Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://twitter.com/TuurboGrafX/status/1658125373001875459

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh yeah, I have a question regarding progression, I heard clearing main quests slowly improve enemy quality to the point where low level mats become rarer? Or is that just BS? Wondering how fast should I advance the plot.

Some enemies, especially ones out in the field, don’t have tags to level up. Defeating a boss gives you a huge chunk of experience points, so you should be able to see the difference, most bokoblin groups that are marked to level up will turn from red to blue.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Tarrey Town question: Can I redo Kilton's sculptures later on? I didn't realize they were going to cast it right from my photos but I didn't feel like going back and making a funny Bokoblin pic. Now he's focused on getting a Horriblin pic so I have no idea if I can rearrange or recast once I'm done building his exhibit. Not a question but also I hope he makes me take a photo of some huge gently caress-off monster like a Talus or a Gleeok.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

DalaranJ posted:

Some enemies, especially ones out in the field, don’t have tags to level up. Defeating a boss gives you a huge chunk of experience points, so you should be able to see the difference, most bokoblin groups that are marked to level up will turn from red to blue.

Oh yeah, that's absolutely what it felt like.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I kinda just realized that it's absolutely not a problem if say a bokoblin camp upgrades from red to blue because they're going to drop better fuse materials so unlike botw you won't run dry on viable weapons.

Fuse system so perfectly complements the weapon breakage that it went from a nagging annoyance and reluctance to use good weapons in botw to "I'll just use whatever and make more weapons and try out some new combos".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I found a cave with a shrine puzzle in it that I’m pretty sure I just flat-out need Zora Armor to solve. Waterfall coming out of a hole in the ceiling, ceiling is too curved for ascend (believe me, I tried to find a spot they overlooked), I tried making ice platforms and then recalling them up but the waterfall would push me down. I could probably put some monstrosity with ultrahand to get up there but it would take a while. I’m surprised, both that the game is willing to say “hey come back here later” with some things, and also that they managed to lock this place up so securely given the amount of tools you have in this game

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Augus posted:

I found a cave with a shrine puzzle in it that I’m pretty sure I just flat-out need Zora Armor to solve. Waterfall coming out of a hole in the ceiling, ceiling is too curved for ascend (believe me, I tried to find a spot they overlooked), I tried making ice platforms and then recalling them up but the waterfall would push me down. I could probably put some monstrosity with ultrahand to get up there but it would take a while. I’m surprised, both that the game is willing to say “hey come back here later” with some things, and also that they managed to lock this place up so securely given the amount of tools you have in this game

The Zora Armor is pretty easy to get, I got it last night. Just head over to Zora's Domain, and get talking, you'll get a fetch quest to get it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

I don't think any shrine has anything that can't be solved without the items contained within it. Except I needed a couple arrows in one once.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh a little hole in the wall? No problem let’s go check it out.

Two hours later, :lol: I loving love this game. And hey I have the soldier set now! Now to figure out how to upgrade it

Also I found the shrine where you have nothing but the little drones to fight for you and it’s now my missions to stockpile on them and become a zonai swarm master against a boss.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What do people consider a good order for doing hearts/stamina? I've done two of each so far, hearts are obviously good for survivability, but I also see the use of stamina early on to help with exploration/overworld travel before you build up a big map of shrines and other waypoints.

Max stamina and then hearts. Armour matters way more than heart count.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Max stamina and then hearts. Armour matters way more than heart count.

I find stamina to not be as critical with stuff like recall and ascend. Those two go a long way to get you places you shouldn’t. That said I’m at 10 hearts now and with some armor it feels good enough for now (only 1 dungeon / boss cleared). I’m a couple of shrines away from having the 2nd stamina bar and I think after that I’ll go back to hearts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What do people consider a good order for doing hearts/stamina? I've done two of each so far, hearts are obviously good for survivability, but I also see the use of stamina early on to help with exploration/overworld travel before you build up a big map of shrines and other waypoints.

I added a couple hearts including the first one you're required to get, but it's gonna be all stamina for a while after that. An occasional heart from the main dungeons is a nice bonus, but 90% of the game for me is running around using up stamina so I always bias to that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I find stamina to not be as critical with stuff like recall and ascend. Those two go a long way to get you places you shouldn’t. That said I’m at 10 hearts now and with some armor it feels good enough for now (only 1 dungeon / boss cleared). I’m a couple of shrines away from having the 2nd stamina bar and I think after that I’ll go back to hearts.

There's a very specific and extremely spoiler reason why you should upgrade stamina but I want to leave it a secret. Just upgrade it. At least until you get another full wheel.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i got all stamina done before even getting a single heart, sure i died in one hit a lot but let's face it until you have like 3 star armor you'll die in one hit even at 7 hearts to most blue or above enemies

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All the best deaths are unexpected one hit KOs anyway, so that makes the best sense comedywise too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You can upgrade armor for better effective protection but you can't upgrade armor for better stamina

I am climbing a lot less than BotW-- I remember "the climbing gear" and "carefully climbing slowly to maintain stamina instead of jumping up everything" being hard requirements and they're really not as much now, but more stamina means more glide distance once your wing evaporates in thin air so

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Why walk the depths when you can ride :smuggo:

Fake James fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 15, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't think any shrine has anything that can't be solved without the items contained within it. Except I needed a couple arrows in one once.

it’s a puzzle to get into the shrine, not the shrine itself I’m talking about

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've been having fun using balloons and flamejets to get up high rather than climbing since they seem abundant and I have little use for them otherwise

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's something primal and cruel and hilarious about speeding a Korok on their way by just welding a rocket to them, giving it a smack, and pointing them in (roughly) the right direction.

