Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know what the current state of it is, but I've used an ancient version of font xplorer in the past. You can have it display custom text in all available fonts and possibly uninstall them one by one from the right click menu if you run it as administrator. It wouldn't be automated, but make a manual effort more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Should I update from Windows 10 to 11?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

NotNut posted:

Should I update from Windows 10 to 11?

what's the fuss? same poo poo, different colour.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Volguus posted:

what's the fuss? same poo poo, different colour.

I haven't switched yet but I'm sure I'll be aggravated by task bar changes when I get there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

W11 is generally okay as an OS but I'm sad to see the tiles gone, it was a legit good design decision and Microsoft are goofballs to move away from it. The bing focused start menu is trash.

But if one doesn't care about start menus upgrading is fine.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Recently upgraded to 11, new start menu is bad, but I stopped using it years ago so not a big deal for me. Only major annoyance is not having the option for windows to never combine on the task bar.

Other random annoyances like some new settings menus being worse and having to dig to find the old version that gives you more options/settings. (Sound/audio settings I'm looking at you)

Overall it's "fine" imo.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rakeris posted:

Recently upgraded to 11, new start menu is bad, but I stopped using it years ago so not a big deal for me. Only major annoyance is not having the option for windows to never combine on the task bar.

I installed an app to fix the "never combine" thing on my dual monitor system. Worked fine but wanted money so I uninstalled it because it didn't bother me enough to pay for. My primary monitor went back to normal but the fix remained on my secondary, so it must be a simple setting somewhere perhaps in the Registry?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't know what the current state of it is, but I've used an ancient version of font xplorer in the past. You can have it display custom text in all available fonts and possibly uninstall them one by one from the right click menu if you run it as administrator. It wouldn't be automated, but make a manual effort more efficient.

Tesseraction posted:

I figured someone had something better for you but I opened up WSL / Debian and ran

code:
cd /mnt/c/Windows/Fonts
for a in * ; do fc-scan $a | grep lang | grep pl 1>/dev/null ; if [[ $? -eq 0 ]] ; then : ; else echo $a ; fi  ; done
and it spits out a list of fonts that don't explicitly say they support Polish as a language. I'd probably not dare just delete every one that fails since things like WingDings will necessarily not handle Polish, but should give you a list to work with.

Thank you both! May your lower back never ache and your sleep always be restful.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Whenever Microsoft starts forcing Windows 11 will probably be the point where I finally switch to Linux

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Windows 11 is fine. Even my boomer dad upgraded and has had no issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just wish Microsoft would be content with their $72bn net income each year and not sell advertising into the OS I use. I don't want to open an app to see what the weather is going to do and get a face full of headlines from Murdoch rags bashing migrants and trans people.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've been running third party start menu, search, explorer, text editor, browser etc for donkey's years now. Takes away a lot of the aggravation. Am glad not to be using the taskbar in a nonstandard way though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

I just wish Microsoft would be content with their $72bn net income each year and not sell advertising into the OS I use. I don't want to open an app to see what the weather is going to do and get a face full of headlines from Murdoch rags bashing migrants and trans people.

All that stuff is trivial to turn off and without touching reg keys or gpo's. I don't see any of that on my work or home computers and I've been running 11 for years.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Thanks Ants posted:

I think this is just the future of software-as-a-service, for better or for worse. Windows is basically being given away for free, it's pretty clear the strategy of Microsoft is to get it on as many machines as possible. For those of us who don't mind tinkering a bit with things, it's not a bad deal. We get good to high quality software for a low to zero price, with the drawback of needing to do all we can to get rid of the (free-to-use) annoyances. It's similar to the direction that video games are going, for example.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Would be nice if they leaned into it instead of technically demanding $160/$270 for home/pro non-OEM, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenNight posted:

Windows 11 is fine. Even my boomer dad upgraded and has had no issues.

My super boomer FIL got automatically updated to 11 and didn't say a word.

This is a man who lost his poo poo after an update to Yahoo Mail a while back because it moved the compose button.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SEKCobra posted:

Whenever Microsoft starts forcing Windows 11 will probably be the point where I finally switch to Linux

FWIW I did this starting a year ago and have had a really good time.

