Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
surprised russia didn't go to argentina for weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lammasu posted:

Why do they want a warm weather port? They lost a naval battle to a country with no navy!

Were they at any real risk of being kicked out of Sevastopol until they started outright annexing Ukranian land?

I would say no, Ukraine had no shot in hell to get into NATO in a timely manner before this

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

surprised russia didn't go to argentina for weapons

Argentina doesn't have any weapons. They can't buy anything from the NATO block because pretty much everything complicated like fighter jets has British parts in it so the Brits get to veto sales and have. And I guess they never got desperate enough to buy stuff from the Russians, which is just as well for them given how Russian gear has been performing.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Deki posted:

Were they at any real risk of being kicked out of Sevastopol until they started outright annexing Ukranian land?

I would say no, Ukraine had no shot in hell to get into NATO in a timely manner before this

There was a deal in place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharkiv_Pact

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.politico.eu/article/volodymyr-zelenskyy-emmanuel-macron-ukraine-war-france/

quote:

France “will train and equip” several Ukrainian battalions and provide them with “tens of armored vehicles and light tanks,” Emmanuel Macron and Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced late Sunday.

The news came after Ukraine’s president traveled to Paris and had a three-hour dinner with his French counterpart (including one hour alone, without advisers) as part of a tour of European capitals designed to shore up support among Kyiv’s allies.

“In the coming weeks, France will train and equip several battalions with tens of armored vehicles and light tanks, including AMX-10RCs,” according to a joint statement issued by both France and Ukraine after the dinner. France is also “focusing its effort in supporting Ukraine’s air defense capacities.” Macron and Zelenskyy also called for new sanctions against Russia.

Macron is also expected to make more announcements on Ukraine on Monday.
“What Ukraine needs is combat equipment, armoured vehicles, tanks, artillery,” an Elysée official said. “Zelenskyy also expressed the need to protect the skies from drone or missiles attacks … France will continue to deliver … More of the most modern systems will be offered.”

But on the question of whether Paris would send Ukraine the fighter jets it has been asking for, the French official said: “That discussion is a bit premature” due to the focus on land operation and air defenses.

As he arrived in France, Zelenskyy said: “With each visit, the defensive and offensive capabilities of Ukraine increase.” He added: “The connection with Europe is getting stronger, and the pressure on Russia is increasing. I will meet my friend Emmanuel. Let’s discuss the most important points of bilateral relations.”
France is ponying up with more of the good stuff. :homebrew:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Didn't France give Ukraine literally all of their Caesar 155 SPGs?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 15, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

orange juche posted:

Didn't France give Ukraine literally all of their Caesar 155 SPGs?

That was Denmark, wasn't it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

zone posted:

That was Denmark, wasn't it?

Oop yeah Denmark told France to deliver the 19 Caesar howitzers that were slated for delivery to Denmark to Ukraine instead, as it was better that they get put to use stopping Russia than sitting in depot in Denmark.

Still fits with the force strategy and makeup of Western European nations. Most of them do not have large or even any territorial defense forces, instead opting to be the backstop for Eastern European nations, providing training and logistical capability for them. No point in having territorial defense forces if the only hypothetical aggressor nation would have to chew through a half-dozen friendly countries to your east to get to you. Better to build a highly trained expeditionary force for supporting another nation that is much closer to the aggressor, as well as providing weaponry to that nation under threat.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 15, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zelensky was a tv comedian who got elected as a joke lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

sebmojo posted:

Greatest comedian in the world - turned an entire country into a joke!
:laugh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

who knew the joke was on Putin the entire time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sebmojo posted:

bro

let me tell you about the american elections

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Good news primer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbAl-2laYV0

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

beer_war posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/05/14/prigozhin-wagner-ukraine-leaked-documents/

Also says the Ukrainians didn't take him up on his offer as they don't trust him. Still, lmao.

If poots was actually cool with this - lol

if not - lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

zone posted:

Greatest comedian in the world - turned an entire country into a joke!
:laugh:
Putin goes to doctor, says he's depressed. Doctor says great comedian Zelensky is in town tonight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Runa posted:

who knew the joke was on Putin the entire time

The Aristocrats but its "The Russian Empire"

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Putin goes to doctor, says he's depressed. Doctor says great comedian Zelensky is in town tonight.

:five:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Alan Smithee posted:

bro

let me tell you about the american elections

We got a clown. You laugh at clowns not with them like comedians.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

does this mean Macron gave up his bullshit 'diplomacy' push?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dr. Quarex posted:

And then in a surprise twist, he pulls off a rubber mask from his face and turns out to be Zelensky in disguise.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Well, he at least outlasted Scholz on the "dragging their feet and sitting on the fence" -competition for the Neville Chamberlain Memorial Trophy on foreign policy.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Ukraine votes in a clown and gets Zelensky

American votes in a clown and gets Trump.

I'm not quite sure what that says about the state of the world.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The deficit :jerkbag:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ukraine elects a comedian- and like any good comedian, he gives hell to someone trying to get him off the stage.

The USA elects a reality show guy- and like any good reality show guy, he puts the spotlight on himself and his show for the world to laugh at.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

GABA ghoul posted:

There have been credible rumors that Lukashenko might have fallen down some stairs and soiled his trousers. Many people are talking about this. But plz keep this to yourself for now until it is confirmed

Something about this story stinks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Something about this story stinks.

The sourcing does seem a bit poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Autisanal Cheese posted:

My theory on Macron is that he's been pursuing a low odds, high reward diplomatic strategy. He knows he's not at all likely to get Zelensky and Putin to sit down and work something out, but he is the leading candidate for Putin reaching out to someone to broker a "we totally didn't get our asses kicked" deal. It's not at all likely, but as long as he's also sending vehicles with NATO standard 105mm cannon to Ukraine he isn't losing anything.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Gun shipment diplomacy

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Lukashenko is fine, reports Belarusian presidents office. Here is a photo of a hospital he attended for a normal, every day, pants making GBS threads accident - rest assured he is just out of frame alive, well and extremely healthy. No we will be taking no further questions.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hi, my name is Luka

I live on the 52nd floor...

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russian Duma confirms Luka's illness:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/05/14/7402173/

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1657882877143445506?t=aM2_1P8cR12UJSAYplJ-0Q&s=19

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Wait were you not a mod?? I swear I remember seeing you with a star

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is a twitter repost of r/ncd

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

I'm IK of the D&D thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

I'm IK of the D&D thread

can cinci still hurt me

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

can cinci still hurt me

the excel sheets are gone

for now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HonorableTB posted:

Thread IK's star only shows in the thread they look after, I think forum IK's these days only show in their own forums now too.

Alan Smithee posted:

can cinci still hurt me

I dont think Cinci's going to be back at all.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ukraine and the US are two very different but interesting "running for president, as a joke" movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ukraine and the US are two very different but interesting "running for president, as a joke" movies.

with a really weird tie-in plot