I should try adding a Time Bomb for fireworks and send one straight up.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The one problem I've had with the game so far is that the shrines in the original game were puzzles that you could solve in anyway you want, while this one the shrines that but also intended to teach you ways to use the physics engine, so I end up doing janky solutions then looking up the intended solutions so I actually learn how to do stuff. Seems kind of at odds at times.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
If I’m still pretty early in am I supposed to just run from the phantom hands? There’s a bunch blocking my path to a shrine in a cave and while I got through them once by spending a ton of bomb flowers the surprise that came after ducked me up fast. I don’t really have any way to deal with them in melee because if the gloom.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo doing poo poo jankily is 70% of the fun. Last night I saw a korok who needed a lift so I built him a balloon ship and sent him straight across a chasm

I’m guessing you can find Zonai cell upgrades underground right? I haven’t done much depth work yet. Just got back to lookout landing and I’ve got so many options I’m excited

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It feels like climbing has been generally improved in a lot of small ways.It's been a while since I played BOTW so I can't say for certain, but overall it feels like you climb faster and more efficiently, slip a little less in rain, more surfaces count as flat ground for stamina recovery, etc. I guess they figured there were so many other ways to gain vertical height, there was no particular need to limit climbing since it doesn't really gate a lot in this game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antonymous posted:

I read the reddit today and there's about 10 people per hour posting getting a star fragment mid air thinking they are the first person to ever do it.

that's good game design

What surprised me wasn't getting it in mid-air, it was that it popped right on top of me as I was falling uncontrolled from running out of stamina.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

If I’m still pretty early in am I supposed to just run from the phantom hands? There’s a bunch blocking my path to a shrine in a cave and while I got through them once by spending a ton of bomb flowers the surprise that came after ducked me up fast. I don’t really have any way to deal with them in melee because if the gloom.

they’re hideously strong and to my knowledge have no obvious weaknesses like the guardians’ laser parry

always be wary of an enemy that changes the color of the sky on spawn

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

they’re hideously strong and to my knowledge have no obvious weaknesses like the guardians’ laser parry

(Stares at the writhing mass on the ledge below me)

Guess I live here now.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Bomb arrows work pretty well on them but that won't be enough to kill them probably. I've come close to killing them but ran into issues after I thought I had them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

Best part about them is if you do manage to defeat them then you’re going to have a BAD TIME

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I take it a hot air balloon is the best way to go up and say hello to the Light Dragon?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How come my stable is already full of max bond horses with high stats? I just boarded the horse that I tamed so I could teleport near another stable and pick him up, and there's like 4 more horses in there that put him to shame.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phenotype posted:

How come my stable is already full of max bond horses with high stats? I just boarded the horse that I tamed so I could teleport near another stable and pick him up, and there's like 4 more horses in there that put him to shame.

Those are your horses from Breath of the Wild

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Phenotype posted:

They are from your botw save.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

External Organs posted:

Man, those zonai big cube dudes are really satisfying to take down.

The first time I saw one, I immediately thought of Bravoo Man from Gunstar Heroes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The one problem I've had with the game so far is that the shrines in the original game were puzzles that you could solve in anyway you want, while this one the shrines that but also intended to teach you ways to use the physics engine, so I end up doing janky solutions then looking up the intended solutions so I actually learn how to do stuff. Seems kind of at odds at times.

You have to look up the solution to tutorial puzzles?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Oh gently caress I am really stupid, you are suppose to fuse those cores that Talus's and giant block monsters and other stuff drop when you kill them aren't you

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes they’re really loving good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

imo doing poo poo jankily is 70% of the fun. Last night I saw a korok who needed a lift so I built him a balloon ship and sent him straight across a chasm

I’m guessing you can find Zonai cell upgrades underground right? I haven’t done much depth work yet. Just got back to lookout landing and I’ve got so many options I’m excited

You upgrade your battery with crystalized Zonai charges, 100 is a new pip on battery. Easiest forge to upgrade at is right outside lookout town. There are also forges underground to turn Zonai ore into other stuff including crystalized. Plus in treasure chests or from defeating special stuff and activities down there. Honestly getting even 20 crystalized charges is one of my favourite loot rewards from a chest. I kind of wish weapons and shield weren't allowed in chests and instead had like an armor stand or something. Often I'm too full to pick up a new thing, but I wouldn't mind fusing chest thing to my weapons... Except I can't unless I make room and then juggle the items back and forth so I just leave instead lol. Leave it for the generic adventurers to scrap over.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
This is a great game. You can create lovely-looking vehicles with the power of magic glue, glue a rock to a stick to make it stronger and Yunobo has become a heel wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fifteen of Many posted:

if you run away they’ll disappear after a while
you can also use arrows fused with elemental chu jellies to lock them down if you’re low on bomb arrows