Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I did like that they peppered in plenty of what in retrospect were tells.

"I'm gonna catch up with you on Koboh" "I am gonna stay behind and look for a manual." "I gotta record a story to transmit to my kid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not just in retrospect lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Not just in retrospect lol

Yeah the sticking around with Dagan's corpse right after you disagree was the real hand tip.

Though the ludonarrative conceit of your ally characters dropping in and out for game reasons papers over it a little bit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Turning on ray tracing seems to have fixed my problem (which, huh?). I wonder if that mystery voodoo it does when you turn it on and off helped? Or if the non ray traced rendering is busted for some configurations?

Thanks steam forums for giving me like one helpful suggestion ever finally

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I think I'll end up finishing the gsme in an hour or so and I know this has been answered bit I don't remember, what all carries over into NG+?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Everything I think? Your points all get refunded and some of the skill tree is locked out by story progression. All the collectible doodads carry over. By default a perk that switches out combat encounters to be harder is enabled (it doesn’t use a slot). Feels good so far to be doing the intro in my preferred outfit (pink poncho, obviously).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Traversal abilities must be unlocked again, but I assume that's just to prevent sequence-breaking.

Everything else you keep. All your skill points, collectible progress, everything. It is basically the ideal NG+ experience.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I mean, slam/lift is locked and that’s not all traversal, which kinda sucks because I’d like to be using it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Do bounties reset? Technically a collectible but I would like to do them again

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I don't think so. Caij never showed up in the cantina for me, just the shop puck.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, bounties stay, uhh, bountied.

There are a few other minor content bits that don't appear if you've already collected them, like the guy living in the crazy prepper house.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Was loving the game but the last boss stinks. Feels like it's meant to punish you for what you learned instead of test you on it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

How so? I played that fight several times due to game crashing so I’m curious.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah the sticking around with Dagan's corpse right after you disagree was the real hand tip.

Though the ludonarrative conceit of your ally characters dropping in and out for game reasons papers over it a little bit.

I still feel kind of dumb for not realizing he got Dagan's lightsaber, for some reason I thought he had his own one he'd turned red. Kinda on the nose for him to take up Dagan's sword but hey, it still works for the story.

Skippy McPants posted:

I know. I was responding to the speculation that Tanalorr was having some undue influence on Bode during the final encounter, and how it would be dumb if that were the case.

I can buy Tanalorr having something going on with it as a sequel hook, maybe from the Nihil attack on it, but as far as Bode goes it's all on him. Honestly it was pretty clear in retrospect he was a piece of poo poo all game, he just happened to be tempted to not be for a while. Guess he and Dagan are of course supposed to be thematically similar, both so scarred by their past their morality broke completely when they hit an obsession. Kinda fits Cal too really, except he had people to pull him back from going over the edge.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It was a little clumsy but I appreciate that with so many games leveragingcharacters, and protectiveness of fatherhood as a mechanic and motivation for the pov character, they did it for the villain.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Was loving the game but the last boss stinks. Feels like it's meant to punish you for what you learned instead of test you on it.

i really enjoyed that fight

i used blaster stance so it was like a fun mirror match

playing tennis with blaster bolts was a good time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i really enjoyed that fight

i used blaster stance so it was like a fun mirror match

playing tennis with blaster bolts was a good time

I used single saber because I am an honourable Jedi Knight so shooting him down was even funnier

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 14, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Thank gently caress, there is a video game thread. I didn’t want to gum up the TVIV threads.

Anyway, concerning the post game Does the Main Objective: Explore the Galaxy conclude in anyway? I keep hoping between planets hoping it will trigger something. It’s pretty great, though, because there is a ton of adorable dialogue between Merrin and Kata in the cockpit during hyperspace jumps. That little girl is going to grow up witchy as gently caress.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I didn’t catch that Bode had Dagans saber at all. I thought it was odd that he had blooded his saber since he seemed to think of himself as a good guy to an extent. Huh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

To the tune of My Sharona

Ooh, Bode Akuna,
Former Jedi, now he's on the run-a,
Working for the ISB,
Betrayed Cal Kestis, oh can't you see?

Bode Akuna, why'd you have to go?
You were once a hero, now you're working for the foe,
Bode Akuna, what made you turn?
You left us all behind, now we're left to burn.
B-b-b-ode Akuna!

