Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jimbot posted:

Depends on what you want. It's very chill and atmospheric but you probably won't get up to any kind of super silly nonsense like you would in GTAO. You'll run into an occasional hacker but by and large it's not a bad time. I wish they were able to keep working on it but the economy they build into the game wasn't based on malice and hatred of humanity so they weren't able to exploit people to the maximum, so it didn't print money like GTA did.

Funny enough they rebalanced GTAO after re-releasing it on PS5 and now its much more 'you can make money doing almost anything instead of grinding a weird exploit over and over', so when I tried out RDO recently I was struck much more with the sensation of 'hope you like grinding for hours to buy a single hat'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

Funny enough they rebalanced GTAO after re-releasing it on PS5 and now its much more 'you can make money doing almost anything instead of grinding a weird exploit over and over', so when I tried out RDO recently I was struck much more with the sensation of 'hope you like grinding for hours to buy a single hat'

It was really frustrating starting RDO just before Christmas. The winter event was on so it was snowy and cold everywhere. Which meant I had to desperately grind to afford some warm clothes or I was freezing the whole time. Was v glad when the event ended.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ploots posted:

no howdy??????????

You can emote at npcs, and that can be a greeting, but it’s not the same

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
When do you decide that you're done with this game?

I'm finished with the story and epilogue, I've found some of the legendary animals and fishes, I've helped a couple strangers, but I'm still struggling with the enormity of it all. There's so much to do in this game and I want to experience it, but at the same time I'm afraid of getting burnt out.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

rotinaj posted:

You can emote at npcs, and that can be a greeting, but it’s not the same

I for one would ignore the NPCs and greet all the dogs like this if I were playing RDO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbuFpgLSQ-s&t=20s

E: I accidentally scolded a mangy bloodhound in the cemetery in Saint Denis and felt awful about it for a week afterwards

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 3, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

I'm finished with the story and epilogue, I've found some of the legendary animals and fishes, I've helped a couple strangers, but I'm still struggling with the enormity of it all. There's so much to do in this game and I want to experience it, but at the same time I'm afraid of getting burnt out.

Spend six months playing something else, then come back, and you will be refreshed IMO

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

rotinaj posted:

Spend six months playing something else, then come back, and you will be refreshed IMO

True, Tears of the Kingdom is coming out Friday next week, so having another open world game as a palette cleanser is my current objective

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

True, Tears of the Kingdom is coming out Friday next week, so having another open world game as a palette cleanser is my current objective

Tears of the Kingdom came out a couple days ago

E: I'm gonna ride around and take photos of animals and say howdy to people. Maybe finally get that drat Herbalist 3 challenge.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Philippe posted:

Tears of the Kingdom came out a couple days ago

That was a leak, it's not due for official release until May 12th

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Philippe posted:

Poke around all the buildings, not just robbery tips but any cabin you find in the woods, a lot of them have cool things to find. Maybe rob a train. There's YouTube videos on how to do that and get away clean, and tons of videos about neat secret areas you might have missed. More than that, save a backup and go play something faster paced for a while.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

Poke around all the buildings, not just robbery tips but any cabin you find in the woods, a lot of them have cool things to find. Maybe rob a train. There's YouTube videos on how to do that and get away clean, and tons of videos about neat secret areas you might have missed. More than that, save a backup and go play something faster paced for a while.

Find the ghost train, help out the wildlife photographer, track down Dracula and kill him, pet every dog, tame every horse breed, collect all the cigarette cards, watch all the KKK members kill themselves with their own stupidity, try and find 'GAVIIIIIN!', track down the robot built by Marko Dragic, revisit the old campsites for a nice audio treat, shoot rats on the docks at Saint Denis without getting the poo poo kicked out of you by the pigs, track down all the talismans, weapons, hats, masks etc. It's such a massively overstuffed game that I honestly get slightly exhausted thinking of all the things to do and I haven't even finished Chapter 6 yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if it's possible to get truly sick of rdr2; i finished my second (at least) replay maybe 2 months ago and I'm already kind of itching to play again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't know if it's possible to get truly sick of rdr2; i finished my second (at least) replay maybe 2 months ago and I'm already kind of itching to play again

only a few other games can match the same "get high and wander around the game world" vibe

