Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Well a jump worked. Guess instead of bacon and eggs I'm running to O'Reilly's for a battery check. Thanks all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Roundup Ready posted:

Well a jump worked. Guess instead of bacon and eggs I'm running to O'Reilly's for a battery check. Thanks all

No worries, I had the same thing happen to my 16 GTI during the winter, my battery was original from the factory at the time and I'd just spaced about it.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My battery is og from 2011 and apparently still is fine. However it's looking like probably my alternator. Little more than a battery. poo poo.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://glenshelly.com/sales/1989-honda-civic

also

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Roundup Ready posted:

Modern cars do really weird poo poo when the batteries go bad, as you’ve discovered.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My GTI started throwing all sorts of error codes this weekend. Still under warranty, but they can't get it in until the 22nd. Not looking forward to pulling the jb4 out before I take it in, that bottom plug is always a bitch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Gonna start seriously looking for an ST3 in June. :getin:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Hmmm, my dealership at which I have a deposit down at msrp is suspiciously listing a GR at 10k over.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

gvibes posted:

Hmmm, my dealership at which I have a deposit down at msrp is suspiciously listing a GR at 10k over.

That’s hosed. 10 miles on the odometer used?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

no lube so what posted:

That’s hosed. 10 miles on the odometer used?
No, new but not arrived yet. Though it went pending since I emailed my dude earlier.

e: white with red interior too. Love.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Red interior?

I thought it is only black cloth for core, and then black pleather for circuit & morizo

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

no lube so what posted:

Red interior?

I thought it is only black cloth for core, and then black pleather for circuit & morizo
Is the "cockpit red" actually black? Looks like you are right. poo poo. Yeah this is a circuit.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 15, 2023

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

devmd01 posted:

Gonna start seriously looking for an ST3 in June. :getin:

What's the price range on FoST's these days? A buddy was looking last year and they were in the low $20ks which is what I paid for mine new

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Got the Ecoboost 1.0 Fiesta, forgot how bad plastic bodied cable shifters are. I definitely want to fix that, ugh. I took the coast route up PCH and Malibu Canyon and it handles pretty well, though has some understeer that isn't easily driven around.

The thing makes zero turbo noise other than a hiss from the muffler at full boost, so that needs to change. I already have a resonator deleted turbo outlet pipe and boost gauge mount coming. What a wild intake, it wraps all the way around the engine to reach the air box on the left side.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

I was bored on my lunch break last week and decided to look at Toyota's inventory site. Found a dealer in bumfuck nowhere Nebraska with a GRC. Called them and it was available for MSRP. Got super lucky and picked it up over the weekend.

Really didn't want a black car but beggars can't be choosers. Put 700 miles on it over the weekend. Coming from owning Miatas and 86s this car is scary fast. The engine is phenomenal and has a very old school feel. All the power is above 4k. It really wants you to ring it out. The car feels like it has endless amounts of grip. The suspension is really well tuned for aggressive street driving. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement but it's very composed otherwise. It's been perfect for the mountain roads in Colorado. The shifter feels great, especially for being cable operated. It has a very mechanical feel. The seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I drove for nearly 10 hours yesterday with no butt pain at all. In my Crosstrek I'd be uncomfortable after about 2 hours.

The technology package is dog poo poo. The JBL stereo is terrible. The wireless charger barely works. Wireless Android Auto is a coin flip every time you start the car. The nav included in the package requires a subscription to use.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the car. I'm stoked to get it out to a track day and really figure out it's limits. Hopefully I don't die in a canyon before then.

gently caress yeah dude welcome to the club.

I'm in Utah but might be going to a basin next weekend to shred with friends and I'm definitely planning on taking the scenic route in my grc

E: car is literally made for mountain roads, as Utah snowpack melts out I'm finally getting this thing on some proper canyon Twisties and hoooooly poo poo it just grips, and grips, and grips. Corners so flat, holds speed, fires around turns goddamn

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 20, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

My GTI started throwing all sorts of error codes this weekend. Still under warranty, but they can't get it in until the 22nd. Not looking forward to pulling the jb4 out before I take it in, that bottom plug is always a bitch.

