Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
WaPo also saying that White House demands that they close 13 tax loopholes and count the revenue raised from that as part of the deficit reduction was also part of the breakdown. House Republicans are united in insisting that no new revenue be raised.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1658184438503596061
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1658104700313452546

quote:

The cryptocurrency proposal would ensure that investors cannot claim a loss on an asset that they then quickly repurchase — a rule that already exists for stocks and other assets. Similarly, the real estate proposal sought by the White House would prevent investors from deferring taxes on swaps of property — similar to a rule for stock trades.

The real estate plan and cryptocurrency rule changes would probably raise around $40 billion in new tax revenue, compared to the $4.8 trillion in spending cuts Republicans are seeking to close the deficit.

quote:

Rep. Dusty Johnson (R-S.D.), a leader of the House GOP’s moderate faction, told reporters Thursday that House Republicans have only two “red lines” in negotiations, one of which is that it not include tax increases. (The other is for the debt ceiling increase to not be “clean,” meaning Republicans will insist on some concessions for raising it.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The E.U. has approved Microsoft's attempt to merge with Activision-Blizzard. This would be the largest consumer tech merger since the AOL-Time Warner merger in 2000.

The U.S. and U.K. regulators are still opposed and the FTC is still moving forward with a lawsuit. With E.U. approval, the largest hurdle outside of the U.S. has been cleared and the fate of the merger will likely be decided entirely by whatever happens in the U.S.

The E.U. decided to approve because the largest area of concern - cloud gaming - is an area that comprises a very small amount of the overall gaming market. However, the U.S. opposition is based on concerns that monopolistic power in this area may have a minimal impact now, but it could hurt innovation and competition going forward if that sector expands. They also argue that it will be more difficult to foster innovation and competition through a forced breakup if there are issues in the future than there is in just not allowing the merger right now.0

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1658121591060848640

quote:

EU regulators on Monday approved Microsoft's $69-billion bid for the acquisition of U.S. game maker Activision Blizzard, setting the stage for the world's largest tech deal in decades.
The approval went through after Microsoft said it would allow rival companies to access some of Activision's games, including the widely popular Call of Duty series.
“These commitments fully address the competition concerns identified by the commission,” EU regulators said in a statement.

The merger has faced opposition in both the U.S. and the U.K.: Last month the British Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) blocked the takeover, saying it would “alter the future of the fast-growing cloud gaming market." In December, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission sued Microsoft in a bid to stop the deal.

Much of the resistance centers around the impact the merger would have on cloud gaming — newer gaming technology that allows users to stream games on phones — with regulators worried the acquisition would scale back the contribution to this sector from competitors like Nvidia.

EU officials said part of the reason the merger was approved was because cloud gaming is still a relatively small market.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Personally, I think Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot (again) on the debt ceiling. Add things like border security or immigration reform is just going to muddy the waters even more. If you want to talk spending cuts with the debt ceiling, you can probably convince some people to be on your side, but with two weeks to go and now they're going to add onto demands and for things that aren't budget related, now they just look like they don't want to make a deal at all. I figured they really didn't want to make a deal beforehand, but now it seems obvious. I don't see how this is a winning issue for them, and I really hope Republicans learn that without crashing the economy first.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone just attacked Congressman Gerry Connolly's office in Virginia looking for the Congressman.

Not a lot of information, but:

- He attacked two staffers with a metal bat.
- They are both in the hospital with serious, but not life-threatening injuries.
- The assailant was asking for Connolly and demanding to know where he was.
- Someone called 911 and the police arrived in about 5 minutes. They subdued and arrested the attacker.
- The Congressman was at a public event and out of the office at the time.
- The attacker is an older man. No info on motive, but it is almost certainly politically motivated.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1658180594495283214

Connolly's been an elected official in Fairfax County for so long he even has a 40 mile hiking trail named after him

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WaPo also saying that White House demands that they close 13 tax loopholes and count the revenue raised from that as part of the deficit reduction was also part of the breakdown. House Republicans are united in insisting that no new revenue be raised.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1658184438503596061
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1658104700313452546

It never stops being funny that the party who insists government spending should work like household spending consistently demands, in their analogy, that the government should refuse to pay their credit card bills or take a raise when trying to deal with their crippling debt.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Personally, I think Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot (again) on the debt ceiling. Add things like border security or immigration reform is just going to muddy the waters even more. If you want to talk spending cuts with the debt ceiling, you can probably convince some people to be on your side, but with two weeks to go and now they're going to add onto demands and for things that aren't budget related, now they just look like they don't want to make a deal at all. I figured they really didn't want to make a deal beforehand, but now it seems obvious. I don't see how this is a winning issue for them, and I really hope Republicans learn that without crashing the economy first.

