Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Let's go Manson!

E: bad snipe, and just saw the mod redirect to appropriate thread. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Called it!
Trump is going to have to sell an awful lot of state secrets to pay for this, since you know he's likely to repeat this at every Town Hall.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Infinite money glitch.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
For Trump legal and political issues go hand in hand.

Trump isn't trying to avoid the courts, his motive is to be reelected president and to do that he needs to appeal to and solidify his base around him.

His base has already assimilated Trump losing a defamation case as Trump winning the case because the Jury didn't say her raped her, just that he held her down in a dressing room and stuck his fingers in her which is not rape and so obviously this is all a witch hunt by corrupt democrats and corrupt judges.

Trump ignoring court orders and doing the nasty poo poo he does and getting away with it is him furthering his "tough guy" identity with his base. Paying a fine is him getting away with it because of his other persistent illusion with his base that he has the wealth of Croesus and his 7th level chess business acumen just recoups any losses instantly never mind the constant and sometimes illegal begging for money.

Being in court gets Trump into the media where he can leak stuff to spin it to his benefit and demand money and that is the game.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Have they noticed that it takes ten months for anything to go to trial, or are they just going to keep "building ironclad cases" until February of 2025? That the phrase "leading presidential candidate" has even been accepted is a strong signal that the stupid aren't going to get their heads out of their asses before the 2024 election, giving even more support to firing up the dozen cases and hundreds of indictments today... while there's still a hope of a number of guilty verdicts being reached before autumn 24.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Have they noticed that it takes ten months for anything to go to trial, or are they just going to keep "building ironclad cases" until February of 2025?

They're waiting for him to die.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Then charge him!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna83959

quote:

Trump's comments on Mar-a-Lago documents 'like red meat to a prosecutor'
The former president's remarks at a CNN town hall Wednesday night could help the special counsel investigating his handling of classified documents, legal experts say.

Former President Donald Trump’s comments Wednesday night about his handling of classified documents appeared to contradict statements by his lawyers, and provide potentially important evidence for federal prosecutors investigating whether to charge him with a crime, legal experts say.

Trump’s lawyers told Congress last month that the classified documents found at his Mar-a-Lago compound got there by accident. But when questioned about the issue at a CNN town hall, Trump said he had “every right” to take them from the White House.

“I didn’t make a secret of it,” he said. “You know, the boxes were stationed outside the White House, people were taking pictures of it.”

He said he didn’t recall having shown secret material to others, which is a key question prosecutors would want to answer. Disclosing classified material to people not authorized to receive it is a crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Asked if he showed classified documents to others, he answered, “Not really…I would have the right to,” later adding, “not that I can think of.”

“Trump’s comments hurt him, and what he said is significant,” said John Fishwick, a former U.S. attorney for the Western District of Virginia who was appointed during the Obama administration.

“Not only do they contradict his legal position, he admits to possession and knowledge of classified documents that he is taking from the White House. Jack Smith will make good use of last night’s town hall and it will help him button up his case.”

Smith, a special counsel, is running investigations into the classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago and into Trump’s efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election. Another special counsel, Robert Hur, is investigating the circumstances around the classified documents found at President Joe Biden’s home and office.

Andrew Weissmann, a former FBI general counsel and NBC News contributor who worked for special counsel Robert Mueller in the investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election, said Trump’s unwillingness to rule out showing classified documents to others "is like red meat to a prosecutor.”

In their letter last month to the chair of the House Intelligence Committee, Trump’s lawyers suggested that classified documents were sent to Mar-a-Lago unintentionally, mixed in by accident with other records.

“When President Trump left office, there was little time to prepare for the outgoing transition from the presidency,” said the letter from attorneys Tim Parlatore, John Rowley, James Trusty and Lindsay Halligan. “Unlike his three predecessors, each of whom had over four years to prepare for their departure upon completion of their second term, President Trump had a much shorter time to wind up his administration. White House staffers and General Service Administration (“GSA”) employees quickly packed everything into boxes and shipped them to Florida.”

The lawyers suggested later in the letter that Trump initially was not aware of the presence of classified material.

"Trump asked his staff to retrieve 15 boxes that had been moved to Mar-a-Lago so he could see what was in them before they were sent to NARA in Washington, D.C.," they wrote, referring to the National Archives and Records Administration. "However, due to other demands on his time, President Trump subsequently directed his staff to ship the boxes to NARA without any review by him or his staff."

