Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Did anyone else used to make glue bookmarks by squeezing a bunch of glue in to the indentation on these school supply boxes and letting the glue dry completely before peeling out the strip of dried glue?

You could make them colored, too, if you colored the indentation with highlighters before you squeezed the glue out. I used to try and make mine look like tie-dye, because I was obsessed with tie-dye

Edit: sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm not sure how else to describe it

Edit again, sorry: literally found a video of what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BrsKIdcKIo

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 16:57 on May 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffy
Oct 31, 2010

For me this is like the epitome of both completely forgetting about and vividly remembering every single part of something.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

This was either preceded or followed by the Sears AC commercial.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
https://archive.org/details/nickelodeonmagazine

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I got to go to Nickelodeon Studios at Universal when I was younger, it was pretty cool. Did not get slimed, alas.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

for some reason nothing in this ad fired off memory neurons until the specific shot of the dad sitting in the chair and the phone dropping down next to him then EVERYTHING after that was immediately familiar

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

If only you could use images as thread titles. Old Pizza Hut logo, Nickelodeon, 2 forms of slime, that lettering of "magazine." It's got it all

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
My work end-of-the-school-year party is themed “90s Summertime”, and several things my coworkers said they’ll dig out of their closets are available in costume form from Party City :kstare:

I feel like one of the rungs on the Getting Old ladder is “stuff you grew up wearing is now available as a mass produced costume”. Like when we all had our pseudo-‘60s costumes in the ‘90s.

I was looking up decorations and my boss said she was going to get a black spaghetti strap dress with a white baby tee underneath and a black choker. The color drained from her face when I showed her the same outfit available at a party supply store.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
For anyone looking to indulge in more Nick nostalgia there's a goon who's been chronicling the channel mostly chronologically for a while now in a series called Nick Knacks. Dude just uploaded a pretty comprehensive video on Nickelodeon Studios itself as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB-SIdOlw0k

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Busket Posket posted:

My work end-of-the-school-year party is themed “90s Summertime”, and several things my coworkers said they’ll dig out of their closets are available in costume form from Party City :kstare:

I feel like one of the rungs on the Getting Old ladder is “stuff you grew up wearing is now available as a mass produced costume”. Like when we all had our pseudo-‘60s costumes in the ‘90s.

I was looking up decorations and my boss said she was going to get a black spaghetti strap dress with a white baby tee underneath and a black choker. The color drained from her face when I showed her the same outfit available at a party supply store.

Oh poo poo…. I could get some new ZUBAZ from party city?!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Der-Wreck posted:

Oh poo poo…. I could get some new ZUBAZ from party city?!

You can still buy the real things.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was wearing short sleeve ts over long sleeve a 90s thing or 00s or did it ride the fence. God I hope that comes back

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

That was A Thing we were doing in middle school in ‘94. And who cares whether it comes back or not, I still do it anyway. That’s the nice thing about being uncool, not having to give half a flaccid gently caress about what some influencer douchebag thinks.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was wearing short sleeve ts over long sleeve a 90s thing or 00s or did it ride the fence. God I hope that comes back

I'm still waiting for Old Navy to bring back their good cargo pants :argh:

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

people were doing it when i was in high school in 2006

i also absolutely still do it, sometimes it’s the most comfortable way. i post here after all, “looking cool” was never an option

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

fartknocker posted:

You can still buy the real things.

Oh I know :heysexy:

Though I like that color way at party city

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Milo and POTUS posted:

A thermal or other soft long sleeved plain shirt under a graphic T or Polo is still cool and good and great fall/early spring wear :colbert:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

dialhforhero posted:

A thermal or other soft long sleeved plain shirt under a graphic T or Polo is still cool and good and great fall/early spring wear :colbert:

This was semi-standard in the brief cold snaps in Florida when I was in school in the 90s/00s.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Png-PC0ews

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

lol my family still has one of those. Not this same one but similar

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Entertainment centers as pieces of furniture really are completely gone, aren't they? Gone the way of the wardrobe.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

lol my family still has one of those. Not this same one but similar

Between 1993-2003 I had one very similar to this one, but it was slightly wider and not as tall. It was also a darker colored wood.

It was a behemoth.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Unperson_47 posted:

Entertainment centers as pieces of furniture really are completely gone, aren't they? Gone the way of the wardrobe.

Just a natural consequence of new tech. Our tvs are so large right now that you basically lose the whole upper portion. Our peripherals are also shrunk way down, with the exception of the PS5 I guess, with no more big stereos or VCRs. So having just the bottom half with the tv resting on top makes sense, hence our modern tv stands. If you're not gamers, you have a tv, maybe a cable box, maybe a pretty slim blu-ray player?

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Hi..

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Posting here because it ties to a quintessential 90s song:

Everything But The Girl -- of the "Missing" (Todd Terry remix) song fame -- released a new single few months back. The video appears to have been made in a single shot, although who knows at this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6QKZJeK-5w

I dig it a lot!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Trabant posted:

Posting here because it ties to a quintessential 90s song:

Everything But The Girl -- of the "Missing" (Todd Terry remix) song fame -- released a new single few months back. The video appears to have been made in a single shot, although who knows at this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6QKZJeK-5w

I dig it a lot!

i like Tracey. here's a fun article she wrote.

https://thequietus.com/articles/04295-courtney-love-and-the-marine-girls-by-tracey-thorn

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Pretty sure this is actually a pic of my friend’s family room. Please don’t doxx people tia.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Unperson_47 posted:

Not really. They’re just not 30” deep any more. And they’re usually called wall units.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not really. They’re just not 30” deep any more. And they’re usually called wall units.

Yeah, my parents have one. It's just a big cabinet that their lcd sits on top of. Has shelves for DVDs and the player and satellite box and whatnot. Theirs is just a flat top, but I've seen them with a pole in the back for mounting the TV to.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbXAmN6OTM

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I swear this advertising campaign was to distract from the fact that they had recently jacked up the prices from 39, 59, and 79 cents but now I'm wondering if I'm gaslighting myself here because I can't find much online about it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Unperson_47 posted:

Gone the way of the wardrobe.

What?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Back in Ye olden dayes, a "wardrobe" was a cabinet that you kept clothes in.

Think of it as something like a "portable closet".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Porfiriato posted:

I swear this advertising campaign was to distract from the fact that they had recently jacked up the prices from 39, 59, and 79 cents but now I'm wondering if I'm gaslighting myself here because I can't find much online about it.

I definitely remember 39-cent bean burritos in college. Good hangover remedy.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Phanatic posted:

I ate an entire ten-pack of 79 cent soft tacos in one sitting.

I am not proud.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phanatic posted:

At State College the local Taco Bells used to do 39 cent tacos every Sunday. My roommates and I would kick in to get ~20 of them every week. And judging by the lines every Sunday afternoon so did half the campus.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
When I was in high school it was 59, 79, 99

Used to love that pintos and cheese for 59

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At State College the local Taco Bells used to do 39 cent tacos every Sunday. My roommates and I would kick in to get ~20 of them every week. And judging by the lines every Sunday afternoon so did half the campus.

Our local McD's used to do a weekly promotion for hamburgers/cheeseburgers, 39 cents plus 10 for cheese. One night my buddy Doc stopped by our band practice and said "I'm going to McDonald's for burgers, want some?" He had basically already checked with the rest of the dorm. This culminated into his pulling up to the drive-through and saying "I'd like 69 cheeseburgers and a small diet coke."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

I ate an entire ten-pack of 79 cent soft tacos in one sitting.

I am not proud.

You should be, though