Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Team Getting Victor
This poll is closed.
Pistons 7 17.07%
Spurs 14 34.15%
Rockets 2 4.88%
Blazers 4 9.76%
UCONN 6 14.63%
Other 8 19.51%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my sources tell me rivers is out and the only name on the sixers' list is Jim Boylen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rjmccall posted:

Is Embiid not considered part of the Process?

he gets a pass for some reason even though it's pretty clear he's the biggest reason they can't get past the second round

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Maestro posted:

Lmao at getting mad because you assumed somebody else is getting mad
The dude is such a LeBron fan he doesn’t even care that he lost, he’s just so happy for LeBron.

if by fan, you mean literally close friends then sure lol

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

he gets a pass for some reason even though it's pretty clear he's the biggest reason they can't get past the second round

can you expand more on this? is it cause he doesn't perform in high leverage games?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fate Accomplice posted:

can you expand more on this? is it cause he doesn't perform in high leverage games?

It's partially this, but it feels like even in games where he does do well he just completely falls apart in the fourth quarter. And that's his true crime because then you look at his box score and see he had like 33 and 12 and think he was good and the team failed him but he went like 1-8 with two free throws in the last 5 minutes while his team blew a lead or a close game turned into a blowout.

Like in that overtime win he had two points on six shots in the 4th (no free throws) and Harden managed to drag the game into OT.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 15, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I don’t know if it’s conditioning or just inherently how his body is or what, but he has the lowest effort on stuff like getting back on defense or even joining his team on offense. There’s so many plays where he the camera doesn’t even pick him up crossing halfcourt before the ball is going back the other way. He seems to really run out of steam at 40+ minutes.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy
I thought the 76'ers were a paper tiger but I have to give them credit for taking the C's 7 games. If Embiid's knee isn't hosed up maybe he can make it across half court for the whole game. I had to listen to the game on the radio, that picture of Doc with his head in his hands is so depressing.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think Boston are the best team in the league and have been my favourites for the title all year pretty much. Philly pushed them to 7. Sure they shat the bed in the final game but whatever. I don't see how this is some huge endictment of the Sixers really.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think Boston are the best team in the league and have been my favourites for the title all year pretty much. Philly pushed them to 7. Sure they shat the bed in the final game but whatever. I don't see how this is some huge endictment of the Sixers really.

On one hand it's hard to even get to this point of the playoffs, let alone past it

On the other hand they've gotten to this point the last 3 years in a row (and 5 of the last 6 [and 6 of the last 12]) and still can't get past it. Even if it didn't seem like modern-Doc's ceiling in general (for him it's 4 years in a row, 6 of the last 10), it sure seems like theirs by now, whether that's fair or not. When the Bills made their fourth Super Bowl in a row and ended it with no rings to show for it, could you really blame people for thinking they weren't gonna get it done the following year?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Declan MacManus posted:

i’ll say this sort of draft hindsight gazing only really looks bad when you have a lot of picks, and some of those players (jrue particularly) were traded for picks and highly sought after prospects

there’s also the matter that when you hit on two or three of those guys, your team (theoretically) starts improving

finally, some of those prospects (jah, nerlens) were flawed in ways that were not obvious when drafting, and there’s no guarantee that a player will develop the same way on two different teams. brown and tatum were brought along slowly ala kawhi, and sga had a lot of mentorship on those okc teams before taking over the team

there are some gently caress ups, sure, but 14 teams passed on giannis and 10 teams passed on sabonis. it is what it is

now, some of the decisions made outside of the draft? the roster construction? maybe not the best

From the NV Thread

Yeah, 76er drafting seemed fine. They drafted well with guys like Maxey late in the first.I think they wasted an opportunity trying the Embiid/Horford/Tobias/Simmons "2 centers, 2 PF and another guy" lineups. It's also really hard to get to the ECF but Philly really should have the talent to do that.

Honestly, if they didn't pull the Celtics in the 2nd round they'd almost definitely be in the ECF so they need to take care of poo poo during the season.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fate Accomplice posted:

i think he means hes the biggest. hes huge

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
FYI if you complain about the 76ers tanking too hard, then you have to say which player you think they should've built around instead.

Your choices are Jrue, Evan Turner, Noel, or MCW

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

FYI if you complain about the 76ers tanking too hard, then you have to say which player you think they should've built around instead.

I think the way they tanked should be criticized. Similar to Houston right now you have to create environment that helps players develop and not something toxic/detrimental to the young players you bring in.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Drafting the rookie of the year 11th then immediately trading him after he won the award was super funny.

E: oh it was the middle of the next season, misremembered

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Mikal Bridges

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/iamrahstradamus/status/1657872091906015234?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Feel bad for Monty but I’m totally unsurprised by this. I imagine the team would like to try and salvage some value from Ayton if possible and this had to happen for that to happen. Hoping they can unload cp3 posthaste, appreciate his time here but he’s hell of toast

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

This starts out stupid and funny and goes even stupider and funnier directions

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Embiid was and still is the guy to build around.

Coaching has failed him.

