rights so they are I think paying to be on the CW

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes nobody offered anything for the rights so they are I think paying to be on the CW

This is correct.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1659030831606951936?s=20

Just here to throw this call onto the mountainous pile of reasons Kevin Harlan owns

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still don't understand why they insisted on a TV deal. The whole reason this league exists is to launder blood money, not actually make it profitable. There's no way in hell it's profitable if they are paying some of these golfers hundreds of millions of dollars.

The reason Liv exists is so that rich people think of Saudi Arabia as oh yeah the guys who sponsor the thing Phil Mickelson is in and not those dudes who dismembered a journalist. It needs broadcast into the home to do that

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1659030831606951936?s=20

Just here to throw this call onto the mountainous pile of reasons Kevin Harlan owns

His call for the Chiefs radio net during the Jan. 1994 playoff game against the Oilers cemented it for me:

“A cheap shot on Montana by Ray Childress! BUT THAT IS HIS CALLING CARD!”

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Harlan is a national treasure

https://twitter.com/brianmfloyd/status/1621333600892514304?s=46&t=445Hll_at5LyPmElLbdnnA

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

behind a paywall, but it’s finally happening?

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1659186443229560832?s=46

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t wait for it to be $49.99 or something equally ludicrous.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ESPN+ is like $10/month right now, so I’d imagine getting the full channel would cost $30/mo.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

ESPN+ is like $10/month right now, so I’d imagine getting the full channel would cost $30/mo.

Id probably pay for it and then cut cable subscription to the bone.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Random guess is two options - $44.99/mo or $400/yr

Depsite the cordcutting, carriage fees are still a substantial part of the business model so I'm guessing the cable cos will insist on a ludicrous price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Paracaidas posted:

Random guess is two options - $44.99/mo or $400/yr

Depsite the cordcutting, carriage fees are still a substantial part of the business model so I'm guessing the cable cos will insist on a ludicrous price.

maybe this is the point but at $45 a month it makes more sense to just spring for basic cable (anywhere from $40-70 a month) or youtube tv ($72 a month but includes a lot of other things)

it would have to be a substantial discount over the combined cable packages to justify the plan by itself; if they're floating the idea out there then they've either figured out that lower price point or they're seeing what the market for it would be