Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Anyway I digress, I started the Fire Temple but my actual question is whether Yunobo’s gloomrock-smashing ability will stick around later or not. I got hooked by the quest and didn’t mess around exploring so I know there are rocks I passed by without hurling him at them and I wonder if I’m missing stuff for real if I finish the dungeon without going back.

Without going into the specifics of how or why, yes, you will be able to continue using Yunobo's ability after you finish the temple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

3 temples and 60 shrines done, i've barely done anything at all in the depths so far tho

Meanwhile I need to spend some time out of the depths because my stockpile of 200 arrows and light seeds is empty. Stay up top, break some boxes and find caves.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK so dungeon talk, beat four dungeons and then a fifth dungeon! Link gets a Mech Construct that he can ride inside that can fight and attach Zonai equipment to himself. Then in the Spirit Temple I fight another bigger Mech Construct inside an electrified barbed wire wrestling ring.

What is this game!?! It's goddamn amazing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Fighting Flux Constructs by pulling them apart and then whacking the right box is so loving cool

My eyes haven’t lit up like that since who know when

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

meanolmrcloud posted:

How do you even play this game. My wife and I have a running list of like 4 things we want to do, but every 50 feet there is something pulling us there. We haven’t even gotten halfway to thing 1 on the list for the past hour just loving around. We have kids. I’m going to be playing this game for the next three years.

I found a neat thing underground, that pointed to the land above it, made getting there my goal, and it still took me 5+ hours to eventually get there because I kept seeing something new along the way. Now there's something else on my list to check out that's on hold because I don't have a shrine nearby.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Link brings us all together

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
A while back i saw someone complaining about not being able to select an ability without triggering it... Turns out you can do this by using your inventory instead of the L menu. All of the abilities show up under the star tab

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barreft posted:

Link brings us all together

Link

He come to town

Come to save

The Princess Zelda

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I forgot to take a photo of the first boss for the compendium. Hope there's ways to get that photo later.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Late game story question.

What is meant to happen in the quest line after you fight Phantom Ganon in Hyrule Castle? I had already done the Spirit Temple and got the Master Sword by then. Purah told me to talk to Josha to figure out where Ganondorf was but she just told me to follow the statues and i assumed it was in the depths below Hyrule Castle which worked out.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My boyfriend had the cool idea to post his own map progress for us to compare and contrast. Naturally we ended up heading in the complete opposite directions it's great.

My Current Maps (Spoilered Just In Case, Open in New Tab for Best Results)

Anyways I beat the Lightning Temple and boy just everything in the desert was rad as hell. Cool little non-intrusive town defense moment. Giant horrifying undead locust abominations. Big ancient pyramid temples! Riju being awesome as hell! Based on what I've heard of other areas I'm loving psyched!

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Wow, mirror shields are so strong. One little tap and you stun a group of enemies for seconds

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Made a little more progress yesterday and today, finally got off the newbie island and made it to Hyrule Town. Good lord, there are more named NPCs and more specific, journaled quests in the first few hours of this game as there are in all the other Zelda games combined. Starting to get a better handle on the controls, too, felt much better once I went into the options and swapped the B and X buttons.

The shrines are starting to kick my rear end, though -- I found two nearby ones that wanted me to do things with the fan or with balloons and candles, and jeez my mind just does not think that way. I had to look up some of the solutions for both, and it worries me that they're just gonna get harder from here.

I was right about the plot so far! I just got the next scene with Zelda, and from the way Rauru and the robots were talking like "Zelda told us to give you this", I knew it was gonna be some weird time loop where she gets sent to the past and maybe ends up as her own great grandmother or something. I wish they'd give me more info about Spooky Dave, though. I've been playing like 8 more hours since the opening scenes and no one's even tried to explain who that was. I guess Ganon's ancestor? Or maybe Ganon himself via more time loop nonsense?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Game rules! Messing around on Hyrule field a lot.

Anyone know how reloading saves when you die works? I fought my first spooky red hands, they owned me, loaded the previous save, and even two saves back from before it. But I still have the nearby red death X, and the encounter isn't happening again for me to get a second try etc.

Also with occasional reloading, I've noticed I'm not sure if it always undoes the items you spent. Long story short, it seems like there's some advanced under the hood stuff, where you're not really just loading a previous save state. At least if you died possibly. Granted, manual saving and loading is a luxury these days.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Made it into Crumbling Farum Azula. What a beautiful set piece

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I keep finding rocks that fall down to the ground and using Rewind to ride them back up but it’s just to nothing! I was promised riches and magical sky adventures.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've been going around unlocking towers. I was approaching the Eldin Canyon tower, and was attached by a couple of fire keese. I decided, hey, I'm going to be in this fire land for a bit, wouldn't it be smart to attach some splashfruit to the end of my sword, and I could maybe take these fire beasts out super easily. I climbed up a hill, and went to start a fire to get an updraft to make it over to the tower. Got out my flint rock, bundle of wood, pine cone, slashed at it with my sword, and the splashfruit immediately put out the fire, and knocked all of my ingredients to the canyon below.

