Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i've had 2 interviews at another place and it feels like the offer is on lock but even if not i'm just fuckin done with this place tbh. spent 2 months too many here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah i did and it freakin SUCKS!

tbh the pay isnt great where I work but the benefits are baller and it's fairly low pressure so I make it work. I also do some of the most boring poo poo in IT too, so

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

yeah i did and it freakin SUCKS!

That really loving sucks, honestly. I hope you find something better soon.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

bagmonkey posted:

tbh the pay isnt great where I work but the benefits are baller and it's fairly low pressure so I make it work. I also do some of the most boring poo poo in IT too, so

Nice. I didn't think those IT jobs really existed any more. I miss some of the jobs I did in those days and the teams I worked with, the pay was never quite enough though and soon enough everywhere had it's turn to hire a poo poo New Boss. Fond memories of downing tools early on Friday afternoon to play counterstrike on the company network.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bagmonkey posted:

I had a nice beer/dinner/more beer with a friend of mine last week. He has the same degree as me (we studied together), but we've done different things with them - and he did very quietly ask me "you ... know how much more money you could make in a private company, right?"

I do, but ... then I'd be an IT consultant, and nothing about that seems like an appealing change except specifically the money. I like my low paid interesting relaxed "it's nice if you show up" research job.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

I had a nice beer/dinner/more beer with a friend of mine last week. He has the same degree as me (we studied together), but we've done different things with them - and he did very quietly ask me "you ... know how much more money you could make in a private company, right?"

I do, but ... then I'd be an IT consultant, and nothing about that seems like an appealing change except specifically the money. I like my low paid interesting relaxed "it's nice if you show up" research job.

I'm still nominally an IT consultant (but it's my own company and I pick my projects these days and work with my wife in her compliance business). Stick with your gig IMO.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

Nice. I didn't think those IT jobs really existed any more. I miss some of the jobs I did in those days and the teams I worked with, the pay was never quite enough though and soon enough everywhere had it's turn to hire a poo poo New Boss. Fond memories of downing tools early on Friday afternoon to play counterstrike on the company network.

There are a couple of pockets out there that exist, I work in ticketing systems and tracking inventory in those systems and all that jazz. It's work no one wants to do, so it's fairly forgiving

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'M GONNA BODY SLAM ONE OF MY WORK SYSTEMS STOP TIMING OUT MY SEARCHES YOU JERK!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

bagmonkey posted:

There are a couple of pockets out there that exist, I work in ticketing systems and tracking inventory in those systems and all that jazz. It's work no one wants to do, so it's fairly forgiving

Oh that's a nice niche. One of my favourite ever projects was a ground up redesign of a whole bespoke warehouse operation including new picking/packing and stock checking algorithms, thermal printer integrations and brand new UIs, I even redesigned some of the floor layout. It was so pleasant because I was simply given a clear brief, exclusivity on the project for a month, and effectively just told "we trust you to fix it". And I did, and it worked straight out the gate and I increased efficiency massively while actually making the warehouse staffs lives much easier.

I left when they mothballed it 2 years later while trying to expand, replacing it with an "industry leading" third party wet lease API/warehouse solution and sacking the warehouse staff.

A year later they sacked off the third party, took over the ground leases of the warehouses, hired people again and re-commissioned my system. Which was easy because I had built it with multi-warehouse compatibility in mind so it was simple to re-implement. Which is gratifying on a professional level but I loving hate that they sacked the warehouse guys and that was what pushed me independent.

Sorry for the :words: I'm just bored waiting for the rice to cook for the chilli.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Oh that's a nice niche. One of my favourite ever projects was a ground up redesign of a whole bespoke warehouse operation including new picking/packing and stock checking algorithms, thermal printer integrations and brand new UIs, I even redesigned some of the floor layout. It was so pleasant because I was simply given a clear brief, exclusivity on the project for a month, and effectively just told "we trust you to fix it". And I did, and it worked straight out the gate and I increased efficiency massively while actually making the warehouse staffs lives much easier.

I left when they mothballed it 2 years later while trying to expand, replacing it with an "industry leading" third party wet lease API/warehouse solution and sacking the warehouse staff.

A year later they sacked off the third party, took over the ground leases of the warehouses, hired people again and re-commissioned my system. Which was easy because I had built it with multi-warehouse compatibility in mind so it was simple to re-implement. Which is gratifying on a professional level but I loving hate that they sacked the warehouse guys and that was what pushed me independent.

Sorry for the :words: I'm just bored waiting for the rice to cook for the chilli.