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WoodrowSkillson posted:

only a few other games can match the same "get high and wander around the game world" vibe

Man I lived in RDR2 during the height of the first omicron wave. Any opportunity I had, I was smoking up and going fishing in the mountains or hanging out with my cowboy buddies (no Micahs allowed)

The atmosphere and immersion of this game is almost unparalleled

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Man I lived in RDR2 during the height of the first omicron wave. Any opportunity I had, I was smoking up and going fishing in the mountains or hanging out with my cowboy buddies (no Micahs allowed)

The atmosphere and immersion of this game is almost unparalleled

Witcher 3 is the only one off the top of my head that causes the same desire to just wander around listening to the music and looking at the scenery. HZD is gorgeous but never feels as conducive to just chilling. GTA 5 is long in the tooth these days but it fits the bill.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it's funny that people speedrun RDR2, and that the world record is like 12 hours.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Witcher 3 is the only one off the top of my head that causes the same desire to just wander around listening to the music and looking at the scenery. HZD is gorgeous but never feels as conducive to just chilling. GTA 5 is long in the tooth these days but it fits the bill.

Witcher 3 is too bitty for me to just wander. I'm always reminded that it's an RPG where I'm supposed to slay monsters (and find my weirdly hot daughter figure), whereas in Red Dead I feel much more free to enjoy the scenery.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
It has mediocre reviews but Days Gone is the only game that felt as immersive as RDR2 to me. The gameplay is a bit repetitive but that repetition involves wasting zombies by the dozen with a variety of automatic weapons, so I didn't get bored. The story has a couple of pretty good twists too imo.

I bounced off Witcher 3 a few times but I'm going to try again soon.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Comedian Joe Pera has a sleeping podcast, Drifting Off with Joe Pera. He interviews Roger Clark in the third episode.

I’ve not listened to it yet, but the tiktok Joe Pera made advertising the episode, he talks about spending lots of pandemic time in Red Dead Redemption 2, not really doing anything to move the story along, just moseying. If you’re inclined to listen to something as you fall asleep, could be interesting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Thinking of buying a new computer rig later this year. If I wanted to max out all of the settings for RDR2 at 1440p 175 hz on the new Alienware 34" curved OLED monitor, what kind of graphics card and processor should I be looking at?

Oh, that's new? My friend was looking into getting a new monitor, and while googling I came across that and was like "since when did they have OLED monitors with high refresh rates?" Was wondering if I was misreading it's specs, but I guess I wasn't. Last I checked the only option was getting the smallest OLED TV and using it as a monitor.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Another Bill posted:

It has mediocre reviews but Days Gone is the only game that felt as immersive as RDR2 to me. The gameplay is a bit repetitive but that repetition involves wasting zombies by the dozen with a variety of automatic weapons, so I didn't get bored. The story has a couple of pretty good twists too imo.

Days Gone's completely mediocre hunting/resource gathering was what brought me back to RDR2. I uninstalled it for the second time and never looked back. It's a good game but until I get very bored of RDR2, Days Gone will just seem like a cheap imitation. Plus, unlike RDR2, being outside feels like a drain on resources/punishment, as opposed to being able to live off of it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Another Bill posted:

if you ever do the W3 thread is still active and loves new players

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Could someone recommend a mod for PC to unlock the map? I've gotten near the end of ch2 on my second playthrough, not interested in progressing the story more atm but it would be cool to be able to wander around the southwest a bit on this save.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I think Lenny's Simple Trainer will let you travel around New Austin/West Elizabeth/wherever by disabling the instakill sniper but I haven't tried it and I'm not sure what happens if the law shows up, if that's what you're looking for. There's also a pretty cool mod that lets you take boats anywhere without sinking.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I'm playing this for the first time. I just got Micah out of jail along with the ensuing carnage. Just wondering if I'd have to pay the 300$ bounty I got afterwards or if there's some other way to deal with it (other than donating all my money to the camp and just surrender to bounty hunters).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm playing this for the first time. I just got Micah out of jail along with the ensuing carnage. Just wondering if I'd have to pay the 300$ bounty I got afterwards or if there's some other way to deal with it (other than donating all my money to the camp and just surrender to bounty hunters).

you will have to pay it, eventually you will have so much money it won't be a problem

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laughing Zealot posted:

The other way to deal with it is to find one of the caches of money and gold around the map and pay off your bounty.