They added that the discovery of classified documents at the homes of Biden and former Vice President Mike Pence should dispel “any doubts that the presence of marked documents in the boxes was the result of White House institutional processes, rather than intentional decisions by President Trump.”

Trump seemed to undermine that account Wednesday night, saying, “I was there and I took what I took and it gets declassified,” which is not true.

One of Trump's lawyers pushed back against the idea that such comments are problematic.

"It’s completely consistent with what was in our letter," Parlatore said in an email. "He was allowed to take these documents with him, because the customs that have been followed…for past presidents were not followed for President Trump. This is one of the reasons why we have asked Congress to take a look at this to fix it for future administrations."

Former Trump national security adviser John Bolton told NBC News last year that Trump had a habit of keeping highly classified documents given to him an intelligence briefings. He said aides began blowing up maps and charts to poster size so Trump could not pocket them.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Every time I get through some gassed up "this is HUGE legal trouble for trump, this is IMMEDIATELY prosecutable, it is one TRILLION percent illegal according to spengwicker county v. a box of Spencer's Gifts novelty penis pasta" article, I'm like great all you did is further reinforce how difficult it is to conclude he doesn't benefit from a clearly different system and standard of legal accountability to be able to still be out shittin on his gold toilet after over half a decade of repeatedly stocking up on felony bullshit advertised clearly on tv

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Concur, with the skepticism. If you have an unsolved series of murders and someone goes on TV and claims they did it, you investigate. If you have a charge sheet the size of a presidential library and they go on TV and admit they may have "taken" a fork from the WH dining room, you realize that won't be admissible as evidence anyway and you need to prevent the furtherance of the crimes.

This doesn't end well for the country (in my opinion) without a finding of guilt on at least one significant count. If he dies first, it'll be 25yr of "they never found anything, oh look how persecuted he was, our savior!", which is exactly where they're at right now. If they bring up 100 charges and he's found guilty on all of them, it's clearly rigged/"witch hunt", or they wasted everyone's time in the name of "perfect court case". When he's found guilty of half of them, lawmakers have a chance to fix the gaps and the minions can whine about "but he was innocent of point an AR-15 at Pence!", but that'll die out quickly compared to "poo poo we have to think about the types of criminals who get our votes".

Maybe authors with more social and political psych skills have written about this online?

(And rambling, someone had to be first. If it wasn't T, it would have been W or F or some other R down the road. This T poo poo is drowning out January 6. The country is still at war against domestic terrorism. Rs wanted patriot acts, so let's see everyone near or in the capitol chipped and tagged and tracked! :razz:)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Staluigi posted:

Every time I get through some gassed up "this is HUGE legal trouble for trump, this is IMMEDIATELY prosecutable, it is one TRILLION percent illegal according to spengwicker county v. a box of Spencer's Gifts novelty penis pasta" article, I'm like great all you did is further reinforce how difficult it is to conclude he doesn't benefit from a clearly different system and standard of legal accountability to be able to still be out shittin on his gold toilet after over half a decade of repeatedly stocking up on felony bullshit advertised clearly on tv

Jean Carroll has bigger balls than any prosecutor in the nation. Nothing is holding them back that didn't apply to her, worse.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Jack Smiths team has issued hundreds of subpoenas and had multiple court battles over appearances, some which have only been adjudicated favorably within the last few weeks. Scavino, Miller and Meadows appeals failed just in April.

Like, I get that it’s hard to see movement in a very secret investigation but you can’t really expect an indictment of Trump while the key witnesses were still fighting being deposed.

I think that Trump will be indicted in Georgia, Michigan and Federally before the year is out and it won’t just be him, it will include dozens of other high ranking state and national republicans, some of them current office holders, and members of his White House staff and campaign staff and others.

I also think there will be several senate and house members whose criminal behavior will be documented even though they may skate out on a speech and debate exception depending on how a current battle over what “corruptly” means in this context.

I don’t think people fully appreciate the scope of these investigations or how thoroughly the legal ground is being set in preparation for this.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Murgos posted:

Jack Smiths team has issued hundreds of subpoenas and had multiple court battles over appearances, some which have only been adjudicated favorably within the last few weeks. Scavino, Miller and Meadows appeals failed just in April.

Like, I get that it’s hard to see movement in a very secret investigation but you can’t really expect an indictment of Trump while the key witnesses were still fighting being deposed.

I think that Trump will be indicted in Georgia, Michigan and Federally before the year is out and it won’t just be him, it will include dozens of other high ranking state and national republicans, some of them current office holders, and members of his White House staff and campaign staff and others.