It's because they have such a slim majority, and McCarthy pawned off everything in sight to be speaker. So every insane wahoo who managed to get elected gets to demand their pet issue also get thrown in the pot.

The Republicans never actually have a strong hand in the popular opinion on their idiotic debt fights, but I also can't think of a single time in my life where they haven't managed to make their debt ceiling or government shutdown position worse over time. They just can't help but use their fiscal temper tantrums to try and get unrelated poo poo that would never pass through.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Kale posted:

I can't wait to see his first debates with Trump in the primaries. No way he can keep up with that guys sheer bluster and some big loud rear end in a top hat actually pushing back on and talking over him constantly versus the other way around. If he actually thinks the bulk of GOP voters give two fucks about results so much as reciting the magic culture war words loudest out of anyone in the pack he is in the wrong party like sorry. You can just make poo poo the gently caress up if you need, which is what Trump will do when he bluster steamrolls his ticket over him with a base that just plain doesnt give a loving real poo poo beyond hearing the main himself say the lines.

I've never been more sure that DeSantis is going to completely get his rear end handed to him by Trump than I am after his "GOP culture of losing/results matter" remarks.

Trump has said that he has no intention of debating challengers--just as Biden isn't planning to debate Williamson, Kennedy, or anyone else who announces.

(I think that'll even go beyond the primaries & at least one will refuse to debate the other after the nominations are made. My hunch is on Biden refusing bc of some excuse like not wanting to "platform" Trump's views.)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Someone just attacked Congressman Gerry Connolly's office in Virginia looking for the Congressman.

Looks like the dude who did this is extra cooked: (Ben Collins is a nbc reporter)

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1658207263566311426

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

- Implement an E-Verify system for employers to prevent them from hiring anyone without U.S. citizenship, a green card, or a work visa.

Doesn't this disproportionately hurt employers (especially farmers) in the south since they tend to use undocumented workers so they can pay them less? (I get it, they're proposing it because it will hurt "the others" more, but still, even they should be able to see this makes things worse all around.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Velocity Raptor posted:

Doesn't this disproportionately hurt employers (especially farmers) in the south since they tend to use undocumented workers so they can pay them less? (I get it, they're proposing it because it will hurt "the others" more, but still, even they should be able to see this makes things worse all around.)

Yes. Every time they crack down on undocumenteds in agricultural areas, the farm owners get badly hurt because no citizen wants to work under those conditions and that pay

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Has anyone found a workaround for Archive.is since it went down?

WSJ says the USDA is considering banning chocolate, strawberry, and other flavored milks from public school lunches.

I can only read part of the article, though.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1658079796448854017

This appears to be the underlying proposal- weird that it's only getting coverage now that the comment period has ended.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/cn/proposed-updates-school-nutrition-standards
https://www.fns.usda.gov/cn/fr-020723

Without digging into it, it's got the same added sugars bullshit as usual, but I can't speak to other elements.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

Yes. Every time they crack down on undocumenteds in agricultural areas, the farm owners get badly hurt because no citizen wants to work under those conditions and that pay

They don't care if it hurts them as long as racism wins.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's also the one thing that could actually be done to both combat illegal immigration AND benefit legal immigrants AND pressure the government to provide a clear path to citizenship AND lots of other stuff.

The Republicans have previously killed it after their wealthy backers pointed out they utterly depend on it, from rich trust fund kids building a fancy mansion to farmers running small farms, they all use the labour it would make illegal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Push El Burrito posted:

They don't care if it hurts them as long as racism wins.

Well, that and the threat of it keeps the workers in line. There's a line they walk where workers have to be able to be immediately deported with a single phone call while the worksite gets at worst a slap on the wrist. Otherwise the undocumented workers might get crazy ideas like "unionizing" or "asking for basic worker protections" or "being paid a reasonable amount".

Depending on how severe the penalties for failing this system are it'll either keep that line going or cripple their agricultural sector.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Willa Rogers posted:

Trump has said that he has no intention of debating challengers--just as Biden isn't planning to debate Williamson, Kennedy, or anyone else who announces.

