Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brain Issues posted:

Eminence has released a line of speakers called "CannaBase" which features a hemp cone and a CBD coating. I thought this was an april fools joke, and I'm still hoping that it is.

KozmoNaut posted:

Every stoner/doom band just perked their collective ears.

I was going to say I wanted these just to blast Stoned Jesus over them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT0bItp5GzI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Brain Issues posted:

Eminence has released a line of speakers called "CannaBase" which features a hemp cone and a CBD coating. I thought this was an april fools joke, and I'm still hoping that it is.

quote:

Eminence is proud to introduce the the CannaBass™ CB3010N-8. Designed with the modern musician in mind, the CB3010N-8 is engineered to deliver a cleaner and more authentic sound through a unique combination of cutting-edge speaker technology, a hemp dust cap, and a proprietary CBD coating.

The CB3010N-8's black paper cone is coated with a special CBD formula on the back, which provides organic and natural damping properties that enhance its smooth frequency response. This innovative coating technology ensures that the CB3010N-8 produces a pristine sound that is true to the original source.

:laffo: what

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Producers and musicians smoke so much weed the speaker cones in most major studios are infused with stale smoke

now you can hear it as it was mastered.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I want this Geshelli DAC. I want it.

https://youtu.be/USbDI8OQP7s

I don't know whether to go with an AKM or a Sabre DAC :ohdear:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Gramps posted:

The thing that pisses me off the most about Audiophiles is how smug they are about the stupid poo poo they got suckered into buying. Every Snake Oil claim about audio can be measured. Easily. Anyone with a brain can run the same signal through 2 different cables, capture it, then flip polarity on one and play them back together. If they null, no loving difference between the signals (they almost always null completely by the way). If they DON'T null, you can just compare the 2 waveforms and determine and quantify the differences between the 2 signals. They don't do that because they would be exposed immediately. The day there is a scientifically backed claim with evidence I'll be there. If a cable comes out and says it's scientifically proven to have less signal loss over comparable cables and also has a .5 db bump centered at 380hz, then those are things you can measure and PROVE. sound can be measured. Very loving accurately. Bunch of goddamn morons

ok maybe I'll just stick with that $80 DAC that he recommended a few days ago :sweatdrop:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

olives black posted:

ok maybe I'll just stick with that $80 DAC that he recommended a few days ago :sweatdrop:

Just read this thread from Amir at ASR, see if you still want it by the end of the thread. It seems alright, but probably too expensive for what you get.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/geshelli-jnog2-review-balanced-dac.34811/

E: if you really must spend ~$300 on your DAC, this is probably the one to get : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e70-stereo-dac-review.39188/ , but you really should only bother doing this after your speakers>sub>amp are already excellent, if at all

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 12, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mederlock posted:

Just read this thread from Amir at ASR, see if you still want it by the end of the thread. It seems alright, but probably too expensive for what you get.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/geshelli-jnog2-review-balanced-dac.34811/

E: if you really must spend ~$300 on your DAC, this is probably the one to get : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e70-stereo-dac-review.39188/ , but you really should only bother doing this after your speakers>sub>amp are already excellent, if at all

audiosciencereview.com posted:

There is no manual for the unit in the box and I could not find one online either.

ok i no longer want it :sweep:

Thanks for the help!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

olives black posted:

ok i no longer want it :sweep:

Thanks for the help!

They actually posted the manual like, 8 posts in, lmao

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mederlock posted:

They actually posted the manual like, 8 posts in, lmao

:tipshat:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Doping the cone with some form of solution or coating is a common way to control the stiffness Kms & the compliance Cms as a function of excursion (X). Those are two major contributing factors to distortion components.

Using CBD obviously gives mellower highs.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Can confirm, I just blew a huge bong rip into my speakers and now my music sounds so much better than a few minutes ago.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I continue to be fascinated and flabbergasted by people who pimp expensive CD transports.

This one's $3000 dollars

https://youtu.be/uKQTf1loUvM

like I get maybe buying a used CD player with an optical/coax out to skip the whole FLAC ripping step but :wtc: that is several months of rent money my dude

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

olives black posted:

I continue to be fascinated and flabbergasted by people who pimp expensive CD transports.