Bussamove posted:

I keep finding rocks that fall down to the ground and using Rewind to ride them back up but it’s just to nothing! I was promised riches and magical sky adventures.

Sometimes they'll take you up to something interesting, other times they are great for getting somewhere cool on the ground.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Like loving seriously: we’re running towards a tower and simultaneously there’s a trader down the road, a blue glowrabbit indicating a cave nearby, a thing falling from the sky and the tower itself. All in the space of 15 seconds. It’s a lot. Maybe too much game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The shrine explaining the bow time mechanic is in such a weird place.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hooray! Good mail day.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hooray! Good mail day.

Cheers

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Couldn't complete the raided village because one monster was missing or something.

My dumb rear end thought "hey, why not rest at a fire and see if it fixes things? we just had a blood moon, they won't all respawn"

They did.

Also there's 50 something wells? This game's loving huge. I can't believe I was slightly worried it'd be half assed since the main overworld didn't change much.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Barreft posted:

There's so much gear it's overwhelming

Just use cases for everything

A little bit of color-coding at the local dyer can make switching sets on the fly a breeze since it also updates the thumbnails.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Deki posted:

Couldn't complete the raided village because one monster was missing or something.

My dumb rear end thought "hey, why not rest at a fire and see if it fixes things? we just had a blood moon, they won't all respawn"

They did.

Also there's 50 something wells? This game's loving huge. I can't believe I was slightly worried it'd be half assed since the main overworld didn't change much.

Have you seen the Depths yet? Lol crazy

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

By the way, I’m still barely into the game but I have to agree with your assessment that BOTW is like a tech demo compared to ToTK. This game is loving amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Late game spoilers: Me and my friends chilling in the field before going to kill a Demon King. https://imgur.com/XOe6rqR

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Deki posted:

Oh! How the hell are you supposed to get out of a well? I dropped down one and ended up teleporting out.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Phenotype posted:

Oh! How the hell are you supposed to get out of a well? I dropped down one and ended up teleporting out.

Ascend

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Question about batteries:

There’s one construct in the starter island selling energy cells or whatever but I’m buying him out at every opportunity and it seems like slow going. Where are more of these places and where can I spend these large Zonaite chunks I’ve been getting? I just want more juice!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Barreft posted:

Have you seen the Depths yet? Lol crazy

Just a little. Initially I wasn't too sold on it since I thought it was just kind of a bland plain with poo poo all over, then I got to the fire temple and the area under the great plateau, and realized it was actually really well done, when you can actually see.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phenotype posted:

Everybody forgets they have ascend

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Phenotype posted:

Always be Ascending

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

gently caress

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FooF posted:

There’s one construct in the starter island selling energy cells or whatever but I’m buying him out at every opportunity and it seems like slow going. Where are more of these places and where can I spend these large Zonaite chunks I’ve been getting? I just want more juice!

There's several of those in the depths. I've found three down there and I bet there's more. And they generally have a larger stock. If you want to fill your battery you need to go there. They also all restock after a day passes in game. So what I did was sleep, then teleport to all of them. Sleep again, and then teleport again. It took a little while but finally got enough to get the full battery pack.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FooF posted:

If you haven’t already, go into the depths near Lookout Town and follow the chain of statues that Josha wanted a picture of until you find an abandoned mine, what you want is there and also it’s just cool as hell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think on the balance i like totk's powers more than botw's. rewind is a bit more limited but the others basically instill the Tetris Effect on the entire game world once you get a handle on them

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Deki posted:

Just a little. Initially I wasn't too sold on it since I thought it was just kind of a bland plain with poo poo all over, then I got to the fire temple and the area under the great plateau, and realized it was actually really well done, when you can actually see.

There's also hard modes of all the bosses down there and the DLC armor from BOTW, and way more but discover on your own it rules.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is there a way to fuse poo poo to my sword or shield straight out of the inventory? I can do it for arrows, but it's so clumsy that if I want to attach something I'm carrying around to anything else, I've got to go into my bag, select it, leave that menu, drop the thing, then hit fuse.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

i think on the balance i like totk's powers more than botw's. rewind is a bit more limited but the others basically instill the Tetris Effect on the entire game world once you get a handle on them

Are you only talking the Pad powers? Cause I'd like to complain how useless Sidon's power is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i remember that one guy who gave the game a 6/10 saying that the only rewards you get for exploration are still shrines and I think that man might be on drugs.