Ooh, Bode Akuna,
You were like a brother, now you're no longer one-a,
You helped us once, but now you're gone,
Why did you have to join the dark side, what went wrong?
B-b-bode Akuna!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any major open world zones after the boss at the top of the observatory on koboh? I don't know if Respawn just ran out of ideas or time but it's just wave after wave of enemies in tiny rooms and everytime I get to the top the game crashes and I lose all progress and I'm at a tipping point where I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep trying to get past the crash, or to just watch all the cutscenes on YouTube and go play Zelda. If it's kind of just a straight shot to the last bosses or corridors of enemy waves I'd be a little disappointed.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 14, 2023

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

JBP posted:

Seems like there's always some good/evil catalysing effect in places with strong force things going on. I'm fine with Tanalorr having some spooky things happening but I also think Bode already hosed himself up by being a snitch for the feds (twice).

I just beat the game. I really don’t think there’s anything happening with Tanalorr like that, it’s basically Eden and that’s the narrative role it plays nothing more.

Bode always seemed like he had a troubled past but I think the fight with Dagan tipped it all over, whatever vision he had while fighting Dagan totally hosed him up and he really breaks bad afterwards.

The game itself does a pretty nifty thing with Cal’s story about his descent to the dark side mirroring Bode, and makes good use of Cal’s in-game violent murder spree itself a warning sign about him starting down the wrong path and you getting infinitely more combat effective when you channel the dark side, which incentivizes you to keep drawing on that especially when the game throws mob after mob in front of you.

I think one of best, understated human acting performances of the game is when Cal is about to murder that ISB officer and Merrin, the black magic murder witch is like, “dude you need to chill” but in a very calm and assertive way.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Also, I can’t be the only person who got this reference, right? https://stormbringer.fandom.com/wiki/Tanelorn. Helluva lot going on there if the writers aren’t just winking at us middled-aged fantasy novel fans.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, I can’t be the only person who got this reference, right? https://stormbringer.fandom.com/wiki/Tanelorn. Helluva lot going on there if the writers aren’t just winking at us middled-aged fantasy novel fans.

Oh holy gently caress

Thank you, I've been trying to remember why that name sounded so familiar.

"Tanelorn, also known as Tan-al-Oorn, Shanalorm, the Eternal City and the City of Rest, is a city of Neutrality, supporting neither Law nor Chaos, which exists in some form in each and every world of the Multiverse."

Planet of the Grey Jedi lmao

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 14, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I did a Google search for Jedi Survivor and Tanelorn and the only people who have caught it are a CNN reviewer and a handful of commenters on Reddit.

I refuse to believe I live in a world of pedantic Star Wars nerds who aren’t at least partially aware of Michael Moorcock.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The similarity struck me too, which is why I have a certain Blind Guardian song stuck in my head again thanks to this game.

… oh god, that song is 31 years old at this point? :gonk:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

MMAgCh posted:

The similarity struck me too, which is why I have a certain Blind Guardian song stuck in my head again thanks to this game.

… oh god, that song is 31 years old at this point? :gonk:

Hansi still had hair when I discovered BD back in college.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I was sitting there thinking the whole time how much Dagan looks like Elric of Melnibone

Dogen
May 5, 2002

PageMaster posted:

Are there any major open world zones after the boss at the top of the observatory on koboh? I don't know if Respawn just ran out of ideas or time but it's just wave after wave of enemies in tiny rooms and everytime I get to the top the game crashes and I lose all progress and I'm at a tipping point where I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep trying to get past the crash, or to just watch all the cutscenes on YouTube and go play Zelda. If it's kind of just a straight shot to the last bosses or corridors of enemy waves I'd be a little disappointed.

Nah just several more set pieces if I remember, though I did spend some time just backtracking and picking up major stuff that I missed.

I posted upthread- I just started NG+ and had issues in a few spots after the last patch, the observatory being one of them, coruscant being another (preventing me from starting NG+ initially) and weirdly turning on ray tracing has helped a lot? I still get the occasional crash but paradoxically it seems to have helped.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Beat the game, loved it. I played on an XSX and only ever had one freeze and an occasional stutter here or there, so very minor complaints on that front. It improved on the original a ton, though all the climbing stuff isn't as fun as someone obviously thinks it is. I didn't mind the wall running and balloon stuff, but the climbing got tedious at times. Also, am I the only one who feels the zip lines are a little finicky to latch onto? And let me have multi colored dual wield blades!

