Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Usually unless the integration specifically said it's local it just means that the data is going to both Home Assistant and LG.

Motronic posted:

More accurately it means the data goes to LG and Home Assistant is scraping it from LGs site. This is an important distinction because it means it's something else that will be broken if your internet connection goes down.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any thoughts on Reolink cameras? I actually love my old nest cameras but I don’t think I like the battery powered ones and the fact the old nest app doesn’t work with them.

I actually just put together a Reolink setup, with 4x RLC-811A, the PoE doorbell, and their single-drive 8-port PoE NVR. So far the only real ??? moment was the firmware out of the box not being able to update without doing it manually, but that was very painless. Quite a lot of configuration options, and almost all of it is available straight from the phone app. The web app has some more configurations features, but nothing insane that you might see on enterprise gear.

Both the day and night shots are very clean, and the live video feed is responsive. Sharing it with the family was pretty simple, though you do have to manually create an account (local, not on a service) for each of them - which you can also do from the app.

I've set up quite a few Hikvision (and the knockoffs) for work, and they're absolutely tedious. This was a real surprise being able to just plug it in, it just works, and I don't need a 3rd-party service getting in my way.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New HomeKit compatible presence sensor by Aqara. It uses mmWave and poo poo for crazy accuracy.
https://www.macrumors.com/review/aqara-presence-sensor-fp2/

Man, those went fast:
https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-Positioning-Multi-Person-Detection-Assistant/dp/B0BXWZMQJ3

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New HomeKit compatible presence sensor by Aqara. It uses mmWave and poo poo for crazy accuracy.

Man, those went fast:
https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-Positioning-Multi-Person-Detection-Assistant/dp/B0BXWZMQJ3

Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yarollsdao4

Based on this thing genuinely seems incredible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's pretty wild. I don't really have a need for one of these, but I'll probably pick one up just to dick around with it. Maybe I'll make the lights follow my wife to creep her out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Man, those went fast:

Wifi only and not zigbee? Ehh. Any idea of homeassistant compatibility?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

HexiDave posted:

I actually just put together a Reolink setup, with 4x RLC-811A, the PoE doorbell, and their single-drive 8-port PoE NVR. So far the only real ??? moment was the firmware out of the box not being able to update without doing it manually, but that was very painless. Quite a lot of configuration options, and almost all of it is available straight from the phone app. The web app has some more configurations features, but nothing insane that you might see on enterprise gear.

Both the day and night shots are very clean, and the live video feed is responsive. Sharing it with the family was pretty simple, though you do have to manually create an account (local, not on a service) for each of them - which you can also do from the app.

I've set up quite a few Hikvision (and the knockoffs) for work, and they're absolutely tedious. This was a real surprise being able to just plug it in, it just works, and I don't need a 3rd-party service getting in my way.

I'm thinking of getting the 36 channel Reolink NVR. I was going to have two(at first) cameras feed off of a POE switch and then connect them through a powerline. Seems to be the simplest way to get some cameras strung up in the front of our business without running cable, since it seems that this particular Reolink NVR will do the managing of the multiple cameras on one ethernet versus the 8-port you bought (each camera is piped into their own port).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That Works posted:

Wifi only and not zigbee? Ehh. Any idea of homeassistant compatibility?

Video above says no HA yet, but he said he figures someone will get it working soon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Video above says no HA yet, but he said he figures someone will get it working soon.

It would still have to be a separate wifi device though right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Not yet Matter compatible. Also cable, eh. Limits where you can mount it.

But I sure want one for living room lights automation, via these regions you can define.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That Works posted:

It would still have to be a separate wifi device though right?

It uses WiFi so it would be a separate WiFi device, yes.

Apparently aquara has promised matter support, but no date or concrete details.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have an Eero mesh network with two beacons. Behind my house, we built two wood buildings in an L shape caddy-corner from the house.

B1
------
|
| B2
|

House
---------

The house is about 100' from B1, and there's a Beacon plugged in on the closest wall.