That will happen a number of times throughout the game, you just have to either surrender to the police or take the hit and pay the fine

Between treasure maps and secret gold stashes, there is enough money in the game to pay off all of that kind of thing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s a gold bar or two in that burnt out town by the second campsite, which is a great early boost for money

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of money in people’s pockets

:getin:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

rotinaj posted:

There's a lot of money in people’s pockets

:getin:

My Arthur is a bizarrely nice guy when just on the road. Always greeting and helping people, otherwise just hunting and picking herbs and stuff.

And murdering them O'Driscolls.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laughing Zealot posted:

My Arthur is a bizarrely nice guy when just on the road. Always greeting and helping people, otherwise just hunting and picking herbs and stuff.

And murdering them O'Driscolls.

I love riding up to smoke columns in the wild and chatting with the folks i find. Some of ‘em are real nice and welcome me and i say howdy and mosey on. Some tell me to get out of here and i say fair enough and mosey on. Some get all aggro and talk poo poo to me about how i had better keep moving, and i do not mosey on. And some are o’driscolls. There is no moseying. And if i find that one dude who is planning to go rape the widow in the far north of annesburg, moseying is the furthest thing from my mind.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Laughing Zealot posted:

Same. Unless someone on the road is rude or threatening towards me when I ride past them. In which case I will turn around and murder them. And anyone who witnesses it. And any lawmen who come to find me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Player actions aside it’s amazing just how much better of a person Arthur instantly becomes the moment you’re doing anything not associated with the gang.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

christmas boots posted:

Player actions aside it’s amazing just how much better of a person Arthur instantly becomes the moment you’re doing anything not associated with the gang.

Quoth Mary Linton, "There's a good man inside you Arthur, but he's wrestling with a giant". The giant is called Dutch van der Linde.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don’t want to get too into it because of spoilers, but hosea definitely does not get enough criticism as one of the reasons the gang is so into crime and heists and essentially being snake oil salesmen at times. Reminds me some of nigel west dickens in RDR1.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Huh. I've never run into someone camping in the wild (besides named NPC's) who didn't immediately yell at me to gently caress off and draw on me if I didn't comply within seconds.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Osmosisch posted:

Huh. I've never run into someone camping in the wild (besides named NPC's) who didn't immediately yell at me to gently caress off and draw on me if I didn't comply within seconds.

It is extremely rare but it happens. He said something like come on over and enjoy the fire. I wish there were some kind of way i could have given that NPC something nice for not getting all salty at me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I don’t want to get too into it because of spoilers, but hosea definitely does not get enough criticism as one of the reasons the gang is so into crime and heists and essentially being snake oil salesmen at times. Reminds me some of nigel west dickens in RDR1.

I agree and I could go on about this for days. Can't right now because spoilers but it's something which really stuck out to me on my second playthrough. But hell Arthur himself says it at the start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfLq7jXd164&t=319s

The problem is, for all the writing quality, RDR2 remains a very un-subtle game. Because the game has a message it's trying to get across, you will be hearing far more about Hosea going "woe is me" and being a sad old man because that's a big part of the message. It's to contrast with Dutch who, whatever his virtues, is not a humble man.

Beware of spoilers but this is a Reddit thread I wrote on the topic.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

The ones that come to mind are:
- moonshiners
- random dude sitting by a tree reading
- guy who talks about trusting your gut and distrusting pig farmers
- guy who just loves herbs so much
- creepy peeping tom
- treasure hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

ploots posted:

The ones that come to mind are:
- moonshiners
- random dude sitting by a tree reading
- guy who talks about trusting your gut and distrusting pig farmers
- guy who just loves herbs so much
- creepy peeping tom
- treasure hunter

Don't forget the drunk soldier talking about the Native American camp where he killed people before passing out and/or dying in his sleep