I also think there will be several senate and house members whose criminal behavior will be documented even though they may skate out on a speech and debate exception depending on how a current battle over what “corruptly” means in this context.

I don’t think people fully appreciate the scope of these investigations or how thoroughly the legal ground is being set in preparation for this.

I’ll admit that I’m just damned impatient. I want to see the man tried for his crimes, especially as to how we have his admissions of guilt and the blatant evidence that already exists out there. If it lasts until 2024, will they then have a decorum attack and pull back until the election is over?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Justice delayed is, I dunno, something something or whatever.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jean Carroll has bigger balls than any prosecutor in the nation. Nothing is holding them back that didn't apply to her, worse.

Besides the fact that the burden of proof for criminal prosecutions is higher than civil suits?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

V-Men posted:

Besides the fact that the burden of proof for criminal prosecutions is higher than civil suits?

The burden of proof is not what's holding any of these back. Many of Trump's crimes were committed in public, often on video in front of large crowds, and he usually confesses them when asked because he is incapable of admitting that anything he did might have been wrong.

The issue is prosecutorial cowardice. See, e.g., https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/nyregion/trump-investigation-felony-resignation-pomerantz.html. Prosecutors aren't willing to roll the dice on a case they *might* lose, and any prosecution of Trump is a *might*-lose case because you can always end up with a chud or two on the jury who wouldn't convict him if an angel came down from heaven into the courtroom with a flaming sword to testify.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 15, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The angel is just more evidence of the deep state conspiracy against Trump.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The burden of proof is not what's holding any of these back. Many of Trump's crimes were committed in public, often on video in front of large crowds, and he usually confesses them when asked because he is incapable of admitting that anything he did might have been wrong.

The issue is prosecutorial cowardice. See, e.g., https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/nyregion/trump-investigation-felony-resignation-pomerantz.html. Prosecutors aren't willing to roll the dice on a case they *might* lose, and any prosecution of Trump is a *might*-lose case because you can always end up with a chud or two on the jury who wouldn't convict him if an angel came down from heaven into the courtroom with a flaming sword to testify.

When you come at the king you best not miss. --Omar Little

Basically two horrible things would happen to the prosecutor if he's indicted, brought to trial and found not guilty.

a) His career as a prosecutor would be over.
b) His career as a prosecutor would be over.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cimber posted:

Basically two horrible things would happen to the prosecutor if he's indicted, brought to trial and found not guilty.

That, and there's a non-trivial chance that some crazed moron would try to assassinate the prosecutor.

But, like, that's the job. Have some courage.

The answer to this problem is multiple parallel prosecutions; only one of them has to win to put him away for the rest of his life. But each individual prosecutor is too scared for their careers.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Given the success of the prosecutions against the Proud Boys and Oathkeepers, I don't think there's a large concern over being able to field a jury in Washington, DC that is open to the idea that Trump is guilty of a crime. I'm not a federal prosecutor, but I didn't think it'd be as easy as taking a video supercut of his public statements and saying case closed. At least for the classified docs case, you need a strong trail leading to the fact that he knew those documents were leaving the White House and going to Mar A Lago, and him saying "I didn't do it, but if i did, it'd be legal" is not smoking gun evidence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cimber posted:

I think it'd also be pretty bad for the country as a whole if Trump were prosecuted, only to be found "not guilty". Prosecuting a former president, who's still politically active, for acts he committed while president? It needs to be absolutely ironclad, to reinforce that those acts were actually very very bad, and also to reduce the chance it's seen as politically-motivated.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also, just playing Devil's Advocate, but going at Trump and losing potentially hurts ever case in the future.

Losing a case obviously has the benefit that he can spin it as being all a part of an unjustified witch hunt against him. And if the case was even tangential connected to another criminal case, Trump suddenly has knowledge of another prosecutors evidence before they are ready to run and it might scupper.

To give an example, R. Kelly was charged in 2002 over a sex tape of (allegedly) him having sex with an (alleged) minor. He was acquitted (one report I read on the case was the prosecution basically kept playing the sex tape and hoped that would be enough to get the jury to convict).
Kelly's acquital definitely made it far harder to bring future cases against him until the evidence became overwhelming.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Aww drat Trump would say it's a witch hunt? Well that would certainly be an escalation from now, definitely can't let that happen.

There is certainly a need for getting a solid case. The time needed for that has pretty much passed, if we go into year 3 without him being charged its pure cowardice

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 15, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
We really need to stop making decisions based on the idea that "the other side will use this against us." Trump and his ilk will happily make things up out of whole cloth. They don't need facts or reality at all. So you might as well just do the right thing and call out their lies as lies (stop using "alternative facts", "both sides", and other weasel words. Lies are lies.), and prosecute the hell out of their many crimes.