I have three Meross smart switches inside each building, controlling lights and fans. B2 switches work without issue, B1 only works when the door is open. The buildings are insulated and finished inside with thin wood, and I'm guessing there's just enough distance/interference between the house and B1 for the connection to not be reliable.

Any ideas for getting a better wifi signal out there? I originally planned to drop a network cable over there when we were running water, but it didn't happen (mostly because of money, the buildings act as a tack room and feed room, and all this horse stuff is $$$). I have an outside outlet on the other side of the wall from where the closest Beacon is, but I don't think Beacons are rated for outdoor use and it wouldn't fit the plug with the cover anyway. I haven't tried plugging the Beacon inside B2 yet, which I guess is the next step now that I'm typing all this out.

Oh, and the electric service over there is entirely separate from the house's service and uses a totally separate meter, so I don't think a power line network adapter would work. Happy to be wrong about that, though.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Is there any good blog or someone wanna make a post about getting started with all this poo poo? I read the last 6 or so pages and the detailed shop talk is neat and all, but, like, is there an overview of the different ecosystems and tradeoffs inherent in them?

Full local vs Fully integrated cloud
Open source vs walled garden
Value vs Quality vs feature-rich
Expanding vs Decaying vs Stable

etc etc. I mean, I’m also interested in someone just saying “this is the best ecosystem, and here’s the cameras, sensors, and other jazz that I think works well.”

Any primers for all this that isn’t an astroturfed ad-filled Amazon affiliate trap?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
There are some concepts and overviews here, but it's a little outdated (Node-Red lol): https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/03/how-to-achieve-smart-home-nirvana-or-home-automation-without-subscription/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DNK posted:

Is there any good blog or someone wanna make a post about getting started with all this poo poo? I read the last 6 or so pages and the detailed shop talk is neat and all, but, like, is there an overview of the different ecosystems and tradeoffs inherent in them?

etc etc. I mean, I’m also interested in someone just saying “this is the best ecosystem, and here’s the cameras, sensors, and other jazz that I think works well.”

Any primers for all this that isn’t an astroturfed ad-filled Amazon affiliate trap?

Couple of things would probably also help get some good advice from the thread:

1. Are you already interested / invested in a particular brand ecosystem (amazon alexa/Echo, Google Home, Apple Homekit etc?)
2. Are you more security minded / do not want to work with a home automation system that connects to the outside world for features (the ones I listed above do this)?
3. How comfortable are you with setting up devices, some light computer janitoring to get things up and running etc? Would you rather just have a more plug and play experience?

Asking all of this because it might help decide what's a good fit for you and then much easier to point you to better guides.

Many itt use HomeAssistant which is a free open source program / OS that can run on a VM, or on a small standalone device like a Raspberry Pi. It's sometimes a bit annoying to do the initial setup but then is generally quite stable. The advantages of HA vs the big commercial products are that you can keep it running entirely locally on your own network and not have it talk to the outside world (unless you want to). You can use a USB hub to communicate with Zigbee or Z-wave devices and this will ensure that all of your smart devices are also only talking to this USB hub on your HA machine locally. This is unlike many of the direct wifi connected devices which can, or have the potential to, share data outside of your network to 3rd parties.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EC posted:

I have an Eero mesh network with two beacons. Behind my house, we built two wood buildings in an L shape caddy-corner from the house.

B1
------
|
| B2
|

House
---------

The house is about 100' from B1, and there's a Beacon plugged in on the closest wall.

I have three Meross smart switches inside each building, controlling lights and fans. B2 switches work without issue, B1 only works when the door is open. The buildings are insulated and finished inside with thin wood, and I'm guessing there's just enough distance/interference between the house and B1 for the connection to not be reliable.

Any ideas for getting a better wifi signal out there? I originally planned to drop a network cable over there when we were running water, but it didn't happen (mostly because of money, the buildings act as a tack room and feed room, and all this horse stuff is $$$). I have an outside outlet on the other side of the wall from where the closest Beacon is, but I don't think Beacons are rated for outdoor use and it wouldn't fit the plug with the cover anyway. I haven't tried plugging the Beacon inside B2 yet, which I guess is the next step now that I'm typing all this out.