So the CEL went away this past Thursday on its own. I didn't clear the codes myself, but they are no longer showing when I try to read them either. I pulled the JB4 today (so much easier now that I got some ramps) and am still planning to take it in Monday morning, just wondering now wtf is up with it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

What are the options for replacing the rear valance on a '14 FoST? I cracked mine and busted the support too.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
If rail strikes continue in the UK, i’ll probably end up renting a car to get from Edinburgh to London. I haven’t driven anything in the UK spec: how do VW polos, audi a1, bmw 1 series, and whatever cheap vauxhall compare?

Polo the same as a US spec golf? An A1 is just a tarted up polo?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Head Bee Guy posted:

If rail strikes continue in the UK, i’ll probably end up renting a car to get from Edinburgh to London. I haven’t driven anything in the UK spec: how do VW polos, audi a1, bmw 1 series, and whatever cheap vauxhall compare?

drive one of the FiST revisions that the US didn’t get, like the last one with the 3-cylinder

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Polo is a smaller car than a Golf. Nice little car though, my wife has a 1.0T one and it feels very Golf-like if not quite as refined and noise dampened. Not sure I’d want to travel the length of the UK in one.

Audi A1 is the same size as a Polo but jazzed up I suppose.

I would avoid Vauxhall like the plague tbh but that’s partly snobbery as we only seem to like VWs in this house. I haven’t driven one in a very long time and the fresher models do look okay.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Head Bee Guy posted:

Polo is to Golf as Fiesta is to Focus.

But yeah, drive the last gen FiST or a Renault Clio (RS16 or 220 Turbo if you can).

The UK is a land where hot hatches roam wild and free, grazing on the verdant fields from Dover to the Scottish Highlands. Capture and ride one of those mythical beasts.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I thought the Vauxhall Corsa I rented in Scotland was perfectly fine. More than enough room for two people and luggage, and then some.

It was anything but hot, though.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Getting married, registering for car parts. Terrible Robot has gotten out ahead of me with parts for his Mustang and Volvo. What toys do I want for my mostly stock 2016 FiST? To be clear, this is an arms race.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

S280, intercooler, downpipe, probably a CAI, spend money on a tune. Bilstein springs, wider tires, probably don’t need a BBK, but it’s certainly back burner if you do.

A lot of stuff is down to preference, like short throw shifters and the like.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Already have it tuned, Bilsteins got put on a few months ago, and running Yokohama summer tires that I love. Short throw shifter is here but TR is going to have to tear the whole interior apart to install that and change the bearings. Exhaust parts are definitely on the list. Good ideas!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

S280, intercooler, downpipe, probably a CAI, spend money on a tune. Bilstein springs, wider tires, probably don’t need a BBK, but it’s certainly back burner if you do.

A lot of stuff is down to preference, like short throw shifters and the like.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How's the FiST as a road trip car? It looks fun for around town but I'm curious about noise and other comfort in that interior.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’ve done multi-day trips in mine and been mostly happy. Noise insulation isn’t great and the Recaros don’t let you do a lot of shifting around for those longer trips if you’re big boned but I just try to plan around more fun roads if it doesn’t take a massive detour. Interstate road trips can be a little meh imo. Whenever I do long stretches on the highway I get a tiny little buzz in my brain that says “Shoulda bought a GTI”.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a multi day trip kinda person but I found mine OK on 10-ish hour interstate drives. I'll echo that the main things were that the noise can be a bit much (especially if you live somewhere with higher speed limits and wind) and the recaros don't let you wiggle that much.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I've been in the market for the stock FiST shocks/springs, even as takeoffs. Does anyone have a set floating around? My 1.0 Ecoboost ain't exactly sporty with nearly 100k on the rental car spec stuff..