Doc seems like the kinda coach you put in there when you have the guys who are ready to go and destroy everything to win. He'll be that voice to point them at what to go after and let them be them. Guys who don't need a coach to set the tone, because the people on the floor are the tone.

Embiid doesn't have that, and I'm not sure that's something you can instill in a guy, but your coach can be that guy if the people on the floor aint. Doc can't be that.

As an aside, they had that guy in Jimmy Butler to light that fire, but 6er ownership loving sucks.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Athanatos posted:

As an aside, they had that guy in Jimmy Butler to light that fire, but 6er ownership loving sucks.

we should have it in this thread too:

https://twitter.com/6toHombreLATAM/status/1657871338147553281

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've seen some articles saying that they will bite the bullet on the guaranteed part of Chris Paul's contract and waive him but they're still a tax team if they do that so probably not. I guess they could stretch it and then go under the tax and have access to the MLE. I'm not sure there's someone looking for the MLE this year that's better than Chris Paul though. I dunno maybe Dennis Schroder?

Seems like a better idea to try and trade it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's 30m, who is trading for that without expecting more to come with it?

Any other bad deals out there that can be swapped?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

It's 30m, who is trading for that without expecting more to come with it?

Any other bad deals out there that can be swapped?

Well, it's hard to tell if this is still the case in the new CBA, but if they trade Chris before his contract becomes guaranteed, it's only like 15.6 million. So he could go to another team with different salary concerns that is okay with waiving him (maybe Utah?), or a team that can put together a couple contracts with $15 mil and is okay paying the tax on the contract when it rolls over to 30 mil.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Well, it's hard to tell if this is still the case in the new CBA, but if they trade Chris before his contract becomes guaranteed, it's only like 15.6 million. So he could go to another team with different salary concerns that is okay with waiving him (maybe Utah?), or a team that can put together a couple contracts with $15 mil and is okay paying the tax on the contract when it rolls over to 30 mil.

Sure, but I'm not sure what would motivate another team to trade for CP3 and then waive him? If Phx has to send picks then I think it's probably better for them to just waive CP3 themselves. Maybe if there was a situation where another bad contract with 2-3 years on it but a better fit with Durant/better for a team in the window. I'm not sure who that would be though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If you have to trade assets to get rid of him why would you even bother? You’re not going to get a better player on the MLE. Your window is now until Durant gets hurt again/old. He shot very poorly in the playoffs but had a solid year over all. He’s not am outright negative on the court yet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Sure, but I'm not sure what would motivate another team to trade for CP3 and then waive him? If Phx has to send picks then I think it's probably better for them to just waive CP3 themselves. Maybe if there was a situation where another bad contract with 2-3 years on it but a better fit with Durant/better for a team in the window. I'm not sure who that would be though.

It's weird, but I've just had the weirdest stupidest trade mulling around in my head around a CP3 and Ayton trade, involving a Vuc S/T, Caruso, Lonzo and Demar.

I haven't bothered to figure out how the money works because it's stupid, but It feels like there's a bulls/suns trade that might be alright for both teams.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
if Doc ends up getting fired, i'm already on the bandwagon of not bringing in a former head coach.

i've basically already fallen in love with jordi fernandez - think he's got something and could be a good HC.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You can’t have him.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Rick posted:

Does PHX even have a pick that can be traded after getting Durant?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A good GM should not have to pay a pick to save another team $15 million.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Harden forces his way onto the suns and philly gets cp3 or nothing. So simple.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1658509048470175746?t=sTK7Hy0rGCZxGXLjjsXh1w&s=19

Becky Hammon getting suspended over saying poo poo about a pregnancy, safe to say she's out of the running for nba jobs with that sort of character issue.

Seriously what the gently caress did she say to warrant a suspension??

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Holy poo poo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NBA players so rarely get pregnant compared to WNBA players, Becky jumped to the wrong league.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

A good GM should not have to pay a pick to save another team $15 million.

Your not saving $15 million if it involves taking on $30m you can't play. If you're sending back another $30m contract you don't want sure, but I don't know who that is.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1658509048470175746?t=sTK7Hy0rGCZxGXLjjsXh1w&s=19

Becky Hammon getting suspended over saying poo poo about a pregnancy, safe to say she's out of the running for nba jobs with that sort of character issue.

Seriously what the gently caress did she say to warrant a suspension??

Hammon accused Hamby by saying something about how Hamby signed her extension while hiding she was pregnant.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/becky-hammon-suspension-aces-dearica-hamby-pregnancy-investigation-wnba/

quote:

Being traded is part of the business. Being lied to, bullied, manipulated, and discriminated against is not. I have had my character and work ethic attacked. I was promised things to entice me to sign my contract extension that were not followed through on. I was accused of signing my extension knowingly pregnant. This is false. I was told that I was ‘a question mark’ and that it was said that I said I would “get pregnant again” and there was a concern for my level of commitment to the team.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Amazing how much our society loves to punish those who populate it for simply populating it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That's all quite disgusting but what is the official policy in women's professional sports around pregnancy? Are there contract stipulations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's all quite disgusting but what is the official policy in women's professional sports around pregnancy? Are there contract stipulations?

I think WNBA explicitly protects it, which is why the hammer is coming down hard.