Something about the ending that struck me: Bode paints himself as a good guy, doing what he's doing because he's a father and Kata is the most important thing. Then during the final encounter he nearly kills her twice by purposefully using the Force on her.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 14, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The hidden planet is totally going to be a bad deal since the Jedi masters decided it was a no go.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Azubah posted:

The hidden planet is totally going to be a bad deal since the Jedi masters decided it was a no go.

I think it was more like "eh it's risky it's risky uh oh some scary bad guys that were created as part of a multimedia story arc to scare old republic Jedi showed up gotta go"

10 Beers posted:

Something about the ending that struck me: Bode paints himself as a good guy, doing what he's doing because he's a father and Kata is the most important thing. Then during the final encounter he nearly kills her twice by purposefully using the Force on her.

That's how the dark side gets ya

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

so there are no spiders in the game despite having a toggle for it and featuring prominent ones in FO. How disappointing :mad: Whats that option for?? The scopions have barely any arachnophobia triggering design, and the tiny bugs in the tombs and elswhere are no spiders either

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

haldolium posted:

so there are no spiders in the game despite having a toggle for it and featuring prominent ones in FO. How disappointing :mad: Whats that option for?? The scopions have barely any arachnophobia triggering design, and the tiny bugs in the tombs and elswhere are no spiders either

The Woke Anti-Spider Agenda

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The opening bit of Jedha with the floor mechanic reminded me of the level in Jedi Academy with a similar gimmick. In fact I got a lot of Jedi Outcast/Academy vibes from this game for some reason.

Also, lol at Rick the Door Technician. Truly the most terrifying of bosses.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Is there any way to get the Lucrehulk to restore to the pre-bounty stage or am I just hosed since the stupid loot Droid won't respawn?

I really don't know why they decided to close off pathways and stuff, but if you're trying to get collectibles there, get them before you so bounties.

e:. Got it figured out. Had to travel off world then come back.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 14, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Think I exhausted all the post end-game main character dialogue, finally.

The last dialogue Greez has during a transition to hyperspace is him voicing that he values his family/crew and that he has a good feeling about their future on Tannalor. Even Merrin agrees. Take that as you will, in context of Disney narrative logic.

There is a ton of post-game endearing dialogue between Merrin and Kata. We might as well consider the Nightsisters as re-established. Greez is plying Kata with food and attention.

Merrin has her ducks in a row, too. Gathering up the Anchorites and getting them on Tannalor came up 3 times. She also wants to transport the Old Republic droids from the moon base to Tannalor and get busy on building more Compasses.

She also made a date with Cal to pull the Star Destroyer out of Koboh’s orbit, so here’s hoping for that DLC

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Tarezax posted:

The opening bit of Jedha with the floor mechanic reminded me of the level in Jedi Academy with a similar gimmick. In fact I got a lot of Jedi Outcast/Academy vibes from this game for some reason.

There's several spots in Coruscant that remind me of the opening to Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight I too, got a little nostalgia bump from it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Marsupial Ape posted:

Think I exhausted all the post end-game main character dialogue, finally.

The last dialogue Greez has during a transition to hyperspace is him voicing that he values his family/crew and that he has a good feeling about their future on Tannalor. Even Merrin agrees. Take that as you will, in context of Disney narrative logic.

There is a ton of post-game endearing dialogue between Merrin and Kata. We might as well consider the Nightsisters as re-established. Greez is plying Kata with food and attention.

Merrin has her ducks in a row, too. Gathering up the Anchorites and getting them on Tannalor came up 3 times. She also wants to transport the Old Republic droids from the moon base to Tannalor and get busy on building more Compasses.

She also made a date with Cal to pull the Star Destroyer out of Koboh’s orbit, so here’s hoping for that DLC

Oh hell yes, there's some of this that I missed and it's all good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Kesper North posted:

Oh hell yes, there's some of this that I missed and it's all good news

Just keep bouncing around planets until they stop talking during take off.

The best one is

Kata: Merrin, do you know how to dance?

Merrin: Yes, when my sisters and I were young we would dance deep into the night.

Kata: Will you teach me to dance?

Merrin: Of course, child!

That little girl is gonna grow up witchy as gently caress.