We don't let a gang leader off the hook because they keep committing crimes so fast the prosecutors can't keep up. Trump is just a gang leader with a large, and largely cowardly, gang. Prosecute him.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"we can't do x, the GOP will use it to abuse the system when they gain power!"
Cut to -->
"The GOP did x anyway and are abusing the system"

Every loving time

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Piell posted:

Aww drat Trump would say it's a witch hunt? Well that would certainly be an escalation from now, definitely can't let that happen.

There is certainly a need for getting a solid case. The time needed for that has pretty much passed, if we go into year 3 without him being charged its pure cowardice

Ynglaur posted:

We really need to stop making decisions based on the idea that "the other side will use this against us." Trump and his ilk will happily make things up out of whole cloth. They don't need facts or reality at all. So you might as well just do the right thing and call out their lies as lies (stop using "alternative facts", "both sides", and other weasel words. Lies are lies.), and prosecute the hell out of their many crimes.

We don't let a gang leader off the hook because they keep committing crimes so fast the prosecutors can't keep up. Trump is just a gang leader with a large, and largely cowardly, gang. Prosecute him.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"we can't do x, the GOP will use it to abuse the system when they gain power!"
Cut to -->
"The GOP did x anyway and are abusing the system"

Every loving time

So are all of you of the mind that there is no worse level of republican governmental disruption that could result from a not guilty verdict of Trump?

Don't people on this website constantly compare the Dems to Charlie Brown, getting the football pulled out right at the last second by Lucy? Maybe the Dems should start out with all the slam dunk cases, and when they've bagged those they can circle back to the less tempting fruit. More than anything the Dems need to stop beating themselves by acting loving stupid . That includes providing Trump with additional ammunition for his insane rhetoric.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Grip it and rip it posted:

So are all of you of the mind that there is no worse level of republican governmental disruption that could result from a not guilty verdict of Trump?

Don't people on this website constantly compare the Dems to Charlie Brown, getting the football pulled out right at the last second by Lucy? Maybe the Dems should start out with all the slam dunk cases, and when they've bagged those they can circle back to the less tempting fruit. More than anything the Dems need to stop beating themselves by acting loving stupid . That includes providing Trump with additional ammunition for his insane rhetoric.

There are absolutely worse levels of government disruption from a not guilty verdict of Trump. An insurrection, for example. The part I bolded above is where I get hung up. The Dems don't need to "give him ammunition." He'll make his own. So don't make decisions based on how Trump might position something. Just do the right thing.

Yes, doing the right thing probably includes having a very, very strong assurance of a conviction, and I realize that takes time.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Piell posted:

I think this is one of those things where federal investigations take a hella long time. It took two years to investigate, try, and convict 3 separate groups for seditious conspiracy, and that's only because they were dumb enough to plan their stuff by phone.

On the other hand is a guy who is paranoid enough to almost never use his own phone when he wants to just talk to people and has mastered double-talking to stay in legal gray areas. That's a hell lot more work.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

V-Men posted:

"I didn't do it, but if i did, it'd be legal" is not smoking gun evidence.

IIRC this is basically what Reagan did regarding the whole iran/contra deal

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Piell posted:

Why? It's not like they're sitting on their hands and doing nothing. The investigation has been moving along this entire time. Maybe not as fast as you'd like, but there's a large number of people involved in all this, many of whom have good lawyers and a lot of poo poo they don't really want to admit to.

If you were hoping for the DoJ to prevent Trump from running again, that's a hope you're going to have to give up on. It's been pretty clear for a while that it was unlikely they're gonna have him in jail by Nov 2024, and he can still run even if he's in jail.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Any and all cases and investigations against him (including ones that have "moved along", complete with breathless predictions from liberal-leaning media) so far have almost exclusively amounted to that "ah, well, nevertheless" comic. This latest one will be no different.

Any actual meaningful consequences of any kind just straight up aren't happening for Trump. There are 2 systems of justice in this country, this is pretty well established.

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 15, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mutata posted:

Any and all cases and investigations against him (including ones that have "moved along", complete with breathless predictions from liberal-leaning media) so far have almost exclusively amounted to that "ah, well, nevertheless" comic. This latest one will be no different.

Any actual meaningful consequences of any kind just straight up aren't happening for Trump. There are 2 systems of justice in this country, this is pretty well established.

