Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Well, February is winter and low season, so I expect that ticket prices would be lower, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dpkg chopra posted:

Well, February is winter and low season, so I expect that ticket prices would be lower, no?

Yeah good point, that's probably part of it, but also Turkish Airlines was a a direct flight which tend to be more expensive. Since this is a firm date I'm not sure if it would be worth gambling on something cheaper showing up :ohdear:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dpkg chopra posted:

I don’t know if it’s applicable to you, but we just booked flights to Europe for about three months from now where the upgrade fee to a level where you get one no-charge checked bag plus the ability to cancel cost the same amount as checking one bag.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I just thought this was a funny routing from Hartford to Nashville:

Spirit Airlines $345 RT
BDL - MYR - EWR - BNA

Fly to Florida and back just to get in position for their one route to Nashville.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I met a dude on a MIA-ATL flight whose final destination was Fort Myers. I thought he was kidding, at first, but he said that this route was comped by work, and the direct one wasn't.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm surprised there is even a direct flight, it's a 2.5 hour drive. Maybe it's worth it if you don't have and don't need a car, but in Florida you pretty much need a car to get anywhere.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I regularly get offered MKE-CLT-IND and MKE-DFW-IND for when I need to go to IND. I wind up driving because even the more sane connections (MKE-DTW/MSP-IND, as an example) take five or six hours by the time you get there and I can drive it in four (or slightly more if Chicago traffic is being particularly :rolleyes: that day).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I posted a few months back about ticket prices , just checking in to make sure I’m looking at it right.

Scenario: flying from St. Louis to Kauai (Hawaii) , round trip, end of July through first week august.

Reason: friends marriage

Analysis / issue: whelp, my guess is that this is probably the worst time cost wise to travel. Prices are still what they were in November (I wasn’t exactly surprised).

In general, I think a departure of Thurs July 27th , and a return of Friday the 4th or sat the 5th (if I can swing it a few days longer even better just vacation wise) is what makes sense.

Still looking at $1300 a ticket (it’s two of us) round trip give or take. Chicago is the nearest “big city” and seems similar.

If it comes to it, we’ll pay it and move on, just curious if anyone has anything I am missing?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so I posted a few months back about ticket prices , just checking in to make sure I’m looking at it right.

Scenario: flying from St. Louis to Kauai (Hawaii) , round trip, end of July through first week august.

Reason: friends marriage

Analysis / issue: whelp, my guess is that this is probably the worst time cost wise to travel. Prices are still what they were in November (I wasn’t exactly surprised).

In general, I think a departure of Thurs July 27th , and a return of Friday the 4th or sat the 5th (if I can swing it a few days longer even better just vacation wise) is what makes sense.

Still looking at $1300 a ticket (it’s two of us) round trip give or take. Chicago is the nearest “big city” and seems similar.

If it comes to it, we’ll pay it and move on, just curious if anyone has anything I am missing?

You could save a couple hundred bucks flying out of Nashville, as I see BNA-KOA on Delta for $808, but that's an early departure out of BNA so you'd have to get down there the night before and have a hotel and whatnot. But that may make sense if the difference is $1000.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beef Of Ages posted:

You could save a couple hundred bucks flying out of Nashville, as I see BNA-KOA on Delta for $808, but that's an early departure out of BNA so you'd have to get down there the night before and have a hotel and whatnot. But that may make sense if the difference is $1000.

Oh I’ll check this out. My bad though, we are flying to Kauai specifically (LIH) so KOA wouldn’t quite due the trick.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm seeing $1000 flights for those dates, unless I fat fingered something.

The other thing you can try is pricing flights to Honolulu and then booking the inter-island flight separately, those are generally pretty cheap and frequent.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

I'm seeing $1000 flights for those dates, unless I fat fingered something.

The other thing you can try is pricing flights to Honolulu and then booking the inter-island flight separately, those are generally pretty cheap and frequent.

Yeah I was looking at Alaskan and American , but it looks like Southwest is a bit lower at $1,000-1,100 round trip per person.

I don’t fly that much, but never had an issue with Southwest in the past and actually somewhat enjoyed flying Southwest. Just to check: should the poo poo that went down over December change that, or was that a bad one time meltdown / they’re gonna be on their toes for a bit as a result ?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They will be nowhere near fixing the underlying problem that made it such a disaster but the triggering circumstances are somewhat unlikely to recur. You're gambling when you take them that there won't be an event that simultaneously shuts down two or more airports they run a lot of flights through. They are making a big deal about "fixing their crew scheduling software" this week because that got all the bad press but all their computer infrastructure is old and rickety and next time it'll be something else like their baggage handling software that falls over.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I'm going to a wedding in Poland in late June. I'm flying from Chicago and planning on an open jaw trip (ORD->FRA->WAW; VIE->ORD). I first checked the price on Lufthansa's site around Christmas, $1,200 round-trip. The next day when I went to pull the trigger, the price shot up to $1,500. It's been more or less there ever since. Is there any truth to the notion that the cheapest prices are to be had four months before your leave date?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I noticed the same thing last month with different US -> European cities, but it wasn’t four months, more like 90 days before the flights.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to book a flight with miles and don't see the return flight available for miles, only for cash. UA108 on 4/16 (IAD to muc) shows up fine, but UA8860 aka Lufthansa 452 (Muc to lax) doesn't. Miles shows me a bunch of Lufthansa flight options for the return, but not the direct. Any chance it becomes available later, or I can book with united miles via Lufthansa for this?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The Vikings posted:

I'm trying to book a flight with miles and don't see the return flight available for miles, only for cash. UA108 on 4/16 (IAD to muc) shows up fine, but UA8860 aka Lufthansa 452 (Muc to lax) doesn't. Miles shows me a bunch of Lufthansa flight options for the return, but not the direct. Any chance it becomes available later, or I can book with united miles via Lufthansa for this?

Apologies for not seeing this sooner. Award availability is always wonky; it could become available at any time. Alerts via a paid ExpertFlyer membership is the easiest way to go about waiting for the I fare bucket to open. But even then, there's no guarantee that it will.

And no, you can't use UA miles via Lufty. Partners don't always have the same availability and some keep some rewards for the customers of their loyalty program specifically so again, it's often a crapshoot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Under the very very broad conditions of "I need to take a week or so off work over the next two months, so I should probably fly wherever", how do I find the cheapest possible flight to literally wherever (i.e, I'm more interested in how cheap the flight is than the destination)?

Country of origin is Israel, and I've been told there are no more cheap flights from airports other than Ben Gurion (TLV).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 24, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

Under the very very broad conditions of "I need to take a week or so off work over the next two months, so I should probably fly wherever", how do I find the cheapest possible flight to wherever?

Country of origin is Israel, and I've been told there are no more cheap flights from airports other than Ben Gurion (TLV).

Kayak has a pretty handy map which I sometimes use exactly for this time of situation. I think google had a similar tool somewhere?
https://www.kayak.com/explore/TLV-anywhere/20230501,20230630

I've flown to Tel Aviv and Eilat before with Ryanair so that's an option too, the Fare Finder works pretty well for this
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/cheap-flights/?from=TLV&out-from-date=2023-04-23&out-to-date=2024-04-23&budget=150

Wizzair has a similar thing going here:
https://wizzair.com/en-gb/cheap-flights

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Google Flights has the Explore feature as well, spin the wheel and see where you land.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there any appreciable difference between American, Delta and Alaska for flying between Phoenix, Seattle and Las Vegas? They seem to be my options for direct flights (plus Spirit, but I've heard they're pretty poo poo). Should I just get whatever's cheapest or is there one to avoid?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

greazeball posted:

Is there any appreciable difference between American, Delta and Alaska for flying between Phoenix, Seattle and Las Vegas? They seem to be my options for direct flights (plus Spirit, but I've heard they're pretty poo poo). Should I just get whatever's cheapest or is there one to avoid?

If you're flying in economy, given those options you should fly on price followed by schedule. Spirit is sort of ok usually for nonstop flights if you're traveling light but there is slightly more risk there.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I want to buy four tickets on Vueling for a flight from VLC to FCO in November.

What is a bit weird to me is if I tell it I just want one ticket the price is €59, but when I say four the price is €69 each. As far as I can tell the tickets are the same so what gives? Either way you still have to pay extra to choose a seat or bring more liggage.

My guess is the four tickets bought together will be assigned seats next to each other, maybe? But if I am going to pay an extra few bucks to pick my seats then that doesn't matter.

I am tempted to book the four tickets separately Just Because. Or is there something else I am missing?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

other people posted:

I want to buy four tickets on Vueling for a flight from VLC to FCO in November.

What is a bit weird to me is if I tell it I just want one ticket the price is €59, but when I say four the price is €69 each. As far as I can tell the tickets are the same so what gives? Either way you still have to pay extra to choose a seat or bring more liggage.

My guess is the four tickets bought together will be assigned seats next to each other, maybe? But if I am going to pay an extra few bucks to pick my seats then that doesn't matter.

I am tempted to book the four tickets separately Just Because. Or is there something else I am missing?

That annoyingly happens with a lot of operators, at least in Europe and the MENA region. This means they have < 4 tickets available in the €59 price bracket, so they will sell you four tickets in the €69 price bracket instead. I have had to split up ticket purchases for that reason, and I always look for one ticket even if I am going to get two, as it is never cheaper to get two together, usually the same price, and sometimes cheaper to do 1+1. Kind of annoying to not be seated together but it’s not like VLC to FCO is a very long flight. I’d see how many tickets you can get at €59, buy that many, then buy the remainder at €69. (If the price of two tickets purchased together is 2x the price of a single ticket then I do that - nicer to be on one purchase.)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, there are lots of different fare buckets that are representative of different price points, time-based availability, capacity, changeability, refundability, and other sundry restrictions that make up the fare rules for a given ticket. That same seat exists in multiple of those fare buckets at the same time depending on the parameters of what is being requested. In this case, there was at least one seat in the fare bucket that was priced at €59 but not four seats; four seats from a capacity standpoint only existed in the bucket that was priced at €69.