This one's $3000 dollars

like I get maybe buying a used CD player with an optical/coax out to skip the whole FLAC ripping step but :wtc: that is several months of rent money my dude

"and it added this like, lush and immaculate sound to everything i played"

i love all the nonsense phrases audiophiles come up with to describe something that sounds exactly the same as the thing that costs 1/10 as much

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

dc3k posted:

"and it added this like, lush and immaculate sound to everything i played"

i love all the nonsense phrases audiophiles come up with to describe something that sounds exactly the same as the thing that costs 1/10 as much

It's especially egregious when it's something that's just a lossless digital source. I get how everything from the DAC to the speakers can have subtle differences, but a CD drive is a goddamn CD drive.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I rock a Gishelli JNOG2 modified with a Sparkos SS2590 pro opamp running the analog line outs. It's INSANE. I've never heard a better dac, and by that I mean the staging and overall 3D factor is the best ive heard. I got the AKM one.
In cedar :D

redeyes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 14, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
oh god what have i done

https://youtu.be/1PA9ql8moF8

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Wayne Knight posted:

I have seen venetian snares live and it was the laziest thing I've ever seen. Dude just smoked next to his laptop while winamp or w/e played.
Went to a linux convention in the same road trip!

that's a bummer. there's a photo out there somewhere of him mixing between two CRT-connected computers running trackers, which as far as live electronic music performances go is p cool imo

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

olives black posted:

that's a bummer. there's a photo out there somewhere of him mixing between two CRT-connected computers running trackers, which as far as live electronic music performances go is p cool imo

It could be that they hosed his rider up. Ten plus years ago his tech rider required Denon CD decks rather than the usual Pioneer because he preferred that the platter was motorised like a vinyl deck on the Denon. Nobody else used the drat things so it was always a nightmare to source when he played in the UK. One promoter bought a set from a DJ store with a generous returns policy and took them back after the weekend.

I’ve had a few mad experiences with him. I remember trying to convince someone to lend an original TB303 for a Speed Dealer Moms set after him & Frusciante had burned out three units with wild control voltage stuff in rehearsals. At one festival where I’d gone to say hi, he just poured mushrooms into my hand and said “you need these”

After he got into modular the sets I’ve seen have been on hardware, all through pretty well run Funktion One rigs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

get a microphone

lavs are cheap

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

get a microphone

lavs are cheap

I made what I think are some reasonable purchases mostly on his recommendations, but if he's doing poo poo like pimping $150 power cables then I feel pretty stupid for recommending his channel.

my posts are now this thread's communion

https://youtu.be/tSHHl7aRX9o

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

You fool!

You utter buffoon! How could you trust someone else on the Internet?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

olives black posted:

This one's $3000 dollars

that is several months of rent money my dude
I wish

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

That gives them way too much credit, weird academic poo poo is at least cool on account of being weird and historically/artistically/academically interesting

90% of audiophile demo music is just like Norah Jones and Michael Bublé

Make sure to get the limited edition $450 reel to reel release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttsL1fPJnSw

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Neurophonic posted:

It could be that they hosed his rider up. Ten plus years ago his tech rider required Denon CD decks rather than the usual Pioneer because he preferred that the platter was motorised like a vinyl deck on the Denon. Nobody else used the drat things so it was always a nightmare to source when he played in the UK. One promoter bought a set from a DJ store with a generous returns policy and took them back after the weekend.

I’ve had a few mad experiences with him. I remember trying to convince someone to lend an original TB303 for a Speed Dealer Moms set after him & Frusciante had burned out three units with wild control voltage stuff in rehearsals. At one festival where I’d gone to say hi, he just poured mushrooms into my hand and said “you need these”

After he got into modular the sets I’ve seen have been on hardware, all through pretty well run Funktion One rigs.

I imagine that this was your friend's response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSts2s4ba4

also I would be terrified of any mind-altering substance Aaron Funk gave me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

olives black posted:

I made what I think are some reasonable purchases mostly on his recommendations, but if he's doing poo poo like pimping $150 power cables then I feel pretty stupid for recommending his channel.

my posts are now this thread's communion

https://youtu.be/tSHHl7aRX9o

I can’t take Randy seriously after watching a bunch of his watch recommendations

like there’s literally no reason in the world to ever buy Invicta/etc when loving Seiko and Citizen and Casio and even Timex and Swatch exist

it’s like having a YouTube channel that reviews shein purchases, just cursed in concept and on principle

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I can’t take Randy seriously after watching a bunch of his watch recommendations

like there’s literally no reason in the world to ever buy Invicta/etc when loving Seiko and Citizen and Casio and even Timex and Swatch exist

it’s like having a YouTube channel that reviews shein purchases, just cursed in concept and on principle

I hate the feeling of pretty much anything on my wrists so I never would have bumped into those videos. Could have saved myself several hours of watching his other stuff :psyduck:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I was going to say, "Where, Nebraska?"