I set things up so I could either dual-boot or run my old windows in a VM. I've not rebooted into to windows for a year, and the most frequent reason I fire up the VM is to troubleshoot other people's windows problems.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

FWIW I did this starting a year ago and have had a really good time.

I set things up so I could either dual-boot or run my old windows in a VM. I've not rebooted into to windows for a year, and the most frequent reason I fire up the VM is to troubleshoot other people's windows problems.

Do you game?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Rakeris posted:

Wait, seriously? So if I have four documents open in Notepad, now I have to click twice instead of once to get to one from the task bar? Do they at least not combine if there's ample space?

Rakeris posted:

Other random annoyances like some new settings menus being worse and having to dig to find the old version that gives you more options/settings. (Sound/audio settings I'm looking at you)

As long as the old ones are still available, I guess. But Windows 10 was already doing that, especially with the audio settings.

GreenNight posted:

All that stuff is trivial to turn off and without touching reg keys or gpo's. I don't see any of that on my work or home computers and I've been running 11 for years.

Is there any way to make the News and Interests thing only show you weather and traffic? I like using it to check weather easily but I don't want to see all the other bullshit, especially since sometimes the button shows the temperature like I want it to, but other times it shows the price of USD vs Kuwaiti Dinars

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

NotNut posted:

Wait, seriously? So if I have four documents open in Notepad, now I have to click twice instead of once to get to one from the task bar? Do they at least not combine if there's ample space?

Yuup.
The alternatives are to hover the button for a moment and click the right preview tile, or to use win+tab for an apple-style overview and click the one you want.

Sounds like they may be adding it back in, though

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

NotNut posted:

No, hover over the notepad group and then click once on the one you want. It's really not that bad, not sure what the big fuss is about.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Pvt. Parts posted:

No, hover over the notepad group and then click once on the one you want. It's really not that bad, not sure what the big fuss is about.

It's extra work for no reason. Instead of looking for something and clicking it, you look where to click, click, then look for something and click it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pvt. Parts posted:

Pure wasted time and effort. Really, it's an important feature. Just because it doesn't affect your productivity, don't make assumptions about others

Edit: good to see they're looking to fix it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pvt. Parts posted:

Do you game?

Yes, but:
• I rarely buy new games day 1
• no online competitive stuff with heavy anti-cheat

What valve has done with Proton is really impressive, and with the steamdeck being a big success the game companies are starting to care too. The way that games Just Work was just astonishing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Win-tab and click the right window is arguably even nicer.
But I get how it feels like a basic usability feature if you're used to it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Windows 11 is not a problem for boomers. It's a problem for power users.

I'll be re-examining Linux in 2026. LTSC support expires at that point. I'll also be watching Windows 12 carefully - Windows has a storied history of releasing dogshit, then walking back the worst parts of said dogshit with the next release.

Gaming is an issue, but something that is reasonable to address. The real killer here honestly is Visual Studio - I actively refuse to touch any other IDE. VS is bae.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 15, 2023

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Yeah my thoughts exactly, I'm a power user, more familiar with Windows than I probably want to be, my mom isn't gonna care about most problems I have with the OS, but I sure as hell care about the little (and big) crap they do. Also is OK that a boomer doesn't care about the OS becoming spy- & adware, I do.
Only reason I even am still on Windows is gaming, and as I age it gets less important, plus Steam Deck has shown me what is possible with Proton, so those games that don't go with the program will just not exist for me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Windows 11 is not a problem for boomers. It's a problem for power users.

I'll be re-examining Linux in 2026. LTSC support expires at that point. I'll also be watching Windows 12 carefully - Windows has a storied history of releasing dogshit, then walking back the worst parts of said dogshit with the next release.

Gaming is an issue, but something that is reasonable to address. The real killer here honestly is Visual Studio - I actively refuse to touch any other IDE. VS is bae.

The current LTSC ends in 2032 - Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021

Edit: before anyone comes and starts bashing LTSC, this is just purely informational

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 16, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

HalloKitty posted:

The current LTSC ends in 2032 - Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021

Edit: before anyone comes and starts bashing LTSC, this is just purely informational

Sounds like I'm not looking at different OSes for another nine years then :colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Computer viking posted:

Win-tab and click the right window is arguably even nicer.
But I get how it feels like a basic usability feature if you're used to it.