It's how airlines manage their yields; only so many seats are available at the lower fares. Generally, the more seats sold, the higher the price thanks to the laws of supply and demand. It's much more complicated than X number of seats at Y price.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

if 10 quid is a dealbreaker then you shouldn't be traveling at all

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

peanut posted:

if 10 quid is a dealbreaker then you shouldn't be traveling at all

it's not peanut, I was just trying to understand why it changed.

Thabk you all for the explanation, that was exactly it. Turned out there were three tickets left at the cheaper rate so I got those. I paid a bit more for the fourth but I was needing to buy it separately anyway since I wanted to have one extra carryon for the group and when buying them all together that was an all or nothing proposition.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Any tips or advice on a good price to Vietnam/Thailand from the US East coast? I saw one from NYC to Ho Chi Minh for ~$1000 round trip in september. That seems like a good deal?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

goodness posted:

Any tips or advice on a good price to Vietnam/Thailand from the US East coast? I saw one from NYC to Ho Chi Minh for ~$1000 round trip in september. That seems like a good deal?

I don't see anything dramatically better. Lots of options in that price range though and some economy experiences are better than others so I'm happy to look in more detail if you'd like.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's a pretty good deal from the east coast. A couple of months ago I got tickets from Atlanta to HCMC in November for $700. I heard about them through Going/Scott's Cheap Flights and was able to book them directly through Air Canada, so no intermediary shenanigans (e.g. Priceline).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That's a pretty good deal from the east coast. A couple of months ago I got tickets from Atlanta to HCMC in November for $700. I heard about them through Going/Scott's Cheap Flights and was able to book them directly through Air Canada, so no intermediary shenanigans (e.g. Priceline).

This is the way (and that's a good fare).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are Europe plane tickets this Spring/Summer just insane? My typical Amsterdam trip is an extra $1k :eyepop:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are Europe plane tickets this Spring/Summer just insane? My typical Amsterdam trip is an extra $1k :eyepop:

Yeah, for some reason I never figured out, flights USA-Europe-USA are often double the price of flights Europe-USA-Europe. Like I can get a direct summer round trip from Zurich to Los Angeles right now for $750, but the other direction on the same carrier (Swiss) it’s $1800. I see other tickets for like $1300 with one change in Toronto, just not the direct.

You can also check if Brussels airport gives you significantly cheaper flights. It’s like a €30 euro pp train ticket each way and adds 3 hours to your trip though, so it’d have to be a large savings or much better itinerary to make it worthwhile, but definitely worth a look.

You can also mess around with hidden city ticketing that sometimes works, like I got a ticket to Japan this summer that was like €800 cheaper if going Luxembourg-Zurich-Tokyo as compared to the Zurich-Tokyo direct, and then on the return I just get off in Zürich. Just be aware that hidden city ticketing is a pain in the rear end to figure out and you can only skip the very last leg of the flight, so it might not be as useful for non-Europeans where travelling between airports is a much bigger hassle.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ticket prices for transatlantic flights (at least the ones I looked at) went up about 40-60% for flights starting on May 12. To be clear, I mean back in February you could see flights on May 11 for $800 and the same flight on May 12 cost $1200. I could track that behavior for weeks and the shift point was always May 12.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Weird, I wonder what happened in the middle of May. Prices are so high, I guess I'll pass on a European Spring-Summer vacation.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Pushing my trip back a month or two, so If I plan to fly to SEA in late October, November, or December, I'm assuming it would be wise to wait on buying a ticket since the prices are high?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

goodness posted:

Pushing my trip back a month or two, so If I plan to fly to SEA in late October, November, or December, I'm assuming it would be wise to wait on buying a ticket since the prices are high?

That's probably a fair bet. Cruise season in Seattle is starting up so stuff is going to be nuts. Traditionally fares tend to drop after Labor Day but that is becoming less and less true as airlines continue to mature in using data for dynamic pricing to maximize their yields. I'd put a watch on it and if it drops to a point you're comfortable paying, go for it.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I noticed the same thing last month with different US -> European cities, but it wasn’t four months, more like 90 days before the flights.

Is that true for inter-European flights too? I'm about to buy some flights for Zagreb > Gotheborg and Stockholm > Zagreb for a trip in mid-August.
We're looking at LCCs, like Ryanair and Wizzair.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Is that true for inter-European flights too? I'm about to buy some flights for Zagreb > Gotheborg and Stockholm > Zagreb for a trip in mid-August.
We're looking at LCCs, like Ryanair and Wizzair.

Not generally, no. The European market behaves very differently in most cases because there are options to move around the continent that don't involve airplanes which is not, sadly, something the US has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What flight search engine provides the best price alerts? I'm interested in maximum flexibility for the best deal possible. Date, day of the week, and trip length don't really matter (well, anything between 3 days and maybe 2 weeks). Is there anything that will tell me "holy poo poo there's a flight on these days four months out that's 30% less than the normal price" without needing me to pick dates?