Oh that sounds rather nice. My first task in this position was like the children's playset version of that; they hired me to write a tracking and labelling system for our boxes of samples and the tubes in them. Printers may be of the devil, but I will make an exception for label printers. The Brady and Zebra ones we have just work, and even writing raw ZPL is fine; their programmers manual is surprisingly nice.
^XA^LW300
^FO5,5^A0,20,20^FDThough I may just be weird^FS
^XZ

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I'm learning how to use the bigger and more complex pharmacy robot at work today :awesomelon:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That said, it should come as no surprise that it has been decreed from above that all researchers at the hospital shall use the one true eBiobanking system that we license from a US company. It's exactly what you expect; super clunky, inner platform effect (in their own dialect of plain BASIC, no less), everything takes five times as long as in the super streamlined thing I wrote, but it does have a lot more granular access controls and the ability to track everything that happened to everything when and by who. Which I'm sure is legally beneficial, if not to us then to the hospital.

I was involved in customizing it enough for general deployment in the first, place, and boy howdy am I glad I managed to move away from that. It's agonizingly slow and unintuitive. At least it's also very expensive.

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I'm learning how to use the bigger and more complex pharmacy robot at work today :awesomelon:

Ooh, fun. What sort of things does it do?

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

Computer viking posted:

My wife and mom will ask me why I don't want to aggressively climb the ladder in my company and I think I have the same philosophy - I am making enough money to not really have any pressing needs, enjoy my work, and don't really want or need more responsibilities or bullshit that would come with that. I'm in non profit anyway so LOL not much of a ladder or salary structure to climb anyway.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

DorkusMalorkus posted:

dorkus & the robot

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

Printers may be of the devil, but I will make an exception for label printers. The Brady and Zebra ones we have just work, and even writing raw ZPL is fine; their programmers manual is surprisingly nice.

Oh man, we ran some Zebra/Toshiba printers and yes they are ace but we had a shipping partner who insisted on providing a pdf from their API rather than accepting a generic label.

The problem was that even though it was the right size and resolution the barcodes would get hosed up no matter what kind of settings and drivers we used. I quite easily managed to make a new copy of their label in our templating system and so the barcodes worked but the labels got rejected because there was a customs related value on the label that was calculated by their system but we didn't know how it was calculated.

Packages were backing up and this was a premium service so it had to be fixed by tomorrow morning.

I 2300, in a stroke of mad genius, burned out and still at my desk, I wrote a whole string of scripts across 4 languages to request a label from the API, curl it, digest the pdf with some CLI tools, and process the text output with a sort of regex Heath Robinson machine to get the single critical number to put in our template.

That code stayed in production for the better part of a decade.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Computer viking posted:

Ooh, fun. What sort of things does it do?

It automatically fills pills into these blister pack things that go to people in nursing homes, so they have a months worth of medication ready at once. Operating the robot means filling the pill hoppers when they're empty and moving trays of blister packs around. It's actually pretty fun so far!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Oh man, we ran some Zebra/Toshiba printers and yes they are ace but we had a shipping partner who insisted on providing a pdf from their API rather than accepting a generic label.

The problem was that even though it was the right size and resolution the barcodes would get hosed up no matter what kind of settings and drivers we used. I quite easily managed to make a new copy of their label in our templating system and so the barcodes worked but the labels got rejected because there was a customs related value on the label that was calculated by their system but we didn't know how it was calculated.

Packages were backing up and this was a premium service so it had to be fixed by tomorrow morning.

I 2300, in a stroke of mad genius, burned out and still at my desk, I wrote a whole string of scripts across 4 languages to request a label from the API, curl it, digest the pdf with some CLI tools, and process the text output with a sort of regex Heath Robinson machine to get the single critical number to put in our template.

That code stayed in production for the better part of a decade.

We have a windows tool I banged together in Qt to print the storage labels we use. Writing the thing was surprisingly easy, except for getting the preview to actually match up with the labels - I was printing with a printer font and didn't have anything with identical metrics I could use. I don't know how many hours I spent fiddling with it until I wrote the code to take the preview image, convert it to a bitmap, manually translate it into an ASCII-encoded compressed ZPL-style image, and sent that directly to the printer instead. (Actually I bet that could work for you - render PDF to image, send the image. The new ones even accept PNGs.)

But yeah that sounds a) horrid and b) like good work and just about par for the course.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DorkusMalorkus posted:

It automatically fills pills into these blister pack things that go to people in nursing homes, so they have a months worth of medication ready at once. Operating the robot means filling the pill hoppers when they're empty and moving trays of blister packs around. It's actually pretty fun so far!

Right, that does sound neat. The only thing I'd worry about is the consequences if you accidentally put the wrong pills in a hopper - is there any verification, or does it just rely on you not messing up?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

(Actually I bet that could work for you - render PDF to image, send the image. The new ones even accept PNGs.)

