Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I used a Gesture for a year at work and I will say one thing for it:

The "stand" function on the accompanying sit/stand desk got a LOT of use that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

is there any difference between the standard embody and the $350 dollar cheaper Gaming Embody other than some silly branding?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've had an alert set up for Herman Miller chairs for the past year and finally got a Mirra 2 today for $550 USD with all the bells and whistles. The chair it was replacing was 13 years old this August has been getting so bad with aggravating my sciatica. The Mirra feels just as fine as when I used one in the office for a decade, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's from there since the guy I got it from started at my old company recently. He said he wanted to "upgrade" to a gaming chair, lmao.

Sounds like warranty service isn't on the table so I took it apart for a deep clean and retightened everything. Now it feels even more solid than when I hung out with the guy for an hour waiting for the eTransfer to go through and we were able to shoot the poo poo about work and I was even able to do stuff from my old workflow from muscle memory which is spooky.

Are there any maintenance guides for upkeep, lubrication and repair? I'm gonna try to get 20 years out of this thing.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I used a Mirra 2 from 2014-2021. It needed absolutely no maintenance even though it was used heavily by me and my wife.

It was built like a tank and felt like it’d be in perfect working order for decades. If it had better armrests I don’t think I’d have ever sold it. I’ve got an Embody now and used an Aeron before the Mirra 2, but the Mirra has the best build quality out of the three.

I expect the Embody to last and last, but it creaks and I can feel the springs in the seat after a while.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Are there any maintenance guides for upkeep, lubrication and repair? I'm gonna try to get 20 years out of this thing.
it should work great without any maintenance until the hydraulic piston starts slowing down in 15 years.

all can i foresee for regular use is having to tighten up a bolt after a decade or so

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Rollie Fingers posted:

I used a Mirra 2 from 2014-2021. It needed absolutely no maintenance even though it was used heavily by me and my wife.

It was built like a tank and felt like it’d be in perfect working order for decades. If it had better armrests I don’t think I’d have ever sold it. I’ve got an Embody now and used an Aeron before the Mirra 2, but the Mirra has the best build quality out of the three.

I expect the Embody to last and last, but it creaks and I can feel the springs in the seat after a while.

How did the Mirra 2 and Aeron compare in terms of comfort and long-term proper-posture sit-ability?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apropos of nothing but I’ve always found the Aeron is pretty good to slouch in, using the top of the back as a dot of headrest for the base of your skull. Sounds painful but actually pretty decent at the office.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Apropos of nothing but I’ve always found the Aeron is pretty good to slouch in, using the top of the back as a dot of headrest for the base of your skull. Sounds painful but actually pretty decent at the office.

This was my default position with a Mirra 2 on lazy days, and it feels so good to be able to do it again.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Guess how I found an error in the Mirra 2 service manual when the arms I thought I tightened came loose. Fortunately I don't have a torque wrench at the moment so I didn't end up stripping the hell out of the T40 bolt in an attempt to get it up to 330 inch-pounds.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Went ahead and ordered the Black/Cyan Embody, I didn't necessarily want the Logitech version but it was still 300-400$ cheaper than the standard version and I didn't notice significant differences when sitting on both at the HM store.

Now I just have to wait a week and a half or so for it to come.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Unsinkabear posted:

How did the Mirra 2 and Aeron compare in terms of comfort and long-term proper-posture sit-ability?

Mirra 2 is comfortably a better ergonomic experience than the Aeron. It had the best lumbar support out of any chair I’ve tried. The seat pan lacks the thick frame of the Aeron so the chair didn’t dig into my legs. You’d sit with a better posture in the Mirra.

‘Comfort’ is more nuanced though. Mirra’s mesh seat is firmer. I suppose it had to be since the frame isn’t as chunky. It did take me a while to get used to the firmer ride.

Aeron also has better arm rests, but overall though Aeron -> Mirra 2 was a noticeable upgrade for me.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Hell yeah. Been doing this for decades and it is a testament to the Aeron (and HM in general) that my back is not completely hosed as a result. It is finally starting to take a bit of a toll, though, and idk if that is from the mesh stretching slightly over many years of intense use (can't really tell), or just my poo poo posture catching up to me. Been thinking about just grabbing a used Mirra 2 because if it is the latter, I don't know where to start on tuning/replacing the Aeron parts. I've been sitting in it for most of its life so any change has been too slow for me to notice, and I don't have any others I can sit in to compare. No dealerships around here and no other friends who respect their own spines.