Oh, and the electric service over there is entirely separate from the house's service and uses a totally separate meter, so I don't think a power line network adapter would work. Happy to be wrong about that, though.

Power line 100% would not work, and even if the barn and house were wired on the same breaker I’d be worried about the distance the signal needs to travel.

My first thought was an outdoor (or somewhere covered with line of sight) antenna.

Here’s a Reddit thread with your exact issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/hct307/how_to_add_an_external_antenna_to_my_eero_system/

It was recommended to buy 2 of these, one for source and one for barn.

Ubiquiti NanoBeam ac Gen2 High-Performance airMAX ac Bridge (NBE-5AC-Gen2-US) https://a.co/d/fkIR5YB

I suspect this would probably work for your issue, and might not even require line of sight, or may work just aiming out a window.

If you have power somewhere in the middle, throwing another mesh node in something like this would probably work.

Waterproof WiFi Indoor Outdoor Weatherproof Enclosure Cabinet Box https://a.co/d/i8gSmNx

DNK posted:

You probably want to focus on thread/matter devices if you want as few platforms as possible, but it’s not widespread enough yet to get everything that’s thread supported.

I think you need to start with deciding what exactly you want out of the system, or at least what specific tech you want to start with. Then, think of long term, looser goals of the system.

Whole smart home systems from one manufacturer/platform aren’t really a thing. It’s rare for a company to make everything you’d need for a smarthome, and even if you found one that did it’s typical their offerings on specific items don’t meet your needs or are terrible.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Oh perfect, thanks! I'm hoping an extra beacon in the closet building will be enough.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EC posted:

Oh perfect, thanks! I'm hoping an extra beacon in the closet building will be enough.

It may not be. If it’s as insulated as you say and the system works at full speed with the door open it’s probably more of an interference issue.

It may connect if you waypoint in the middle, but it could also be a very weak/inconsistent connection, which is not what you want for smart/automation stuff. A lot of that stuff will not function as expected if it has repeated dropouts or weak signal.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

That Works posted:

Couple of things would probably also help get some good advice from the thread:

Asking all of this because it might help decide what's a good fit for you and then much easier to point you to better guides.
Thanks for all the replies!

1. Are you already interested / invested in a particular brand ecosystem (amazon alexa/Echo, Google Home, Apple Homekit etc?)
Not really. We have a Google home mini, Nest thermostat, Apple TV, and a Ubiquiti network (USG, Switch, Access Point, CloudKey), but none of that is really driving any sort of cohesive ecosystem.

2. Are you more security minded / do not want to work with a home automation system that connects to the outside world for features (the ones I listed above do this)?
I’d prefer a closed-loop system for almost everything, but I know my wife will want to check on stuff (I.e. indoor cameras to see if the dog has eaten her food, etc). Im not interested in cloud-connected physical security stuff (locks, doors, windows).

3. How comfortable are you with setting up devices, some light computer janitoring to get things up and running etc? Would you rather just have a more plug and play experience?
Pretty comfortable? I did set up my own home network with prosumer stuff. I can RTFM. I do light coding and database stuff at work. That said, I’m really not interested in delving into the rear end-end of some hobbyists’ GitHub. I’d prefer that someone else has already ran into, asked, and received a stackoverflow answer for any problem I may encounter.

You probably want to focus on thread/matter devices if you want as few platforms as possible, but it’s not widespread enough yet to get everything that’s thread supported.

I think you need to start with deciding what exactly you want out of the system, or at least what specific tech you want to start with. Then, think of long term, looser goals of the system.

Mostly observation and analytics — cameras and sensors. The only operational/control -ish thing that I’d want to potentially automate (for now…) would be outside lights.

DNK fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 5, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DNK posted:

Thanks for all the replies!

Not really. We have a Google home mini, Nest thermostat, Apple TV, and a Ubiquiti network (USG, Switch, Access Point, CloudKey), but none of that is really driving any sort of cohesive ecosystem.