Tried and failed actually, it was a cursed pdf and the barcodes were almost out of spec size wise so they had to be bang on because the 150px wide barcode was being resized to something like 280dots width on the actual print space so we ran out of resolution.

It was a real fucker.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

quitting my job today without having the next one formally lined up. giving 2 weeks notice even though i just want to walk out the loving door right now lol

Fuckin BOOM

You are the most powerful cup of beverage ever!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Tried and failed actually, it was a cursed pdf and the barcodes were almost out of spec size wise so they had to be bang on because the 150px wide barcode was being resized to something like 280dots width on the actual print space so we ran out of resolution.

It was a real fucker.

:eng99:

The eBiobank system inherited some of my tube labels, to be printed on teeny 1" x 0.5" labels and stuck on sample tubes. For various historic reasons the labels had 1D codes, which don't have the greatest information density. I don't know how many tubes out there have unscannable barcodes because the new system uses longer IDs and the barcodes grew longer than the label, but the number is not zero. (Never mind the study nurses who just can't understand how it's impossible to scan a barcode if you wrap the label all the way around a pencil-thick tube instead of along the length of it.)

The newer label layouts use matrix codes, because we finally verified that everyone and everything can handle them.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

i added some led lights to the back of my new TV and it has given TTTFP a sinister edge :ohdear:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ruby Gloom posted:

i added some led lights to the back of my new TV and it has given TTTFP a sinister edge :ohdear:

TTTFP is watching you tuggin

Is he watching as you tug? If he watching you while he’s tuggin? No one knows… except Tiny Tony… :spooky:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

I don't know how many tubes out there have unscannable barcodes because the new system uses longer IDs and the barcodes grew longer than the label, but the number is not zero.

Haha yeah I'm sure I left a few landmines like that.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Computer viking posted:

Right, that does sound neat. The only thing I'd worry about is the consequences if you accidentally put the wrong pills in a hopper - is there any verification, or does it just rely on you not messing up?

It's all scan-based, everything has a barcode you have to scan before anything works

Here's a video that kinda shows it's operation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurULxWLc6g

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DorkusMalorkus posted:

It's all scan-based, everything has a barcode you have to scan before anything works

Right, that seems reasonably foolproof - which I'm sure makes it a bit more relaxing to use, too. :)
(And I get what you mean, that's some "how things are made" levels of moving parts and blinking lights)

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I was picturing a robot hanging out by the cafeteria in a trench coat.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

I was picturing a robot hanging out by the cafeteria in a trench coat.

It's basically the Crushinator but less sexy

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Computer viking posted:

Right, that seems reasonably foolproof - which I'm sure makes it a bit more relaxing to use, too. :)
(And I get what you mean, that's some "how things are made" levels of moving parts and blinking lights)

Yeah the barcode scanning definitely takes some of the anxiety away, I don't have to worry about filling the wrong medicine. Mostly just worry about dropping a tray :cry:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I interviewed for a promotion over 2 weeks ago now and still haven’t heard anything. But in that time I got written up for excessive absences lol. God damnit.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
U should give me the promotion cause then I’ll have a reason to take y’all more seriously

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Turns out I was a lot more emotionally invested in that federal job than I thought I was. But didn’t get it. Regardless, interviewing elsewhere filled me with a lotta optimism I haven’t felt in a while. Gonna start applying other places once my new attendance probation is over so I can get time off for interviews lol

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Im feelin under appreciated. I work for the county and do a lot of public speaking and I’m good at it. Don’t act like that’s easily replaceable lol. Im a wizard with a podium and a mic.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
A lot of people come up to me with tears and their eyes and they’re saying, the tell me, I’m a very stable genius.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
At least it’s your birthday!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

its_my_birthday posted:

Turns out I was a lot more emotionally invested in that federal job than I thought I was. But didn’t get it. Regardless, interviewing elsewhere filled me with a lotta optimism I haven’t felt in a while. Gonna start applying other places once my new attendance probation is over so I can get time off for interviews lol

I loving hate the application/interview process, because I’d inevitably get just far enough along with some places to get my hopes up and then get a rejection email at like 9PM on a Friday. It’s not an insignificant factor in why I’m still at my current job, which while not terrible, is pretty lackluster at this point.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Happy birthday Mr. Santos. Sorry about your legal troubles.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

its_my_birthday posted:

Looking for a new job can really suck and be incredibly frustrating and disheartening. You're qualified but some idiot picked someone else! And there's nothing you can do about it except keep trying. It blows. I hope you do keep trying and find something you like :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Here’s something to help:

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 16, 2023