As someone who's first computer was Windows 3.1.1, I am so used to Alt+Tab that I forget Win+Tab even exists.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I don't see an Apple Music Preview thread for Windows so I'm trying my luck here (I'll probably cross--post to another thread too).

I want to try out the above app on my Windows 11 machine but it refuses to add any songs from my library. Any idea why this is?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Now that Windows 10 mainstream support has ended that's the only sane choice if you have hardware that doesn't support 11 or need to use more than one window of an app like Excel.
The sad thing is that Microsoft made it based on 21H2 and not 22H2. So no easy way to upgrade existing install that's already on 22H2.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The LTSC version I have suggests support ending in 2026. I might have the wrong version I suppose?

E: Yep, There are apparently two version of LTSC. The Enterprise IoT one is good until 2032, and then the non IoT one seems to go until 2026.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MikusR posted:

Now that Windows 10 mainstream support has ended that's the only sane choice if you have hardware that doesn't support 11 or need to use more than one window of an app like Excel.
The sad thing is that Microsoft made it based on 21H2 and not 22H2. So no easy way to upgrade existing install that's already on 22H2.

Are there appreciable differences between 21H2 and 22H2? I also personally agree, it's the sane choice.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 17, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MikusR posted:

Windows 10 has full support for a few years more, they're just not adding more features. It's a perfectly reasonable choice to keep using 10 on existing hardware, though on anything new you'll probably have to move to 11 (or 12) during its lifetime.

Of course there are other reasons to use 11 on new hardware, like the scheduler tweaks for intel CPUs with power and performance cores.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 17, 2023

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ is local network and sharing stuff just broken now on Windows?

I have been trying to do the (previously extremely simple) job of making my Public documents folder accessible by other computers on my home network, so I can just easily transfer files between my PC and laptop.
When I was doing this between a Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 laptop, it worked fine as long as you did a couple of things, i.e. in the Network and Sharing centre, under 'Private' network you Turn on Network Discovery; Turn on file & printer sharing, then under 'All Networks' you turn off password-protected sharing and turn on Public Folder Sharing.

I'm doing this now with the same Windows 10 PC, but with a new, Windows 11 laptop. Both are on the same wifi. Both have that WIFI set as a 'private network'. Both have all the above-mentioned settings set up correctly. And yet, when (in explorer) I go to 'Network' and then try to go into either computer from either end, it comes up with an 'Enter Network Credentials' prompt. No username and password that I can discover, works. I have tried adding a Windows Credential in the Credential Manager - that didn't work.

Anyone know how to fix this, without just going to Microsoft headquarters and burning that motherfucker down?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are they both on the same domain? Settings -> System -> About (bottom of the list) -> Advanced System Settings -> Computer Name. I've had that setting be a problem.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I've been using Windows shortcuts to websites as bookmarks, because I didn't want to lose them in case I switch browsers again, and I had the idea that I could put the date "2023-05-18" in the Description field so I could sort by it, as opposed to putting (May 18, 2023) in parentheses at the end. Then I ran into https://superuser.com/questions/1419955/cant-edit-web-shortcut-details-section-gives-access-denied-on-web-shortcuts which was frustrating. Now that I think about it, I could just move the date to the start of the file name, since it's not like I care about sorting the bookmarks alphabetically. (edit: tangentially, the date relates to the bookmarks being for political news articles)

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 19, 2023

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That sounds like someone at Microsoft forgot that sort of shortcut existed. I really like your idea of using shortcuts to be browser agnostic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I've been using Windows shortcuts to websites as bookmarks, because I didn't want to lose them in case I switch browsers again, and I had the idea that I could put the date "2023-05-18" in the Description field so I could sort by it, as opposed to putting (May 18, 2023) in parentheses at the end. Then I ran into https://superuser.com/questions/1419955/cant-edit-web-shortcut-details-section-gives-access-denied-on-web-shortcuts which was frustrating. Now that I think about it, I could just move the date to the start of the file name, since it's not like I care about sorting the bookmarks alphabetically. (edit: tangentially, the date relates to the bookmarks being for political news articles)

Every browser can export/import every other browsers bookmarks.