(I think that'll even go beyond the primaries & at least one will refuse to debate the other after the nominations are made. My hunch is on Biden refusing bc of some excuse like not wanting to "platform" Trump's views.)

I'm not sure whether or not he'll stick to his no debates stance. Being a huge bully to a group of absolute losers while the crowd cheers is like his version of heaven. Assuming Ivanka brings him Diet Cokes during commercial breaks.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I mean technically, but I don't know that I want to frame it as hurting employers when we're stepping on their ability to exploit the absolute ever-living poo poo out of people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kalli posted:

Looks like the dude who did this is extra cooked: (Ben Collins is a nbc reporter)

Local congressional staff are especially vulnerable to crazies. Cap police don't keep a presence much outside DC.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

I mean I am 99% sure CIA didn't do it, but every other organization I am 100% sure about so that is still a condemnation of CIA.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I figured they really didn't want to make a deal beforehand, but now it seems obvious. I don't see how this is a winning issue for them, and I really hope Republicans learn that without crashing the economy first.

It's a winning issue for them because if there's a default and the economy crashes people are going to blame Biden. Most people don't pay attention to any of this inside baseball politics stuff. They are just going to see the economy crashing down around them on Bidens watch. And even the few pay that pay attention maybe a little bit? They are just going to be wondering why they have now lost their jobs all because Biden wouldn't sign off on making welfare people have to work for their welfare or whatever else their local (Sinclair owned) news station tells them. And well doggoneit they never even heard of this debt limit thing during the Trump years so obviously he was a better president and the election is right around the corner and he's running again so...

That's why its a winning issue.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gyges posted:

I'm not sure whether or not he'll stick to his no debates stance. Being a huge bully to a group of absolute losers while the crowd cheers is like his version of heaven. Assuming Ivanka brings him Diet Cokes during commercial breaks.

Trump gets that from his rallies, and without pesky questions.

If the polling showing the margin between Trump & DeSantis continuing to mirror the same sort of margin as between Biden & Kennedy I think he'll stick to his pledge to not debate, for similar reasons to Biden not engaging in primary debates. (Why give your opponents air, or airtime, when you're leading by so much?)

eta: If, on the other hand, the Trump-DeSantis spread tightens up then I could see him debating. (I doubt that Biden will ever debate Kennedy, though.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Biden just needs to mint the coin already if the GOP is going to ask for ridiculous things over something like this

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Gyges posted:

I mean technically, but I don't know that I want to frame it as hurting employers when we're stepping on their ability to exploit the absolute ever-living poo poo out of people.

Sorry, I should've clarified that I meant "farmers in the south" as in "business owners in red states", which is who the GOP tends to listen to.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden just needs to mint the coin already if the GOP is going to ask for ridiculous things over something like this

I thought that everyone from Biden to Yellen to Powell have ruled that out, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

I thought that everyone from Biden to Yellen to Powell have ruled that out, though.
I'm mostly joking but they need to use the 14th Amendment option then

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

The white nationalists are running the show now, and they don't actually give a poo poo what happens to business owners.

It's the same thing as every other culture war issue the big-business Republicans pushed. They spent decades dangling bait in front of the bigots to buy support for their economic policies, but in the end, the bigots yanked that bait so hard that the fishermen got dragged into the water and now the bigots can gorge themselves on the whole drat bait box without any regard for the hapless fishermen drowning in the background.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

It's a winning issue for them because if there's a default and the economy crashes people are going to blame Biden.

I don’t think this is a given.

The bigger dipshits they are about it the more likely it is they will be blamed.

Edit : it’s a winning issue in their primaries.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Willa Rogers posted:

Trump gets that from his rallies, and without pesky questions.

If the polling showing the margin between Trump & DeSantis continuing to mirror the same sort of margin as between Biden & Kennedy I think he'll stick to his pledge to not debate, for similar reasons to Biden not engaging in primary debates. (Why give your opponents air, or airtime, when you're leading by so much?)

eta: If, on the other hand, the Trump-DeSantis spread tightens up then I could see him debating. (I doubt that Biden will ever debate Kennedy, though.)

I agree, but I'm sure there's very little that can top his crowd cheering as he shits all over his opponents' wives for being ugly and dumb only for the opponent to shake his hand and acquiesce to his power.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rudy Giuliani sued for rape and sexual assault.

quote:

A former associate is suing Rudy Giuliani for alleged sexual assault and harassment, wage theft and other misconduct, accusing the former mayor and Trump lawyer of making "sexual demands" and going on "alcohol-drenched rants that included sexist, racist, and antisemitic remarks," many of which were allegedly recorded.