I’d prefer a closed-loop system for almost everything, but I know my wife will want to check on stuff (I.e. indoor cameras to see if the dog has eaten her food, etc). Im not interested in cloud-connected physical security stuff (locks, doors, windows).

Pretty comfortable? I did set up my own home network with prosumer stuff. I can RTFM. I do light coding and database stuff at work. That said, I’m really not interested in delving into the rear end-end of some hobbyists’ GitHub. I’d prefer that someone else has already ran into, asked, and received a stackoverflow answer for any problem I may encounter.

Mostly observation and analytics — cameras and sensors. The only operational/control -ish thing that I’d want to potentially automate (for now…) would be outside lights.

My own recommendation would be HomeAssistant. However the one thing I don’t know about it is how good it is with camera stuff. Hopefully others can illuminate there.

HA guides are all over the place, ill see what i can dig up but given your level of skill and needs it seems a better fit than committing to a smart home ecosystem from one of the big 3 (google, amazon, apple).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

My own recommendation would be HomeAssistant. However the one thing I don’t know about it is how good it is with camera stuff. Hopefully others can illuminate there.

It's not. Unless you count "integrates well with Blue Iris which you will also need to run" as being good.

A setup of the two works fine for me and has for years.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm looking to start dabbling in this stuff myself.

Definitely planning on using homeassist.
Don't have anything for my more grand plans yet, but wanting to go with zigbee ecosystem, since matter and thread are a little too underbaked as far as device availability from what I understand. I have two WiFi-based devices, that are reliant on the cloud and I want to replace with local-only (the idea being that the homeassist server is the remote access broker).

The big one that I want to replace ASAP is a Roku -branded bulb. I got it because it was cheap, but that cheapness includes relying on a cloud server and the fact that the drat thing loves to drop off the network and need a power cycle to be able to control again.

I don't know if the brightness steps being very obvious and discreet is just "that's what you get with dimmable LEDs" but I have it set to a sunrise from 0-30% brightness over the course of an hour (the longest timeline it will do), and it's very noticeable when it steps up the brightness rather than it feeling gradual. And if it's dropped off the network, it just doesn't do any of its scheduled routines. I don't need rgb, just tuneable white.

My other device is a kasa smart plug, which is fine, but as I'm wanting to segment smart home devices onto a no-Internet vlan, its cloud necessity is something I dislike.

Future device plans:
Set of e12 bases bulbs for living room ceiling fan, to be grouped and connected to a 3-way switch system (my parents are not into the idea of having to faff about with an app for lights, so the idea is smart bulbs for automatic white tuning, with smart switches so it can be controlled like a regular switch while also not actually cutting power to the bulbs).

Outlet(s) with consumption monitoring for the washing machine (and gas dryer?): For automation system to push notification when machine is done

Some kind of lock with Bluetooth proximity, so I don't have to faff about with keys if my hands are full when I get home.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

taiyoko posted:

I'm looking to start dabbling in this stuff myself.

Definitely planning on using homeassist.
Don't have anything for my more grand plans yet, but wanting to go with zigbee ecosystem, since matter and thread are a little too underbaked as far as device availability from what I understand. I have two WiFi-based devices, that are reliant on the cloud and I want to replace with local-only (the idea being that the homeassist server is the remote access broker).

The big one that I want to replace ASAP is a Roku -branded bulb. I got it because it was cheap, but that cheapness includes relying on a cloud server and the fact that the drat thing loves to drop off the network and need a power cycle to be able to control again.

I don't know if the brightness steps being very obvious and discreet is just "that's what you get with dimmable LEDs" but I have it set to a sunrise from 0-30% brightness over the course of an hour (the longest timeline it will do), and it's very noticeable when it steps up the brightness rather than it feeling gradual. And if it's dropped off the network, it just doesn't do any of its scheduled routines. I don't need rgb, just tuneable white.

My other device is a kasa smart plug, which is fine, but as I'm wanting to segment smart home devices onto a no-Internet vlan, its cloud necessity is something I dislike.