Rollie Fingers posted:

Mirra 2 is comfortably a better ergonomic experience than the Aeron. It had the best lumbar support out of any chair I’ve tried. The seat pan lacks the thick frame of the Aeron so the chair didn’t dig into my legs. You’d sit with a better posture in the Mirra.

‘Comfort’ is more nuanced though. Mirra’s mesh seat is firmer. I suppose it had to be since the frame isn’t as chunky. It did take me a while to get used to the firmer ride.

Aeron also has better arm rests, but overall though Aeron -> Mirra 2 was a noticeable upgrade for me.

Interesting, ty. I have a small footrest that already solves the Aeron seat pan problem, but more lumbar support sounds nice. It's either that, or I buy a PostureFit kit to add to the Aeron, and for a chair I'm on the fence about keeping those ain't a cheap addition.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yup I slouch a lot in my Aeron. Didn't take the plunge on the third party headrest as I can just slouch a bit more and get the back of the chair on my skull.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Guess how I found an error in the Mirra 2 service manual when the arms I thought I tightened came loose. Fortunately I don't have a torque wrench at the moment so I didn't end up stripping the hell out of the T40 bolt in an attempt to get it up to 330 inch-pounds.

lmao and i was about to call you a liar for not having a torque wrench until i saw the number

Unsinkabear posted:

Interesting, ty. I have a small footrest that already solves the Aeron seat pan problem
idk if i mention this enough, but a proper footrest is also critical ergonomic equipment, especially for ankle/foot pain!

and yes the Embody passively supports and encourages healthy posture, unlike the Aeron. it’s why it’s the superior chair! it’s the entire point of the chair!

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 15, 2023

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

idk if i mention this enough, but a proper footrest is also critical ergonomic equipment, especially for ankle/foot pain!

Bonus points if you can rock it to keep your ankles happy. Mine is literally just a half-teardrop-shaped slab of foam that is the right height (this is the part that matters most) and it works great

TenementFunster posted:

it’s why it’s the superior chair! it’s the entire point of the chair!

Talk to me when they make a mesh version for us hotbodies :colbert:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Unsinkabear posted:

Bonus points if you can rock it to keep your ankles happy. Mine is literally just a half-teardrop-shaped slab of foam that is the right height (this is the part that matters most) and it works great

Talk to me when they make a mesh version for us hotbodies :colbert:
enormous shoutout to humanscale for fixing my ankle tightness!

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

none of these have rgb or gamer branding, pass

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I like Humanscale stuff visually, but until they make a unit with a wider usable space than 16" I'm out. It's weird that they're the premium option but they only make rockers for one build of person.

Although in fairness every footrest maker is guilty of this, even mine is a whopping 17". Idk what the thought process is there, but as a wider-than-average dude I can assure you that squishing the legs together for 8+ hours a day is not an option for those with balls, and the alternative of bowing my knees out wider than my feet is both less ergonomic and less joint-healthy than it would be to just let me rest the feet a little wider apart. :shrug:

The complete absence of exceptions to the rule is buck wild. It's like the whole ergo industry took that gross "keep an aspirin between your knees" advice extremely literally.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Unsinkabear posted:

I like Humanscale stuff visually, but until they make a unit with a wider usable space than 16" I'm out. It's weird that they're the premium option but they only make rockers for one build of person.

Although in fairness every footrest maker is guilty of this, even mine is a whopping 17". Idk what the thought process is there, but as a wider-than-average dude I can assure you that squishing the legs together for 8+ hours a day is not an option for those with balls, and the alternative of bowing my knees out wider than my feet is both less ergonomic and less joint-healthy than it would be to just let me rest the feet a little wider apart. :shrug:

The complete absence of exceptions to the rule is buck wild. It's like the whole ergo industry took that gross "keep an aspirin between your knees" advice extremely literally.

Can you get one for each foot?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Unsinkabear posted:

try Casual Male XL, husky boy

Zarin posted:

big brain poo poo

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Zarin posted:

You know, I ruled this out at one point but I no longer remember why and my desk has changed since then. I might actually do that (with the cheap foam one, ain't nobody got cash in this economy for one Humanscale per foot).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey so I have an Embody and love it; it's "my chair" forever and always, love that thing and unless something changes I fully expect to keep buying Embodies until I retire.