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

blk posted:

How's the FiST as a road trip car? It looks fun for around town but I'm curious about noise and other comfort in that interior.

I do not love it on long trips. Lots of vibration on the highway and the seats are not comfy.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I haven’t taken my FiST (no Recaros) on anything longer than a 3-hour drive, but even at that length it is better than my Abarth (noisy and twitchy at high speeds) or 3rd gen Fit (very flat seats, no power, even less insulation) were. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it on a much longer trip, but my tolerances might be different than other folks’.

I will note that I downsized the wheels from 17” to 16” and that might have had a positive effect on road comfort and noise.

Hell I drove a base model 3-cylinder 500 last year 1000 miles across the UK, and the time before that I did 1600 miles in a Hyundai i10 over there as well with no issues. I’m curious to see what absolute pile of rat poo poo I get for my 2400 mile European blast in September. I WISH it would be as nice as the FiST!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I will note that I downsized the wheels from 17” to 16” and that might have had a positive effect on road comfort and noise.

I haven’t done this but I did go up one step on the sidewall height which helped comfort and somewhat reduce all the crashing and banging over expansion joints and whatnot.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dropping to 16" wheels makes a noticeable difference in ride quality. I have done 3 FL to michigan trips and works fine. although i am a smaller dude so the recaros arent uncomfortable for me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, I run regular 8 hour trips and everything said above is true. It’s a little noisy, but that’s to be expected. I don’t have any issues with ride comfort, even on stock wheels and tires. I certainly don’t think of it as a “in-town only” car.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DJ Commie posted:

I've been in the market for the stock FiST shocks/springs, even as takeoffs. Does anyone have a set floating around? My 1.0 Ecoboost ain't exactly sporty with nearly 100k on the rental car spec stuff..

Look into the Bilstein B8s, as they’re stock replacements for the FiST. Other option is to hit up ST forums, folks swap them all the time.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

16” is the best size for the FiST. Maybe I could have gone a little wider, but the 205/45 DWS06 on there seem to have plenty of grip for everyday spirited driving, have low road noise, and they’re wearing amazingly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

blk posted:

I just got back yesterday from a 900 mile round trip in mine, about 7ish hours each way. I'd say it gets uncomfortable around hour five, as a 6' 210 lb man. That's when I start getting fidgety and having to adjust position a lot to keep my right knee, heel, or rear end from hurting. If you stop and take breaks more often it'd probably be fine, but I'm one of those idiots who prefers to spend a few hours recovering at the destination rather than wandering around a truck stop for 20 minutes every couple hundred miles.

When I can justify the cost, I prefer to rent a sedan or minivan for long trips. The car itself is fine, but in the end it's a cheap car made sporty and comfort was not on the priority list.

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

I've got a set that I'd happily rehome since they've just been sitting around in my living room ever since I swapped them out. I am in Vancouver though, so I am not sure if it would be easy to get them to you.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Look into the Bilstein B8s, as they’re stock replacements for the FiST. Other option is to hit up ST forums, folks swap them all the time.

Thanks, I'll have a look. Last time I purchased sporty shocks, the Koni STR.T range didn't even exist.

Skeletard posted:

I've got a set that I'd happily rehome since they've just been sitting around in my living room ever since I swapped them out. I am in Vancouver though, so I am not sure if it would be easy to get them to you.

I'll have a look on the cost, if they have low enough kms I'd be fine with shipping. Finding out the Fiesta non-ST are banned in SCCA Solo/autox for CoG over 1.2 means I'd really need something to get it lower, the ST OE hardware is 15mm down as I recall, making it legal (and totally uncompetitive) in its prepared class.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally have the wife convinced and even about a specific ST3, gonna call them about a buy and fly tomorrow. Already got pre-approval from my bank.

We went to see a 2017 titanium yesterday as she was concerned about back seat space and is good with it, so I may just pull off the “normal focus to ST” switcheroo. She’s gonna be real annoyed, lmao.