Future device plans:
Set of e12 bases bulbs for living room ceiling fan, to be grouped and connected to a 3-way switch system (my parents are not into the idea of having to faff about with an app for lights, so the idea is smart bulbs for automatic white tuning, with smart switches so it can be controlled like a regular switch while also not actually cutting power to the bulbs).

Outlet(s) with consumption monitoring for the washing machine (and gas dryer?): For automation system to push notification when machine is done

Some kind of lock with Bluetooth proximity, so I don't have to faff about with keys if my hands are full when I get home.

Why not get high quality bulbs in the color temperature you want for the space + dimmable smart switches (Lutrons or the like).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Why not get high quality bulbs in the color temperature you want for the space + dimmable smart switches (Lutrons or the like).

I mean, I guess "all soft white all the time" works, I just kinda liked how the Roku bulb did "sun match" so it was daylight white during the day and soft white in the mornings/evenings. :shrug:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Remotely temperature adjustable bulbs are really nice.

I mean you don't need them everywhere, but some spaces really benefit from them IMO. Bedrooms, hallways, and multi-use rooms in particular.

Like yeah your laundry room, garage, or closets don't need them, but they're pretty handy elsewhere.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
For the handful of neato users here, Vorwerk is shutting them down this year but is guaranteeing at least a few years of cloud services(without you cannot do poo poo with a connected series unit) and spares.

https://www.techhive.com/article/1803382/neato-robotics-is-shutting-down-robot-vacuums.html

At least I'm vindicated about not upgrading my D750 to the current lineup when i got offered a sizable discount from them.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 12, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

For the handful of neato users here, Vorwerk is shutting them down this year but is guaranteeing at least a few years of cloud services(without you cannot do poo poo with a connected series unit) and spares.

https://www.techhive.com/article/1803382/neato-robotics-is-shutting-down-robot-vacuums.html

At least I'm vindicated about not upgrading my D750 to the current lineup when i got offered a sizable discount from them.

I knew better than buying something cloud connected, but I did anyway.

I suppose I've had it long enough that it doesn't really owe me anything, but it's annoying all the same.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Motronic posted:

I knew better than buying something cloud connected, but I did anyway.

I suppose I've had it long enough that it doesn't really owe me anything, but it's annoying all the same.

While I can understand the sentiment, remember when stuff stopped working because it broke rather than a conscious decision by the manufacturer that it should stop. Those were the days

I also realize I might not understand all the context, not knowing what a Neato is

Hey you, Cloud! Get off my lawn! I’m headed to the Wendy’s drive thru

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

namlosh posted:

While I can understand the sentiment, remember when stuff stopped working because it broke rather than a conscious decision by the manufacturer that it should stop. Those were the days

I also realize I might not understand all the context, not knowing what a Neato is

Hey you, Cloud! Get off my lawn! I’m headed to the Wendy’s drive thru

https://neatorobotics.com

Competitor of iRobot that is reliant on a smartphone app for all of its operation beside on/off. Onboard compute is minimal since everything is managed thru their servers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

namlosh posted:

I remember those days, and I also remember now, where non-cloud stuff may appear to be working that way but are actually cost engineered for planned obsolescence.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Motronic posted:

I remember those days, and I also remember now, where non-cloud stuff may appear to be working that way but are actually cost engineered for planned obsolescence.

I get what you’re saying and it’s a good point that companies are awful no matter what. I had to replace a fan on my network router the other day (it’s a prosumer model I paid $300 for).

But at least I had a fighting chance. There are no replacement parts you can get for cloud stuff getting bricked like that.

Right to repair is a good thing to fight for.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Moving into a new place soon and I want to set up a more coherent plan for 'smart' stuff. The only stuff I'm bringing with me out of the old place are some lightbulbs and a few smart outlet plugs.

Initial plans are some of the Ikea motorized blinds, various lighting stuff and sensors, an air conditioner, a vacuum, and a basic security setup; planning on running homeassistant on my NAS and such, but I keep giving myself analysis paralysis when trying to decide which of the horrifying speakers with builtin always-listening robot ladies to invite into my home to control the whole mess.