This might be somewhat afield of what this thread is for, but does anyone have suggestions on Eames Lounger replicas? I want one, but $10k or whatever is too rich for my blood. Honestly, $3k is too rich for my blood. So that's out.

There are tons of replicas though and through my research I notice that this random Chinese company called Curverk (Chinese business names made up for American branding purposes are hilarious but that's another topic). They are doing a sale where you can get this basic one for like $750: https://www.curverk.com/product/eames-lounge-chair-ckty302/

You can also get taller ones... bigger ones... and the main other difference seems to be "top grain" (cheaper) vs. "Full grain", which adds several hundred to the price.

My build is fairly normal but I am very serious about bodybuilding so I am larger than normal for my size- 5'10" and 230 pounds. I'm mostly just dense though; my footprint is larger but not nearly what the weight would suggest. It's still worth noting though as my weight is definitely a factor in how I interact with things holding me.

I'm just trying to figure out what I need here. Does the leather really matter that much? Is this brand the best choice in the space? The internet thinks it is, but it's so hard to tell what's paid and what's organic with these online-only Chinese knockoffs.

The full grain leather version, for contrast: https://www.curverk.com/product/eames-lounge-chair-aniline-leather-ckty318/

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 17, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Taima posted:

This might be somewhat afield of what this thread is for, but does anyone have suggestions on Eames Lounger replicas?
the first question anyone who knows what an eames lounge is and would be impressed by it asks will always be “is it real?” the asker will always look displeased regardless of your answer, because let’s be honest, only dickheads buy these things.

i couldn’t even get one out of the delivery crate and up the elevator without some dork peeking under the ottoman to see if it had the Official Eames Medallion of rear end in a top hat Authenticity

also, they aren’t very comfortable. it’s a glorified cat bed that costs as much as a low-mileage 2017 Toyota Camry

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'd be impressed if anyone in my circles knew what it was and had the passion to acquire a replica. Way more respect for that than anyone who would pay the cost for an equivalent original, tbh

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stressless recliners are comfy.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 17, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Taima posted:

Hey so I have an Embody and love it; it's "my chair" forever and always, love that thing and unless something changes I fully expect to keep buying Embodies until I retire.

This might be somewhat afield of what this thread is for, but does anyone have suggestions on Eames Lounger replicas? I want one, but $10k or whatever is too rich for my blood. Honestly, $3k is too rich for my blood. So that's out.

There are tons of replicas though and through my research I notice that this random Chinese company called Curverk (Chinese business names made up for American branding purposes are hilarious but that's another topic). They are doing a sale where you can get this basic one for like $750: https://www.curverk.com/product/eames-lounge-chair-ckty302/

You can also get taller ones... bigger ones... and the main other difference seems to be "top grain" (cheaper) vs. "Full grain", which adds several hundred to the price.

My build is fairly normal but I am very serious about bodybuilding so I am larger than normal for my size- 5'10" and 230 pounds. I'm mostly just dense though; my footprint is larger but not nearly what the weight would suggest. It's still worth noting though as my weight is definitely a factor in how I interact with things holding me.

I'm just trying to figure out what I need here. Does the leather really matter that much? Is this brand the best choice in the space? The internet thinks it is, but it's so hard to tell what's paid and what's organic with these online-only Chinese knockoffs.

The full grain leather version, for contrast: https://www.curverk.com/product/eames-lounge-chair-aniline-leather-ckty318/

Yes. If you're spending a lot of money on a product with leather, buy the better stuff. Here's your leather 101.
Cows have pretty thick hides and the different parts of the skin are not homogenous. You'd use different cuts and tanning treatments for making a pair of boots vs. a supple pair of gloves. Almost nothing ends up wasted though, everything can be used somewhere. Cows are also big dumb animals that get in fights, do not wear sunscreen, get tangled in fences, and otherwise acquire scars and blotches.
The leather someone wants for that chair should be consistent color, texture, and stout enough to not get weird lines. They also need large contiguous pieces for the seat cushion and back parts because they are not sewn as panels. All else equal, larger pieces cost more because of the haphazard ways that flaws are distributed.