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

olives black posted:

This one's $3000 dollars

Man I spent $10 on a Sony CD player with optical out a thrift shop a few years ago and even that felt excessive.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I found a nice Harmon Kardon 5 CD carousel with a passable DAC and an optical out that I found at a thrift shop for $10, that was a nice find and about the most I'd spend on a CD player

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

olives black posted:

I imagine that this was your friend's response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSts2s4ba4

also I would be terrified of any mind-altering substance Aaron Funk gave me

Extremely accurate. Sadly the set got cancelled, which is a shame because I was genuinely curious about the collaboration.

I didn’t eat the shrooms, either. The fact I can’t remember exactly what year this happened suggests they were simply not necessary.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mederlock posted:

I found a nice Harmon Kardon 5 CD carousel with a passable DAC and an optical out that I found at a thrift shop for $10, that was a nice find and about the most I'd spend on a CD player

The thing is, I have absolutely no need for a dedicated CD player. I’ve got at least seven devices capable of playing CDs, three of them supporting digital playback over HDMI. I just enjoy the pointless extravagance of having a dedicated device that does nothing but play CDs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Audiophiles have poopy butts and they smell bad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Audiophiles have poopy butts and they smell bad.
Sorry you aren't able to experience pure audible joy. Having just the right amount of poopy butt helps you perceive the quantum fluctuations you only get to experience on the most expensive of systems. The true essence of the sound captured by a 768kHz sampling rate interact with the smell particles wafting up from your crack give the music an amazing texture that fondles your earballs in ways you've never imagined.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

wolrah posted:

Sorry you aren't able to experience pure audible joy. Having just the right amount of poopy butt helps you perceive the quantum fluctuations you only get to experience on the most expensive of systems. The true essence of the sound captured by a 768kHz sampling rate interact with the smell particles wafting up from your crack give the music an amazing texture that fondles your earballs in ways you've never imagined.

Sounds muddy

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Mederlock posted:

Can someone point me to a resource that compares some passable vs not-passable DACS?

I’m curious what the difference is since I would have thought this was a mostly solved issue. Like is it mainly just noise on the analog side that makes a lovely DAC?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I stumbled into /r/audiophile and the sponsored post the algorithm chose to serve me was for a Legalzoom-esque divorce service.

It's either that or because I've been shopping for guitar stuff, maybe both.

That's just the jitter, did you miss where we just said you need to mellow out the speaker cones with hifi-grade weed smoke

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

namlosh posted:

Can someone point me to a resource that compares some passable vs not-passable DACS?

I’m curious what the difference is since I would have thought this was a mostly solved issue. Like is it mainly just noise on the analog side that makes a lovely DAC?

Noise floor, linear volume and frequency response between left and right channels, and DAC's affect the EQ of music, ie. They may boost or cut certain frequencies, either unintentionally which may sound muddy or harsh or hollow, or intentionally and they'll usually do the typical Loudness thing where they'll bump the Bass and Treble or they'll do the audiophile grift thing and boost the frequencies that enhance the goofy music the audiophile dorks like to listen to. A good DAC will just reproduce the frequency response as it was received digitally.

The CD player I got is from the mid '90s, and it does okay but there is some noise and it doesn't sound quite right I guess? I connected it to my modern Onkyo's optical in to the ESS Sabre brand DAC that they put in it and it just sounds better than the analog out. Doing a DAC right is very cheap these days so audiophiles find all sorts of ways to re-complicate it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I stumbled into /r/audiophile and the sponsored post the algorithm chose to serve me was for a Legalzoom-esque divorce service.

It's either that or because I've been shopping for guitar stuff, maybe both.

lol goddamn

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

namlosh posted:

At this point it's mostly just poor design/build on the analog stage that can harm measurements, or bad USB implementation. Here's the thing though: barring some actual faults they're probably all passable for listening to music in a real world environment. Most of the thing that's wrong with high end DACs is the price, and a lot of the arguing is because cheap units can perform measurably [but usually not audibly] better than expensive ones. Basically, what's the point of some kilobuck thing in a full size case when for $80 you can get this and it's perfect by the means we have to measure it?

Mederlock posted:

Doing a DAC right is very cheap these days so audiophiles find all sorts of ways to re-complicate it.
So much of the "conventional wisdom" about digital audio is just some throwaway comment from a magazine review in 1986 that has been repeated so many times it becomes "true."

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

qirex posted:

Basically, what's the point of some kilobuck thing in a full size case when for $80 you can get this and it's perfect by the means we have to measure it?

Just ordered one of these, should be getting it in a day or two.

I have neither the expertise nor the tools to measure it myself. I can A/B it against my PS4 or something through the same amp and speakers if the thread really wants me to, I suppose.

And I agree with the thread, these really don't seem like the kinds of devices that benefit from hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of bells and whistles.