All of the mobile devices (phones/watch/tablets) are Apple; the various tv streaming gear is not from any of the big three (Roku, vidyagame consoles etc.). I've got a mixed environment in terms of mac/pc otherwise.

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether I should start scavenging for a used homepod or two, or just embrace the ubiquity of dirt cheap alexa/google enabled microphones, and if I do the latter, which of those?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've made the jump in, setup homeassistant in a container, grabbed a bunch of Shelly/Kasa bulbs and switches, and even setup my first two automations.

Tailwind for the barn garage door, and the soon to be installed overhead door opener is WiFi enabled as well. (Or tailscale for that and no to oem WiFi)

Now I just need to learn how to VLAN all this poo poo off the internet as a whole.

And then the 2x Emporia reflash and install.

I'm also returning the first set of bulbs I got because I didn't realize Wyze is cloud and not local only.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 15, 2023

movax
Aug 30, 2008

toplitzin posted:

And then the 2x Emporia reflash and install.

I do like using their app to check on stuff on my phone, and I have their EVSE, so I'll have to keep the app around anyways to some degree. I've been struggling in getting it to work properly in net metering my solar though -- I think it's simple, the UI + phrasing just sucks and I have a nested panel situation going on.

With the reflash, is there a HA app / something to equate the functionality the app used to have?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Don't know, haven't installed it yet, but it integrates with the Energy Panel in HA based on the last time it came up.

I think you and stevewm discussed it.

stevewm posted:

Finally got a Emporia Vue2 energy monitor installed on both of my electrical panels. Flashed both to ESPHome.

Really digging Home Assistant's Energy system. Works well with multiple monitoring sources.

Finally have some insight on how much charging my car really costs. I figured it was the biggest user of energy in my house, and I was correct. Also discovered my Plex/BlueIris server typically uses more energy than my water heater per day. (it is the "Bedroom/Hall" circuit in this picture.)

A lot of info!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Don't know, haven't installed it yet, but it integrates with the Energy Panel in HA based on the last time it came up.

I think you and stevewm discussed it.

Ahhh I knew I had posted about it before, thought it might have been in the Home Wiring thread. Thanks for digging it up.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What happens when I put a smart bulb behind a dumb switch? I have some overhead lights that I would like to tweak the color and intensity of, and then leave them at those settings forever (but turned on and off like a normal switchable light). I'm probably not going to buy smart switches, so if I need to do that, I might just try a bunch of different intensity/color temp combinations until I find one that works.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue Bulbs I think now “remember” their last settings. Two quick on/off resets them to standard white. Not sure how long they remember for I think it’s meant more for a “oops didn’t mean to to turn off”

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

"Hey Siri, turn kitchen lights on"
"4 of your devices didn't respond"
"GODDAMMIT KIDS KEEP THE loving SWITCH ON"

I have 4x Hue BR30s and 2x downlights for my kitchen and got sick of that so I pulled the switch plate off, wired line to load, and mounted Hue dimmer switches over them. There's people on Etsy who create double and triple gang custom faceplates for Hue dimmers (they only come with single gang plates in the box). Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Happiness Commando posted:

What happens when I put a smart bulb behind a dumb switch? I have some overhead lights that I would like to tweak the color and intensity of, and then leave them at those settings forever (but turned on and off like a normal switchable light). I'm probably not going to buy smart switches, so if I need to do that, I might just try a bunch of different intensity/color temp combinations until I find one that works.

Depends on the bulb, but most will return to their last setting (intensity, temp, and/or color) when regaining power. Sometimes frequently losing power can cause Zigbee or Zwave bulbs to fail to reconnect properly and need to be re-initialized. Or maybe I've just had bad luck.

I use Lutron Aurora smart dimmers, which pop on over an existing light switch. They're a bit pricey, but you get the best of both worlds -- a physical control for on/off and brightness, and smart bulbs you can automate from HA or whatever.