It's not unlike processing lumber and wood products. The biggest, longest and prettiest cuts of the nicest wood will get sold for furniture or making instruments. Some others may get cut into veneers. The sawdust and chips from all that cutting process will get glued together to make fiberboard products.
So it is with leather. The nicest and thickest cuts are going to have a layer planed off the bottom and be sold as full grain. The ones that have some surface flaws are going to have part of the top layer planed off and get bisected another time and have the top sold as "top grain", the middle as "genuine leather", and the bottom sold as suede. For each of these, they'll sometimes also be glued to a fabric substrate on the underside. All of the offcuts, dust, and height variance planed off the leather will get glued together on top of a paper or fabric substrate to make "bonded leather".

The gist of it is that it may look similar, but the full grain leather is more likely to wear better and not develop grooves as deep as the thinner stuff.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The dress shoes thread has a shitload of information about different kinds of leathers if you wanna go into a deep dive on it. Yeah, it’s shoes, but the principles are broadly the same.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tehinternet posted:

The dress shoes thread has a shitload of information about different kinds of leathers if you wanna go into a deep dive on it. Yeah, it’s shoes, but the principles are broadly the same.

Yeah nobody can really answer whether it's "worth it" to the tune of $400 because people value things differently. I'd say that if the $400 difference was between the same chair made with a nice looking blown ABS plastic instead of wood it would be worth it to spend the extra money for the wood. If you also agree with that, then the better leather will be worth it.

Wife just had a job change to where she's spending more time at a desk in front of a computer. I've been using a Steelcase Leap v2 for the last 10 years and just got a nice leather Leap v2 for her on craigslist for $325 to replace the task chair she's been using. She was resistant to spending so much on it and thought we might get lucky finding a cheaper chair that is less adjustable but happens to fit right. She's 6 feet tall (already an outlier) and female (different length proportions in torso, legs, and arms compared to males). There is zero chance that a mass market chair out of the box is going to be ergonomically correct for her.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're in $730 for a chair you might as well be in for $1100

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Thanks Ants posted:

Caution, this way lies the eames

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Thanks Ants posted:

yeah deffo get the full-grain leather, knock-off or no. mine is the “Dream Cow” full grain from SmartFurniture that was a couple hundred extra bucks but is less shiny and feels thicker than the standard leather. it has a bunch of scratches on it from when the cats would fight over it back when the black one was a kitten. thankfully, they reached an accord by dividing up rights to the chair vs. ottoman:

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I bought a "ultra premium tall" model from theiconicchair.com for more money like a year ago. It's fantastic but I'm sure they're all made in the same knockoff factory. Perfect angle for relaxing without actually falling asleep

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

ps I picked up a Logitech Embody and it's a huge improvement over the Gesture leg torture device. should have found this thread first and saved myself some hassle

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

All these terrible broken people saying that the Embody is better that the Gesture. Lol. Freaks I say!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I legitimately choose a Logitech Embody because everything else looked so boring. It’s a home office, my soul is mostly crushed from insurance claims adjusting so at least the spot of color in my office keeps me from going over the edge. The Galaxy color is unique and the size fits my 6 foot 5 frame, that being said I grabbed an Atlas headrest preorder so I could catch some power naps while being on hold trying to find how much negative equity someone has on their Dodge Journey(it’s always alot)

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

All these terrible broken people saying that the Embody is better that the Gesture. Lol. Freaks I say!

FWIW, I've been enjoying my Gesture upgrading from an older, and semi broken, Leap v2. I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Embody though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

secret volcano lair posted:

I bought a … knockoff

ps I picked up a Logitech Embody
new thread enemy located

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

new thread enemy located

He bought an Embody, just let the Eames thing go man.

After all, this is the computer chair thread.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ps I picked up a Logitech Embody and it's a huge improvement over the Gesture leg torture device. should have found this thread first and saved myself some hassle

:haibrower:

The value of this thread is not in the journey, but the destination.

Duck and Cover posted:

If and when you ever have the opportunity to sit in a Not-Gesture, we will finally be able to meet as equals and embrace as brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
First world problems: Ordered my Embody maybe a few days late so i'll have to wait until first week of June to get my chair so now i'm stuck with an Aeron Classic like a poor person for a few more weeks.