Noelle Dunphy said she began working for Giuliani in 2019 as his director of business development. Giuliani "began abusing Ms. Dunphy almost immediately after she started working for" him, according to her lawsuit.

"He made clear that satisfying his sexual demands -- which came virtually anytime, anywhere -- was an absolute requirement of her employment and of his legal representation," the lawsuit said.

According to the lawsuit, a week into her employment, Giuliani had Dunphy flown to New York on a chartered plane and insisted she stay in a guest suite in his Upper East Side apartment. The two drank and at one point "Giuliani then pulled her head onto his penis, without asking for or obtaining any form of consent. He held her by her hair. It became clear to Ms. Dunphy that there was no way out of giving him oral sex. She did so, against her will," the lawsuit said.

Giuliani often demanded that Dunphy work naked, in a bikini, or in short shorts with an American flag on them that he bought for her, the lawsuit said.

"When they were apart, they would often work remotely via videoconference, and during those conferences Giuliani almost always asked her to remove her clothes on camera. He often called from his bed, where he was visibly touching himself under a white sheet," the lawsuit said.

That last paragraph is all sorts of :barf:-worthy.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Timby posted:

Rudy Giuliani sued for rape and sexual assault.

That last paragraph is all sorts of :barf:-worthy.

And in the filing was this little gem. (yes I know it's Olbermann, but I still checked the source)
https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1658201258656759809?s=20

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

drat, what is it with NY pols & their sex poo poo?

Weiner, Spitz, Cuomo and now Ghouliani.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Willa Rogers posted:

drat, what is it with NY pols & their sex poo poo?

Weiner, Spitz, Cuomo and now Ghouliani.

"When you're a star, they let you do it..."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do wonder if that sexual assault lawsuit against Trump being successful encouraged this woman to file this suit. The timing is interesting. None of what is in there surprises me in the least (it's been pretty clear that Trump was likely selling pardons because of who got pardoned by him).

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Debt ceiling talks have broken down today. They have temporarily adjourned with plans for Congressional leaders and Biden to meet tomorrow.
:yeeclaw:
most galling is none of this loving matters to these people. they just want to "win", they don't care what that entails besides "democrats don't get what they want"
"if you do this you'll save millions of lives"
"meh"
"if you do this millions will die"
"meh"
"democrats want this"
"i will fight against it with every fiber of my being"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol we called selling pardons here on SA years ago.

I wonder if anyone actually took them up on it?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

cr0y posted:

i wouldn't say we "called it" so much as "saw the receipts"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kalli posted:

I can't get over the fact that this guy's claim is essentially that he was banished to the shadow realm like a yu-gi-oh character.

What heinous crimes did he commit to enrage the pharaoh so?

Seriously though, it sounds like he's got some serious mental issues and hopefully he gets the help he needs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

cr0y posted:

:hmmyes:
You've been able to buy your way out of a ban for decades. :10bux:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

If Biden were to invoke the 14th Amendment, how long would it take? Is it instant?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ither posted:

If Biden were to invoke the 14th Amendment, how long would it take? Is it instant?

Assuming someone doesn't sue immediately and suspend it?

Like in theory, Biden issues a executive order under the 14th amendment to Treasury to take out more bonds and then ??? uncharted American legal territory.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ither posted:

Invoking the 14th Amendment is Biden saying, "America is Constitutionally required to pay it's debts." So it would be instant, and any delay would come from some insane Federal Judge deciding to stay the paying of debts pending the legal maneuvering.

Given the state of our courts, there's a decent chance whoever files the lawsuit gets some Trump dumbfuck who will take a break from eating paint chips to destroy the economy.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

deoju posted:

:hmmyes:
You've been able to buy your way out of a ban for decades. :10bux:

This isn't gonna hold up in court Rudy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

most galling is none of this loving matters to these people. they just want to "win", they don't care what that entails besides "democrats don't get what they want"
"if you do this you'll save millions of lives"
"meh"
"if you do this millions will die"
"meh"
"democrats want this"
"i will fight against it with every fiber of my being"

I mean a chunk of the Republican party, including their former President and likely future Presidential candidate literally tried to overthrow the existing US Government, so them not caring at all for the well-being of the nation seems a feature, not a bug.

This is a daily reminder to not allow Trump to return to that office under any circumstances, US democracy will not survive it.