Actual events have already proved this wrong. Please stop posting this sort of doomerism bullshit.

Trump already has criminal indictments against him in the NY tax fraud case, he's already had a jury unanimously find him guilty in the sex harassment case.

You're just blowing nonsense.

The other cases against him continue to move forward. They're complicated, with lots of loose ends to tie up. They're coming eventually. You have unrealistic expectations for how fast justice works.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

IIRC this is basically what Reagan did regarding the whole iran/contra deal

Having a human cane toad covering things up also helped. Which is also why Trump used him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
:airquote:Justice:airquote: in this country works really, *REALLY* god drat fast if you're not a rich, white guy politician. So fast that a lot of people end up dead on the street before they get their day in court. Even if they do actually manage to get to a trial it's frequently after spending the intervening time in pre-trial detention possibly without even a lawyer up to that point.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Deteriorata posted:

Actual events have already proved this wrong. Please stop posting this sort of doomerism bullshit.

Trump already has criminal indictments against him in the NY tax fraud case, he's already had a jury unanimously find him guilty in the sex harassment case.

The other cases against him continue to move forward. They're complicated, with lots of loose ends to tie up. They're coming eventually. You have unrealistic expectations for how fast justice works.

Yes, and these things are good. But to the OPs point, can you point to any non-monetary consequences Trump has faced to date?

He walked out of his arraignment. He flew to his golf course in Scotland during the Carroll trial. He's currently living it up however he feels while "on trial" (next step dates months away) in NY.

Nothing has changed his day to day life. He continues committing crimes and lying in public. He's still running for office and the GOP is paralyzed to speak out against his candidacy. The mafia lord continues to rule his fiefdom and collect money from his loyal subjects.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Deteriorata posted:

I think the OP is right and also think it's not doomerism to notice that very very few rich people ever suffer for their crimes.

In Trump's case, every single charge or court case is just further truth to his base that the Deep State is out to get him and proof of selective prosecution by a supposedly bunch of very far left, liberal members of the motherfucking FBI of all things. His followers double down on this poo poo and Donald knows it. He's pretty dumb but seems to understand how to game publicity and things like that. CNN just gave him 90 minutes to talk his unique brand of bullshit.

In a sane and just world, he'd be immediately disqualified and laughed out of the loving room as a viable presidential candidate but I still think he can win next year.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The money he lost from the sex harassment case is nothing to him and will be paid for by donations and campaign funds.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

:airquote:Justice:airquote: in this country works really, *REALLY* god drat fast if you're not a rich, white guy politician. So fast that a lot of people end up dead on the street before they get their day in court. Even if they do actually manage to get to a trial it's frequently after spending the intervening time in pre-trial detention possibly without even a lawyer up to that point.

Federal investigations of multi-year conspiracies to take over the country with the aid of numerous highly-placed officials tend to go pretty slow regardless of how much money the main mastermind has.

Seriously, when comparing Trump to a guy who shoplifted some poo poo from Wal-Mart or mildly annoyed a cop, you have to realize that there are differences between those cases besides "one is rich, the other is poor".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Actual events have not proved any of this, and my post was the most milquetoast critique of the American justice system in the 21st century. I completely reject that my expectations are "unrealistic", and my criticism is not merely about "abloo bloo why is this taking so long?" Trump has quite literally gotten away with MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CRIME, and I'm only talking about the cases that have either already wrapped or were smothered in the cradle. American government, law, politicians, and for the most part population are content to let this person in particular do whatever he wants, when he wants, to whomever he wants, and no one has the loving balls and the authority at the same time to do anything about it. Period.

lol, pull your head out.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He continues committing crimes and lying in public. He's still running for office and the GOP is paralyzed to speak out against his candidacy. The mafia lord continues to rule his fiefdom and collect money from his loyal subjects.

As has already been mentioned, these would still happen even if he were found guilty and imprisoned immediately for the rest of his life. Prisoners can still communicate and lie in public. Prisoners can still run for office. Prisoners can still lead political parties. Prisoners can still fundraise. Nothing you are demanding happen as a result of his criminal trials can happen as a result of criminal trials in the United States. (Technically, a court might be able to prevent him from communicating certain things publicly, but judges almost always refuse to issue prior restraint orders in general, especially broad ones, not least because the Supreme Court has ruled that they must demonstrate inevitable, direct, immediate damage to the US as a result of that speech.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

If he gets put in a fed prison under SAMs, he wouldn't be doing much of any of that. Granted I think that is extraordinarily unlikely to transpire.

But there are options for preventing that kind of speech and communication from prison.